FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  41
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fidget Build - Tim - Frisco Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a great weekend and got some things completed.

First as I posted above I figured out the connecting rod issue. After that was done I was able to get the heads on.

So on Saturday I was able to get the new Oil pump and windage tray all bolted on and flipped the motor over.

Got the Rear main seal bolted on as well too.

I then dropped in the lifters... I decided to do a clean up on all the rockers and nuts and that took a while but it was worth it. I got the push rods set to zero lash and a half turn.

As for the intake problem I reported last week. If you take a look at the picture below you can see where the aluminum of the intake come out from the edge of the runners. I tool a flat file to that area and just had to trim off a little bit at all four edges. Once I did that the intake dropped right into place. I added a bead of gasket maker to the top of the block and bolted the intake into place.

After that it was coating the timing chain with some oil and bolting the timing chain cover on. Right before I did that I noticed that I still had the old seal in the cover and don't have a replacement for it in all the boxes of gaskets and stuff that I have. So I knocked it out and bolted on the cover.

On the way home tonight I will pick up a new seal for it and tonight should be able to get the seal and harmonic balancer on. Then I will bolt on the oil pan and the flywheel and will be done with the motor until after it gets put into the frame. All I need to get it into the frame is to get the transmission mounted, the torque converter bolted up and everything on the lift. I hope to have the engine in before this weekend.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Tim. That engine is looking awesome!!! I can't wait to hear it run. Be sure to post a video of the first start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    Great job Tim. That engine is looking awesome!!! I can't wait to hear it run. Be sure to post a video of the first start.
    Yes first start will have a video to go with it. It's be a few weeks before I get to the first start though. I have started the wiring but will have to complete some of it before I even think about starting it. I also don't have any gauges yet since they all come with stage 2.

Yesterday I did get the seal and the flywheel bolts on the way home so buttoned up the motor last night. Got everything done and it is on the stand ready to be dropped into the frame.

Yesterday I ordered tall chrome valve covers and a gallon of the Lizard Skin Ceramic Heat shielding from Jegs and
    they are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. The chrome thermostat housing should be delivered today before I get home from work. On another good note... The wife and I talked this weekend and it looks like we will be ordering stage 2 in either Jan Or Feb. It all depends on how far along I get with everything else to be ready for it.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    On another good note... The wife and I talked this weekend and it looks like we will be ordering stage 2 in either Jan Or Feb. It all depends on how far along I get with everything else to be ready for it.
    congrats! my conversations about that have been.. er.. let's say, "inconclusive" Not much left to put together from stage 1..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, so I am going to shut up and post about 7,000 words.

The new tall chrome valve covers are currently on the FexEx truck and out for delivery. So tonight I may be able to at least set them on the motor to see what they look like. I also got the new distributor and thermostat housing yesterday but I may be waiting to stab the distributor until I am closer to starting it.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Tim for the heads up on the thermostat housing. I have one on the way. Are you having any issues with UPS? My fuel tank from Boyd's shipped on 11/27 and arrived in Houston on 11/28 and sat in their depot until 12/4. Then two more days in Beaumont. I have my fingers crossed that it will arrive today. This seems a little excessive even for the holiday season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. I forgot. I'm not sure if it's me, but I can't see any of your pictures on the current page of you thread. Previous pages are fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Tim for the heads up on the thermostat housing. I have one on the way. Are you having any issues with UPS? My fuel tank from Boyd's shipped on 11/27 and arrived in Houston on 11/28 and sat in their depot until 12/4. Then two more days in Beaumont. I have my fingers crossed that it will arrive today. This seems a little excessive even for the holiday season.
    I have actually been impressed with FexEx and UPS recently. All of the stuff I have ordered has gotten here much quicker than I expected. My valve covers got here in two days from Ohio and the Summit stuff got here in one day.

Oh. I forgot. I'm not sure if it's me, but I can't see any of your pictures on the current page of you thread. Previous pages are fine.
    I will have to let someone else post if they can't see them. I have been doing the same thing to put the pictures on here as usual. They are all hosted at the site in my signature and nothing has changed there recently. Check out my build site and let me know if you can't see the pictures there.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pics are looking good!! Different browsers and being signed in or not affect viewing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear the photos are working for most... Here are some more.

