A bit of background, which will repeat some of what I’ve posted previously, but some is new. I’m putting the repeat material here as a central repository of my build story.

I started looking at Factory Five kits back in 2011. Originally, I had planned for a Coupe build, with so much enthusiasm that my gmail e-mail address (DaytonaCoupeBuilder) references that planned build. That all changed when a friend bought a Porsche Boxster S, and took me for a spin. Roofs are overrated! My Coupe build became a Roadster build that day.

In May, 2016, my brother was diagnosed with brain cancer. He had a craniotomy, and the final diagnosis was Glioblastoma (GBM). Shortly after the surgery, he had a stroke – so in addition to fighting the cancer, he was fighting to walk, talk, and more. Radiation followed, along with physical therapy for the stroke. It was bad times. I spent a lot of last summer in Wisconsin doing what I could, but it sure puts lots of different things in perspective. In March of this year, he had a recurrence of the GBM, and he was initially put into a hospice. I travelled back to Wisconsin the day he entered, and my mother died unexpectedly that night while I was sleeping at her house. Yes, really. Now, my brother is out of hospice, as it wasn’t really the right kind of care, and is currently in a 'memory care' facility, as he has virtually no short term memory. As hard as it is to accept, the reality is he, too, is dying. So, after all this, my wife and I decided this Factory Five project shouldn’t be put off any longer. Because, you never know what tomorrow might bring. Live life like you were dying, not really intending to quote a country song.

So, now, I’ve now officially pulled the trigger, and submitted my Roadster order on 5/19/17. I’m order # 122199, with an expected completion date of 7/1/17. Stewart Transportation will be delivering my kit, although the delivery timing is sort of a letdown. They're planning pick-up of the kit the week of 7/17, and we'll see what my delivery date is later. However, I'll be out of town again for work on 7/24 for a while, so I might be sort of screwed.

My goal is a Roadster build that will be used primarily for cruising, occasional auto crossing and track days – but only for fun rather than hardcore competition, and hopefully some car shows – but again, mostly for the social experience rather than going for trophies (although I wouldn’t turn them down). Oh, and if either of my daughters get named homecoming queen or anything of the sort – definitely parade use. Can the body support someone sitting on the deck between the seats? Seriously asking. Can it?

Here is what I have planned for the build:
A complete kit Roadster with IRS, power steering, leather seats, Halibrand replicas, a passenger roll bar to meet my wife’s request, and a few other things. I’m in Michigan, so it will also require wipers, windshield washers, and over-riders (I plan to only install the bumpers if I have an issue with the state required inspection). I included wind wings, visors (although I’m not sure that I’m going to use them), a powder coated chassis, glovebox dash, vintage gauges, SS side pipes, and front and rear sway bars. I'm planning on manual brakes.

For the engine, I'm an engine guy, so it has to be absolutely beautiful. No engine beauty covers here, the engine itself will have to be a work of art. I have a Dart block based 363 build planned. Holbrook will be building my long block. In addition to many other components, I already have purchased a Jim Inglese 48 IDA system. The engine should be ready for pick-up on 7/3/17, at which time I’ll have to finish it’s build. I’ve already purchased nearly all the required components for that build. The block will be painted red engine enamel, and there will be a significant amount of chrome and polished stuff underhood.

The transmission will be a Tremec TKO-600 (TCET5008, with the 0.64 ratio 5th gear), which I purchased from Mike Forte, along with the flywheel, bellhousing, and hydraulic clutch set-up. It is all in hand, and should be ready for assembly.

Body: Red with White racing stripes. I do plan on gumballs on the hood and decklid, but not on the sides, with the number 5 in the gumball. Not because it’s a Factory Five, but due to all my homebuilt guitars, amps, and effects pedals having my 'Mach5' logo on them - sort of my brand for my builds, so I want to use it on the car as well. Hence my mach’er user name, although there is more to that story (but we’ll save that for another day). I plan on powder coating the aluminum panels, but have abandoned the plan to powder coat the chassis red. Red, white, and chrome, with a black interior.

I now plan on doing the bodywork myself, but having the paint done professionally by an experienced FF painter. I do have some recommended shops for the paint, but as it is still a ways off, I’m always open for suggestions on this one.

As a final touch, I have a customized license plate planned. But I'm holding that close to the vest...

I’ve lurked for years, and now am jumping without a net. Well, not really without a net. My plan and this website are my net. This site is a great resource, and as I go through this process I know help is only a post away. You guys rock! And along those lines, I plan on keeping a thorough build thread. Maybe someone else can use it someday, the same way I’m using the build threads of those that came before me.

While I was lurking, I ended up purchasing some things that I’m ultimately not going to use. I’ll eventually be putting these things in the Classified section. Some might be pay-it-forward, as I don’t know that there is still a market for things like knuckles/hubs for the old IRS system.

I look forward to July, and really kicking off this build. In the meantime, I’m moving forward with prep work. More on that shortly.