Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Does anyone know what car the manual steering rack is sources from?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what car the manual steering rack is sources from?

I'm asking because I may want to use a hydraulic power rack on my build. The doner engine front accessory drive has a p/s pump and I would like to use it.

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, thought you were posting in the Roadster forum.
    Last edited by i.e.427; 11-23-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Based on the 1980 Ford Mustang manual rack.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...133288&jsn=684

Just curious why you're asking about a manual rack when you're talking about adding a power rack?
    I asked about the manual rack because that is all that FF offers. If I know what car the manual rack comes from I could get the power rack for the same car. When you say "based on" do you mean that they modify it in some way for the hot rod?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stabe View Post
    I asked about the manual rack because that is all that FF offers. If I know what car the manual rack comes from I could get the power rack for the same car. When you say "based on" do you mean that they modify it in some way for the hot rod?
    Sorry dude, I should have read better. I didn't even look at which forum you were posting in and just followed the lead that Dad set. The 33 uses a unit specifically made for it so I can't be any help. The only PS option that I know of for the 33 and the pickup are the electric assist sold by F5R. Sorry for the redirect, I thought you were posting in the Roadster forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Sorry dude, I should have read better. I didn't even look at which forum you were posting in and just followed the lead that Dad set. The 33 uses a unit specifically made for it so I can't be any help. The only PS option that I know of for the 33 and the pickup are the electric assist sold by F5R. Sorry for the redirect, I thought you were posting in the Roadster forum.
    No problem. If the rack is a special design that may explain why they only offer the electric p/s. When I get my kit I may look for a hydraulic rack that would work. It may be that it is too short.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember being told by FFR that is was a 1980s Dodge Omni
    Mike

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 33/Truck steering rack is a custom made piece, and I have not been able to find a hydraulic rear steer rack near that width to augment it. That is why we use the electric assist or in extreme cases have converted to front steer for track cars using circle track racks you can custom order the width you want.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

9. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    The 33/Truck steering rack is a custom made piece.
    Thanks Jim, that's what I thought I had remembered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity, I googled 1980 dodge Omni steering rack and the image that popped up looks exactly like what is used in the 33 hot rod gen 1 (at least)

Why would the truck use a different tack than the hot rod? Looks like everything up there is the same as the hot rod.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The truck and the Gen II 33s use a quicker ratio rack than the Gen I cars but they will interchange. An Omni rack is not the same width between the inner tie rods (quite a bit wider) and if you could get it mounted up you would have drastic bumpsteer issues. We looked at it as an option for a hydraulic power assist but it was too far off to make work.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

13. Likes AJT '33 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 33/Truck steering rack is a custom made piece, and I have not been able to find a hydraulic rear steer rack near that width to augment it. That is why we use the electric assist or in extreme cases have converted to front steer for track cars using circle track racks you can custom order the width you want.
    Jim,

Do you think you will ever offer a front steer option like the Logano truck?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

I don't think so, the amount of changes needed made it pretty impractical. I am always on the lookout for a rear steer solution that will give guys who autocross or do track days something a little quicker but really that is a pretty small percentage of the trucks and 33s and with the newer quicker racks it isn't as much a hindrance as before.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    The truck and the Gen II 33s use a quicker ratio rack than the Gen I cars but they will interchange. An Omni rack is not the same width between the inner tie rods (quite a bit wider) and if you could get it mounted up you would have drastic bumpsteer issues. We looked at it as an option for a hydraulic power assist but it was too far off to make work.
    Thanks Jim, that's the answer I was looking for. How difficult is the car to steer with the stock manual rack? I would like my wife to be able to drive it but she can't deal with heavy steering. The car will have coyote power and a 6L80 automatic. I sat in the cutaway car at SEMA (that's my picture in your SEMA picture coverage) but I didn't think to turn the wheel and try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim (stable), do you have any particular reason you don’t want to use the electrasteer? Other than because you have the pump?
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    Jim (stable), do you have any particular reason you don’t want to use the electrasteer? Other than because you have the pump?
    I have been going back and forth between using an LS3/6L80 from a late Camaro or a Gen 2 Coyote/6R80 from a Mustang. The LS has a p/s pump and the Coyote doesn't. If I could have found a power rack (sounds like I can't) I would have gone with the LS setup. I would rather not use p/s if the steering effort was not too high for my wife to drive. What's your opinion on the steering effort without p/s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I think the steering effort would be to high for your wife to enjoy driving the car without the electrasteer.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    Jim, I think the steering effort would be to high for your wife to enjoy driving the car without the electrasteer.
    Thanks Bill. I was beginning to think that was the case. Guess I'll be ordering the electrasteer with my kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with bill. Moving wouldn’t be bad but in parking lots and low speeds, it won’t be exactly easy. Would not be as hard as a full weight car, but I know my wife doesn’t like my mk4’s turn effort at a standstill.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

22. Likes Aircontroller liked this post