Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: centerline of car & drive shaft

Post Thanks / Like

centerline of car & drive shaft

I have been making some good progress on the car these last few months and have the engine running (coyote with tko600), most of the wiring done and floor pans in, so im trying to get prepped to be able to mount body and move onto the next stage.
    Like most of you i am trying to gain as much room inside the cockpit mainly to fit my braum racing seats which are slightly wider than the stock hotrod seats.
    I cut out the driveshaft hoop and making my own to gain a little there and i plan on skinnying up the alum tunnel a bit.
    With that being said I double checked my center lines of tranny, drive shaft and rear end. I adjusted the panhard bar to center the differential (moser 8.8) and wheels to the chassis. I tried my best to centerline the tranny mount and came to within 1/16" which i guess is ok. But when i measure where the driveshaft sits by the rear cockpit aluminum (by the waterfall) it is 3/8" off towards the passenger side. For the life of me I cannot understand how this is possible.
    Shouldn't the D.S. be centered? I know the chasis is hand built and could be off a bit but I'm sure it's not off 3/8"
    Or is the output shaft of the rear end not centered?
    Thanks as always for the advice!
    Dan

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pinion on a Ford 8.8 is offset to the right 9/16".
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build