Likes Likes:  67
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: # 1002, SVTFreaks build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Piddled with fuel system more today. Waiting on 4 little fittings and a filler tube. I did get one pump wired up until I decide how to run second pump, and fuel gauge sender wired and gauge reprogrammed. No pics of any interest. Can I say, those aeromotive stealth 340 pumps are QUIET!

Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Curious if you ever got back to fitting the tail lights

Steve
    Steve, I worked on taillights a bit and am cautiously optimistic. See the preview photo below. It ain't as flush as it looks but I think I'm on the right path. Other than an hours work to finish up fuel, I'll be tackling this next week, and once I'm sure it works, I'll post what I did.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

3. Likes FF33rod, TxMike64, JOP33, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made up my fuel filler neck today and got it and cap installed. After hours of looking at options, I like the ffr supplied one the best. I'll countersink it so it's flush (and add some support to the back) and take it apart and chrome the parts you see for final assembly.

Installed. Had to move it slightly from originally planned spot.

Tomorrow, I'll be trying to finish up the passenger side taillight. If it works as planned, I'll document the drivers side over the next couple days and show how I did it.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's where I want to put my filler as well, not a problem really with the Boyd tank.

Look forward to the tail light details

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, hydraulic clutch, IRS, Foose 18" Wheels, 245 & 315 BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S tires, DRL, power windows, roadster & hard top, Digital Guard Dog Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting the right angles to get to the boyd inlet is kinda funky. Im not completely satisfied with this neck. I may remake it using a mandrel bent 90 and cut a slice out to get the last little bend to the cap. Dunno yet.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using this 90 degree hose from http://www.replicaparts.com/Hot%20Ro...ose%20page.htm
    If you leave it long going into the tank it will come out to the stock location (in the trunk fill) or cutting it off brings the fill location up to the shoulder where you you have it...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, hydraulic clutch, IRS, Foose 18" Wheels, 245 & 315 BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S tires, DRL, power windows, roadster & hard top, Digital Guard Dog Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Steve. But since I also moved it out toward the body edge, now I have another angle to make. I tried that same 90* hose.

Taillight content!

As yall may know, I am using hagan 9" teardrop flush mounts. But they are really designed for steel. So it took some thinking how to make them work in glass. I talked to a few more knowledgeable and experienced builders before trying a blend of their advice. Mr Tim provided a ton of guidance.

First thing I did (after cutting the holes, see previous post for that) was figure where the box would go and glue in the studs for that. I used a Devon product that we use at work that's works rally well for applications like this. I roughed up thr plates and smeared it in good, applied it while the box was located and moved it around a bit to get good adherence. Then, since the box would go straight in and out on the bottom due to wheel well, I slotted the bottom slot to the end and now it goes down from the top, then goes on top stud and bolts in.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

10. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next, the big issue I had was the red lens part wasn't thick enough to go through the glass. So I trimmed the lens to have a lip all the way around then I thinned the body around the cutout so the lens sat down in it. This allowed the red lens do stick up just enough.

Next, I cut a piece of lexan just slightly larger than the box. The idea is the lexan, then the box is installed, will push the lens and hold it tight

Once all bolted in, it looks like this!

It sits up just enough that I think when I do my paint, it'll be very close and require very little sanding and fitting. Then the cut and buff will make it exact. I'm doing it then because I don't want it flush now then recessed once the paint thickness is there. The tip top and very bottom, I think I'm gonna also add a dab of the epoxy putty on final assembly, just to add a little extra support since those spots are rhe farthest from the box edges. Then it'll be easily ground out right at the edge should I need to remove the lens ever.

Anyway, the concept worked! Just FYI, the other plan, which Mr Tim used, was to add another layer of the red and use the glue that hagan uses and not recess the lens. If you want an idea of another path that would work also.

Now, I'll be fixing the edges in a few spots I got too aggressive and took too much off, then moving on to drivers side. Once I get them wired up and working, I'll post some pics.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

12. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that didn't take long at all. Edges fixed up, all installed and wired up. They work great!
    Off

Running lights

Brake lights

They go bright/dim or bright/off for blinkers. Exactly like the ffr lights. They come with a bright/dim module you add if needed. I thought about adding a short led strip at bottom for turn signal but I think this will work just fine. I am very pleased. (They look a little less bright than the photo on driving lights and actually a little more bright in brakes. Maybe the photo angle)
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

14. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod, JimLev, HVACMAN, peterh226 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks excellent! gotta be pleased with that... thanks for the details.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Looks excellent! gotta be pleased with that... thanks for the details.
    I have to admit that I am very happy with the results. The driver side is almost done now also. The epoxy on the studs is curing then I'll final assemble it next shop day next week. Then on to trunk and hood stuff. I do have to mod tbe blower Inlet a touch.

You're very welcome, Steve. Hope it helps.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567