Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 2015 coyote donor

Post Thanks / Like

2015 coyote donor

Is it fesable to find a 2015 mustang and doner the car like the 87 to 04 kit?

At a minimum you would have the motor trans and irs - some of the things i have not discovered is:
    Does the F5 complete kit end up with suspention parts, spindles and rotors, calipers from the 15 Mustang anyway?

Could the radiator from the 2015 work?

What about peddle box

Any other pars around the engine that could be used?

If the crate coyote motor trans and rear diff run 20K, Some Running Mustangs are in that price range
    I have no idea on wrecked prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure it would be a bad idea. The only thing you could use is the engine and some of the IRS stuff. Unlikely anything else will fit. Even the transmission is too long.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Crate motor and trans- complete with bell housing clutch air filter control pack, alt, dress up kit etc is in the 13 k range. New diff parts not provided with the kit are less than $1500

I agree with Mike. more homework needs to be done. But a 20k donor would likely not be the least expensive route
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    The complete kit comes with suspension parts. The base kit does not . base kit only provides front upper control arms.

Neither kit provides any parts from a 2015 mustang
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    If the crate coyote motor trans and rear diff run 20K, Some Running Mustangs are in that price range I have no idea on wrecked prices.
    Adding to what the others said, a new Coyote crate, controls pack, starter, alternator and TKO should be in the 11 - 12K range. For the Mustang IRS, brand new center sections are < 1K. Knuckles/hubs few hundred for the pair. You may be able to find those parts a bit cheaper in salvage or as new take-outs. Regardless, you're not going to be near 20K. Besides, the Coyote out of a Mustang would still need the crate controls pack at $1800 or so. I've not heard of anyone using the donor harness and PCM. Just not going to work outside the original installation. The number of other parts that would be suitable donor parts out of a Mustang in that age range would be very limited IMO. I don't see the value at all.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The doner car route is designed around the 1989-2004 Mustang. A pretty good option " in the day". When I purchased my kit in 2012 I did not consider the doner route for the following reasons.
    At the very least, I'm using an 8 year old doner. Every single part coming off the doner for use on the Roadster would have to be rebuilt and finished prior to install in the base kit. The cost of the doner and the rebuild and finish costs are comparable to the complete kit and new parts. And at the end of the process you have a great looking car with a bunch of Mustang parts. That wasn't what I was looking for. I think the doner route for a build is getting less desirable now as we are talking about 14-20 year old doners.
    In your case, the 2015 doner would yield engine, controls, and some rear suspension components but not the whole thing. If you didn't want new stuff, it would definitely be cheaper to pick up those parts from a auto recycler. Even good old eBay.

The best doner is a donair.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 05-21-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason, i am always thinking of how to inovate or fix things - some mental disorder i guess !

It was just in my mind, that some day there would be enough 2015's around that F5 could make it an option.
    If they were thinking today its to expensive but 5 years from now ???
    I like the non doner idea for the car. It should be a cleaner way to build a car.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    For some reason, i am always thinking of how to inovate or fix things - some mental disorder i guess !
    I suffer from the same disorder so:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Welcome to the family; you've come to the right place.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-21-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have spent a couple evenings in the garage comparing the 2015 pedal box to the SN95 box and I can say with some certainty that it is not feasible to try to adapt the 2015 pedal box to use in the roadster. I will be using the clutch slave cylinder from the 2015 and fabbing brackets to use with the SN95 clutch pedal in place of the cable quadrant. The reason that I am going this route is because I am also utilizing the 6 speed from the 2015 in my coyote build. The tranny itself is actually shorter than most of the others used. However major surgery to modify and move the shifter into a usable position as the factory mount hangs it way off the back of the tranny..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Pretty sure it would be a bad idea. The only thing you could use is the engine and some of the IRS stuff. Unlikely anything else will fit. Even the transmission is too long.
    Mike
    Actually, the Mustang MT82 transmission fits fine, it's the shifter that's the problem. The Mustang shifter hangs off the back of the transmission, putting it somewhere behind your right elbow.

We have an MT82 in our Mark IV and our Coupe and have developed a top mounted shifter specifically for these cars. It puts the shifter in the right spot and the shift feel is great. We intend to be able to be able to offer it in early 2018.

The driveshaft is another challenge. The one in our Mark IV was expensive to put together, we are looking at how we can come up with something more reasonable. I think it's actually longer than the driveshaft that came with our Mark IV kit.
    Doug
    Former Design Director at FormaCars

11. Likes Duck62 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug @ Forma View Post
    Actually, the Mustang MT82 transmission fits fine, it's the shifter that's the problem. The Mustang shifter hangs off the back of the transmission, putting it somewhere behind your right elbow.

We have an MT82 in our Mark IV and our Coupe and have developed a top mounted shifter specifically for these cars. It puts the shifter in the right spot and the shift feel is great. We intend to be able to be able to offer it in early 2018.

The driveshaft is another challenge. The one in our Mark IV was expensive to put together, we are looking at how we can come up with something more reasonable. I think it's actually longer than the driveshaft that came with our Mark IV kit.
    Do you have any more information on the shifter and the drive shaft?

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, you can have a driveshaft made for a decent price. I just paid less than 500$ for mine for my coyote/6r80 hot rod. They don’t nirmally do mail order but said they would. I supplied the two flanges and one u joint and they supplied the slip yoke and everything else. Not a site sponsor so I won’t post name here, but there are several online vendors within google search that build driveshafts for reasonable costs.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am actually more interested in the top mounted shifter for the MT82 with the MK4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck62 View Post
    I am actually more interested in the top mounted shifter for the MT82 with the MK4.
    Yeah, that's kind of the gateway to an inexpensive eBay Coyote/MT82 pallet approach.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of the gateway to an inexpensive eBay Coyote/MT82 pallet approach.
    Is there a more detailed project showing this? I have seen a couple cars on here that have had them done. But no real solid info. Maybe FF will develop as an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been testing ours pretty extensively and discovered a potential problem with our design (it was too easy to strip out one of the tapped holes during installation). Consequently, we modified the design of a couple of the components and will be testing it further as soon as the weather cooperates. Our plan is to have this kit available for sale this coming month. That being said, we have been asked to provide two cars for the FFR booth at SEMA which need to be loaded in the trailer and on the road to Las Vegas in four short weeks. That has the potential to delay us until after SEMA. I will update everyone as soon as we have proven out the new component design.
    I know that several people have expressed interest in this kit and we have been pretty long in the chute. Therefore, I would like to offer a 25% discount to the first four to purchase this kit from us. We'll have this on our web store by the end of the week.
    For those that are interested, our kit plus a few parts salvaged from the donor Mustang shift mechanism, provides a robust shifter solution for a Coyote/MT-82 drive train. I've attached a couple of images from our installation manual. Anyone who would like to look through the installation manual, please send me an email and I'll send you a pdf of the preliminary manual. Best email for me is [email protected]80056_BOM.JPG80056_ford_parts_BOM.JPG80348_80349_assemblies.JPG
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ Forma View Post
    We have been testing ours pretty extensively and discovered a potential problem with our design (it was too easy to strip out one of the tapped holes during installation). Consequently, we modified the design of a couple of the components and will be testing it further as soon as the weather cooperates. Our plan is to have this kit available for sale this coming month. That being said, we have been asked to provide two cars for the FFR booth at SEMA which need to be loaded in the trailer and on the road to Las Vegas in four short weeks. That has the potential to delay us until after SEMA. I will update everyone as soon as we have proven out the new component design.
    I know that several people have expressed interest in this kit and we have been pretty long in the chute. Therefore, I would like to offer a 25% discount to the first four to purchase this kit from us. We'll have this on our web store by the end of the week.
    For those that are interested, our kit plus a few parts salvaged from the donor Mustang shift mechanism, provides a robust shifter solution for a Coyote/MT-82 drive train. I've attached a couple of images from our installation manual. Anyone who would like to look through the installation manual, please send me an email and I'll send you a pdf of the preliminary manual. Best email for me is [email protected]80056_BOM.JPG80056_ford_parts_BOM.JPG80348_80349_assemblies.JPG
    Any update on this yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck62 View Post
    Any update on this yet?
    I'm super interested in this kit as well. I emailed Chris to see if he has any info. I'll let you know if I get something back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to Larry Wright Formacars Sales Manager at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale and had a chance to sit in their roadster and run the MT82 shifter thru the gates. I liked the feel and shifter position which fell nicely to hand. They now have it up on their web site with an anticipated shipping date mid-march. I took a big gulp, reminded myself that the price includes recovery of the engineering and development costs and placed my order. Once I have the real thing in hand I will post an update

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kcorn View Post
    I spoke to Larry Wright Formacars Sales Manager at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale and had a chance to sit in their roadster and run the MT82 shifter thru the gates. I liked the feel and shifter position which fell nicely to hand. They now have it up on their web site with an anticipated shipping date mid-march. I took a big gulp, reminded myself that the price includes recovery of the engineering and development costs and placed my order. Once I have the real thing in hand I will post an update
    Have you received
    It yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got an email today that it has been shipped so soon.

23. Likes Duck62 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Canada and I often have stuff shipped to a drop shipping address in Montana and then I go down there and clear anything I have ordered thru Customs myself. So the shift has arrived in Montana but I haven't yet made it down to pick up. Probably won't have an opportunity now until next week-end.

26. Likes Duck62 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dealing with a death in the family put everything on hold for awhile. Did get a chance to make a run to Montana to pick up a number of purchases including the ProForma MT82 shifter kit. I am quite pleased with the quality of the pieces. The shifter housing is very robust and in dry fitting the various components together the parts appear to be manufactured to very close tolerances. It appears that the shifter handle ends up being about 24 1/2" from the face of the bellhousing. I have a tremec 3650 from a 2004 Mustang GT and the measurement on that transmission from the face of the bellhousing to the center of the shifter stalk is 27"