Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  32
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: # 1002, SVTFreaks build.

Ol Skool

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometime during my build I gave up on having both the roadster windshield and hard top swap. At this point my top was off square corner to corner by 1/2". Same direction as yours I believe. Mold issue I'm guessing from other posts. Fortunately it was summer in a dry year and I used 2 push clamps on it. One along the passenger side window path rear to front pillar and one diagonally from drivers rear to passenger side front pillar. Then I left it set out in the sun a couple weeks. If I used a heat gun I think I would use it on low in the inside upper corner and cycle it a few times over about a week. I only gained about 1/4" after spring back and the roof was still a parallelogram so when I bolted it on I pushed that corner a little more and attached it under tension. My passenger window was still tighter than the drivers. The mold is asymmetrical. It hasn't cracked and I have run it hard, but I did reinforce the cowl area a little more. The body seems to have "relaxed" a little over the last year and my doors have stabilized. Maybe I'll paint it next winter...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks erli. I have already reinforced my cowl a bit. If the stretch is too much, I may do the long time thing you did.

I have given up on making it swappable myself. I'm even kind of considering glassing it on permanent but I'm a little worried about it flexing and cracking at that joint so currently working towards it never coming off but telling people "yeah it can but it's not easy". Which wouldn't be completely untrue.

Either way, I've kinda got the red *** so I'm taking a break for a bit to finish a fireplace project for the wife lol.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Bathroom project done and some overtime out the way. Couldn’t wait to get into the shop and try to spread this top a bit. Made up my jack bolts, and they worked. Sorta. Had to reinforce the rod. 1/2” is a long way in fiberglass. But it got there. Bolted top down in new holes. Everything good so far. Measure opening. 32 1/16. Perfect. Then....

*POP*.

Uhoh.

Crap......

Yep. 1/2” is too much. The lower windshield area split. Cracked from too much force on it. I had even spread the needed change out over the entire half but that last bit was just too much.

Got an email in to factory five now to see how to proceed. I could cut pie wedges out and change the shape and reglassthat whole corner but I feel I shouldn’t have to. If the remivebale soft top had side curtains, I’d be looking hard at that right now....

Maybe it’s time to do my bathroom remodel.....
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    While I wait to hear back from ffr about my cracked hard top, I decided to fit up the roadster windshield. Easy peasy. It seems my rear body may be tweaked a tiny bit but I got the measurements real close to what ffr says. It’s tough to get things to look right and measure right with these out of kilter bodies.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Better pic.

Dave B at ffr contacted me yesterday. The top is def out of whack at that front corner. So they offered me a new top. But over the weekend, I did some soul searching. This project started as a roadster and occasional top use car. But, long story short, after seeing how tough that top is to get off and on, it became a full time coupe. This has caused me to really rethink the whole top delimma. So, after some talking with Dave, they offered store credit on the top to use towards a soft top. That was very very generous of them. I say again, all my dealings with ffr have been top notch. Their customer service has been great with me.

So now, I have some time to decide, I will either be going soft top or Dan Ruth’s hard top. I see things i like about both and advantages to both. At the moment, I feel that the soft top is the way to go for what I want to do (with side curtains) but I wanna think it through. Meanwhile, the windshield is mounted and I think I’ll start finding places to mount the intercooler reservoir and LTR while I save a few bucks for the top.

Oh, and I’m squeezing a bathroom remodel and expansion in with the car for the next few months lol.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Stv freak if you go on Eastwood.com they have about anything for building cars and they do sell seam sealer I was looking at it last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Oh, and I’m squeezing a bathroom remodel and expansion in with the car for the next few months lol.
    I am impressed... How are you going to get a bathroom in the car? Seems like there would be no room.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for a cooling system flush?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sturgis, I’ll prolly use their seam sealer when the time comes.

Hah! You guys are funny!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    After I glassed in the door tops a bit (still have to layer some cloth and get it right, just got the parts I cut out in place with some flocking), I started working on supercharger support gear. I started with the low temp cooler and after an hour or so, I come to the conclusion that the mustang one won’t fit. I’ve already found a couple alternatives that will fit where I’m thinking I want it (behind the axle on the trunk panel that drops down). So I moved on to the resevoir. I thought it would be the hard one, but after trying a couple spots, it ended up here. I still have to make the top support mount (the rusty plate for it is bolted to the tank). But it’s clear of the driveshaft and moving suspension parts. I’ll post the remainder of the mount next week once it’s finished. It hangs about 1/4-1/2” lower than the frame but I think it’ll be ok consider its plastic, flexes some and the radius edge should help it should it contact anything. Even if it does, even if it causes a puncture, this fluid system isn’t required. I can still drive it home.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456