The Tall chrome valve covers were delivered the other day. When I went to put them on to see how they looked I found that there was some flash material at the mold lines of the bolt holes. The first one worked fine but out of 8 bolt holes 7 of them had extra metal that had to be knocked out. The first one that I thought was fine had the metal as well and fortunately when I removed the valve cover to fix the other three I saw the metal that had dropped into my head.

This is what I found in the head.

I got that resolved and the valve covers on and took a few pictures... I like how they are going to look on the motor.

After this is when I found the next fun issue to resolve. The 700r4 transmission that I am using came from the same 1989 Corvette that the motor came from. Turns out that GM uses a different tail housing and a different trans mount. Not only is it shorter, it expects a solid mounting point. So now I am going to have to find a piece of metal to weld into the frame to allow the transmission to be bolted in. (The FFR bracket is just there to hold the transmission tail up... It will not stay there.)

The drive shaft will not be standard either since it has the shorter tail housing. I measured from the end of the housing (not the output shaft) to the flange on the differential and found it is just a bit over 39 inches. So now I need to measure the drive shaft on the Vette and see if I can use it to be cut down to size.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see the pictures on explorer but not on Chrome on your web page I can see them on both browsers so its definitely a problem with my laptop. The engine looks amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine looks amazing!
    So I have to agree with you on this... :-) I smile every time I walk through the garage and see the motor sitting there in the frame.

So my work time on the Hot Rod had been put on hold a few more days. I have been doing some wood turning for Christmas presents and I was also way behind on the maintenance of my big fish tank. With the holidays right around the corner I will probably not get back to my build for another week or so.

(Oh Yeah, I also had an issue where work blocked this forum. So I missed a couple weeks of getting to check it out during the day. But after installing Opera and turning on the free VPN I am back!.)
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like

New tools for Tim!

So everyone in the family decided to give me money for Christmas instead of trying to figure out what I wanted.

So I used the first of it to get a new tool. So there you have it… My first welder! I picked up a MIG\Wire welder at the Chinese Slave labor Tool Company (Harbor Freight). It’s a 170 Amp unit and requires a 240 volt outlet. I am going to pick up the required items to wire my garage for 240 volts. I think I am going to put two outlets in the garage. One for the welder and the other for maybe a bigger air compressor.

My son, Erick, bought me the welding helmet. It is a solar powered auto darkening helmet that has some really good reviews on Amazon. The only dings it got in the reviews is the knob on the side for keeping the helmet in place when up. I put it on and acted like Darth Vader for a few minutes and did not notice any issues with it up or down.

While I was at my parents place up in OKC for Christmas I went into the shop and not only found some scrap metal that I will be using for my transmission mount, I also picked up some scrap to practice my welding skills.

I also had to order some new tools last night. One is a vice for my bench top. I have really needed a big vice for a while and finally broke down and ordered one. Thank God for Summit Racing having free shipping on them… I also ordered a new cutting tool for cutting braided lines and a tool to put into the vice for putting the ends on the braided lines. So JOP33 when it comes time for you to build some AN -6 braided lines give me a yell.

As for work on the car... I did use the grinder to clear the mounts on the rear end for the shocks and got them back on the car. Nothing major since the holidays took so much of my time. I should be able to get back to doing more this weekend.

Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    New tools are always fun!! Surprised you didn't get the vice cheap at HF.. I got a nice large one there and bolted to my bench and it works fine.

BTW, this is supposed to be a no-weld project
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    New tools are always fun!! Surprised you didn't get the vice cheap at HF.. I got a nice large one there and bolted to my bench and it works fine.
    Well, I read the reviews and honestly in this case HF was not the cheapest for a big vice. I went with a 6" vice that is heavy duty and has some pipe jaws under the head. There are somethings that I don't mind going cheap on but I want a vice that will last and not break when beat on.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    BTW, this is supposed to be a no-weld project
    Yeah if I went the stock way and bought a new transmission with the correct mounts. My transmission not only is shorter than the other 700R4s out there it has a totally different mounting method. Anyway, I have always wanted to learn to weld and when I saw this one on sale for $159.xx it was hard to pass up. It has some really good reviews and should be great for learning with.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice.
    Eastfield College has a Saturday continuing education welding class that is worth checking into.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    So I used the first of it to get a new tool. So there you have it… My first welder! I picked up a MIG\Wire welder at the Chinese Slave labor Tool Company (Harbor Freight). It’s a 170 Amp unit and requires a 240 volt outlet. I am going to pick up the required items to wire my garage for 240 volts. I think I am going to put two outlets in the garage. One for the welder and the other for maybe a bigger air compressor.
    I had a 30 A 240 V outlet in the garage that was intended for an electric dryer. I was able to get the correct mating plugs and 10 AWG flexible armored cable at HD / Lowes and just made up a giant "extension cord" so I could move the welder anywhere in the garage. New outlets are good, but this was a whole lot less expensive...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Nice.
    Eastfield College has a Saturday continuing education welding class that is worth checking into.
    I may have to look into that. I may also check Collin College since they are so close.

Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    I had a 30 A 240 V outlet in the garage that was intended for an electric dryer. I was able to get the correct mating plugs and 10 AWG flexible armored cable at HD / Lowes and just made up a giant "extension cord" so I could move the welder anywhere in the garage. New outlets are good, but this was a whole lot less expensive...
    I was starting to do my wiring and have ran into the issue of only having a 6' cord on the welder. So really no place that I can put an outlet and run the welder in the middle of the garage. So I wired up the outlet in the lose box and was putting the wires directly to the breaker. I wild my wife that for now I was just going to run it like an extension cord and when not in use I was going to pull the breaker. I may do this for a little while until I find that I am using my welder enough to require a full time outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Looking great
    Thanks! Yours is too... Can't wait to see yours once it comes out of the paint booth.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I got the correct tools I put the ends on some braided lines and made some transmission lines and a fuel line. Here is how the transmission lines turned out.

I think they turned out well.

---

I am also posting a picture of the best tool I have in the garage right now.

With it being 26 degrees while I was out working in the garage yesterday this was wonderful. I have had it for several years and it has never failed me. (Unless it runs out of propane when you are trying to sleep in the back of a U-haul in the middle of the Black Rock desert and it's 20 degrees....)

Yesterday I was doing some grinding on a transmission mount plate and it was hot enough that I kept moving it further back. I also tried to pull my coat off but the flying metal from the grinder kept landing on my arms so I had to put it back on.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I started to work on the transmission mount over the weekend. I got the plate cut and shaped from 1/4" plate steel and ground off the paint where it needs to go. I grabbed my c-clamps and now have it in place.

Now I just need to find someone that can weld the plate in for me. I have a welder now but I don't want to mess up the transmission mount by learning how to weld on the car.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, it's been a rough couple weeks around here. My dad ended up in the hospital from a fall and had a stroke while in the Hospital. I was up there for a week as we thought we were going to lose him. Then he started to get a bit better and has been moved home with Hospice care. I came home and ended up getting the flu (Inf-A) which took me out of service for almost two weeks.

Then last week I went to update my build site and found that GoDaddy had decided to migrate my web site to a new set of servers. They blew up my site big time. Almost all my files were gone and half the tables out of my database were gone as well. I got them to restore my files and then started rebuilding my data base. When I got on the site today they were just not working. Turns out they screwed up the DNS change as well. So I got that fixed and while *****ing at them about migrating without user notification I decided to really bug them. I started giving them crap about my data base and how much time I was spending to fix it. They ended up finding a good backup of my data base from a couple weeks ago and restored it for me.

So now things are slowly getting back to normal. I did work on the car last night but after 30 minutes I was so worn out I had to call it quits and come in. Here is my latest update.

I was searching on the web for a good price on rear brakes and came across a deal I could not pass up. I was originally thinking about going with O’reilly’s Auto because they had calipers for about $62.00 each. But there was a $50.00 core charge with each one and I don’t have anything to give them as a core. So that would come to $224.00 for the pair and I would still have to buy the rotor and the pads.

What I found instead was a kit from Power Stop on the Summit Racing web site. This one included the calipers, brackets, rotors and the pads. Everything but the bolts and I had them from where I bought the rear end. They were priced at $237.00 so it was already cheaper that going the Oreilly route.

The calipers and brackets are powder coated red and look great. They also came with the crush washers, bleeder valves and an additional set of boots.

I did a quick Google on the part number and found that Rock Auto had them even cheaper. I chatted with a CSR at summit and they matched their price plus their shipping cost. So I ended up getting the brakes for both sides of the Hot Rod for $208.88.

