Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: More on California registration process

Post Thanks / Like

Red face More on California registration process

After reading the great posts on getting a FFR car legal in the Peoples Republic of California, I gathered up all my paper and headded out to my scheduled appt. at DMV yesterday morning. They called me to the counter and I told the clerk I needed to register a special constructed vehicle under SB100 protocol. The lady was very polite and said she had done a few of them in the past so it wouldn't any problem. I had to fill out a couple forms telling dmv what I paid for the car, the motor, and any other accessories. I just listed the invoice amount for the car, the cost of motor, trans, and rear end. Everything else had been taxable when I bought it.

I told her what kind of plate I wanted and what I wanted on the plate. It will be a black plate with yellow letters (1960's style legacy plate) that says SKOSH 33. My late wife was born in Japan and her nickname was Sukoshi which means "tiny or little bit"; so the car will be "Little 33".

The DMV clerk would not give me a SB100 number saying they had recently changed the rules to require a brake/lamp inspection and a smog check first. She gave me a one day permit to drive to the inspection stations and told me to come back when I had them completed. I was a little peeved but stayed nice and took off. I called the state smog police and was told DMV had it wrong. They could not give me a smog test without the SB100 number. Soooo, back to the clerk at DMV who went back to her super and decided to give me the SB100 number afterall. My number is 2017127 which means they have only issued 127 permits for these kind of vehicles this year.

So now I have the number and will need to make an appt to get the smog test and brake and lamp test. Then it's back to DMV to finish up the process.

Finally, I had to pay them $2,000 in sales tax on the cost of the kit. Fair enough, I guess..

I will post an update when I get through this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A few notes from the peanut gallery...

SB100 numbers are given out in lots and out of sequence so there's no way to know how many #'s are left.

The run-around you got is something they tried on me; you have to be polite but persistent; always ask to involve the supervisor if it isn't going your way at the counter.

The counter is really the hardest part of the whole thing. You should get your CHP inspection first. You CAN use the number on your frame because it is permanent and unique. Officer White at the Santa Ana/Orange office is well versed on this protocol if you are close by. EDIT: I see you are in The Sacramento area - oh well...

After you have your CHP VIN assignment, you will proceed to the B&L inspection. It's my personal advice to find a place that is thorough and takes the time (hours) to fully inspect your car. Safety is a BIG thing and having that opportunity to have everything checked over by a pro is a benefit, not a burden!

Lastly the BAR exam will be where they apply the permanent sticker to your car. Depending on the inspector you may have some control with this. Mine is on the 2" square tube on the passenger side inside the cockpit. I have a lot of bling on my firewall and didn't want it messed up with that sticker. The thing that trips most folk up at this stage is making sure your breather on one side is NOT vented but is connected to a PCV-SPEC hose going into the air cleaner. Regular rubber hose doesn't cut it! On the other side you will need to have a PCV valve exiting the valve cover with a PCV spec hose going to the intake on your throttle body. The hose and the non-vented breather is what trip most folks up. Remember, you are creating a CLOSED system. Venting the the atmosphere of any kind is verboten! Lastly, You are registering by the body style, NOT the engine year!

If you need any additional pics or advice/input we are here to help!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave thanks for your valuable info. I was under the impression that each dmv office had to call a central dmv hq office to get a number which was why I suggested they were sequential. Thanks for clarifying this for me.
    On the issue of the breather cap, my motor has the pvc hose going from valve cover to the base of the carb on pass side. On the driver side is the filler cap which appears to be vented. 14945115227711448303741.jpg , 1494511620577-308571390.jpg These valve covers are after market that came on an old used motor. Are you saying I need to replace them with covers that use a sealed filler cap? I guess I could stick on a pair of stockers easily enough to get through inspection. I planned to replace them downstream and now I wonder if any of the common 351w covers from after market have sealed breathers? Again, thanks for the input, Dave, you have saved me a bunch of time..

