Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Preping for SAAC-42 at Indy June 8 & 9th

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Preping for SAAC-42 at Indy June 8 & 9th

Every so often I get messages or flyer about the SAAC conventions. I just can't sit that long at a show so rarely ever attend. I did one a while back at what was Charlotte Motor Speedway which was awesome as it rained most of the time the track events were open. SO most of the time I had the entire track to myself! It was awesome! It is a bit foreboding to be on the back straightaway at Charlotte, looking at that tall white concrete wall at the banking of the turn! It does - at least for me - got me thinking, if I screw-up that WILL leave a mark. Just no screw-up!
    So a few months ago I got a SAAC News that the convention would be at Indy this year AND yes the track will be open for track events for two days Thursday and Friday. So I sign up for every track event time slot they will let me!

As this WAS on my impossible list of bucket activities never thought it would happen so just could not pass it up.

I even ... sigh... pulled my car in the garage jacked it up to go over everything and decided to pull the engine - new clutch, new rear crank seal, and generally clean up some of the road dust and dirt. White boarded all the items to go over and last was to install the new clutch ... tightening the pressure plate bolts to 35 fps only to have one bolt break in the flywheel! I did the drill, extractor etc... but this bolt was not coming out. Ok finally gave it up and went to the computer - who has a flywheel in stock?.... Wife comes in as it's late at night asking how's it going and to I think check up on this old man working on his car. So I explain that it's not been a good night so far but we'll beat it yet. So I find that there is this place in Ohio that sends out catalogs and carries lots of racing and street stuff in stock. AND they have a 24hour line. So I call and yup they have what I need in stock. I can pick it up at the store in Ohio or they will ship it to be here by Friday. Wife asks how far away are they - quick check of Google map and it's only an hour. So she offers to go pickup the parts. So I say ya better she goes as I will buy lots of "extra" stuff if I went! So my sweet wife made the 2+ hour drive to pickup my engine parts. All so I can go to INDY!

Tonight we finish all the white board tasks and drop the engine back into my car. And in just a few days we're OFF to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One Big Question:

How Many Miles Do You Have On That Famous FFR MK-1 As Of Today?

Post Thanks / Like
    You go Ralph!!! Pls we need lots of pics at Indy.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.