And don’t lecture me on how I should buy local. I live in the North Dallas area and Summit Racing is a local. :-) It's only about a 25 minute drive from where I work.

Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! I bought the exact same thing from summit, rotors and pads set but without the calipers. Just wire brushed my donor ones clean.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    The brakes look awesome Tim. I hate to hear about your Dad, and that you had the Flu. I've only had the Flu once. It was bad enough that I don't ever want it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    The brakes look awesome Tim. I hate to hear about your Dad, and that you had the Flu. I've only had the Flu once. It was bad enough that I don't ever want it again.

My dad has been fighting prostate cancer for about 10 years now, but three years ago it went stage four and spread all over. Then they found a different cancer in his lymph nodes around the neck. So they went the chemo and radiation route. Since they knew that doing the radiation around his neck would keep him from eating they went in and put a tube into his stomach. It was during that surgery that my dad had his first two small strokes. Then about a year later he had another small one, and then fell and broke his hip. He was recovering well from that surgery and last month fell and hurt his leg. He was taken to have a CT scan and was able to use his legs and arms to get over onto the gurney. When he got back it was discovered that he had a big stroke while getting the scan. Oh yeah and while all that was going on my Mom was in a freak accident and was ran over by her golf cart. That broke her arm and kept her from being able to take care of dad like she was. Needless to say, we were happy to see 2017 go away.

My biggest rush on the Hot Rod was to have it built so I can take my dad for a ride. He is the one that got me into cars as a kid and he has been watching the build via my web site and photos the entire time. I am not sure I will be able to get it going fast enough now.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night I pulled out the welder and gave welding a shot. It's not a great looking weld but it is holding and should work great. After letting it cool and wire brushing it I gave it a few good whacks with a hammer. It is a solid weld and I can't hear any changes in the sound of the mount while going around the edge with the hammer.

I also filled the hole that was in the metal but that was really just because I was there with the welder and could do it. I figured it would look better.

So now I have put the transmission back into place to make sure everything is going to fit correctly and also so I can mark where the bolt holes need to go. Once marked the transmission will come out again so I can drill the holes and then wire wheel the mounting plate and get it covered in some primer and paint.

Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    On Sunday I started feeling well enough to get back to work on the Hot Rod. I marked where the bolts needed to be and moved the transmission over and drilled them out. I got them wrong the first time and had to open up the bolt holes to get them right. Finally got them in and it looks centered but I still need to pull out the laser and do a final check on it. If I do have to adjust it, there should not be much of a change. So I went ahead and painted the transmission mount to keep the rust off of it.

Once I got that in place I put the floor pans back on the frame and finished drilling all the holes. I still have about six left to drill. Four of them are right by the end of the transmission. I did not drill them so I would not get metal shavings in the wet paint. The other holes are up in the front and currently the AC unit is in the way of getting the holes drilled.

Next I am going to start working on getting the motor ready to start. I need to add the parts to the front of the motor and then digging more into the wiring.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    While you have the welder warm consider this. I lost track of which seats you are using, but something I wished I did was take about an inch out of the top of those 2 tunnel brackets and narrow the tunnel between the seats. It requires slicing the aluminum and the back of the fiberglass, but you gain seat width and some travel if you use a slider. I did put 1/8" aluminum plate inside those brackets just to make me think the U-joint grenade would slow down. but mine is back further than yours also. Its just your knees after all. Some guys are reinforcing the tunnel area more. .090" steel works also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    While you have the welder warm consider this. I lost track of which seats you are using, but something I wished I did was take about an inch out of the top of those 2 tunnel brackets and narrow the tunnel between the seats. It requires slicing the aluminum and the back of the fiberglass, but you gain seat width and some travel if you use a slider. I did put 1/8" aluminum plate inside those brackets just to make me think the U-joint grenade would slow down. but mine is back further than yours also. Its just your knees after all. Some guys are reinforcing the tunnel area more. .090" steel works also.

So if I cut the top of the bracket (I only have one there.... Where is the second one you mention?) would it really help with the seat since the bottom of the bracket would still be in the same spot. I guess it would help up higher where the cushion is wider but not sure about the bottom of it.

I was thinking about adding some metal sheets on the inside of the drive shaft tunnel. I could do that with out welding though by bolting them to the afore mentioned bracket and the bracket under the battery area.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Second bracket is under the aluminum in the back of the cab. That would be a great solution. If you want to stop by and look closely at the fitment issues with the brackets as you are showing you can clearly see his excellent idea. It is only about 1-2 inches of the tunnel height that creates the bind with the seat wings.

Glass-55.jpgGlass-59.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that, gives a bit more room for the seat backs.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Second bracket is under the aluminum in the back of the cab. That would be a great solution. If you want to stop by and look closely at the fitment issues with the brackets as you are showing you can clearly see his excellent idea. It is only about 1-2 inches of the tunnel height that creates the bind with the seat wings.

Glass-55.jpgGlass-59.jpg
    This has to be tailored to the seat style you plan to use, leg length, etc. I would narrow it towards the shifter more if there is room. I also like the idea of putting the E-Brake up on the tunnel, but that takes more fab time. Bolting the shields inside the brackets is what I did so I can remove them as needed. Don't go too far behind the rear bracket or you will struggle with drive shaft installation. Many options, much Fun to be had...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    This has to be tailored to the seat style you plan to use, leg length, etc. I would narrow it towards the shifter more if there is room. I also like the idea of putting the E-Brake up on the tunnel, but that takes more fab time. Bolting the shields inside the brackets is what I did so I can remove them as needed. Don't go too far behind the rear bracket or you will struggle with drive shaft installation. Many options, much Fun to be had...
    In the fitment shown I used the stock brackets at the stock height with the standard short seats sent with the kit. The intent was to show where the wings hit and therefore approximate about how far the contact with the seat was. One of my constraints was the console I bought that was fitted to the front loop

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had someone on the forum take that all out and just put a metal tube in its place. Others have made safety hoops. Keep in mind the IRS rear needs different allowances to get the driveshaft in and out. My tranny sits back further than some so I was limited on how narrow I could go. Wider Kirkey seats don't fit without narrowing that area. Putting the E-brake on top means leaving it high and toward the passenger side unless you go with a different E-brake design than FFR's. If FFR still has the "Big n Tall" seats that another factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you started on the A/C yet Tim?
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you started on the A/C yet Tim?

Besides mounting the evaporator on the frame I have done nothing else. But I have not been working on the car much the last two or three weeks while trying to get rid of the Flu.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides mounting the evaporator on the frame I have done nothing else. But I have not been working on the car much the last two or three weeks while trying to get rid of the Flu.
    Man. I hate to hear that you've been sick. The flu is not something to take lightly. Get well soon. I have been trying to decide how high vertically to mount the evaporator/blower assembly. Any pictures would really help.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man. I hate to hear that you've been sick. The flu is not something to take lightly. Get well soon. I have been trying to decide how high vertically to mount the evaporator/blower assembly. Any pictures would really help.
    Well I thought I was over with it a week or so again and ended up back in bed for two or three days last week. This flu really sucks this year.

So I bought my AC unit from he who shall not be named (Hwsnbn), and it is from Classic Auto Air. Hwsnbn did some work and configuration on the unit before it was sent to me. One thing that he did was to mount a sheet of aluminum on the back of the unit with some holes pre-drilled on it. I could not get the holes to line up correctly so I drilled a couple of my own. The aluminum sheet still sits on the frame rail and then I have it riveted to the frame.

Here is a photo of the sheet on the frame.

Here it is mounted

Last edited by TDSapp; 02-13-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    So as you can see below I have the engine and transmission in and it appears to be lined up right where it needs to be.

I have also found some spark plug wire looms that I like and that fit a center bolt valve cover. I installed them on Sunday, stabbed the distributor and started cutting and routing the spark plug wires to length

I finished putting the ends on the plug wires and then put the pulley on the harmonic balancer and the water pump. I then started digging through all the parts I pulled off the motor before it was rebuilt. I was looking for the brackets for the alternator but I could not find them. I stated looking at the photos I took during the tear down and discovered that the alternator does not have any brackets and uses the bracket from the power steering pump, which is not being used, and the air pump. Which is also not being used. sigh....

I am going to pull the power steering pump from the bracket and see if I can cut it down. I think i will be able to cut it down to only what the alternator needs for mounting and polish it up as well. After that I have to figure out what I can use for the upper bracket. I think it is going to be a pain in the butt to get working.

Now the bracket for the AC compressor is going to be quite the job. It's big and UGLY. Currently I don't even know if the smaller Sanden compressor will bolt up to it at all.

Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast