BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  353
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: # 1002, SVTFreaks build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking about this more, Could the bias bar have gotten jammed preventing the push rod on the rear MC from fully engaging?

Also, are you doing the traditional pump the pedal / hold bleeding process only, or have you tried vacuum bleeding?

It's rare but I have personally experienced an air bubble in the lines completely stop fluid using the pump pedal / hold process.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Thinking about this more, Could the bias bar have gotten jammed preventing the push rod on the rear MC from fully engaging?

Also, are you doing the traditional pump the pedal / hold bleeding process only, or have you tried vacuum bleeding?

It's rare but I have personally experienced an air bubble in the lines completely stop fluid using the pump pedal / hold process.

Jim
    Jim, I ditched the dual MC’s and have a wilwood in-line remote reservoir MC, now. Long story how I got there so I’ll save that lol. That said, I started and filled it with vacuum style and then finish bled using pump the pedal. I was very cautious not to let the reservoirs run empty when doing it and certain they didn’t (filled them when they got close to half).

Something I noticed that just raised a flag in my mind thinking about it. I did it all with the caps off until this morning when the problem arose. When I pulled them off after, I’m pretty sure that cap had sucked the rubber in. I’m wondering if a vacuum got pulled on that reservoir and caused this hiccup somehow, maybe because there might be an air bubble in there somewhere?

That’s interesting about the air bubble blocking something up. You wouldn’t think that could happen. But air embolism is the same idea and will kill you.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

3. Likes 33fromSD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    I did not. I’m thinking I should now though. What gets me, though, is it was working perfectly fine then just stopped. One bleed was fine and the very next press wasn’t the same and didn’t make pressure at the end.

I’ve never done this but seen the term. How do you reverse bleed?
    Ah, sorry. TLDR; you push fluid in the caliper, and bubbles come out of the MC. I still think the design/layout of the 33's brake linesw means more bubbles will come out that way.

I still use a real silly cheap plastic tool to do this - this one in fact but if you search for reverse bleed tool you can buy a nicer metal version for $150-$200.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

5. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes Svtfreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Ah, sorry. TLDR; you push fluid in the caliper, and bubbles come out of the MC. I still think the design/layout of the 33's brake linesw means more bubbles will come out that way.

I still use a real silly cheap plastic tool to do this - this one in fact but if you search for reverse bleed tool you can buy a nicer metal version for $150-$200.
    Thanks, James! I may pick one up and try that method also.

I have very little of ffr’s brake system remaining, to be honest. Wilwood single in line MC, remote reservoir, all stainless 3 a brake lines, and wilwood brakes from Levy racing.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    It is normal for the diaphragm to get sucked down as you bleed or the pads wear. That's why they have folds in them. They are air barriers so your brake fluid doesn't absorb water from the air. Did you "bench bleed" the master cylinder? It is better to use a pressure bleeder than a vacuum bleeder. They push air out as opposed to possibly sucking air in if you have a leak somewhere that may not show up until your done and hold the pedal down with some force.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

8. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Progress! Today, I got the coolant reservoir back in. I had to fix a tiny leak on the intercooler pump suction. It got worse! So I pulled it all out and took apart and then realized the pump was under a lot of strain. The plastic would not have lasted. So, I brought it over to a welder and has the suction welded in place. This did two things. 1) fixed the leak. Oh yeah lol. 2) lined the suction fitting up much better to the pump and for the strain off.

Moved on the figure out my rear brake issue. I took advice and bought a pressure bleeder. One pump in and bubbles came out the reservoir. Yep. It appears it pulled enough vacuum to suck a little air in the push on fittings on the MC for the remote reservoirs. They work great now! And I’ll never use a vacuum bleeder again. The pressure bleeder worked wonders lol. So, now I just need to start it up and get it hot, top off coolant and trans fluids. Then it’s on to body work!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

10. Likes Alan_C, Mastertech5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Progress! Today, I got the coolant reservoir back in. I had to fix a tiny leak on the intercooler pump suction. It got worse! So I pulled it all out and took apart and then realized the pump was under a lot of strain. The plastic would not have lasted. So, I brought it over to a welder and has the suction welded in place. This did two things. 1) fixed the leak. Oh yeah lol. 2) lined the suction fitting up much better to the pump and for the strain off.

Moved on the figure out my rear brake issue. I took advice and bought a pressure bleeder. One pump in and bubbles came out the reservoir. Yep. It appears it pulled enough vacuum to suck a little air in the push on fittings on the MC for the remote reservoirs. They work great now! And I’ll never use a vacuum bleeder again. The pressure bleeder worked wonders lol. So, now I just need to start it up and get it hot, top off coolant and trans fluids. Then it’s on to body work!
    What pressure bleeder did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see you back at it. It seemed like a long dry spell since you posted last.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    New project, 1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered restomod. Started 10/14/16.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    What pressure bleeder did you go with?
    The same one that road racer linked above.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    You’ve no idea how true that is Alan lol. It was a hot dry summer (pun intended lol)

Today, I finished filling and burping the cooling system, and filled the trans fluid. I might have one tiny little oil leak at a fitting at the motor. Hard to tell. The brakes stop the rear wheels wonderfully. In the air anyway lol. Put some old wheels on her and put her on her own feet! My buddy and me gonna align it basic in 2 weeks (full week of work next week) and then I’ll hook up the tie rods and it’ll be time for a ride again! Other than that, I think it’s time to charge the ac and start body work. Oh, and I have a nasty belt squeal when you goose it. It revs SO fast. Gotta find and remedy that too. But all that’s pretty minor stuff.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

15. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo, Mastertech5, RoadRacer, 33fromSD liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking Good!

17. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did a basic alignment and vac’d down the ac today.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    that all looks very familiar!
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

Post Thanks / Like
    Filling pinholes and scratchin it up.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

21. Likes Mastertech5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Filling pinholes and scratchin it up.

Call me crazy, but I miss this stage. I like doing body work, It's a lot of work but this is where you see the most dramatic changes to your ride. Looks great, keep it up.

Jim

23. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call me crazy, but I miss this stage. I like doing body work, It's a lot of work but this is where you see the most dramatic changes to your ride. Looks great, keep it up.

Jim
    Jim AKA: Mr. CRAZY, i'll let you enjoy doing the body work on mine when the time comes .. All the beer and pizza you can eat and drink, maybe even a ribeye and whiskey if you're so inclined

25. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes 33fromSD, TxMike64, Svtfreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Different strokes for different folks. I like doing electrical and it's Greek to a lot of people. Bodywork is a necessary evil to me. I can do it, know how but it's tedious time consuming work and messy. Practice makes perfect I guess.
    Last edited by Mastertech5; 09-24-2023 at 10:17 AM.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

27. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. I like doing electrical and it's Greek to a lot of people. Bodywork is a necessary evil to me. I can do it, know how but it's tedious time consuming work and messy. Practice makes perfect I guess.
    I love doing electric. There really isn't a whole lot I don't mind doing on all the builds I've done except drum brakes, not a fan. I'll do them, takes me a bit, but I always struggle with drum brakes.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I love doing electric. There really isn't a whole lot I don't mind doing on all the builds I've done except drum brakes, not a fan. I'll do them, takes me a bit, but I always struggle with drum brakes.

Jim
    I have all the special tools for drum brakes. Haven't used them much in the last decade though. They make it a little easier but yes they suck and very dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t mind any part of it. Body work ain’t my favorite, but I don’t dislike it. The biggest thing to me is that I don’t have to do it. I can wait. I have no deadline, no time frame to meet. If I get irritated and wanna leave it be for a month, I can.

Charged up the ac today. It blows cold! A little humid is south LA right now. Drain works…..

Well, it wasn’t without hiccups. See all them wires hanging? Yeah, I thought I had the colors matched so it didn’t matter. Still got two mixed up. Took a bit to figure out why the fan was kicking on when the key turned off…. Then, it had all indications of cooling. Condensate forming. Pressures looked good. But blowing 90* air. How can that be? Guess what. If you have the heat knob turned all the way up, it heats up your freshly cooled air……. Yeah that took longer than I’d like to admit to figure out. Basically, lots of problems caused by the builder and electrician. I should kick his butt. Oh wait……

I did finish scratching the body. Got a couple small fixes curing then I’ll smooth that and it’s ready to clean and prime. Got a couple weeks of a lot of OT to work then ill scratch up all the rest of the parts and start planning when to lay some primer on it.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

31. Likes RoadRacer, Mastertech5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had to chuckle a bit with your heater knob turned to hot. I wasn't chuckling at you, I was chuckling at myself since last Saturday I was tuning up my 55 F100 so I had a remote starter clicker hooked up to the solenoid but it wasn't working. I was getting really frustrated cause everything is brand new (full restorarion) and it just ran when I drove it home about 30 minutes prior to that.

Scratched my head for about 45 minutes checking various things, even changed out the solenoid thinking it died for some reason until I remembered I forgot to turn the ignition key to the run position.

Happens to all of us.

Jim

33. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer, Mastertech5, Svtfreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had to chuckle a bit with your heater knob turned to hot. I wasn't chuckling at you, I was chuckling at myself since last Saturday I was tuning up my 55 F100 so I had a remote starter clicker hooked up to the solenoid but it wasn't working. I was getting really frustrated cause everything is brand new (full restorarion) and it just ran when I drove it home about 30 minutes prior to that.

Scratched my head for about 45 minutes checking various things, even changed out the solenoid thinking it died for some reason until I remembered I forgot to turn the ignition key to the run position.

Happens to all of us.

Jim
    lol yes Jim. I’m glad we can all share these knothead moments lol!

She’s mechanically complete! Took it for a ride down the street today. Then I got to work on more scratching. The pile ready for filler is much bigger than the pile still to scratch and fix issues.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

35. Likes Just 1 More, Mastertech5, 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got it all hung and cleaned. Just gotta finish hanging sheeting in the shop. And maybe 1 more ipa wipe down.

Little story:

So I got in it yesterday and went to take it down the street. I did some ecu tuning to it recently. It ain’t acted right since. But it ain’t been stupid.

Anyway, I eased out the shop about even with them vines on the left. Then I touched the throttle. Sum***** went to prolly about 50% open and didn’t close when I let off. WWWAAAAHHHHH! I threw it in neutral and slammed the brakes. Left 2 10 ft long skid marks from front tires locking up and 1 2ft long skid mark in my drawers.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

37. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's not good. Figured it out yet?

39. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, I'm glad that ended "well". Luckily most of us are paranoid the first few drives, but.. wow.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

41. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    That's not good. Figured it out yet?
    Pretty sure this was the 1st tune that didn’t run right. I have another that might be the right one. That said, I’m just ditching the whole thing and starting over. My brother is running now. Just finished up a twin turbo 1500 whp gen 2. We gonna take a crack at it. He has the initial one ready which is hopefully safe. For the motor and me lol.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got it primed. After 4 trips to the paint sroee (1 wrong and 1 bad gallon and they didn’t have the replacements, had to order). 3 good heavy coats of evercoat featherfill.

Now, just a million more pinholes to fill and guide coat then start blocking! Won’t start till after thanksgiving though.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

44. Likes Alan_C, JimLev, Mastertech5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blocking done! Life slowing me down. Now, I gotta finish healing hernia repair then get some urethane on it hopefully by the end of March (around some OT at work too).

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally all healed up and can move and stretch and pick stuff up again. Yay!

Spent the morning cleaning parts and sprayed the 2k urethane (jp202). Gonna let it cure till prolly Wednesday and start dry blocking then wet sanding it.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

47. Likes JimLev liked this post
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213