BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pressure Regulator - Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pressure Regulator - Coyote

I ordered a fuel pressure regulator from Forte along with many other parts. I didn't really pay attention to the model number and was a little confused when it arrived.

As all of the ones I've seen on the forum are using an adjustable (usually Aeromotive) one, I did some digging and found a few old posts talking about this fuel filter regulator. But I wanted to get some fresh opinions from all of you knowledge people.
    1) Overall thoughts on this vs the Aeromotive units (I do not plan on making any future changes that would require adjusting fuel pressure) - should I switch?
    2) Does this replace my fuel filter, or do I run lines through both?
    3) How exactly does this thing mount?
    4) Can the supplied line that connects to the oulet valve be bent? Or do I need to find a location where it has room (the whole thing is maybe 14" long)?

Thanks!
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you set the pressure and where do you read that pressure?
    Would be curious how Forte answers your questions also?

Sorry I have nothing helpful to add. I remember you talking about that when you came down and was curious what you figured out.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    How do you set the pressure and where do you read that pressure?
    You evidently don't do either - its preset for a certain PSI from the manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like
    That one works perfect for the Coyote. I believe its a Corvette part. Much cheaper too.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    That one works perfect for the Coyote. I believe its a Corvette part. Much cheaper too.
    Mike
    Awesome. Any input on the rest of my questions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Mike
    How does it know the proper psi?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    That regulator was recommend to me for simplification and also a bit cheaper. They're fixed at 58 psi, as I understand, and also have heard they work fine. That's 3 lbs higher than the 55 lbs from the Coyote instructions. But doesn't seem enough to make a difference.

I chose not to use one because I wanted to use -AN fittings. There are adapters available for this regulator, but I didn't care for them and they add to the cost. Plus it didn't support, as best I could tell, the recommended vacuum reference signal. Some debate about whether the vacuum signal is really required. But bottom line, I stuck with the usual Aeromotive regulator. One of the advantages, IMO, of picking my own parts vs. a package deal.

It's definitely not a fuel filter. I personally wouldn't try to bend the lines, but that's just an opinion with zero actual experience.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-30-2017 at 07:11 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    So does it still get mounted in the engine bay somewhere and I just need to find a place where I can make that run long enough?
    Or maybe mount it underneath the passenger floor on the 4in tube where I have the fuel and return lines (shortening them as needed)?

I'm also still confused because it's listed as a fuel filter and regulator on sites: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS-Fue...Kit,41791.html
    Last edited by Jdav; 05-30-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    So does it still get mounted in the engine bay somewhere and I just need to find a place where I can make that run long enough?
    Or maybe mount it underneath the passenger floor on the 4in tube where I have the fuel and return lines (shortening them as needed)?

I'm also still confused because it's listed as a fuel filter and regulator on sites: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS-Fue...Kit,41791.html
    I stand corrected. Closer look at the documentation clearly shows it also includes 5 micron paper filter.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-30-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mount it as close to the tanks as you can. Much shorter return line that way.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    I ordered a fuel pressure regulator from Forte along with many other parts. I didn't really pay attention to the model number and was a little confused when it arrived.

As all of the ones I've seen on the forum are using an adjustable (usually Aeromotive) one, I did some digging and found a few old posts talking about this fuel filter regulator. But I wanted to get some fresh opinions from all of you knowledge people.
    1) Overall thoughts on this vs the Aeromotive units (I do not plan on making any future changes that would require adjusting fuel pressure) - should I switch?
    2) Does this replace my fuel filter, or do I run lines through both?
    3) How exactly does this thing mount?
    4) Can the supplied line that connects to the oulet valve be bent? Or do I need to find a location where it has room (the whole thing is maybe 14" long)?

Thanks!

1 I use this one very coyote build I have done- about 8- they work awesome, no monkeying around with fittings. Push locks , never leak and are used on every production car made today.
    2 replaces your fuel filter
    3, ah....... though the clamp that is mounted to it.
    4 supplied line can be bent, just not kinked.

As Mike has said, mount it close to the tank as possible. Run a short return line, and a Single line up to the fuel rail.
    IT is preset to .. 58 PSI, they work like a charm.

Also they are $35 rather than over a hundred for aeromotive fuel regulator, fittings and Gauge.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff!
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    That might reopen the discussion about if the Coyote need a fuel pressure regulator reference to manifold vacuum or not. This regulator has no manifold reference pressure tap.

Make certain your tuner knows.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am assuming that the red capped line is the input and the orange capped line is the return(on the top side of my picture) but you know what assuming does.
    Red looks to be a larger diameter.
    Can anyone confirm?

Post Thanks / Like
    The single line feeds the motor. The larger of the two on the other side is the feed from the pump. The smaller is the return.

As,far as vacuum reference ? This is the same regulator used on FFR's supercharged coyote hot rod. Without issue. I think that was in the 500hp range.
    Last edited by FFinisher; 06-01-2017 at 06:26 AM.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh, I've never seen a regulator like this before. Convienent to install but you may want to look into how the stock regulator from ford works. Most OEM regulators drop pressure at idle to around 32 or so psi, and as vacuum is removed the pressure rises. This is because the fueling is tuned to have a constant pressure delta across the injectors which makes life easier. if this is the case for the Coyotie you may be better served with a stock type variable rate regulator. The motor May run fine but I guarantee the fuel trims after learning will be all messed up and over consumption of fuel is a possibility. If you are going to tune the motor then no worries as you tune around it and life is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    As said above, this is a pretty standard part on millions of cars. They are inexpensive, readily available at any parts store, and dead on reliable. I put one on my race car for all of those reasons. On an essentially stock motor, there's no good reason not to use one.

If you're using a stock Coyote engine, I would recommend using stock style nylon lines for pretty much the same reasons: light weight, inexpensive, readily available, dead nuts reliable, and last pretty much forever.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    As said above, this is a pretty standard part on millions of cars. They are inexpensive, readily available at any parts store, and dead on reliable. I put one on my race car for all of those reasons. On an essentially stock motor, there's no good reason not to use one.

If you're using a stock Coyote engine, I would recommend using stock style nylon lines for pretty much the same reasons: light weight, inexpensive, readily available, dead nuts reliable, and last pretty much forever.

Exactly what I do.

You are singing my tune Bob
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The filter is a WIX 33737.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...tcombocontents

The red capped line is the supply the center tube is the return and the single threaded fitting is the output.

I used this along with Summit's SS braided -6AN teflon hose ($5 per foot) for all of the fuel lines to my 430 hp LS3.

The pressure is regulated at 58 psi.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 06-02-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    The red capped line is the return the center tube is the input from the fuel pump and the single threaded fitting is the output.
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    The single line feeds the motor. The larger of the two on the other side is the feed from the pump. The smaller is the return.
    I'll get more pics tonight, but the red capped on is larger and on the edge. The orange capped one is smaller and in the middle. So.... ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, I goofed. The outer tube is the supply and the centered one next to it is the return. Note that it is not recommended for pumps with flow exceeding 255 lph. I have the Tanks Inc. in-tank setup with the 255 lph walbro pump. The hose with the 90 degree fitting is the return.

http://www.tanksinc.com/img/efils9904.jpg

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd425.htm
    Last edited by DaveS53; 06-02-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question on the fuel pressure regulator. I am installing a 2017 crate coyote. My FFR regulator is one of the last things still on POL list. I purchased one of the regulators pictured above and was planning on using it. I have read about the vacuum reference signal and am clear that if I use this one the computer will have to try to correct for a rich condition or high pressure at idle which it seems to able to from what I have read. I might add a supercharger down the road at which point it would not be able to correct for boosted pressure and I would have to change it. Is there anything else to consider about using the preset regulator or am I missing anything? For those of you running the preset one, do you have any issues after tuning?
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't offer anything regarding that fixed regulator. I installed the usual Aeromotive adjustable piece in the engine compartment for #8674. But I can tell you that my tuner (Lund Racing) said I didn't need the vacuum reference signal. Said it wouldn't hurt or help anything either way. I ran logs with and without and wasn't able to detect any difference. I ended up removing it and plugging the inlet. All my final logs and final tune settings were without the vacuum signal. I know of one other very well known tuner that insists its removed for his custom tunes. With or without a custom tune, I don't think it's an issue not to have the vacuum reference signal. Lots of people are successfully using that fixed regular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you edwardb. Again, you amaze me with your research, record keeping and ability to respond timely. It certainly simplifies the fuel system install. Next question is a new post.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you use a 190lph pump with your Coyote http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1105&cat_id=27 you can connect the filter/regulator directly to the fuel pump return port using this fitting: http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1151&cat_id=27

If you already got a 255lph in-tank pump you will need to go around the pump insert with our high-flow fuel return and use the bracket that comes with the filter regulator.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1143&cat_id=27
    This is the Breeze line and fitting kit with Filter/Regulator:
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1185&cat_id=27
    and here is the hose between the pump and regulator:
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1132&cat_id=27
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently installing Mark's system with this filter/regulator. It's no lie to say a big time saver and I'm much more comfortable eliminating the all the plastic, fittings, gauge, and adjustable regulator right behind the engine where it's difficult to spot leaks.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an awesome option.

I was planning the typical hard lines and regulator option for my coyote (my regulator is still on back order w/ FFR since August).

So this mounts next to the tank and the feed/return routes to it and only the feed line is needed to the engine compartment ?

And no vacuum connected needed ?

Is there any downside w/ this option ?

If this is the case that I'm in and am going to switch direction. Got to follow-up on this
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning on this regulator for my upcoming Coyote MK4 build as well. According to EdwardB no vacuum reference is needed, at least not unless you are planning a super-charger, which I am not. I'm going to mount it close to the tank and return from there. I'm debating if I even want to bother with a hard line - I may just run the Aeroquip braided PTFE all the way from the regulator to the fuel rails. I *may* do a stainless hard-line along the PS 4" tube and then connect a short section of PTFE stainless on each end, but only if someone is willing to lend me their flaring and bending tools, or willing to flare the ends for me. Otherwise I really don't see much benefit other than the stainless looks very nice. What is the lifespan of PTFE hose, does anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Reynolds (Breeze) has everything you need. If you haven’t purchased anything yet, he has a complete setup as a kit that includes the regulator, fittings and braided line to the Coyote rail. If, like me, you purchased parts and then researched how to connect them, he has all the fittings and lines needed. He is a wealth of information and a forum sponsor. My kit came with 5/16” hard line to run to the front for fuel supply. Mark convinced me that I should switch to 3/8” whether it is hard or braided for what it’s worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I am already into the process with the pump and sending unit that came w/ my kit (got to save some money somewhere ) and 3/8" hard stainless lines (for the same reasons as shark92651).

I wouldn't mind using some of the hosing that came with the kit as well (from tank to filter, since you don't really see what's above the tank anyway).

I'll have to give Mark a call to figure out what I need to complete.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    does this regulator work with the Gen3 coyote? I believe it's 65PSI (up from 55 PSI)
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    does this regulator work with the Gen3 coyote? I believe it's 65PSI (up from 55 PSI)
    Mmmm better off going with a different setup for a gen 3.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    I probably wouldn't do it. A few PSI higher on the Gen2 is less than a concern than 7 PSI too low, imo.