Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Western Canada Import to Road !

Post Thanks / Like

Question Western Canada Import to Road !

Hi I've picked up my donor Impreza a 2007 2.5i 5 speed:
    Not sure what it is but since I found FF5 and the 818C I just can't let it go !
    But before I order a 818C kit. I would like to know what you all can give for your advice bringing to Canada or what you would do differently next time !
    I live in Western Canada, Saskatchewan specifically.
    *I am looking for a collective of information from importing by picking up or having it shipped.
    * As well: I look for your experience, hurdles and advices getting these kits accepted for road safeties, licensing and insuring in Canada or your Province.
    *If you have something to share I am interested as I am sure are others to come ! All I would ask is if you could specify your Canadian Province; as we know each may differ slightly in their policies for road licensing and insuring.

My Goal here is to make my Kit Purchase, import, to Road experience as painless as possible !
    Thank you for your input, Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Al, welcome to the forum, Importing isn't really difficult you just need to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Once you have ordered and paid in full, FF5 will issue you an invoice and other paperwork. You will need to submit this to Transport Canada who will give you approval to import. Once you have that approval you can either have it shipped or go get it your self. Either way you just need to make sure you have all your paperwork with you when you cross the border or pick up at a bonded warehouse. Be prepared to pay the GST at the border or pick up point.

Post Thanks / Like
    I imported mine into Sask last summer. Give yourself a minimum of 2 months wait time with import Canada. They say it takes 4 - 6 weeks but mine was a little over 2 months. I had mine shipped with Stewart transport to North Portal, SK. I met the driver with a trailer and brought it in. Make sure you keep your GST/PST receipt, SGI wants to see that you have paid the amount when you go to register the car. I'll be going for the registration process shortly, you need to pass a body and mechanical inspection. There hasn't been any 818C's registered in SK yet but they have done GTM's. SGI is aware of Factory Five and they have someone who does have specific knowledge of the registration steps. Do not cut and weld the frame, they want to see it as it was built by Factory Five.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, your experience is a good start for my motivation !

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, Not sure where to ask or if you would want to say. Interested because costs and your experience would be similar to what I would expect. I assume you had a crate with your shipment. Wondering what your cost to that point were ? As I am new to this forum, I'm not sure if one could just respond to me directly or if you were OK with saying in this forum ?
    Thanks Scoobs for your comment here !

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not crate it, it was around $1,900 USD to get it there. Bring some blocks to set the frame down on. I was able to fit all of the boxes in the back of the truck, with the rear hatch glass in the back seat.
    facebook_1485138174180.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read of many Canucks who have gone through the entire importing process, and arranged the shipping themselves. It is not impossible.

Back when I ordered my Roadster, I did it all through Al Beix at Western Canada Cobra's. He was the authorized Canadian Distributor for FFR.

He took my options list, and a check for a deposit. Three weeks later he asked for the balance owing, and said the package was ready for shipment, as soon as the DOT gave final approval. Once that happened, (took around two weeks), about 12 days later a semi pulling a flat-deck trailer showed up, with a huge crate sitting on it.
    It was that simple. I didn't have to deal with any of the paperwork for customs, shipping, brokers, DOT, submitting GST, etc, etc..nothing. No headaches or worries.

I am not sure if Al is still doing this, or if he now has someone else to replace him. I believe there is also another FFR authorzed Distributor in eastern Canada, that does the same thing?

If you don't want to deal with all the various steps, Gov't, customs, brokers, etc, etc, and paperwork, I would use a Canadian Distributor. It does not cost you anything more, then if you bought it directly from FFR. They get paid a commission from FFR.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like

Heims joints and fuel tank standards for Canada and Saskatchewan kits ?

Quote Originally Posted by Al@icloud View Post
    Hi I've picked up my donor Impreza a 2007 2.5i 5 speed:
    Not sure what it is but since I found FF5 and the 818C I just can't let it go !
    But before I order a 818C kit. I would like to know what you all can give for your advice bringing to Canada or what you would do differently next time !
    I live in Western Canada, Saskatchewan specifically.
    *I am looking for a collective of information from importing by picking up or having it shipped.
    * As well: I look for your experience, hurdles and advices getting these kits accepted for road safeties, licensing and insuring in Canada or your Province.
    *If you have something to share I am interested as I am sure are others to come ! All I would ask is if you could specify your Canadian Province; as we know each may differ slightly in their policies for road licensing and insuring.

My Goal here is to make my Kit Purchase, import, to Road experience as painless as possible !
    Thank you for your input, Al

I've talked a bit with our local Gov't Insurance SGI and two issues came up re licensing; those issues were Heims joints in the suspension and a proper fuel tank meeting our standards. I understand that Factory Five has shipped to Saskatchewan in the past, does anyone know or able to describe these two issues or what they have done to meet our standards to qualify for the road and licensing here ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Ottawa so I just went and got mine - remember you aren't importing a kit car, you are importing car parts - as far as the 818 just call Factory Five, they do specific CDN "Car Parts" so they will know and they are always happy to hear from you.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

importing parts !

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty's65 View Post
    I'm in Ottawa so I just went and got mine - remember you aren't importing a kit car, you are importing car parts - as far as the 818 just call Factory Five, they do specific CDN "Car Parts" so they will know and they are always happy to hear from you.

Scott
    Thanks, points like you mentioned will help myself and others that follow .

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove to FFR and picked up my kit with a truck and trailer. About 12 hours each way. I did all of the Transport Canada and Canada Customs paperwork myself. Not hard to do.