BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ontario Safety regs

Post Thanks / Like

Ontario Safety regs

I have not taken my car in for a Safety as of yet, It still seems this ESC is a possible issue.

Any word from anyone yet on the ESC issue? is there a work around?

What would be classified as ESC? could an aftermarket Traction control system of some sort work to meet the ESC rule?

I figured it is something to help stabilize the car if wheel spin is detected?

curious if any of the Factory Five kits have been safetied recently? a few people I have talked to said if you have "friends" that do safeties they can work around this issue, this could be an issue if you sell the car later unless the buyer is aware and he has " Friends"

I would like to see this stay active

Post Thanks / Like
    I was searching on line and found something interesting, I have an email into them to see if we can make this work for our cause. it is a traction control system that has a brake block and motor that applies the brake to the wheel that is spinning helping to regain traction. it is a stand alone system but seems to be rather expensive 3Gs for a system but it sounds like it could help our cars as wheel spin is common on our cars (very easy to spin them) it would give us better performance and it could be considered an ESC?

Thoughts

Post Thanks / Like
    25 looks and no one has anything to say?

I lied its 4G for the system, they told me its a full stand alone. its a hard pill to swallow but it would make the difference between having something unique on the road or the same as everyone else. I choose different, maybe that's why we are all looking at Factory fives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lumpy, this has already been discussed, bud. ESC is not a requirement on a car you build. ESC is required ONLY on new vehicles that are manufactured. Our cars are not manufactured.....they are a single build. Both Transport Canada and the MTO have confirmed this. We even went so far as to schedule a meeting with an MTO officer up here in Sudbury and a bunch of mechanics from various shops because there was a lot of discrepancy around knowledge of the new legislation. Again, it was confirmed that it is not required on a home built vehicle. It is a non issue.
    Ryan Valin
    Valin's Custom Cars, Inc.

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by valin View Post
    Both Transport Canada and the MTO have confirmed this. Again, it was confirmed that it is not required on a home built vehicle. It is a non issue.
    This is great info! I've had a request for clarification with the MTO for about a month and so far, no response. This is what I would have assumed (that it is not applicable to kits), but it's nice to know before the car is built.

Thanks for your efforts. Have you been in touch with Al Beix? westerncanadacobras.com On their homepage, they raise this issue as a potential showstopper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night, I received a call from a vehicle safety engineer at the Ministry of Transport in Ontario in response to this issue. He stated that there will be new legislation coming this fall (Sept-Oct 2017) that will clarify this issue with regards to kit cars. (i.e. ESC not required.)

He was quick to point out that there are many other safety items that are needed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Valin,

I am just now doing the electrical on my MK4 here in Ancaster, Ontario. When you registered yours were you required to have a 3rd brake light and reverse light? I am going to have wipers. Is windshield washer required or a heater/defroster? I have added extra wiring for the lights but will not have the latter. Any other surprises?

Cheers,

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    The new laws do state that we have to pass the safety standards of a Passenger-Light Duty Vehicle, therefore a 3rd brake light is required, white backup lights are required, windshield washer, and a heater/defroster is required to operate on the high setting. Now, that being said, talk to the garage that you are going to have the inspection done at. I bet that most won't require the washer. As far as a 3rd brake light, just install a temporary one on the roll bar. You could do the same with a backup light if you wanted to, then remove it after inspection.

There should be no other surprises. But again, it's always best to talk to a shop before you go in so that there will be none.
    Ryan Valin

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ryan,

Thanks. The lights are easy enough. Like you say mock some up and remove later. The challenge for me is the heater. I have not installed one. I'll have to give it some thought.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    No trouble at all. Installing the heater itself is no big deal. The only difficult part is connecting the hoses to the windshield outlets after the body is on.
    Ryan Valin

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

Post Thanks / Like
    I was also told that you have to have ABS. Is that true?

Post Thanks / Like
    No Sir. ABS is not a requirement.
    Ryan Valin

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going with the Mini Cooper back up light and I'll wire it to reverse - a lesson I learned on my MKII was that not having a reverse light really does suck sometimes - after dark, in the country for example.
    3rd brake light? Hadn't given that much thought though I will be installing those nifty 1157 LED bulbs. Maybe a Harley style 3rd on the license plate light? I was always concerned about the lack of lighting on the rear and if you've driven at night using those old vintage headlights you'll really appreciate how far modern headlights have come.
    I don't know if heat/defrost is mandatory but at night spring and fall the windshield does mist up pretty good.
    I used the vintage cable drive wipers and they work pretty well but honestly rainex is mandatory and above 50 kph with no roof there is as much rain on the inside of the windshield as the outside.

Scott
    Last edited by Scotty's65; 12-07-2017 at 03:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been wandering around the MTO site looking for the Safety requirements for Kit Cars and found nothing about a high mounted third brake light or a reverse light
    Specifically it lists the following requirements:
    Lamps and turn signals
    Brakes
    Mirrors, windshield wipers, odometer, fenders/mudguards
    Tires
    Safety glass
    Muffler and horn
    Reflectors
    Seat belt assemblies
    Brake light

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty's65 View Post
    I've been wandering around the MTO site looking for the Safety requirements for Kit Cars and found nothing about a high mounted third brake light or a reverse light
    Specifically it lists the following requirements:
    Lamps and turn signals
    Brakes
    Mirrors, windshield wipers, odometer, fenders/mudguards
    Tires
    Safety glass
    Muffler and horn
    Reflectors
    Seat belt assemblies
    Brake light
    I have installed wiring for the third brake light and reverse light. This is very easy to do now rather than retrofitting later. If the lights are required I will install temporary lights and then remove them.

Post Thanks / Like
    All;
    I live in Northern Ontario. instead of wasting time searching for what needs to be done. go to the shop that you will have the certification done and let them tell you what it needs. Yes you must have a third brake light. I have fully registered and safety my GTM. I went to my local shop. discussed the car with them and I was allowed to read over the safety forms. very simple. part of the safety you have to drive the car, show that it goes through the gears, and brakes work. Most times everything is checked through quick as all the parts are new, no checking for tire tread, rotor wear or brake shoes. it took an hours time and all done. you must have daytime running lights. simple to do, buy a kit that a wire wraps around one sparkplug wire and it sends reading when engine is running and turns your lights on. manual steering, manual brakes all good. you need wipers.
    Team Bouffard
    GenII #369 - SOLD
    1968 Camaro - work in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be hard wiring the lights on my next build so that like the Harley, if the key is on all the lights are on. I'll definitely be going with LED headlights and tail lights too.
    I'm planning a "street look" car so no roll bars so I'll have to research a third brake light placement, I'm just not sure how high the third light has to be, maybe faired into the body just behind the trunk opening? Ahh the joys of Hot Rodding in The People's Republic of Ontario...lol

Scott
    2014 Mustang GT Track Pack
    F5 MKII (sold)
    MKIV soon
    "When in doubt go to full throttle, it may not solve the problem but it will end the suspense"

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan, do you have a link saying our cars are exempt or contact info for anyone at the mto for me to give the shop I spoke to today about safteying my car? He said he called the mto today and they told him there are no exemptions, every new Car has to have all the electronic nannies.
    Anyone have a good shop closer to me? I’m in Alliston Ontario, Barrie would be the closest bigger centre.
    Thanks