Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: exhaust brackets

Post Thanks / Like

exhaust brackets

Hi
    I know there is debate over whether or not to install the exhaust side brackets. I decided to put them on mainly as somewhere to hook the bungees for my tonneau!
    Anyways, on the passenger side I the bracket touches the underside of the body/chassis, and even then the bolt holes on the exhaust don't line up. Not sure what's going on. The exhaust can only go in one position, and it is actually looking nice and parallel to road and body, so I don't want to change that.
    Does anyone have any tips or pics of the finished installation?

Thanks
    Ian
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Without the brackets, there's a hell of a cantilever hanging on either side of your car. I would put them on as per design.

There should be a fair amount of latitude as to where the side pipes sit. If you use undersized bolts in the header to side pipe flange, the exhaust end of the sidepipe can be moved up or down a considerable amount. I wouldn't imagine you need to adjust the sidepipe much to get the bracket away from the body/frame.

As an aside....the bungee cord on the snappless tonneau cover clips into the exhaust opening of the sidepipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue with the bracket making contact with the body on one side also. The way I got around was to order Gas-n sidepipes. Their brackets have more adjustability than FFR's. Not cheap but it worked. Now I have FFR stainless sidepipes for sale.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.

Dave thanks for that. I haven't tried my snapless cover yet.

I didn't want to change the angle of the exhausts to make the brackets fit, so in the end I cut them and changed the angle, and welded back together. I'd still like to see installed photos as I can't see anything in the build manual. I have used one rubber hanger on the end hole, but nothing on the hold closest to the exhaust. Not sure what the correct installation should look like.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem - with the sidepipes bolted to the headers and everything horizontal and parallel, the brackets wouldn't attach to the sidepipes due to hitting the rockers and floorpan.
    I considered making new brackets or cutting and welding the brackets.

In the end I took each bracket, put in a pair of 5/16" bolts/washers/nuts, and clamped the bolts in a solid vise - then "persuaded" the brackets into fitting. Took about an inch of persuasion - the hammer-scarred area is under the rocker panel, so there's no visible evidence of the act.

Post Thanks / Like
    You definitely want some clearance between the brackets and the underside of the body and/or chassis. You need some room for the side-pipe's to move up and down from engine torque. Otherwise it can lead to other issues, including cracking in the side-pipe at the welded mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some previous discussions on this topic. Interesting to see the various adaptions, and opinions on the side hangers.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-they-worth-it

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-modified.html

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ople-done.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill. I have done what Gumball did in his pic. The only difference was I had to cut a part out and re-weld it to change the angle, but essentially the same.