Post Thanks / Like
    As my thinking goes the 33 hot rod as a 33 ford car does not need PVC. As 33 ford had open crankcase vent, and will be registered by car year not motor year.
    Hope this helps.
    tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    As my thinking goes the 33 hot rod as a 33 ford car does not need PVC. As 33 ford had open crankcase vent, and will be registered by car year not motor year.
    Hope this helps.
    tom
    Yeah, not correct. Under SB100, you must have closed crank case with PCV. You will not pass otherwise.

As for the sequencing of the events, the San Juan DMV had me go to Brake and Lamp first giving me only a short Temp operating Permit (TOP) to get that done. Then I had to go back and get another TOP in order to drive to CHP and then to the BAR. Just my experience.

It's never been the same for me after 3 cars. You would think that someone over there would write this down and have an agreed process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    On the issue of the breather cap, my motor has the pvc hose going from valve cover to the base of the carb on pass side. On the driver side is the filler cap which appears to be vented. ..
    That is the proper combo except for the California crowd: The vented cap DS lets air in to gather the oil vapor and the sealed side with the PCV hooked to the intake sucks those vapors into the engine to be burned, be sure the hose from the PCV to the intake is labeled and rated for PCV.

See Dave's posts below to get the right combo for Cali.

DB
    Last edited by myjones; 05-13-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I should leave the vented cap in place for the inspection? I have already found a cap with hose fitting and the fitting for the base of the air cleaner. If you say the breather should stay, I will stuff the new cap and hose in the trunk and cap the fitting on the air cleaner. If they tell md I need it I can hook it up right there. Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    That is the proper combo: The vented cap DS lets air in to gather the oil vapor and the sealed side with the PCV hooked to the intake sucks those vapors into the engine to be burned, so as long as the hose from the PCV to the intake is labeled and rated for PCV you are good to go. That combo gives you the closed crankcase Like Erik confirms above
    NOT for California! you need a sealed cap with a hose attachment that feeds back to the air filter. Vapor escaping to the environment is NOT ALLOWED.

Reference images and article:
    http://what-when-how.com/automobile/...ol-automobile/

Normal, and under load diagram (from article)

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    So I should leave the vented cap in place for the inspection? I have already found a cap with hose fitting and the fitting for the base of the air cleaner. If you say the breather should stay, I will stuff the new cap and hose in the trunk and cap the fitting on the air cleaner. If they tell md I need it I can hook it up right there. Make sense?
    If you go with a vented cap you will fail (been there done that).

Fortes sells the proper cap and also a 90 degree fitting for your air breather if needed:

Note that if you use the fitting you should throw away the nuts and bolts and rivet the fitting to the breather.

PCV valve:

As far as I know - and these pices demonstrate - which side is which doesn't matter. But the breather goes to the air filter and the pcv goes to the throttle body, as seen in the pics above.

Sealed breather:

Sorry for the Trophy... Not showing off, just the best breather pic I found quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Regarding the number of certs available: I was speaking from my own experience back when they were all secured on the first day of the year. The DMV gathered all the folks in line for SB100 and then would receive a block of numbers from Sacramento and those blocks were out of order.

In all honesty I can't say for certain that the number you get from them nowadays is not "in order". It just seems that way to me based on threads I've read in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok gang, I think I got it. Here's what I will take to the bar when I get my SB100 in the mail and make the bar appt: 1494540042113-293309899.jpg 1494540187456-2113665294.jpg cap with hose to air cleaner housing.. pcv valve from valve cover to base of carb.

I'm beginning to understand why it's called the BAR! That's where I am heading unless you guys tell me I need something else. Dave, Eric, everyone, thanks for your help..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is that pcv rated hose? It's available from Napa...

EDIT: PS I hope we're (I'm) not overloading you with info! Just hoping to lessen the learning curve...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep and I got it from Napa. Thanks again.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Good write-up Dave,
    I forgot about the "High blowby volume" scenario. Here in the Midwest that means it's time for an engine re-build
    or that I had dinner at Chili's last night

Once again the Wookie comes to the rescue with the right info for the Kalifornia crowd.
    Well done
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    I have reread sb100 and can not find wording for car model 1933 to need pcv. If BAR can not identify the car then goes to 1960 year.
    Not trying to say anyone is wrong or be an ***, gust reading sb100 and trying to understand!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    NOT for California! you need a sealed cap with a hose attachment that feeds back to the air filter. Vapor escaping to the environment is NOT ALLOWED.

Reference images and article:
    http://what-when-how.com/automobile/...ol-automobile/

Normal, and under load diagram (from article)
    Dave
    Have you asked FF to add that info to all their build manuals, seems like a one page insert titled "for California builds" would save a lot of headaches
    and wasted trips for the west coast crowd.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok guys, all is done and car is ready to go back to DMV for final paperwork. The brake/lamp check was a joke. Hi beam, low beam, wheres the license plate light and oh by the way, do the brakes work? Why yes, they do, thank you very much. On to bureau of automotive repair referee for emissions test. Guy took my paperwork, made me wait 45. minutes and said, sign here. No actual test. He did take a few pictures but that's about all it:. Man, after sweating this out for months, if was very anticlimactic. At least I'm done and now I can start shaking this thing down.. thanks everyone for the support..
    Tom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tom,

Believe me brother, you got what you want with it being anti-climactic!

Great job! Where did the BAR put the SPCN sticker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Dave
    Have you asked FF to add that info to all their build manuals, seems like a one page insert titled "for California builds" would save a lot of headaches
    and wasted trips for the west coast crowd.
    Dale
    Dale, I have not. Good Idea though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave ,
    Don't tell anyone but he gave me the sticker so I could put it wherever I wanted after its painted.
    Was going to put it on door jamb until I objected.
    Thanjs fof all your help..

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just finished the California DMV registration process. Because it was unclear to me what to do until I did it, I thought it might be useful for me to document the whole process.

Even though I was told that getting one of the 500 specially constructed sequence numbers is not a problem, I went to the DMV on the first day of 2016 just in case. They required completed copies of DMV forms 343 “application for title or registration”, and 5036 “statement of construction”, copies of the receipts for the kit, engine and transmission, and the certificate of origin from Factory Five. At that time they charged me a healthy use tax and and quite a few fees. But I came away with a Specially Constructed Vehicle Sequence Number.

I probably should have waited until the car was almost done before starting the DMV process but I didn’t know any better and I wanted to be sure I got one of those numbers.

Fast forward to 2017. The car is now done and the registration process can begin. The next step in the process after getting a sequence number is to have CHP assign a VIN number. On advice from the forum, I made an appointment with officer White at the Santa Ana CHP. Unfortunately it was a month before they had an open day. I brought copies of all the paperwork I took to the DMV, my sequence number document and the nameplate from Factory Five. He reviewed the paperwork and noted that I was missing form 124, “application for assigned vehicle identification number plate” which has carbon copies. He said that it was not a problem and that he would fill out his portion while he was making copies of my other paperwork. He returned and had me sign the 124 form. We then went out to the car so he could recommend a location for the nameplate. We agreed on a location to rivet the plate and he sent me on my way.

The next step was to get a Bureau of Automotive Repair brake and light inspection station to certify my brakes and lights. These are private repair shops and the price for the inspection varies greatly from one to another. Naturally I went with the cheapest one near my house. I had an appointment for 10:00 am. At 9:45 they called and told me they would have to reschedule for 11:30. When I arrived at 11:30 the inspector said he wouldn’t be able to pass me because I didn’t have reflectors on the side of the car. After several minutes of arguing, I left frustrated and ticked off. I immediately went to the other, more expensive inspection shop. They had no idea what the other guy was talking about reflectors and proceeded with the inspection and certification. They gave me one document for the lights and one for the brakes and said to make sure not to lose them because the DMV would require the originals.

