Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  353
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: # 1002, SVTFreaks build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait until mine looks like that! Perhaps their new financing will help
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Trans Lines.jpg
    (stole a screen cap)

I don't know why I never noticed this on other builds, but do the trans cooler lines always stick out like this? Or are those condenser lines?

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are the a/c condenser lines.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    i have a similar slight drop on the drivers side, but i left it alone as it didn't create an issue with the latch and it worked better with the hard top gasket. As the door closes it moves up and seals the gasket. On the passenger side my door was good but i ruined the gasket soon after i put the hard top on because it was too tight vertically. I actually have pondered reversing the inner door frames and hinging at the front, but, not on this project. Maybe the mkiihr will have better doors. Leave room for suicide safety latches while your in door mode also...

mkII??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    Those are the a/c condenser lines.
    Yep. The trans cooler is in the radiator but doesn’t have lines on it. Just thread-o-let’s.

Quote Originally Posted by bellingson View Post
    mkII??
    . No sir. Hot rod.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks cool... I wish I could roll mine out of the garage but I would never get it back in. We have a very steep driveway and we would not be able to push the car back up into the garage.

I like the shot with all the doors open and the hood and trunk up. Made me think of one of the cartoon cars trying to scare a bigger car away.

Looks good though.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, thanks tim!

My driveway has a slope also. But I can push it up solo at this weight. It’s even easier if I push on the top of the tire (think leverage, 2x the distance to push but half the force to make car move). I did put my chock and not let it get out of control.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Lol, thanks tim!

My driveway has a slope also. But I can push it up solo at this weight. It’s even easier if I push on the top of the tire (think leverage, 2x the distance to push but half the force to make car move). I did put my chock and not let it get out of control.

Oh thats funny... Seeing your outdoor photos and you think that is a slope.

With my challenger in the driveway the car is only about 2 or 3 feet from the alley. I am 5'8" and when I stand in the alley the garage floor is around my chin in height.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, that’s not a slope! Sounds like you built on a hill and just paved the hillside!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, that’s not a slope! Sounds like you built on a hill and just paved the hillside!
    Yep... My wife told me that we were going to buy a home on a hill and we were not going to be the low spot. Something about her previous house being the draining area and getting 3' of water up the side of her house one time during a storm. :-)

So we are on a hill and besides having a steep drive way my garage is 3' lower than the rest of the house. I tell people that since it is partially underground that I really do have a Man Cave. I took a picture for y'all after I got home from work yesterday. I am standing in the middle of the alley behind our house.

Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this thread. It helps guys like me in the planning stage to see what we are really in for!

Looks great so far. I'm sure it feels good just to roll it out of the garage with most of the body assembled.

X...

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, X. It does feel good to see it moved on its own wheels. Wasn’t the first time I did it but it was the first time with everything actually affixed.

Got the top fixed down final today. I had added a couple more studs to the front to bring total to 5. And I (with my baby girls help) got the trans bolted up to the motor. I’ve never fooled with a coyote out of the car or a 6r80 so I wasn’t sure where or how to reach the studs to bolt the converter up. After getting one through the starter hole, and knowing the others wouldn’t work there (too tight once pulled up), my 6 year old girl figured out how to reach them through the hole on the other side of motor. Lol. Proud daddy moment there.

Pics for funs sake

My two helpers getting in the areas easier than I can!

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

13. Likes theidlemind liked this post
    Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's precious man. Kudos to getting the kids some hands on experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like your build is going well. I expect my complete kit delivery the week of March 19th. I was glad that I found your build thread, I have been searching for a build where the body, doors and top were installed and fitted on a rolling chassis basically before the car was built. That is the way I wanted to approach my build but after reading many posts I was not sure if that was possible. Are you going to do all body work with body on chassiss then remove for painting? Seems to me to make since, less masking and clean up on a completed car. I don't plan on doing my own body work( zero experience) unless I can have someone show me the ropes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fabulous help you have. Coolair, I turned to outside help for my body work as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coolair,

I have the body just working. I have to set gaps and get everything perfect still but i want all weight on the suspension to make sure everything will be sitting in it’s final place. After I get it running, probably, i will get back on the body. Set the final gaps, get everything lined up just right, grind the remaining part lines, and so any major filling. Once it’s ready for primer, I’ll remove everything and prime, block and Wet sand and get it slick and paint it off the car. That will be done during my final step once it’s completely apart and I’m finishing everything’s
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    The motor and trans is in!!! And the 6R80 fits!

Right now, it’s resting on the trans Pan flange on FFR trans mounts and has 2* of angle. I will have to cut the mounts off the frame and build my own but that looks like it won’t be hard to accomplish at all. Easier than I was expecting. Also made up the steering correctly, installed headers and starter while playing around. When I do build the trans crossmember and mount, I’ll post good pics of that part for future reference should anyone else decide to attempt.

Oh. Coyote lift points ain’t gonna work. I got it in using my homemade plates but I won’t be able to get the bolts out. Do you guys use lift brackets that bolt to the exhaust manifold bolts? And what y’all doing for header bolts anyway?

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Found out today that the computer that comes with the Ford performance crate motor/trans package is not the same case as the ones used if pulled from a donor. So, I had to make a mount. I used the FFR mount that usually goes on the oil pan studs, and ran it across the frame 1” x brace tubes. Tapped the tubes to mount it. The. Drilled and tapped for the computer. I had to shift it pretty good to passenger side to clear the steering motor and help keep the harness from getting into the main pulley. Worked out great. Also mounted the compressor and started working on a trans mount (but will not post photos of that until I get it finished and ensure it works, probably a couple weeks.

Won’t be much for updates. My next days off i have to prep both cars for a car show, then once home, I’m taking the body off and have to pull the motor and trans to fix a couple items. While it’s out and i have room, I will cut the FFR trans mounts off the frame then finish the 6R80 mount once I get it all back together. Then I’ll start working on wiring and towards getting it to life. It’ll be easier with body off and I have some things I wanna do to the body while it’s off.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Prototype 6R80 trans mount. When I pull the motor out (hopefully next week), I will cut off the FFR trans mounts from the frame. Then I’ll set motor back in, get the angle right and trim the long edge of the crossmember, leaving some as a gusset.

After I see how it goes in again, I may weld the crossbmember in then cut out the center and leave tabs on the frame. Then make another plate that is a removable crossmember. I don’t think it’ll be necessary though, since the mount is on the back of the trans case instead of bottom. The flange will have to be up and above the crossmember when going in before it reaches it anyway. Once I’m sure of that, I’ll decide weather to make the crossmember removable or not. Worst case, I cut it out later, remake it to mount from the bottom and use spacers to her back up to right angle.

This is the back

Front. The two empty holes is where it bolts to the trans. The line is just a reference. I’ll trim off even with bottom of frame tubing once I know exactly wheee it has to go to get angle correct.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Brought it to a car show today. She won best under construction. Was kinda unfair as I think it was the only true under construction lol. The mk4 won best 1950-1980, which I was flattered by. There was some nice cars including a very trick, very custom 68 Camaro that won best in show.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blew it apart partially today. Body off, motor and trans out. Have to put starter index plate in, correct trans bolts and put a couple quarts of fluid in the converter. Cut the factory trans mounts off the frame and then reinstall the motor tomorrow probably. Then I’ll start wiring and mechanical stuff towards running it. The body won’t go back on for awhile.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Got up today and got the starter index plate in, filled the converter, bolted all that back up. Then started in the trans mount. Cut the FFR brackets off the frame using sawzall and cut off wheels. Ground it smooth. Back in with the motor and trans. Then installed the new trans mount I made. Everything lined up perfectly down the center. Welded in the mount best I could. I’m going to have to clean up some welds once trans is out of the way for paint. Got me a perfect 3* angle on the motor checking at a couple diff places. I may add a gusset on the mount towards the back where it doesn’t touch the frame anywhere to add a little strength to it.

Turning big metal into shavings.

Motor back in, supporting and setting angle. Bolted bracket on trans then adding mount and crossmember to that

Everything in place, angles and alignment triple checked and started welding. Can’t really see some welds. Don’t criticize to bad. I’m not a great welder in tight spots. This will fix when trans out again. You can see my centerline marks in frame bottom in last pic.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on the ac and heater lines inside the car today, since I had some underage help. Had to do something that isn’t much thought lol.

Decided to do it next to the riser like FFR. About the best option to keep the hoses easily hideable inside.

Completed hoses. Gonna clean up the trimmed parts of ac inlet box when totally apart for finishing

Had the cutest little helper today. She likes using the drill

The kids seem to lose interest when there’s is work and not much visible progress. They like to see big parts come together. So when she gave up and went to blow bubbles and chase lizards, I started on the second part of the harness for the coyote. The motor harness came installed. After a couple false starts, I ran it down the right side of the oil pan to the ecu. The black box is under the ac unit. The harness to the CEL, gas pedal, etc will go across to that area. And I have to decide how to get the harness into the dash area, weather through the firewall or trans tunnel will work best. That’ll be next weeks work.

I’ve got some learning to do. I thought the ecu had an input from the shifter (comes with kit). But it doesn’t. The shifter has a plug that has inputs to control when you can put it in gear, and lights, but the ecu doesn’t need anything from it. It must get its gear info from the big plug on the trans. That means that I don’t really have to use the ford shifter. I was playing with ideas how to make it fit and match, being its sort of big and bulky, but now I don’t think that is necessary. I’d much rather use a lokar floor mount or something if the sort if I can make it work. I may need to call the tech line and ask a few questions to see what my options are.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on the ac and heater lines inside the car today, since I had some underage help. Had to do something that isn’t much thought lol.

Decided to do it next to the riser like FFR. About the best option to keep the hoses easily hideable inside.

Completed hoses. Gonna clean up the trimmed parts of ac inlet box when totally apart for finishing

Had the cutest little helper today. She likes using the drill

The kids seem to lose interest when there’s is work and not much visible progress. They like to see big parts come together. So when she gave up and went to blow bubbles and chase lizards, I started on the second part of the harness for the coyote. The motor harness came installed. After a couple false starts, I ran it down the right side of the oil pan to the ecu. The black box is under the ac unit. The harness to the CEL, gas pedal, etc will go across to that area. And I have to decide how to get the harness into the dash area, weather through the firewall or trans tunnel will work best. That’ll be next weeks work.

I’ve got some learning to do. I thought the ecu had an input from the shifter (comes with kit). But it doesn’t. The shifter has a plug that has inputs to control when you can put it in gear, and lights, but the ecu doesn’t need anything from it. It must get its gear info from the big plug on the trans. That means that I don’t really have to use the ford shifter. I was playing with ideas how to make it fit and match, being its sort of big and bulky, but now I don’t think that is necessary. I’d much rather use a lokar floor mount or something if the sort if I can make it work. I may need to call the tech line and ask a few questions to see what my options are.
    Talk to Travis Johnson at Lokar. He is extremely helpful. [email protected]
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    Thanks! I’ll email him now.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    So, today, I finally succumbed to the fact that I had to move the gas tank filler to accomplish what I want. I was going to run the hose custom down and around from the deck above the trunk but knew in my heart that wasn’t right. It needed to move. I was worried about welding it and I want to do this myself. So, I cut out the filler, drilled a new hole for it and fit a filler plate for the old spot. Now, I’m a long way from a good welder. But once I got my heat right, it did well. I had to fill a couple pinholes after these pics where taken, but you get the idea. I checked it with water (twice). No leaks! Well, on my weld anyway. The level sender is leaking. I took it apart, cleaned it up, and put back in tighter and it still leaks. Not even trying to seal. Any advice on that before I fuel-safe sealastic it in place?

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    Travis got me hooked up. They do make a shifter for the 6R80. I’ll be using it. Now, my goal is to make the sport/manual mode on it work. At least try to make the paddle shifters work and I’ll use the switches in the shifter instead.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    6R80 content!

I put in the headers and first sections today. Glad I did before I started the trans tunnel. The driver side 02 sensor plugged right in. Plenty wire. The passenger side didn’t work. The plug for the 02 sensor comes out of the harness about 3/4 of the way down the transmission. The 02 plug falls right about there the starter is after i drilled a hole in the motor mount for the plastic holder to make it neat. So, I dissected the harness and pulled the 02 sensor wires up. I was able to slit the foil cover and unfold the fiber insulation. Once I pulled enough that I could double it back and teach the 02 sensor plug, I tucked all the fiber back in and taped it back up to reseal the harness. I made up where they come out now. I’m out of small split loom so I wrapped them with tape for now. I’ll loom it and tape it to make it look factory eventually. Pics for fun and better than I can describe.

Finished product inside the car

Almost finished product at starter. Loom and a good place to attach it and it’ll look wonderful and hidden
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounted the regulator today. I had to space it off a touch. Im making a billet block to mount it on. Ran like to rails. Mounted the tank back in after some cleaning and ran the tank vent to underneath. I’ll add a carbon canister later when I find one I like.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG - Your brake set up is clean AF! I've been reduced to pop culture acronyms! WOW! Looks AMAZING so far!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha. Thanks badger.

Hanging exhaust yesterday and today. Stopped at mufflers. Didn’t get the rear exhaust as I wasn’t sure it would work but it might. They have to share real estate with the intercooler reservoir and fluid cooler. But if I move the cooler to behind the axle (if it’ll fit there with fans) then the FFR may work.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the trans tunnel in. It actually fits over the 6R80 easily. Making this transmission fit has been much easier than I expected it to be. Will be trying foot room later today. I also ran the main engine harness to the relay box through the top left of the tunnel.

I did take the time to Install rivnuts in the front face of the tunnel and use the same bolts I used for the firewall to attach it. Makes it a bit of an order puzzle to assemble but it sure looks cleaner than rivets from the inside and will make sure it stays sealed.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Highly modded the coyote has pedal. Cut off a lot of the excess. Made a bracket to mount the bottom. Used one of ffrs for the top. It’s ok but I’m not crazy about it. After I got it mounted, it was too long and no way to move it up. So I hacked up the FFR pedal and used it like they say. I’m still not crazy about it’s looks now. It’s function is fine but looks is just, well, hermaphroditish. Excuse pics, I still have to twist it slightly to face the right way. But you can see the brackets I made.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s function is fine but looks is just, well, hermaphroditish.
    yeah, ewww. I can see why you're not happy..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    yeah, ewww. I can see why you're not happy..
    Lokar makes a coyote pedal but only works with 11-14. If I can’t use that as an option, I’m thinking i can fill the drop from the big plastic to the narrow metal with some shaped epoxy. That would make it look more natural instead of an afterthought. It’s going to be important as the interior will be tan. Worst case, I paint it tan and it’ll blend in. I’ve got time to figure out a fix.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking a little break on the 33 while i get my mk4 sorted out. Still have weird oil pressure issues after a new pump, and possibly super fine metal flake in the oil. Will be back on the 33 after I figure out what’s up and either fix it or get a new motor on the way.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The level sender is leaking. I took it apart, cleaned it up, and put back in tighter and it still leaks. Not even trying to seal. Any advice on that before I fuel-safe sealastic it in place?
    Make sure there is no metal to metal contact under the sender. You may have to bend the tabs down so the sending units rests on the o ring fully

Post Thanks / Like
    Arrow, I’ll be tackling that next week I think. Need to resolve that soon as I’m getting close to ready to try it out. Time wise. If I can get that time lol.

Summer is here and the wife works limited hours and no care at her job anymore. So I have the kids some days and have less time to myself to work on it. At 45 minutes a week, it’s gonna take awhile to get the 1200 or so hours I’m guessing it’s gonna take lol!

Put the top on and ran the harness through it (instead of firewall to keep the wires all hidden). Excuse the mess of electrical parts and tools. Now to build a temp gauge panel, and tie the coyote harness into electrical and get the bump to start and fuel controls working. Won’t be long, hopefully, and we’ll be making some noise.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up my temporary gauge pod for go cart. When the body goes back on, it’ll get Dakota digital, either vhx or hdx all in one elliptical. Haven’t decided if I want the digital readout in the center yet or not. On one hand, it would fit the late model hi tech style but it would clutter up the smooth sleek that in seeking in the end. Opinions?

I also ran my battery + and -, ran the rear harness to everywhere but the fuel sender. Need a grommet for that. Installed the oil pressure sender for temp gauges. Started to install the water temp but I don’t like the 2 bushing method. Gets the sender a ways out of the flow, if you ask me. So I ordered the right 3/4-1/8” pipe bushing to use. I may put a battery in it soon and start testing circuits.

Now I have to start figuring out how and where to cut in the coyote harness. It’s starter lead, fan control and whatnot will have to tap into the harness aomewheee. I don’t wanna run full wires. Also need to bring senders into dash and figure out where to mount the electric steering control and wire that up.

Pic of my silly temp gauges lol.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I am finally starting to get some shop time! School starts next week and i should get my days off again. I was able to get out there today and extend the power steering wires.

I cut each wire on the control plug and used a trailer four wire bundle. I subbed the yellow for red. By offsetting the cuts and spices, it keeps the finished product thinner and cleaner with less bulk at the one spot. This is in the electric motor end.

Then I soldered and shrink wrapped each joint
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/9KK3TwZ.jpg[img]

Then I shrink wrapped over all joints to keep it tight and support the joints. And for even more protection.

Then did the power and ground side the same way using 14 gauge wire (same as what’s on the motor)

Then i ran the wires along with the sending unit harness into the car. For final assembly, I will combine them into one loom but for now, it works better to keep separate for disassembly for paint and finish.

Did the same thing to the other end of both at the control box on left side of under dash area.

Boom. Easy peasy extending harness to the control box in a better place to withstand elements. Since the car will be driven, I have to plan on the possibility of rain and wet and this seemed the best course of action for me.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast