Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Successful installation of Electric Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like

Successful installation of Electric Power Steering

Also my first post. Hello!

I hadn't seen anyone do this yet, but I did it myself with no issues. Enjoy the vid, don't hate on my welds and pardon me for constantly saying "roll bar" when I just mean a part of the cage :-D
    Last edited by DCFidget; 11-25-2023 at 08:27 AM.

2. Likes AZPete, Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome work. I wonder if the left/right issue is due to the sensor that detects where center is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    Awesome work. I wonder if the left/right issue is due to the sensor that detects where center is.
    Nice work. I would not worry about the left/right difference until you you get your corner balance done and alignment correct.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    From what I gather, the center detection is done via can bus from the Prius steering rack which is not being utilized in failsafe mode, especially since I don't have a Prius rack

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Nice work. I would not worry about the left/right difference until you you get your corner balance done and alignment correct.
    Bob
    It definitely feels like it has something to do with the motor and not the alignment. I think once I'm moving, I won't even notice the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    HA! What timing....

I just got mine hooked up yesterday. I got a whole setup from Brian B. In my case I needed the u-joint adapter to be a bit longer so I got two couplers, cut them in half and spliced the two ends with the larger splines together. Tomorrow I'll be making the support bracket for the Prius unit. Mine has a spot with bushings and a 2" long steel tube insert, so I'll be fabricating a sort of fork to pick that up and anchor it to the frame. I'll try to include some pictures tomorrow.

8. Likes longislandwrx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 67 Car Guy View Post
    HA! What timing....

I just got mine hooked up yesterday. I got a whole setup from Brian B. In my case I needed the u-joint adapter to be a bit longer so I got two couplers, cut them in half and spliced the two ends with the larger splines together. Tomorrow I'll be making the support bracket for the Prius unit. Mine has a spot with bushings and a 2" long steel tube insert, so I'll be fabricating a sort of fork to pick that up and anchor it to the frame. I'll try to include some pictures tomorrow.
    If you watched the vid, I took the adjuster from my WRX column and used it to catch the mount that you are talking about. Just had to cut the WRX piece in half, remove about an inch and weld it back together. I even reused the pin and c-clip that it used in place of the bolt.

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched it again and I see what you did. It looks very clean. I had to rotate mine to get it to clear my Wilwood dual master cylinder setup. So I made a support bar that fit the odd angle and it picks up one of the side rails of the frame. I didn't have to cut my steering shaft because the lengths worked out for me. I just needed to slide the Prius PS unit up about 7/8" past the spline engagement point. That gave me a nice angle for the U-Joint coupler, and it seems to turn nice and smooth.

IMG_1521.jpgIMG_1520.jpgIMG_1515.jpg

I don't think the support has to be overly strong because it's just supplying the torque you would apply manually through the steering wheel. What I did is probably overkill. I like your vertical sliding arrangement because you could tilt the wheel slightly if you wanted to. I'm probably going with a fixed location. The U-Joint coupler is just a mockup. I need to get some longer, hardened bolts and use locknuts to join the two halves.

Haven't tried it electrically yet, hope it works!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 67 Car Guy View Post
    I watched it again and I see what you did. It looks very clean. I had to rotate mine to get it to clear my Wilwood dual master cylinder setup. So I made a support bar that fit the odd angle and it picks up one of the side rails of the frame. I didn't have to cut my steering shaft because the lengths worked out for me. I just needed to slide the Prius PS unit up about 7/8" past the spline engagement point. That gave me a nice angle for the U-Joint coupler, and it seems to turn nice and smooth.

IMG_1521.jpgIMG_1520.jpgIMG_1515.jpg

I don't think the support has to be overly strong because it's just supplying the torque you would apply manually through the steering wheel. What I did is probably overkill. I like your vertical sliding arrangement because you could tilt the wheel slightly if you wanted to. I'm probably going with a fixed location. The U-Joint coupler is just a mockup. I need to get some longer, hardened bolts and use locknuts to join the two halves.

Haven't tried it electrically yet, hope it works!
    Yours looks much more rigid than mine does. I'm going to be adding a stronger support like you did. Considering that it will be supplying the force to turn the wheels, it does indeed need to be strong. The motor is using that point to push opposing force on the steering stem.