With that done the next step was to go to a Bureau of Automotive Repair referee inspection. These inspections are done at local colleges and are done for free. The actual inspection only involved verifying that the breather on one valve cover was fed from the air cleaner and the other valve cover had a PCV valve feeding the carb. Once this was done he reviewed my paperwork and got approval. He identified the car as a 1965 cobra exempt from smog requirements. He attached a certification tag and I was on my way with a document to give to the DMV.

The last step was to go to the DMV. The BAR referee suggested I go to San Clemente because they seemed to know how to deal with specially constructed vehicles. I did that yesterday. It took about a half hour to get a number to see someone. The numbers were proceeded by a letter. I think the letter identified the type of assistance you need. I was letter B. And the same person took care of only letter B while other letters seemed to be covered by all the other stations. It took another hour and 15 minutes to get to see the person taking care of letter B. When I got to her counter she was very efficient. She reviewed all my paperwork and had me fill out another document to add my wife’s name to the title. She collected the 2017 fees but waived penalties from 2016. With that I was given new license plates and I was finally done.

To summarize. The steps are
    Get a DMV specially constructed vehicle sequence number.
    Have CHP assign a VIN number.
    Get BAR brake and Light certification.
    Get BAR referee inspection
    Go back to the DMV for final title.

Unfortunately they did not give me any copies of any of the forms submitted and I did not make copies before going to the DMV.

However I believe the following are the documents needed.
    Specially constructed vehicle sequence number
    Application for title or registration
    Statement of construction
    Certificate of origin
    Brake & light inspection certificate
    Receipts for kit, engine and transmission.
    Application for assigned vehicle identification number plate

Sorry for the long winded explanation and if I left anything out or made any errors feel free to correct me.

22. Thanks haley thanked for this post
    Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Makes it seem less daunting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Clerk is correct. You cannot begin the formal registration process without the vin # which is only assigned by chp. The first step is to go to chp, then dmv, then brake/lamp check, then bar referee and back to dmv. Dmv can't issue seq# without vin# to assign it to. Sorry if anything I wrote earlier led to your confusion but it's no big deal. Just an other dmv visit in your spare time.. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got through the process in Northern California (got plates in March) and the initial write-up in this blog was a huge help. The DMV clerk was impressed how prepared I was. My experience was slightly different in terms of the order that you get things done. Here is how mine went.

1) At DMV 3-Jan-17 7:00 am with the requisite papers filled out (downloaded from DMV website.) The clerk had to refer to her loose leaf notebook to get through the process. Day 1: pay taxes (9.25 % of receipt total) and reg. fees; get single day operating permit for brake and lamp certification. NO SEQUENCE CERTIFICATE. Clerk did mention that the sequence numbers used to be gone by 10:00 am on the first day of the year they operate, BUT, "they have not run out in ten years". I thought OK but risky.

2) Brake and lamp test - no problem $130 later, back to DMV for another operating permit...

3) CHP VIN assignment - no problem, trooper used frame SN. Back to DMV for long term operating sticker for smog referee.

4) Asked DMV "receptionist" for the sequence certificate, she said no, I need to get my smog certification. In the DMV lot I called for a smog referee appointment. They said "no, I need a sequence certificate"... aggravated at this point. Head back into the DMV, dealt with the same "receptionist" and she said, I am not kidding "that's right you need a sequence certificate" and gave me a number for service. Waited my turn and got the same clerk that handled my first trip. After 30 minutes or so, she dealt with her supervisor and they made the request to Sacramento...It will be mailed to me to 2-3 weeks!

5) After 3 week and 1 day I went to DMV having received nothing...the supervisor would call Sacramento TOMORROW as the person was not currently available. Assuring me they would call me the next day in the am. 12:00 the next day, no call back BUT, in the mail was my sequence certificate.

Almost there...

6) Made an appointment with smog referee. He spent 55 of the 60 minutes with me reviewing the paper work, and he took some pictures. All done? Nope, he will need to talk to his manager and get back to me, "maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe in three weeks" he could not say. He did insist on PCV to the air intake...

7) Called back the next day and he will give me a sticker, BUT, I need to make an appointment with smog referee appointment line. GRRRRRR!

8) Got "the last appointment available this month" for about a week away. Went to appointment, he checked the PCV plumbing and gave me the sticker and paper work for DMV.

9) Following day I went to DMV and got plates.

The whole process took from 3-Jan-17 to 30-Mar-17. One issue I had was it has been a wet winter in NorCAl and with a topless car you get picky about when you drive it. This can be done, you just need to follow THEIR process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any out of state registrations that California DMV will accept instead of going through the SB100 process?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt the state cares. If you can get one of these registered in say Tennessee, CA would just register it here using whatever Tennessee used as far as year make and model goes. Then, you would need to have it smog checked for the specific year, make,model requirements. Once another state has licensed the car your baseline is set and it's no longer a "special construction" unless that is how it was registered before. As easy as thd CA process was for me, if would not make sense to try and avoid the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Dave, for the heads-up on the PCV spec hose. I'm mid process in registration now. Here's how things are going:
    I found ehansen's awesome thread which educated me on what to expect and how to prepare.
    Then I went to the DMV website and searched for SPCNS (specially constructed vehicles). I found a page telling me everything I would need for my first DMV visit. There are also copies of the forms which I was able to download, complete, and print. This saved lots of trouble for the DMV clerk by not having to decipher my sanskrit handwriting. I made an appointment with the local DMV office. The appointment was less than two weeks out. It was great being able to walk past the line stretching to the street. I told the clerk I had an SPCNS. She said she had done a couple of those in the past. I gave her my completed forms and offered printouts of pages from the DMV website explaining the process. There was even a reference to the DMV handbook and she promptly looked up that section. Having the necessary receipts and completed forms made everything flow smoothly. Still, it took almost two hours including the manager's involvement after which I was issued a single one-day permit to drive to inspections. I was to return if I needed more. My envelope of paperwork got thicker.
    Immediately on my return home a call was placed to the local CHP office to schedule an appointment, 6 weeks! The seven mile drive to the CHP was the first time I had done anything more than a quick go-cart run down the block. What a ride! Every stop light involved thumbs-up, waves, smiles or questions. Officer Smith at the Winnetka CHP was great. We talked about the car for a while. I had receipts for the four main components (frame, body, engine, & transmission) which was all he needed. We talked about possible VIN's. I suggested using the Factory Five serial number. He said, "This is a Factory Five? This is going to be easy".
    Next was a call to the DMV to find out why I hadn't received my SPCNS certificate with my sequence number. Started calling at 8:00AM. Finally got to someone at special processing just after lunch. This was one of the people who actually issues the sequence numbers. He told me the number couldn't be issued until my VIN was entered into the system by a DMV office. Not what was explained to me when I was at the DMV, but, it made sense.
    DMV trip number two. 2:00PM Friday. No appointment this time. They call Sacramento. Probably the same person I spoke to earlier. At 4:50PM they handed me my paperwork with my sequence number handwritten on it. I'm told Sacramento will complete the certificate in 7 - 10 working days. The original will be sent to the BAR and a copy will come to me. The BAR will be calling me to schedule an appoint for inspection (not if I call them first!). I then asked if I might get a couple more "hall passes" so I could drive the car to it's inspections. They gave me a 30-day temp sticker! Woohoo! I only think that happened because the manager was gone for the day and I had been complementing them and thanking them for their help.
    Next up, Brake and light inspection, BAR, then back to the DMV for my plates. Then there's sanding, filling, priming, and painting. Followed by more smiles, thumbs-ups, questions...

Steve