BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  353
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: # 1002, SVTFreaks build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I got more done yesterday than the entire summer. Hooked up ignition for the coyote controls pack (blue to start position of switch, pulled the RF blues off as they won’t be used, green with the RF orange on ignition switch, red to the two reds with RF on switch, ground to ground). Hooked up the fuel pump relay out from the controls pack to the fuel pump. But I have to redo that. I want it to go through the inertia switch and kick the relay in the RF instead. I’ll do that next week. Hooked up fan and ran main power to the controls pack black box. I put the fuse for it near the battery. All in all, I think the wiring is done (save for the fuel pump change).

Pic or two but I’ll put more up next update. Not much to see other than more and more wires.

My crimp and heat shrink job

'33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

2. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I fixed the fuel pump supply wiring. Using the ford controls pack to trip the relay in the Ron Francis panel. That will also supply the power to the pump. This allows the inertia switch to still work. The output for the pump is the unshrinkwrapped connection in this photo. The normal supply, I soldered a wire in to supply something else. Probably the power steering unit. The RF fan relay and supply also won’t be used (as the controls pack will control the fan) so it will supply probably my power windows.

Also did the cooling system today. I don’t like it. The lower is ok, not great. The upper and it’s curly que is terrible. I think I’ll be able to file off the locator peg on the coyote end and then rotate the ford connector up so it’s a short straight shot from the outlet to the radiator. That’s for another day though. Working towards starting it up at the moment. Buttoned up a few vac connections. Need a cap or two and a battery, and a coolant expansion tank (gotta figure out where to put it) and I think I’m ready!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of little stuff done today. Tried to mount a G75 battery. Didn’t work. Not even close. Just can’t get it in there and mr Tcollins way won’t work for me with the 3 link brace down there. So I picked up the odyssey and I’ll give it a shot. Everyone who has one says it does fine. And they will warranty it for 3 years.

Next on the list was to move the coolant sensor. I pulled it and repluggrd the spot FFR says to put it. My filter relocation bracket will put the oil pressure sensor in the way of using this spot. So, I used the small bleed in the motor outlet port and drilled and tapped it. A note about that spot. From the factory, that place is the high point of the system and bleeds back to the expansion tank. By changing ours to come off radiator, this spot gets plugged. And since there is a low enough place to allow a lute to form, it’s wuite common for these to vapor lock. This bleed almost has to be opened when filling and during first heat up to allow the air to purge and coolant to circulate correctly. I filled it today and let it purge and will unscrew it a couple times before and during first heat up.

Knocked it out from the back side with a pinch (it’s just a press fit in) and drilled and tapped (21/64” and 1/8 pipe threads).

Back in place with sensor loosely in and wire ran (had to extend it). I’ll add the wire to the harness loom on final assembly.

Next, I filed the square locating peg off the upper radiator hose connection so I could spin it around and make the upper look better. The peg goes into the wire receiving hole so I had to trim that out also since where I wanted it lined up with where the wire would fall. No sealing happens here, it seals on the smooth part that sticks out (the left side in pic). Then cut and reassembled hose. Ahh yes. Much better. Filled the systems with 50/50 (got 3.5 gallons in so far) and letting it sit.

No pic as it’s just there but temporarily mounted the FFR expansion tank with zip ties lol. I have an idea to tie that into the blower intercooler system I may try so I can do away with the expansion tank but That’s a ways off yet. If I can come up with a place for it, I’ll keep it. It won’t even close to fit by radiator like FFR says and sends a bracket for and I’m trying to keep the firewall clean.

So, hopefully Wednesday, I’ll fix the gas level sender seal issue, put some fuel in it, hook up the battery, prime and set fuel pressure and see if she’ll start. I have the trans cooler lines looped back to each other for now, and will need to fill it, so I may only run it for a minute, but I’m excited. After I get some trans fluid so I can fill that, I’ll run i and let it warm up to finalize coolant fill and check fan operation via the pcm.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    ITS ALIVE!!!

Hooked up battery and hit key and gauges came to life. Didn’t blow every fuse and coyote black box did it’s clicking. Fuel pump even ran.

