BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Warning for 33 Hot Rod RHD conversion customers

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Warning for 33 Hot Rod RHD conversion customers

FFR now offers RHD conversions of their kits (not sure how long they been doing this).

I have learned the hard way FFR charges a flat rate - $2000 - for all Right hand drive conversion regardless of what is involved.

In the case of the roadster, the frame has to be mirrored, aluminium panels bent the other way etc etc, probably justifying the $2000 charge.

In the case of the 33 Hot Rod, the pedal box and lower steering mounts are not welded on. Thats it. Pic below:

20170522_204731-small.jpg

The pedal box still needs modifications to work for RHD, and you have to sort your own steering rack.

They send the LHD steering rack so you have "something to measure against". (I did ask why not just send the measurements...)

Aluminium panels and chassis are otherwise all same as LHD.

I have no problem with charging for the time and effort to make changes to the kit, just can't see how $2000 to not weld on some bits can be justified.

RHD customers be warned.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you scroll through the "Ask a Factory Five Tech" Forum to page 23 you will find a request for the dimensions you are looking for that I posted 5 years ago on the 4th July 2012. You will also see that it was never answered. They never came through on their emailed promises either. I just got used to it.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lack of transparency on dimensions is very frustrating. There seems to be a perception in industry that there is liability and proprietary information on drawings and manuals. I respect truly proprietary information, however, this is a builders "kit". You don't ask a contractor to build your house without dimensioned plans. Why do we have to run blind. If someone is intent on making aftermarket pieces for these cars it's up to them to meet FFR legal obligations, not hold information from the customer. I have just had similar conversations with SCAT and one other custom house. The legal environment is really an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah its driving me nuts a bit. Just have to figure it out for myself.

I figured out Flaming River makes the steering rack (FFR would not tell me) and they are selling me a pillow block mount style rack I can mount anyway I want. Too late I thought I should have just cut the mounts off the LHD rack and made my own pillow block mount...

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, FFR did end up refunding me $1000 of that $2000 RHD charge, agreeing it was a bit steep. $1000 is still excessive to not weld some bits on, but I can't see the point arguing it further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bogandoc View Post
    Yeah its driving me nuts a bit. Just have to figure it out for myself.

I figured out Flaming River makes the steering rack (FFR would not tell me) and they are selling me a pillow block mount style rack I can mount anyway I want. Too late I thought I should have just cut the mounts off the LHD rack and made my own pillow block mount...
    Going to answer my own post with a, Yes that is a great idea if you want your car to steer the opposite direction...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bogandoc View Post
    Going to answer my own post with a, Yes that is a great idea if you want your car to steer the opposite direction...
    Hi guys,

Two years has past for this post...

I live in Thailand, has anyone finished a 33 RHD car yet? I search the posts and don't see any pics or dimensions, bracket drawings...Etc..

I don't think it'll be much of a problem cutting off all the RHD pedal brackets and steering brackets, then fab up some new ones, but it would be nice to see pics of what others have done?

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Scott, FFR definitely offer a 'more complete' RHD conversion now. After expecting the LHD pedal box to be delivered un-welded, I initially received no pedal box. I was then told I'd have to wait weeks while a pedal box was fabricated and sent over (i'm in Australia). After waiting weeks, I was then told R&D were working on a RHD pedal box and it would be another 3 weeks. 2 1/2 months later I finally received a RHD pedal box. To FFR's credit, they also provided a RHD rack which had only been used for the design of the RHD system.
    I'm using the electra steer unit but unfortunately the mount FFR provided was in no way going to work.....so I had to fab a new bracket for it.
    In addition, my engineer requested a collapsible steering column. It's now been almost 12 months since delivery and I've only just had the chassis powder coated.

Brad

20190927_170504.jpg
    Last edited by MonstaS4; 10-29-2019 at 06:04 AM.