BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  57
Likes Likes:  219
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #998 Build Page

Post Thanks / Like

#998 Build Page

I have been posting mostly on the other forum, but decided to start a page here also. This is my first build since a 1957 Bel Air Two Door Hardtop in high school. Warning!! I spend most of my nonworking time in the garage and not at the computer, (I stare at a computer screen 10 hours a day) so my posts are irregular at best. #998 stage one was started on May 1st. after the inventory was completed and will be an old school hot rod with a hard top, no side panels, and no hood. It will be LS3 powered, with an auto trans, and 3.73 gear. Here is where I am so far:

Powder Coating: complete
    Rear suspension: complete (QA1's and adjustable 4 link)
    Front suspension: complete (QA1's & Delrin bushings)
    Front Brakes: complete (13' Wilwood's)
    Firewall & foot boxes: Fit but not mounted
    Rack & Tie Rods: complete
    Pedal Box & Master cylinders: mounted
    Steering column: mounted
    IMG_0698.JPGIMG_0697.JPGIMG_0691.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Have any of you guys doing LS3 builds used the FF power steering kit? Problems? Alternate suggestions?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently building a 33 with the LS3. I will let you know about the electric P/S when I get there. I have been told by others you just need to reclock it some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I am currently building a 33 with the LS3. I will let you know about the electric P/S when I get there. I have been told by others you just need to reclock it some.
    Thanks Wallace. I originally planned on manual steering but it looks like shoulder surgery may be in my future.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of questions (probably rookie) that just scream for answers. I have looked through manual several times.

1. What are the torque specs. for the rack mount.
    2. What are the torque specs. for the tie rod ends where they attach to the spindles.
    3. I wonder why FF didn't put the rack mount on the list of parts that need powder coating.
    4. I received 4 extra bolts and nuts with the steering column mounting hardware. They are 5/16" x 20 x 1 1/2" button head with lock nuts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    I have a couple of questions (probably rookie) that just scream for answers. I have looked through manual several times.

1. What are the torque specs. for the rack mount.
    2. What are the torque specs. for the tie rod ends where they attach to the spindles.
    3. I wonder why FF didn't put the rack mount on the list of parts that need powder coating.
    4. I received 4 extra bolts and nuts with the steering column mounting hardware. They are 5/16" x 20 x 1 1/2" button head with lock nuts.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Well..... Number 4 really was a stupid question. I was sitting at my work bench last night taking a picture of the "extra bolts" when I looked over at the steering shaft bearings, and the light bulb came on.

Post Thanks / Like
    HVACMan,

Check out the table on Appendix J around page 710 of the manual. If not stated in the directions they have a table that has the torque values based off the bolt sizes.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    HVACMan,

Check out the table on Appendix J around page 710 of the manual. If not stated in the directions they have a table that has the torque values based off the bolt sizes.

Tim
    Thanks Tim, I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is anyone polishing the firewall and foot boxes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I'll spend the evening making hurricane preparations. I checked the generator, chainsaw, and filled the vehicles and gas cans last night. Tonight I'll get everything in the garage up as high as possible, make a trip to the grocery store, fill water cans, then work on the car some. I just hope this thing doesn't skip up the coast like they are predicting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I'll spend the evening making hurricane preparations. I checked the generator, chainsaw, and filled the vehicles and gas cans last night. Tonight I'll get everything in the garage up as high as possible, make a trip to the grocery store, fill water cans, then work on the car some. I just hope this thing doesn't skip up the coast like they are predicting.
    25+ inches of rain so far with no relief in site until maybe Thursday. The garage is high and dry so far but it's been close a few times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm 85 miles north of Houston and its been raining nonstop since Saturday, rain gauge says 22 inches so far. I'm also high and dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeman View Post
    I'm 85 miles north of Houston and its been raining nonstop since Saturday, rain gauge says 22 inches so far. I'm also high and dry.
    I'm glad ya'll are doing well, a lot are not as lucky as we are. We got another five inches since midnight. I hope this will be the last bad day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad ya'll are doing well, a lot are not as lucky as we are. We got another five inches since midnight. I hope this will be the last bad day.
    I'm back. It's been a busy several days. We wound up getting 21.5 inches of rain on the 29th and 44" overall. I had 4" of water in the house and 8" in the garage, but we were SO much more fortunate than most. I hope to get back to the build this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got back on the build this weekend after having 4 cervical fusions at the end of September. I leveled the car and marked all center lines with a laser. I also squared up the 4-link and marked all torqued fasteners. I'm trying to take it slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just putting this out there for any of you guys with current builds that haven't completed the A/C install. As of January 1, 2018 the new EPA regulations will take effect concerning refrigerants. Going forward an EPA certification will be required to purchase ANY refrigerant. I expect all of the "R-134A charging kits, etc." will disappear from the local auto parts stores shelves. If you are planning to do it yourself, you might want to make that purchase between now and the end of the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just putting this out there for any of you guys with current builds that haven't completed the A/C install. As of January 1, 2018 the new EPA regulations will take effect concerning refrigerants. Going forward an EPA certification will be required to purchase ANY refrigerant. I expect all of the "R-134A charging kits, etc." will disappear from the local auto parts stores shelves. If you are planning to do it yourself, you might want to make that purchase between now and the end of the year.
    Thanks for the heads up, I haven't started mine yet so will be going tomorrow to get one.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems only 30lb cylinders are affected not the small cans.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems only 30lb cylinders are affected not the small cans.
    Wallace you are correct. I finally read the entire section 608 and it does exempt the small cans providing they are equipped with self sealing valves. I apologize for the misinformation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally had some time to work on the car over the holidays. I sprayed the firewall with lizard skin and mounted it. I mounted the brake reservoir and started on the steering linkage. I'll have to set the engine and trans in so I can determine where to clock the power steering motor. Next I assembled and mocked up the E- brake system. I also picked up a set of Foose wheels for $100 that were salvaged from an 08 Mustang that was flooded during the Hurricane. i will get some used tires installed to make it a rolling chassis. Also my early Christmas present arrived. IMG_0872.JPGIMG_0873.JPGIMG_0878.JPGIMG_0883.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the early Christmas present!! Did it arrive on the white sled with the funny fender emblem in the pic??

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my fluid reservoirs like yours initially. The outside one will hit the hood. I had to move my clutch one to inside the firewall. Just a heads up while you are in the initial stage here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also my early Christmas present arrived.
    Ha! The wheels/tires I found were my early (perhaps only) Christmas present according to my wife
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my fluid reservoirs like yours initially. The outside one will hit the hood. I had to move my clutch one to inside the firewall. Just a heads up while you are in the initial stage here.
    Thanks for the heads up Wallace but I'm not going to run a hood or side covers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this for sale in front of the local NAPA store on the way home from work yesterday.
    IMG_0879.JPGIMG_0880.JPGIMG_0881.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned last night that anyone who runs brake lines for a living deserves a special place in heaven.

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned last night that anyone who runs brake lines for a living deserves a special place in heaven.
    That made me laugh out loud, until I realized that I'm facing that job next (cue "Jaws" theme song)...
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    I am missing the four brake line mounts and clips that rivet to the frame. Should they be packaged with the tee’s couplings, and other hardware? I don’t even see them on the inventory sheets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the same thing, found them in box 30 with the power windows kit with the e-brake cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa33Build View Post
    I thought the same thing, found them in box 30 with the power windows kit with the e-brake cable.
    Hmmm....... I didn’t order power windows, so I guess I’ll go through everything again. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Over all it was a productive weekend. I was able to run the front brake lines until I figured out that I didn't have the mounting tabs and a few other items. After several hours researching, the parts are on order. Saturday I was able to get the engine and transmission installed. This allowed me to determine the position of the power steering motor. Also I need to determine what to do about the thermostat housing and determine if IMG_0889.JPGIMG_0890.JPGIMG_0891.JPGIMG_0892.JPGthe driveshaft fits.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Boyd's Fuel Tank arrived last night. Their craftsmanship is amazing!!IMG_0904.JPGIMG_0903.JPG

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will be much happier with that tank. Good Choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I woke up to this yesterday morning.IMG_0910.JPG
    It's pretty unusual for the Gulf Coast. Today I was able to get the other two holes drilled for the power steering and get them painted. I also worked on the brake lines but the rest of my brake parts from Jegs, that were supposed to arrive today, are AWOL.
    Other than that it was a fun afternoon in the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked on the car all weekend and didn’t have a list of parts to order on Monday. The correct driveshaft did come today. That was a welcome site and the rest of my brake parts finally showed up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    You will be much happier with that tank. Good Choice.
    What's the advantage of the Boyd's fuel tank over the FF tank?
    Does it hold more fuel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    What's the advantage of the Boyd's fuel tank over the FF tank?
    Does it hold more fuel?
    From what I gather on here and the other forum, the FF tank has quality control issues (leaks) and filling issues. I had it deleted from my kit with the intention of using the Boyd's tank from the start.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the cost difference once you delete the FF tank

Post Thanks / Like
    I would expect that the FFR Tanks be required to have a pressure test done on them prior to being sold to us? I would expect this would be industry standard especially for a fuel cell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    I would expect that the FFR Tanks be required to have a pressure test done on them prior to being sold to us? I would expect this would be industry standard especially for a fuel cell.
    I think you will find that it was the seals around the items being put into the tank that were leaking. I have also head that there are two things you can do to the stock tank to resolve the filling issue. One is to put a 3/8" vent tube from the tanks air pocket to the filler cap and the other it to open up the vent on top of the tank with a small drill bit. After that I hear there are no more filling issues.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast