BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brand of Seat Heater

Post Thanks / Like

Brand of Seat Heater

Hi Guys,

My plan has been to put heated seats in the car and I have come to the point where it is time to purchase them. I need some help deciding on what brand to use. I know some guys use WarmSeats which are waterproof. There are also a ton of options on Amazon.

Any advice on brand? Do I need waterproof with vinyl seats?

Thanks!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the CobraHeat set heaters three times. In all cases, purchased them directly from their website. Seems they're almost always showing on sale. Quick delivery and they work great. I've only used the regular ones because I figure they're under the seat covers plus I don't intentionally let the cockpit get wet. (!) But I know lots of guys use the waterproof ones as well at $10 more each.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I've used the CobraHeat set heaters three times. In all cases, purchased them directly from their website. Seems they're almost always showing on sale. Quick delivery and they work great. I've only used the regular ones because I figure they're under the seat covers plus I don't intentionally let the cockpit get wet. (!) But I know lots of guys use the waterproof ones as well at $10 more each.
    Thanks for the info. Stupid question, do I need to order one or two? I see there are two pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Thanks for the info. Stupid question, do I need to order one or two? I see there are two pads
    Not a stupid question. That's been asked before. Each pair of pads is for one seat. One for the bottom cushion. One for the back. The wiring harness hooks the two together onto a single switch. For two seats, two sets.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again! Good to know

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobraheat like others. Pads are easy to install in the seats. Nifty two stage switches that go nicely on your dash. Relatively easy to combine the wiring with the Ron Francis rear wiring harness then break the two wires are near the back of the trans tunnel behind the seats. This keeps the wires hidden and makes for a smart looking installation.

BTW, the Cobraheat kits throw a ton of heat on the "hi" setting. Good enough for Northern Ontario.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 05-07-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Cobraheat like others. Pads are easy to install in the seats. Nifty two stage switches that go nicely on your dash. Relatively easy to combine the wiring with the Ron Francis rear wiring harness then break the two wires are near the back of the trans tunnel behind the seats. This keeps the wires hidden and makes for a smart looking installation.

BTW, the Cobraheat kits through a ton of heat on the "hi" setting. Good enough for Northern Ontario.
    It is nice to hear the positive reviews. I am still undecided and might be the guinea pig for these. https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Era-Carb...s=seat+heaters

$55 total for both seats. Not sure if I will risk it or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    It is nice to hear the positive reviews. I am still undecided and might be the guinea pig for these. https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Era-Carb...s=seat+heaters

$55 total for both seats. Not sure if I will risk it or not.
    Did you wind up using these?
    MK4 complete kit w/powder coated chassis, FFR power steering, 3-link solid Moser rear end w/ cast aluminum cover, low-back vintage racing seats, BluePrint 306 Carb, hydraulic clutch, CNC triple reservoir, Breeze radiator mounts and fan shroud, Metco drive loop, Derale PS cooler, CF dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried using a different switch with the CobraHeat seat heaters? The ones that come with the kit look nice and I'm sure they work great, but to my eye they look a little too 'modern' relative to all the other Lucas-style switchgear in the car. Has anyone tried using a Lucas two position switch with these (or any) seat heaters?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Has anyone tried using a different switch with the CobraHeat seat heaters? The ones that come with the kit look nice and I'm sure they work great, but to my eye they look a little too 'modern' relative to all the other Lucas-style switchgear in the car. Has anyone tried using a Lucas two position switch with these (or any) seat heaters?
    I did
    See my build thread post 113-119 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post279787
    I mounted them on the vertical area between the trans tunnel and the dash. Having the indicator light would be nice, but I'm happy with my decision.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

11. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post