Miller Customs

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: # 1002, SVTFreaks build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I modified the dremel router depth tool today and cut out to flush mount my cowl covers. It's not perfect, but a little extra glass behind and a touch of body filler and they'll look great. Here is the tool and how I just cut the brace off. It took some patience for sure though.

Here is final "routed" product.

I did install the driveshaft cover also. Pain to do once the tunnel is in....

Lastly, I turned the body over to finish back filling my tail light holes. Also going to glass in some metal plates for the rear top bolts. And I'm going to glass in some plates around the front top mount bolts to help spread the force out and prevent cracking I hope. Also have to build up the backs of the cowl access holes to have strength for the rivnuts that will be counter sunk there. That'll be next Mondays work. I'm off next week and hope to have the body on and maybe close to working on power windows by the weeks end.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

2. Likes erlihemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job on the Cowl Covers!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster, Fenderless (Maybe), Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    Nice job on the Cowl Covers!
    Thanks!

A little glass work today. Glassed in some washers for the back top mount places to help reinforce the rivnuts and hold them in. Got plenty epoxy down around the nuts. Then I made some plates to reinforce the front top mount areas and help spread the load out. Hopefully prevent any stress and cracking. Then I built up the area around my access panels where I counter sinking them in since it was pretty thin. That's it for today. Got some errands to run and grab some body filler. Think I'll do the body seams tomorrow before I put the body on maybe Wednesday.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a carbon fuel vent canister today. 1 1/2 pvc pipe. Fish tank charcoal filler with dry rite to remove water. Excuse my messy bench

The parts.

Inlet end

Vent end. Just a pattern of 1/8" holes. Can also see the media in some gas to test it. This is the dry rite that'll go in last to help dry the air going into the tank and hopefully help with E10's affinity for water.

Fish tank charcoal inside a Panty hose foot then pulled tight and tied off and packed in.

The dry rite. I filled the carbon the same way. Then pulled tight and tied off. I left extrato help keep it tight so it won't let vapors get around the media if I mount it horizontal

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished product. Both ends. Cap not glued on yet. Gonna let dry rite sit in gas overnight to ensure it'll work. Just some extra help for the humid south Louisiana air. Carbon should work well enough alone but I had it laying around so trying it out.

Tomorrow lll sand and paintit black.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a really nice touch on the access panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    That is a really nice touch on the access panels.
    Thanks! The only hurdle I have left is to figure out what type of seal stripping to use. It has to be thin and be able to keep water out.

More good progress today. Turned the body back over, cleaned up the access edges. 4 layers of cloth yielded thick ledges for the plates. Then I decided to do the body seams with it off the car. I use 3M platinum plus. Then on the car it went. I also went and got the doors, top and waterfall out of storage and cleaned up the top.

But something is wrong. All my body fasteners lined up with minimal fuss. Firewall bolts, body side rivets and rear bolts. Something definitely isn't right for that to happen lol

Tomorrow, I think I'll reinstall the doors and fit the waterfall (haven't had it in yet) and maybeput the top on so I can start working on power windows.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Watcha planning on doing with the tail lights? looks like you filled in the space for the standard FFR lights. Going with something flush?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Watcha planning on doing with the tail lights? looks like you filled in the space for the standard FFR lights. Going with something flush?
    Yessir. Going to put hagan 9" flush mount teardrops instead. And a 12" flush mount third brake light in the top. Above the rear window.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Thanks! The only hurdle I have left is to figure out what type of seal stripping to use. It has to be thin and be able to keep water out.
    Since you put thicker glass under the lip, why not pull your router out and drop in an 1/8" bit then cut a small o-ring groove in the flange. McMaster-Carr has just about any size o-ring that you could fit into the groove. You would not need much of the o-ring sticking out of the groove to provide a positive seal.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    Since you put thicker glass under the lip, why not pull your router out and drop in an 1/8" bit then cut a small o-ring groove in the flange. McMaster-Carr has just about any size o-ring that you could fit into the groove. You would not need much of the o-ring sticking out of the groove to provide a positive seal.
    Wow. I love it! Thanks Tim!

No pics yet. But I got the doors back in (noatches yet) and waterfall fit up. Started to fit the roll bar but without having my basic seat plan sorted out to know where my heads gonna fall, I elected to defer that till I take it apart. Got some minor door refitting to do. Top will go on tomorrow and then I can start the windows but I don't have the materials to make the plans that (I forgot the name) shared here. Maybe I'll go run errands tomorrow lol.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Top is back on. Waterfall is in. Doors are pretty darn close. Power window time. Then I think I'll try to get the blower on.

The flange for the window weatherstripping is too thick. I need to thin it out but I'm tired. Head hurts. Going take a break.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

15. Likes Dodgeman liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345