Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Some computer help appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some computer help appreciated

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but here goes:

I have an ancient AMD-based PC that originally had XP, then upgraded to Windows 7 Enterprise, which recently began showing a nag screen that it's non-genuine. I want to "go legit" and buy a new Windows 10 desktop and I want to do a transfer of my apps and data because I'm getting old and lazy. Does anyone have experience with Laplink PCmover? Will it work in my unique situation? Is there a better way to do it?
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd just install the apps again on your fresh computer. You probably don't have that many. You shouldn't have a hard-time finding your data - File Open will usually show you where they are. You can always open them then use File Save As to save to a thumb drive or dropbox folder and move data that way.

Laplink may hold your hand and get some useful stuff migrated, but it won't do it all. So you'll still have to know how to do some things yourself. See their "what you should know" section on http://www.laplink.com/product/pcmov...ssional/#tabs2

I'd create an admin account first, leave it empty and pristine for if you ever need admin access. Then create your new user account. Install apps into your account. Copy data over. You may want to think about dropbox - I store all data in dropbox folders and it gets backed up and shared across computers/phones automatically. If you had used dropbox on your old machine, you'd just install on new box and all your data would arrive by magic

Feel free to PM me if needed.. I've been programming computers for 30 years.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the response. I might take you up on that when I get a little closer to making the move.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    As RoadRacer said, it is best to reinstall the apps that you need. You can add your hard drive to your new computer and copy the data over from one drive to the other.
    Sounds like you're in good hands with RoadRacer but I can help you if needed. I've been in IT for over 30 years and have done this many times.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you need another old guy to stare at the computers and look really stupid, I your man!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree to just download the apps again as it's possible the ones you are currently running are not the latest version. As for data, that is easy. Dropbox works or some other cloud solution but I prefer a local harddrive and always backup my Mac's to it. My biggest issue is bandwidth getting data to a cloud solution.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    With over 40 years of computer experience [50 if we count my youth], I do not agree with the direction and advise given. None of the applications that were compatible with XP will work with Windows 10 or IOS. Those written to work with Windows 7 are probably not going to run on the latest version of Windows 10 or will not run well, and you can forget about IOS. I recommend that you copy all of the files that you want to keep onto a memory stick or cloud storage [such as Google Drive]. See what type of files they are and see if you can match them up to Windows 10 applications. You may also need to have someone convert the files over to a newer format.

Another consideration you should think about is if you are more comfortable with the IOS interface or the Windows 10 interface. From experience, I have upgraded my computer too many times and there were not many files that I ended up needing from the old computer. Most people I know outside of IT really like Apples interface and there customer support can not be beat.

Life is too short to waist it behind a computer monitor trying to get old applications to work and cursing because you can not open up an old file. It is far more interesting to learn better and more powerful applications that run faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    Life is too short to waist it behind a computer monitor trying to get old applications to work and cursing because you can not open up an old file. It is far more interesting to learn better and more powerful applications that run faster.
    I'm not a computer guy at all, I'm just an average user. I don't upgrade my computers very often. I'm not a power user, and I don't play computer games. I don't even own a smart phone. When I do upgrade, it's because enough things have quit working well that it's just time to buy a new one and move on. But this sounds like the best advice.

Upgrading is a huge PITA. Software that that you've been using forever no longer works on the new platform. Some does, and some doesn't. You end up buying some new software, and spending hours getting it all integrated and working again. And then your old files can't be read by the new version of the same software, or has to be converted, or just looks goofy when you access it.

My humble, limited, non-computer guy advice is buy a new computer, buy new software, and spend a day or so figuring out how to make it all work. 10 years from now, you can do it all over again. Good luck.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com