Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adjusting ride height

Post Thanks / Like

adjusting ride height

My shock absorbers didn't come with a C-spanner and I was wondering where I can buy one? Its for a MK4.
    If someone knows where I can buy a universal one please let me know!
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the weight off with a floor jack and use your hands. Easy.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    And by using your hands, you won't leave tooling marks from the spanner wrench...

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Take the weight off with a floor jack and use your hands. Easy.
    That's how I did it, but if you want a spanner wrench, here are a couple for you:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Coil-O...ench,2681.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-2...nch,24621.html

Good Luck & Happy Leveling!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    But with the chassis on jack stands I can only take up the slack by hand, then I need to compress the spring a little. That's what I can't do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    But with the chassis on jack stands I can only take up the slack by hand, then I need to compress the spring a little. That's what I can't do.
    Really? Interesting. I've never had one that needed to be adjusted against the spring when the suspension is hanging. The recommended practice is to start with the adjusters barely snug against the springs, again with the suspension hanging. Then put it on the ground, roll back and forth a bit to settle the suspension, and check ride height. At that point, ride height for me has always been high. Typically an inch or more. Then the adjustment starts, a turn or two at a time, again with the suspension loose, and always turning the front and rear pair exactly the same amount. At that point, the springs start to get pretty loose when the suspension is hanging. That's why the instructions to use tie wraps on the shock hat to keep the springs seated in the hat. This process seems to work pretty well. I've been cautioned to not turn individual adjusters unless using corner scales. Always in front and rear pairs.

Do you have something other than the stock springs or coilovers? Maybe that's the difference.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-09-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not common to be able to fully adjust ride height without a spanner wrench. The softer the spring chosen, the greater the preload needed to achieve a particular height. It might require 1-2 inches of preload on some springs and you're not going to do that by hand.

Also, some brands have a lock ring, so that requires two wrenches. My ride tech coil-overs have a pinch bolt to lock the adjuster ring, but the wrench is still needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed, I have the standard suspension parts that came with the kit. I will try again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why are you raising the ride height/compressing the spring? To lower it, increase the gap between the spring and the spring perch. You shouldn't have the spring compressed when the shock/spring combo isn't under the weight of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can tell you is with the car on jack stands, and the perch wound up so its touching the spring, the ride height is too low. What do I do to raise the ride height? I thought I need to raise the perch more.

Post Thanks / Like
    My coupe worked out just like Paul described. When the distance between the frame rails and ground was the recommended 4 inches, there was a gap between the spring and its perch when jacked up on the frame. I raised mine up to 5 inches to get some oil pan clearance. That required a wrench. Now I need a different oil pan so I can put it back down where it belongs.

HTH, Glen
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17

Post Thanks / Like
    DO NOT get the MOROSO Brand spanner. MY alignment guy tried it and the end piece that's supposed to fit into the hole was too big, he tried to grind it down and it still did not work. He ended up using a center punch.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rsistYmm=false
    Last edited by mcwho; 05-10-2017 at 08:15 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the wrench that works with the FFR Koni adjustment holes (round).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a set screw in the collar? If so remove it and trash it. After removing it, check the threads which may have been damaged by the screw. Also note that sometimes the threaded collar wants to rotate along w/ the collar so you get no adjustment even as the collar rotates.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    What ride height are you trying? Mine is 4" F, 4 3/4" R, and I have over 1/2" free play between spring and collar, both front and rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because I live on a non evenly paved road with some dirt sections, I had my ride height set at 4 3/4 front and 5 1/4 rear.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can tell you is with the car on jack stands, and the perch wound up so its touching the spring, the ride height is too low. What do I do to raise the ride height? I thought I need to raise the perch more.
    Hey Chop, did you ever discover anything wrong with your setup? Mine is doing the exact same thing... frame is too low with the collar barely on the spring. Had to screw it down another 3/4" to get good ride height. Been posting about it in my build thread... when I have the ride height set and jack the front end, my springs never come loose... always compressed.
    Last edited by Boydster; 03-18-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the correct length shock? It sounds like it's too short?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Do you have the correct length shock? It sounds like it's too short?
    Yeah, my front shocks are a bit over 15" extended, as called out in the manual.

Thanks...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    If the spring is seated properly, maybe you need a shorter spring.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHsr View Post
    If the spring is seated properly, maybe you need a shorter spring.
    Well, the adjustment is coming in, that is, I can set the frame height. But its odd that I have to lower the collar to compress the spring to raise the frame to get the correct height... my frame starts out low. Whereas others have had to raise the collar, let the spring loose in order to drop the frame to their desired ride height. Some folks start out hi, some start out low.

I'm going to rework the ride heights tomorrow, it seems I've set them higher that they need to be. I'll see where it ends up.

I really dont think anything is wrong with my car... 351/427 engine, TKO600, no big changes or add-ons to make it heavier.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    perhaps we have a clarification problem going on here... Collar up or down would be different depending on how you mount the KONI shock right? if you put the shock body on the bottom or top, then the direction you move the collar is reversed, for example shock body down then if you lower the collar = lower ride height, and conversely shock body UP, then lowering the collar = taller ride height.

I don't think anybody above has suggested which way they mounted the shocks and I think that would matter in this conversation.

Chris AKA Gromit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    perhaps we have a clarification problem going on here... Collar up or down would be different depending on how you mount the KONI shock right? if you put the shock body on the bottom or top, then the direction you move the collar is reversed, for example shock body down then if you lower the collar = lower ride height, and conversely shock body UP, then lowering the collar = taller ride height.

I don't think anybody above has suggested which way they mounted the shocks and I think that would matter in this conversation.

Chris AKA Gromit.
    You're very correct, Chris. My shocks are all shock body up, spring down. The collar is on top of the spring.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Manual shows mounting the rear shocks with the spring up which is opposite the front pair. I don’t know if it matters either way but I’m guessing yours are upside down compared to most others which explains the confusion and different results. Maybe someone can clarify why the manual has them set up this way?
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Red Koni shocks can be mounted either body up or body down. Doesn't change how the shock works. As long as it and the coilover clears everything. Typically fronts are mounted body up and rears body down for the Red Konis. Silver double adjustable shocks can only be mounted body down in all four places.

My references to adjusting ride height (back on topic) was always tightening (raising ride height) or loosening (lowering ride height) the coilover. Whether that's up or down with the collar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the shock mounted in the lower hole on the shock tower? This picture shows incorrect mounting location I first used..IMG_1272.JPG
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    Do you have the shock mounted in the lower hole on the shock tower? This picture shows incorrect mounting location I first used..IMG_1272.JPG
    I only have 1 hole... no choice.

Front shocks are spring down, collar on top. Rear shocks are spring up, collar underneath. Did it that way on the front for convenience, on the rear to clear stuff.

Today I set the rear shocks at 1-1/2" from collar to lip of threaded tube, both sides equal, spring is drop-away loose when jacked. On the ground, frame height is L 4-1/4, R 4-1/8. I cannot go any lower because the shock collar will be into the lower shock bracket. Shocks are spaced as far aft as possible on the lower bracket.

Today I set the front shocks at 3.0" from the lip of the threaded tube, both sides equal, spring is still compressed when jacked. On the ground, frame height at the front suspension upright is L 4-1/16, R 4-1/4, best I can measure. Springs dont rebound exactly the same every time.

This is where I'm going to do everything else. I dont know why mine is different from so many others... most everyone has a car that sits high and loose front springs when jacked... I do not. I tried setting the front collars just on the springs (maybe hand tight) and the frame was about 3" off the ground.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the spring rate of the front springs? 550 lb

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used a rubber strap wrench, like this:
    wrenches.jpg
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    What is the spring rate of the front springs? 550 lb

Rick
    500 is printed on the spring.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    My only guess would be that you have a set of 300 lb springs that are labeled 500 measure the spring compression to get a estimated spring rate

I have a set of 550 lb springs that you can have for the cost of shipping it you want to try them

Good luck

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 03-21-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Boydster do you have the DA Konis? They may be a little different configuration than the usual red Konis. Also Koni makes different length eyes if you get to where you can't get the height you want. OTOH 4 to 4 1/4 inch is a very common height at the front so you may be done.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Pictures!!
    Pictures are worth a thousand words, agreed. or we could just keep typing

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Boydster do you have the DA Konis? They may be a little different configuration than the usual red Konis. Also Koni makes different length eyes if you get to where you can't get the height you want. OTOH 4 to 4 1/4 inch is a very common height at the front so you may be done.
    Hey Craig. No, just the regular red Konis that come stock with a complete kit.

Maybe it's because my iron block 351/427 weighs about 550 lbs. The coyote looks like about 445 and a 5.0 about 411. More weight means you start out lower on the springs and have to crank down to get the frame up.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Pictures are worth a thousand words, agreed. or we could just keep typing

Chris AKA Gromit
    Here's a bunch of words.

I think I have it set pretty well now, so not going to undo it all for pics. Mostly just really wondering why my frame height starts out quite a bit lower than most others... Much as the OP of this thread. I've come to the conclusion that its all in engine weight.

This 3" on the LF equals 4-1/16" on the frame height measured at the upright.

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Boyd.

If it means anything, my setup is very similar to yours. 500# front spring, 350# rear spring. 427 iron Dart. At full droop, my rear spring is off the collar nearly an inch, for a rear ride height of 4.25. On the front, at full droop, the spring is still compressed to where it needs a spanner to adjust it, at a ride height of 3.9 inches. My measurement from top of collar to top of threaded housing (per your picture) is 3.05 driver side, 2.9 pass side. It did seem weird to me to have slack in the rear spring, and compression on the front, but I figured as long as I have plenty of adjustment room on the threaded housing (and I do), I'm good with it.

Pet the dog.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd

I have a 390FE with iron heads that weights about 650 lbs I could not get the ride height set with the 500 lb FFR springs no matter how much I preloaded the coil overs the ride height would settle down to about 3.5 inches after a few hundred miles

To get the correct ride height I had to install 9 inch 550 lb springs on the front coil overs and still had to preload the coil overs about 3/4 of an inch 6 turns

My weight is about 2700 lbs with about 1700 lbs front and 1000 lbs rear. The reduced weight on the rear springs made the ride very harsh and I replaced the 350 lb springs with 250 lb 9 inch springs which helped the ride but hurt the handling

To help correct the handling I installed anti sway bars front and rear now I am happy with the ride height and the handling

I’m sure that it doesn’t handle as well as one with a 50/50 weight balance but you have to do the best you can with what you have

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 03-21-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast