Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  353
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: # 1002, SVTFreaks build.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometime during my build I gave up on having both the roadster windshield and hard top swap. At this point my top was off square corner to corner by 1/2". Same direction as yours I believe. Mold issue I'm guessing from other posts. Fortunately it was summer in a dry year and I used 2 push clamps on it. One along the passenger side window path rear to front pillar and one diagonally from drivers rear to passenger side front pillar. Then I left it set out in the sun a couple weeks. If I used a heat gun I think I would use it on low in the inside upper corner and cycle it a few times over about a week. I only gained about 1/4" after spring back and the roof was still a parallelogram so when I bolted it on I pushed that corner a little more and attached it under tension. My passenger window was still tighter than the drivers. The mold is asymmetrical. It hasn't cracked and I have run it hard, but I did reinforce the cowl area a little more. The body seems to have "relaxed" a little over the last year and my doors have stabilized. Maybe I'll paint it next winter...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks erli. I have already reinforced my cowl a bit. If the stretch is too much, I may do the long time thing you did.

I have given up on making it swappable myself. I'm even kind of considering glassing it on permanent but I'm a little worried about it flexing and cracking at that joint so currently working towards it never coming off but telling people "yeah it can but it's not easy". Which wouldn't be completely untrue.

Either way, I've kinda got the red *** so I'm taking a break for a bit to finish a fireplace project for the wife lol.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Bathroom project done and some overtime out the way. Couldn’t wait to get into the shop and try to spread this top a bit. Made up my jack bolts, and they worked. Sorta. Had to reinforce the rod. 1/2” is a long way in fiberglass. But it got there. Bolted top down in new holes. Everything good so far. Measure opening. 32 1/16. Perfect. Then....

*POP*.

Uhoh.

Crap......

Yep. 1/2” is too much. The lower windshield area split. Cracked from too much force on it. I had even spread the needed change out over the entire half but that last bit was just too much.

Got an email in to factory five now to see how to proceed. I could cut pie wedges out and change the shape and reglassthat whole corner but I feel I shouldn’t have to. If the remivebale soft top had side curtains, I’d be looking hard at that right now....

Maybe it’s time to do my bathroom remodel.....
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    While I wait to hear back from ffr about my cracked hard top, I decided to fit up the roadster windshield. Easy peasy. It seems my rear body may be tweaked a tiny bit but I got the measurements real close to what ffr says. It’s tough to get things to look right and measure right with these out of kilter bodies.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Better pic.

Dave B at ffr contacted me yesterday. The top is def out of whack at that front corner. So they offered me a new top. But over the weekend, I did some soul searching. This project started as a roadster and occasional top use car. But, long story short, after seeing how tough that top is to get off and on, it became a full time coupe. This has caused me to really rethink the whole top delimma. So, after some talking with Dave, they offered store credit on the top to use towards a soft top. That was very very generous of them. I say again, all my dealings with ffr have been top notch. Their customer service has been great with me.

So now, I have some time to decide, I will either be going soft top or Dan Ruth’s hard top. I see things i like about both and advantages to both. At the moment, I feel that the soft top is the way to go for what I want to do (with side curtains) but I wanna think it through. Meanwhile, the windshield is mounted and I think I’ll start finding places to mount the intercooler reservoir and LTR while I save a few bucks for the top.

Oh, and I’m squeezing a bathroom remodel and expansion in with the car for the next few months lol.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

6. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stv freak if you go on Eastwood.com they have about anything for building cars and they do sell seam sealer I was looking at it last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Oh, and I’m squeezing a bathroom remodel and expansion in with the car for the next few months lol.
    I am impressed... How are you going to get a bathroom in the car? Seems like there would be no room.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

9. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for a cooling system flush?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sturgis, I’ll prolly use their seam sealer when the time comes.

Hah! You guys are funny!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    After I glassed in the door tops a bit (still have to layer some cloth and get it right, just got the parts I cut out in place with some flocking), I started working on supercharger support gear. I started with the low temp cooler and after an hour or so, I come to the conclusion that the mustang one won’t fit. I’ve already found a couple alternatives that will fit where I’m thinking I want it (behind the axle on the trunk panel that drops down). So I moved on to the resevoir. I thought it would be the hard one, but after trying a couple spots, it ended up here. I still have to make the top support mount (the rusty plate for it is bolted to the tank). But it’s clear of the driveshaft and moving suspension parts. I’ll post the remainder of the mount next week once it’s finished. It hangs about 1/4-1/2” lower than the frame but I think it’ll be ok consider its plastic, flexes some and the radius edge should help it should it contact anything. Even if it does, even if it causes a puncture, this fluid system isn’t required. I can still drive it home.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'm back in bidness, yall! The major bathroom remodel is done and my soft top came in. So back on the hot rod. Short term, I need to get the top fit, doors finished and blower on and tune in so I can do the hood. That and the trunk then it's time for blowing up for paint I think.

Started today by adding the final (I hope) glass to fill in the door tops. After I sand this smooth, hopefully this is done.

Then I started on the top. Got the clevises in, and since it didn't have different colored washers like the instructions say, I stamped the drivers one with a D. Got the rear belt on. I have to mount the front bow now but it has material attached and I'd rather not work with that around the fresh glass (it'll be a few hours before it cures). So gonna take a break for the day maybe. Tomorrow I'll try to sand the door tops and maybe mount top more.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't leave it alone. Had to see what the top looks like. Threw some freezer paper over the wet glass and moved on. I love it! So glad I went this route now.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

15. Likes FF33rod, Mrallsport32, JimLev, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That soft top looks fantastic!
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

17. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the tan, that looks great.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

19. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    I really like the tan, that looks great.
    Thanks, Bill! I'm glad you talked me into the soft top. Really appreciate the time you spend talking to me and answering my questions.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

21. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the side curtains fit today. Then went on to final align the doors and get the gaps right. That was pretty easy since it has been done before. Then moved on to the door tops. Typical ffr, they don't line up to all points. So I aligned the belt line and will fill the top up to match the dash and rear. I will even be able to leave some curve in it since not using windows and give it a slightly different look. First layer of filler in just to smooth out the glass. Then I'll build up to match.

The rear of that door needs to come out a touch. That will be easier to do when taking it apart for paint. Won't be bad to get that right. The drivers side fits just as good but the edges need some attention since ffr got a little happy with the cutter on it.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

23. Likes Mrallsport32, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today, now that the doors are lined up on the body molding line, I was able to finish making the tops line up to the body. I love my ffr's, and they've been great to deal with. But if they ever figure out how to glue a door together and it actually meet more than one reference point, they'll be on target! Neither of mine lined up to the body top once aligned to molding. And one had a serious low spot from not being glued properly. So I fixed some of it when I glasses the window slot back up and built up some front and rear, then filler finished off the slope to make them match the door tops. Since I am no longer am using power windows, the door tops need not be flat. It's hard to see in photos, but actually gives the door a nice shape rather than a long flat section between two curved body panels. I also put straps on the trunk lid and tossed it out in the sun. Hopefully, that'll pull it in and make the lower corners fit better. The last photo is a little teaser of what's coming soon. Gotta get it in place to get the hood on and done.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

25. Likes Mrallsport32, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the definition of overkill?

Here we go!

Got it all apart. Cleaned up, ready to toss some belt driven intake on. Now, this step is not to get it running, but to continue body work. I've got a few things more I need before I can get it running again with the blower. But, seeing it on there just tickles me.

Have to take the stepper motor out of the factory throttle body, and it's gear and install in the crusher big oval one from Whipple. The factory cover is used also.

Lower intake goes in now with fuel rails, id1000's, and front and rear crossovers. The crossover on driver side rubs the firewall pretty good. I'll remake it with -AN fitting and it'll get away and leave plenty clearance when I redo the fuel system.

Next step is the drive pulley plate. It shares one mounting point with the alternator. I assembled it all, and measured the difference and cut that out of the spacer for the alternator there. Now the bolt goes through the Alt bracket, through the spacer, through the blower idler bracket, through its spacer then into the timing cover. I had to cut 2.125 off of it.

As you can see, it looks like the pulleys line up. The photo doesn't do it justice. Any off one way or the other and it looks crooked. But a string line looks to be all straight. If it starts tossing belts, this will be the first place I look.

The alternator pulley rides real close to the blower idler bracket. That's OK, unless I have to get the belt through there. I'll cut that area off after I make sure it all works.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

27. Likes JimLev, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still have to sort out belt routing. I have a couple options. The easy option is to route it on the outside of the outermost alt bolt but that won't leave much wrap on the alternator. If rather go in and around another idler but the top bolt is in the way. I am looking for a 36101 style pulley that is smaller diameter and that will be the fix it I can track something down. But, here is the current look. Its a 3.4L Whipple (twin screw) stg 2 kit. Make 675 whp on my '15 Mustang, very conservative tune. And still drove like a dream. Should still be a very reliable hot rod.

I don't think the hood is gonna clear, even removing all but outer layer. I'll figure out something. I wanna keep it as sleek as possible.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

29. Likes CVOBill, JimLev, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    F5 sells a hood with a "power bulge"...

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/3367...learance-hood/
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    F5 sells a hood with a "power bulge"...

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/3367...learance-hood/
    Yeah, I considered that when I ordered it. But I want to try to keep it as slick as possible. Might have lost a 700$ gamble though. I'll get mine on and see how much too far it is then go from there. I know ffr fit a SC 3v under the standard hood. And the 2015 style SC is supposed to be the lowest at the front. I was being hopeful. I don't think anyone will point out a hood bulge looking out of place once the reason is considered. Lol
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    While taking a break from blower stuff while I search for a pulley, started on the hagan 9" flush mount tear drop taillights.

First, I layer out the place I wanted them. I used the metal they sent as my pattern. I wanted to bend it to fit the car. In order to insure that the opening didn't move, I measured a couple places and checked before and after.

I used those as a guide to cut the holes (which I didn't get a photo of completed for some reason)

Then, I formed the lenses. I trimmed a pice of cardboard to fit the curve inside and transferred to a block. Then I clamped the lens and slowly heated and flexed it till it fit. Heated a bit more then let it cool while clamped in place. Didn't get any pics of that either for some reason.

I will add that initially I clamped as you see above but ended up having to clamp the red part to get it to form correctly. A little square of card stock protected the red lens.

Using the same cardboard guide, I trimmed the boxes to fit the curve.

So now it sits with the holes cut, lenses formed and boxes trimmed. But the lenses aren't thick enough and the clear part is stopping then from getting down in the right place. So, before I mess Up, I stopped to think a bit. I may thin the glass around the openings and trim the clear part to fit into the thinned area allowing the red lens to stick high and be sanded to fit. The lens will glue into the body basically. I'm gonna think that over a bit before I go any farther.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

33. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very interested in how this works out. I've been looking at Hagan's lights and was wanting to do a something similar but it seemed like they were more geared towards a steel body.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I'm very interested in how this works out. I've been looking at Hagan's lights and was wanting to do a something similar but it seemed like they were more geared towards a steel body.
    They are, but supposed to be able to be installed in glass also. Thin glass, it would be easy. The thickness of these is what's giving me the problem atm. Nothing I'm not certain I can't solve.

I'll post more of the what the actual problem is soon, maybe you guys can give some ideas.

Either Monday evening or Tuesday, I will post more. I'm preparing to drive to dallas to pick up a car (righting the wrong I made when I sold my 50th anniversary Mustang, found one with 400 mi and still 2 years warranty left), prepare the wife's car for a trip to TN the week after. So I don't have but a day to a day and a half. But stay tuned. I gotta get this done. I'll try to stay focused on this before I go back to the front end lol
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    That soft top looks great. I’m kicking myself for not going that route when I ordered my kit, went with the hardtop instead. After reading through your post many times I’m thinking I may go soft top after all and punt my hardtop package.

That engine combo is going to be a monster ��
    33 HotRod #1142
    Started 5-9-19
    Kingwood, Texas

37. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes Svtfreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I said I'd finish up taillights these days but other stuff got in the way. The wifes hybrid car died and that's outta my league. It's under warranty anyeay but I had to go get it and tow it in. And I need to call Tim about the taillights before I move on. So it'll be a bit.

Today I did have time to work on blower/ accessory belt routing. I ordered a gates 36375 pulley. It's about 1" smaller than the 36101's. It still was too tight. So I measured and rotated the alternator out a bit, and cut out an arc from the new idler. This gave it enough room without removing too much meat from the bracket. I'm going to weld up the old hole next time it comes out. Then ran into other problems. The belt wouldn't make it around the pulleys and not rub itself. So I changed the upper pulley to the ribbed one (stolen from the Whipple tensioner) and installed on the upper position. This got the belt away from itself. The reason it is doing this now is cause that pulley from Whipple takes the belt from the main pulley then sends it off a different direction to the tensioner. Since the alternator now takes up that spot, the belt doesn't go back to that bottom corner. The end result is, there is less than desirable belt wrap on the blower pulley. But, to be honest, I'm not sure I'll ever see conditions where that will matter. I'm not done analyzing this belt routing, but this will at least work.

Marking the bracket to move the alternator mounting hole. I didn't want it to intersect the old hole nor the edge.

You can see how I radiused to clear the new smaller pulley. It's close but doesn't touch. I am going to take a little more off next time it comes apart. I also removed some from there the alternator moved over a bit

I'm going to add a gusset to the alternator bracket after I make sure the belt tracks correctly.

The final product.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

39. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you running a vacuum hose from fuel regulator to the whipple intake? If so how did you do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    Are you running a vacuum hose from fuel regulator to the whipple intake? If so how did you do it?
    I haven't gotten that far yet. I will have to consult with the tuner when the time comes as to weather it will.be needed or not. This is my 3rd supercharged coyote but only my first with a return style fuel system. I'll certainly post the results when the time comes. Probably mid to late July, I will get the tune done and get it running again.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Managed to get some shop time today!

Started with this: a piece of 5" 90* exhaust pipe.

Made me a pattern of the throttle body out of wood, and started beating. The sides where not moving so I made a jackbolt to push them out a bit.

Once that was close, I fit it up and cut off where I needed it to be pointing the right way. Installed the port for the crankcase vent and installed on the car with the mass air meter.

Here the a most final inlet. I have to find a shorter filter and make a cut and weld to make the bend a little tighter but it'll work.

There was a ground wire for the harness that was where a whole mess of blower drive equipment. So I extended it down and grounded it to an empty boss on the timing cover. Not sure how I didn't get a pic of it loomed amd done.

Called to get a tune written but they won't touch it with the current fuel system. Understandable considering the consequences. But since I have to change the fuel hat out, it won't happen soon unless I decide to pull the body up to get to it. Well see. But they did say it will run like it is, albeit not good. So I guess I'll try they next shop day. Which might be a few weeks lol.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

43. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious if you ever got back to fitting the tail lights

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious if you ever got back to fitting the tail lights

Steve
    I sure haven't, Steve. I've been thinking about how I want to do it and haven't had much time. The wife had two conferences and we have two vacations. And now this storm swirling offshore and the rain they say it's bringing all have decreased my summer shop time to 1 day! I may get one more day. If the river floods much more than predicted, I may not get any shop days for months.

Either way, please stay tuned. I hope to tackle them middle of August. Assuming the storm moves on out and river stages don't get too high to affect me. Next things I have to do is fuel system, tune and that. I've elected to use a boyds tank rather than cut and modify the ffr one for the aeromotive dual 340 lph pump system.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, weather sounds crazy. Am enjoying the details of your adding the blower... the torque on tap with a system like that is addictive (had an F-Type R for a couple of years).
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

47. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, weather sounds crazy. Am enjoying the details of your adding the blower... the torque on tap with a system like that is addictive (had an F-Type R for a couple of years).
    Yeah south Louisiana weather is a good indication of mother nature on Crack lol. But the rain mostly went west of us so river flooding isn't a concern for me any longer. There are others with problems though. I'm heading to the beach this week and hopefully next Wednesday I will get some tail light work done since I'll be waiting on fuel parts.

Yes, I do love PD blowers on the street. This'll be my 3rd supercharged coyote and 6th or 7th supercharged street car. They are tons of fun lol.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. The summer is coming to an end. I hope to get out there a couple days a week starting Friday I hope. My bum neck determining. Got a pinched nerve old doc gotta decide how to fix.

Anyway, I ripped out my stock fuel system and here is what's going in. Boyds tank, aeromotive dual 340 lph pumps. -8 AN braided nylon supply and -6 return. New lines to the rails to ditch the rubber and push fittings. Should be rocking. After I get all.this in, Steve (@ff33rod), I will be going back to the tail lights. I think I've figured out how I want to do it and am waiting on some lean to get here.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

50. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting the new fuel system. Pumps and dual discharges tied to a single -8.

Everything is in. New sender was easy. Simple. Line it up to middle of tank then adjust arm length.

Here it is in the car. Ran out of time today. But the discharge is ran down to the filter and filter mounted. I'll work on the rest next week! Nothing real out of the ordinary to note. Making up AN fittings. Lots of them. -6 seem to be a pain! Not bolted down yet as I'm waiting to finish vent and wiring.

The stock wire will not be enough. They say the pumps need 26 amps total at 40 psi. So slightly less at 55 psi. Either way, my wire isn't enough. Im going to build a relay box with a 10 gauge feed (they recommend) and use the coyote fuel wire to trip the relay on.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a hard time putting gas in-very slow-. Remade filler neck to let air out.

53. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    I had a hard time putting gas in-very slow-. Remade filler neck to let air out.
    How did you modify it?

Worked on fuel system more. Had to stop today cause my 2.5 year old caught a little staph and is home. Poor baby.

Big Ole regulator. -8 inlet and outlet, -6 return. The outlet then splits to 2 -6's, one to the back of each fuel rail.

Heres the new tank in. The pump has dual -6 outlets, so I tied them together for a single -8 supply.

Removed all the factory barb fittings and the banjo fitting supply (which is a single -6 anyway). Installed the -6 o ring fittings on each end of the rails.

The front is now just a crossover. No longer has the supply fitting. Goes down low to clear the future coolant lines. The heater crossover is temporary. Those will go to the ac/heat on final build.

Each rail gets its own -6 supply from the y on the regulator outlet.

I'm missing 2 -6 straight ends to tie up this part. To connect each hose for the rails to the y. Got them ordered and some -4 hose and npt fittings for the manifold reference to the regulator. Got them ordered. Also gonna change one end on the filter to tidy things up a bit.

Also went ahead and finally mounted my prototype carbon/moisture filter.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

55. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to some more good fuel setups!
    How big is the heat exchanger? With my setup am running 130 at intake.
    Last edited by 1932; 08-08-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    Happy to some more good fuel setups!
    How big is the heat exchanger? With my setup am running 130 at intake.
    I'm really not sure. Whipple doesn't advertise that and I've never taken it apart. The finned depth of where you see is about 4". Blower discharges through there and comes back up from underneath then down into the heads.

1932, I'd like more info on how you modded to make filling easier please.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_8506.JPGIMG_8504.JPG
    I have three tanks bottom two into back vent and top into side vent, as you can see, bigger lines , as high as i could drill and weld and use the fuel neck from FFR.
    Workers good. You still need the small vent with roll over part.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast