Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Vinyl Dash Mount

Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl Dash Mount

I'm trying to mount the dashboard with no screws. Has anyone found a glue or epoxy that will stick to the back of the FFR vinyl dashboard? I've tried 2 different types of JB weld and nothing will hold an aluminum or PVC bracket.

Thanks
    Brian
    MK IV - #9586, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    How about Velcro across the curved bar and a under dash filler from www.replicapart.com I also put a screw inside the glove box and into the bottom of the curved bar. If you mount the dash without the body, it will be obvious where you can drill it. You will need a stubby screwdriver to install.
    Mike

3. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used this stuff. The 3/4" fits the hoop nicely and it works GREAT! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mounting is solid and strong and it's easy to remove the dash when needed. No need for screws. Just make sure all contact surfaces are clean. I used acetone because there was some handy, but a high concentration of isopropyl alcohol should also work with less risk of damaging a surface, then a light sanding with 400 and another wipe with the acetone. I then pressed the tape down carefully and firmly with a roller. I've removed the dash 7 or 8 times with zero sign of adhesive failure on either the dash or the hoop. I used gloves during the installation to ensure no finger or hand oils contaminated the surfaces and then ensured the edges/ends were tight and secure. It's not cheap at $50+ for ten feet (or about $300 for 135 feet), but it works. I purchased the larger roll, but have many things to use it on and I hate paying nearly 4 times as much for a smaller amount.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    ... it's easy to remove the dash when needed...
    Maybe now but that won't be the case once the body is on. The body's cowl lip will wrap around and will not allow you to pull the top of the dash rearward away from the hoop to disengage Velcro or Dual Lock.

Jeff

6. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Maybe now but that won't be the case once the body is on. The body's cowl lip will wrap around and will not allow you to pull the top of the dash rearward away from the hoop to disengage Velcro or Dual Lock.

Jeff
    Thanks! I didn’t realize the body pressed against the dash that close. I wonder if the cowl could be trimmed back 1/4” and the gap closed with removable weatherstrip or a trim piece?
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to an earlier thread on the topic.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...FFR-Vinyl-Dash
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D02G View Post
    I'm trying to mount the dashboard with no screws. Has anyone found a glue or epoxy that will stick to the back of the FFR vinyl dashboard? I've tried 2 different types of JB weld and nothing will hold an aluminum or PVC bracket.

Thanks
    Brian
    Brian - A few years ago, Tony Zullo described how he mounted dashboards without screws. His approach was to connect the ends of the dash to the frame, and support the center with a (period correct) "A" frame at the center. That said, I just swapped out my dashboard (at Jeff K's while the body was off...) It is supported at the ends by the frame, and underneath by bolting it (using 2 1/4 x 1 inch machine bolts) to the underdash supports. Granted it does have one screw at the top center, but I suppose you could leave that out. Hope this helps.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

10. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Brian - A few years ago, Tony Zullo described how he mounted dashboards without screws. His approach was to connect the ends of the dash to the frame, and support the center with a (period correct) "A" frame at the center. That said, I just swapped out my dashboard (at Jeff K's while the body was off...) It is supported at the ends by the frame, and underneath by bolting it (using 2 1/4 x 1 inch machine bolts) to the underdash supports. Granted it does have one screw at the top center, but I suppose you could leave that out. Hope this helps.
    Hi Al,

Do you have any pictures?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used JB Weld’s PlasticBonder to attach aluminum L brackets to the vinyl dash. It worked beautifully, withstanding several cycles of mounting / dismounting the dashboard without fail. https://www.jbweld.com/product/plastic-bonder-syringe

I used Edwardb’s approach of mounting aluminum L brackets to the dash and epoxying / riveting nut plates to the bottom of the 3/4” dash tube Then running cap screws up through the dash mounted L brackets into the nut plates. It makes a great strong and removable mounting system. No screws showing.
    Seattle area; MK4 kit received 5/18; Build completed 3/20; Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600; IRS; Wilwood brakes; PS; PB; Gas-N sidepipes; Vinyl Dash with glovebox; Heater/Defroster; Premium Soft Top

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D02G View Post
    Hi Al,

Do you have any pictures?
    Here's the only photo I have (now) of the dash as described above. Honestly, it doesn't show much. I'm picking my car up on Tuesday (!) from Jeff's, and I can take more detailed dashboard photos then...

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Just used a similar approach to mounting the brackets as Paul, but instead of epoxy, I used 3M Super Strength Trim Tape. If it will hold trim on the outside of a vehicle to go through a car wash, it will hold that light weight of the dash up.
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I’m going try the plastic bonder and the trim tape. I’ll advise with my results.