Hopefully it’ll run in an hour or so.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

6. Likes CVOBill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These coyotes won’t start with the crank position sensor unplugged lol! But she started and ran! Yay!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

8. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    These coyotes won’t start with the crank position sensor unplugged lol! But she started and ran! Yay!
    It did not happen without video!
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

10. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! But I agree with Tim.....video or it didn't happen.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

12. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    See if this works.

https://i.imgur.com/oygWwlZ.mp4

If that doesn’t work, try this

Not sure why the video doesn’t show the start. I was recording. I thought. Excuse the rattle from all the stuff laying on floor pans.
    Last edited by Svtfreak; 08-24-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, it happened. Nice sounding motor too...
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

15. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Lol. Sounds better when something rattling on the floor pan fell off. Guess i should pick up a bit lol.
    Throttle response at the end after the idle settled down was pretty impressive, I thought.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    As some of you know, when running a coyote with power steering, the oil filter won’t fit. Not even the small ac delco one. I chose an MMR relocation kit. It came with everything except a 1/4” and an 1/8” pipe plug. You can even move your oil pressure sender to the filter housing if you want to. The housing on the motor only has a single 1/4” pipe spot for a sender. I chose to leave it there, downstream of the filter and hoses. Overall, it’s a very good setup. Has the nylon covered braided hoses and good fittings. Only downside is if you are using braided stainless, it won’t match. But there are other options then.

Spent today making the hoses up, and mounting the filter. I made a steel backplate so that just the firewall aluminum isn’t the only thing holding the filter. Provably overkill but a piece of mind for me. It is welded to the angled brace behind the firewall and the bolts thread straight into it. Hose routing will be cleaned up and finalized later, after everything I need is mounted.

In other news, I got the fuel leak around the sender fixed. Had to tamp down the high part so it could seal right. So now it runs on its own gas tank supply. Also starting to look at how I’ll fill the trans. I think I’m going to cut an access hole in the tunnel and just glass it up after. I shouldn’t have to fill it again and future changes I’ll do on a lift.

All i need now is a driveshaft, shifter (its ordered), put my steering back together, and fill and energize the brake system and I think I’m ready for a go cart ride!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop immediately!!!!! The yellow arrow in your photo is pointing at the universal steering joint lock nut and screw. These are incorrect. When you turn your wheel to the left the nut and screw will lever against the collar on the firewall. The result will be to strip your D shaft from the wheel to the firewall completely apart from the lower shaft. IN other words your steering assembly will separate. Ask me how I know? There is a shorter set screw in the package (photo 2 and 3) that fits flush with the universal joint lip and you do not use the locking nut. Please don't be offended.

IYgwwil.jpgSteering-3 copy.jpgSteering-2 copy.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 09-11-2018 at 10:53 PM.

19. Likes JOP33, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Stop immediately!!!!! The yellow arrow in your photo is pointing at the universal steering joint lock nut and screw. These are incorrect. When you turn your wheel to the left the nut and screw will lever against the collar on the firewall. The result will be to strip your D shaft from the wheel to the firewall completely apart from the lower shaft. IN other words your steering assembly will separate. Ask me how I know? There is a shorter set screw in the package (photo 2 and 3) that fits flush with the universal joint lip and you do not use the locking nut. Please don't be offended.

I will certainly check this out and fix it! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hopefully would have caught it (I am reassembling my steering) this week, but not for certain. Not offended at all! This is one reason I am here. My wife and kids will be riding in this thing, and I’ll take any pointers! Thanks, WRP!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

21. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Page 153 in the 2d Manual. I didn't catch mine until I left the road at 60 MPH. It's not something that jumps out at you in the manual. I recommend everyone reading this thread go out and check theirs. Also note, it specifies the use of locktite, presumably red, on that particular set screw. Personally, I dimpled my D Shaft end so the set screw actually inserts into the dimple for added protection.
    Last edited by wrp; 01-12-2023 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the later kits are different than yours Bill. If you will notice in SVTfreak's picture the later kits have an extra spacer, with two short set screws, that moves the joint out and away from the bearing. I just reassembled mine this past weekend and have no binding when cycled from lock to lock.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy,

Respectfully disagree. Photo number 1 is his photo of the current installation on his car (see post 131). Photos 2 and 3, include the one with the extra spacer are from my car. If you look closely at the 3rd photo you can see the fouling marks on the collar where the extended set screw and locking nut pressed against the collar. My reference to page 153 of the Manual_2d shows what it should look like. The 2d Manual is much more current than my manual or kit (dated 2015). Anyone that sets their steering assembly up as in picture 1 is in danger.

The additional spacer shown in Photo 3 is due to the thinness of my polished firewall as compare to the firewall that comes with the kit.
    Last edited by wrp; 09-12-2018 at 10:24 AM.

25. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m going to check this out either Friday or Wednesday (if I get back from going drop off parts to get driveshaft made early enough Friday, it’s a short day for work. The wife wants a gumbo) and post results. I know I had a stiff spot in steering but I thought it was binding down low, not here.

When I do the real final assembly after paint and finish is done, it’s going to get dimples drilled and red loctite in all set screws. For now, I’m not doing anything so i can get it apart. It won’t see amy real speed or miles yet.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    The kits may have changed since 2015 but the picture shown in post 131 are exactly like my kit. I seriously recommend you not drive the car at all until you have fixed this. I am sorry it has to seem confusing but the results of a setup like you have are devastating.

Last edited by wrp; 09-12-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy,

Respectfully disagree. Photo number 1 is his photo of the current installation on his car (see post 131). Photos 2 and 3, include the one with the extra spacer are from my car. If you look closely at the 3rd photo you can see the fouling marks on the collar where the extended set screw and locking nut pressed against the collar. My reference to page 153 of the Manual_2d shows what it should look like. The 2d Manual is much more current than my manual or kit (dated 2015). Anyone that sets their steering assembly up as in picture 1 is in danger.

The additional spacer shown in Photo 3 is due to the thinness of my polished firewall as compare to the firewall that comes with the kit.
    Bill, I'm sorry for the mix up. I was going by my install. As you can see there is plenty of clearance. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have power steering and not using the bearing on the frame.IMG_1238.JPGIMG_1239.JPGIMG_1240.JPGIMG_1241.JPG
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, that had to have been a hairy ride!

I was in the shop earlier sealing up my rear end and filling it and didn’t even think to check mine. I’ll check it out Wednesday when I reassemble the steering.

The 6R80 transmission doesn’t use a slip yoke in the output. It has a flange. FFR doesn’t support this trans yet. So, after calling several online driveshaft shops as gasping at the price, I called my usual dude. He can make the driveshaft with the splined yoke in it, balanced and ready to bolt in for a much more reasonable cost. Still quite a bit more than the normal style shafts lol. So, I brought him the two flanges I have (one for each end) and the one new u joint I sourced from the FFR driveshaft. They have to order the parts for the slip yoke but said it should be ready by middle of next week. Another hurdle sorted and hopefully solved. I think that was the last “must have” hurdle, and everything else is “this’ll make it real cool” hurdles to make this trans work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andy, I see you have an extra spacer, I would still be uncomfortable with that set screw and locking nut the way you have it but if your instructions say that is okay then I will relent. just be careful guys. I will still not crank my car unless I have gone over every inch of the steering shaft. It has really taken a lot of enjoyment out of driving it.

31. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up and installed the driveshaft. It’s 38 1/8” installed but the slip joint allows for the expansion and collapsing for movement. A grease fitting for the slip yoke fell perfectly accessible from the bottom. I did have to drop the rear end to get it in though.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    @wrp and @hvacman:

Here is a pic of my jam but to bearing clearance. Plenty plenty room. WRP, I very much appreciate you pointing it out, as you learned the hard way. Thanks for looking out for others (me) and paying that close attention to my thread!
    AUr8lRi.jpg
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

34. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No photos, cause, let’s face it, filling and bleeding brakes ain’t no fun lol. Got them full to each corner, wired up the pump to the efi trigger wire from the RF harness (not used with coyote) and tied the power wire in at the frpp black box. Powered it up and nothing. After calling ABS, they think the pump is bad (and he sounded like wasn’t common, I hope it isn’t!). So they have a new pump on the way. I have fluid to the pump suction, but can’t get even a drop at the outlet. So they took care of me easily.

Also got my steering all back together. Going to power that up tomorrow I hope. Maybe get more pics of details.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I decided today that I need a place to grab battery +12 from. So I ran a line from the FRPP black box to the stud that the coyote kit comes with. I mounted it near the column near inertia switch. Now I have a place for my steering, brakes, heater/ac, windows and other incidentals that need power (amplifier will come off battery as it will be closer to it). Then I wired up my horns. Did some cleaning up of unused wires and shrink wrapped and got those bundled up. When I take apart for paint, I’ll lose all those wires and tuck my added wires into the harness. Also started wiring up my heater/ac but stopped as id rather have the brake pump in before I start trying to fit more stuff. Verified all indicator lights worked so that when I wire into the Dakota digital box, since body will be on, I hopefully won’t have to add anything. Cleaned up hanging wires (once everything functions, I’ll cut out and remove stuff like that, for now it’s getting wound up and tied away) working towards getting ready to go cart around a bit. Just need a brake booster pump and shifter!

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    @wrp and @hvacman:

Here is a pic of my jam but to bearing clearance. Plenty plenty room. WRP, I very much appreciate you pointing it out, as you learned the hard way. Thanks for looking out for others (me) and paying that close attention to my thread!
    AUr8lRi.jpg
    Yes. Thanks Bill. If you hadn't brought it up I would not have checked mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Extended the wires and mounted my floor mounted brights switch today. Made a bracket to hold it at a little angle and mount it up high and close to the side. So it’s unobtrusive and hidden as possible but still useable. It bolts to the 1.5”x1.5” upright on that side. Wiring is 12 gauge. Not much else I can do until I get my brake booster pump and shifter. Ac/heat wiring but using this chance to get some around the house work done.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    No new pics today, but a couple hurdles done. The brake pump from ABS came today so I swapped it out. And my electro hydraulic power brakes now work great! No leaks on my firs ever for me stainless lines with all AN fittings. And that’s a first also!

Picked up on wiring the ac/heat. Got blower going but the defrost/panel/floor wouldn’t change. The switch was working and the control box was working (+12 v was changing pins on switch and changing to where the control sent it on plugs) but they wouldn’t move. So called vintage air and they walked me through pulling the servo. The floor one, the doors where just stuck. Got it going. The panel one the servo isn’t working. So they got one coming to me to replace it.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a good day tidying up loose ends. Got my servo from vintage air and got it working and back together. Got my gauges in and got those wired up. I used the cruise control input for the power steering trouble light. Swapped out the sensors for water temp and oil pressure. Everything seems in order and works. The gauges staying in the box for now. The control boxes I mounted on spacers on the air control box. Forgive the absolute mess of wires. When I do the final assembly, I will dewire the harness and then make everything neat. For now, I’m just making sure I have everything I need in the right place and it’s working. The BIM-01-2 takes the speed, rpm and a few other things from the ecu and allows display of it in the gauges.

The Dakota digital gauges need a special dimmer if you want it to dim by a knob. The normal FFR gauge dimmer won’t work. So, instead of running a new wire, I moved the gauge light white from its place and soldered it onto the blue headlight wire. I removed the wire from the plug and soldered it straight to the terminal. You can adjust the light brightness in the gauges but once set it’s a little more than just a knob. Which is ok with me. I’ll set it once. I’m a little worried about it not coming on with running lights, but there was already two wires there. If that comes to be a problem in my shakedown time, I’ll move it for final build.

I also went and got my body out of storage today and fixed a bad rivnut in it. Going to cut my gauge hole and access holes for ac and brake reservoirs and get started on getting it on and body work, power windows etc. Exciting to move to new phases.

Still waiting on my shifter to go cart around a bit.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Put it in today. Ready for first go cart tomorrow I hope! I will have to brace the mounting surface when I take the tunnel out. I used rivnuts as the bolts where not long enough.

I did have to reangle the bracket to clear the frame.

Installed and done. Will have to put a keeper to keep cable out of driveshaft. Otherwise works wonderfully. The side movement for up and down shift is real neat. Can't wait to wire that up and try it.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    First drive!

The factory Mustang converter will work great with the power brakes. I am very pleased with the brakes, power steering effort and the converter. One weird noise to find. The throttle is very touchy. I might have tuner slow it a little when I have it tuned.

Sorry for very short video. The camera man wasn't fast enough when I came back. Didn't go far, or fast. Baby steps!

https://youtu.be/alKedbs4UJ0
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

43. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome! Congrats on the go-cart!
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    COngrats on the first drive.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks yall! It ain't perfect, some issues to tighten up. But exciting and fun nonetheless
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great! Congratulations!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

48. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks yall! It ain't perfect, some issues to tighten up. But exciting and fun nonetheless
    Excellent, unfortunately for all us '33 builders somehow our cars will never be perfect in our eyes and we will ALWAYS be tinkering with it, it part of our game in building these!!

50. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with AJT I think you will find that finishing the majority of the build, you will miss having something that needs to be done. I know I do. That inevitably leads to changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with AJT I think you will find that finishing the majority of the build, you will miss having something that needs to be done. I know I do. That inevitably leads to changes.
    Funny you say that. I.always like having one finished and one project. My mk 4 is done. When this one is done I'll probably sell the mk4 and build the wife a 65/66 Mustang. Kinda cookie cutter but her dad restored them when she was a little girl. So I'll make it cool in our way. Supercharged coyote and a6! Lol
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be awesome. Unfortunately I can only really afford one idea generator at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed my factory intake today and test drove it. A little stumble occasionally but much better than before. This thing will be stupid fast and I haven't even started the supercharger install!

In other news. I cut the holes for the gauges and access panels. Smoothed the edges good and planned the overlap for router to countersink them. Also tapped in for third brake light and dropped that wire out below dash so don't have to try after body is on. I think I have everything I need from there so can put body back on soon. Tapped into the purple wire right before it goes to plug to rear harness.

How you like this for a custom intake lol! At least now I feel better about putting the blower on and just having it tuned once.

Here is where I tapped in for the third brake light. There's solder and a little shrink wrap under there somewhere. Didn't have much room and heat made me cut the wrap down so added some tape to help protect it.

I quit for the day. I'm going for a ride in the mk4. It's 65 deg and first real nice fall day we've had.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast