BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: registration florida

Post Thanks / Like

registration florida

Has anyone had an issue titling an 818 in florida? I am considering a build and would appreciate anyone's experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for your feedback from this old post. My car is finished, My paperwork was approved by the state today, and I get it inspected 3/21.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I get about 2-5 calls or emails a week on how to get a FFR kit titled in FLORIDA. I have built as of today 13 FFR kits and had 10 titled in FL. I will outline the process I have used each time.
    1. Contact your local Regional DIVISION of MOTORIST SERVICES. Mine is region 2 in OCALA, FL. Look online for yours.
    2. Print out these 3-sets of paperwork from FL.
    https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BRE/84490.pdf
    https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BRE/84491.pdf
    https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/82040.pdf
    Fill out all info and check KIT CAR . The year will be 1965 for MK4 and Type65 coupe, 1933 for the 33 and 1935 for the 35 hot rod truck. All others will be year you bought kit from FFR on your MSO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin)
    3. You must have a certified weight slip of finished car
    4. You must have receipts for kit from FFR, engine and transmission purchase. If using donor car you must have title of donor. Document engine and transmission #'s.
    5. 3/4 front and 3/4 rear photo of finished car
    6. copy of drivers license
    7. MSO from FFR
    8. mail all the originals of these to the regional of your area with $40.00. **(Make copies of everything you mail in TO KEEP FOR YOURSELF)
    9. They will either contact you for more info or give you a inspection date to bring car to get title.
    10. Bring check book you will be paying taxes on anything you have not paid tax on during the build.
    11. Bring proof of Insurance if you want tag issued that day.
    12. Always treat DMS people with respect and kindness. It goes a long way vs trying to argue with them.

I am positive there are other folks that have done this differently in FL. I can only tell you how I have done it successfully for 10 kits. Best of luck on your FFR dream car or truck. TW
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-22-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added form

Post Thanks / Like
    I might add, that if you use a donor vehicle that was junked, make sure it was really junked by the yard it went to. Check the state data base for titles etc. and check to see if it was junked in the system. If it does not show as junked in the national data base, your paperwork will not be approved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did u have to mount the “VIN” plaque we get from FF on the frame anywhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kcarlasc View Post
    Did u have to mount the “VIN” plaque we get from FF on the frame anywhere?
    Yes , you have to rivet it, No screws, to some part that is not easy to remove. Firewall, foot box, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do Florida issue a VIN?
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-10-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Do Forida issue a VIN?
    Yes, They have gone back and forth on this. Usually they issue your frame # from FFR as your vin#. But I have had them issue a FL vin# starting with FL######### 2 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    They have told me they will use my F5R frame serial number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you guys put your VIN plaques... I was thinking about putting it on the piece of fender closeout that comes up to the hood near the radiator.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine pop riveted on the left side inner fender well. I have the ones from Formacars. I will let you know what they say when mine is inspected on the 21st.

14. Likes Rob @ Forma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the risk of hijacking this thread, I am in desperate need of help.

I have my MKIII that has been titled and registered in MD for two years. I just moved to Florida and (obviously) want to title/register the car in Florida.

I went to Osceola tax collector this morning and they could not get the job done. She said that she and her supervisor talked to Tallahassee and Maryland and still no answer.

Am I the first person who ever tried to get a FL title with an out of state title? What do I have to do?

I’ve heard it is now ASPT, but that doesn’t seem to describe an FFR; it sounds more like something cobbled together from parts sourced from actual vehicles. Kit car doesn’t fit. There is something called custom but that looks like it no longer exists. Replica seems the best fit. But even that isn’t a perfect fit.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on titling a roadster with an out of stat title. No one from official Florida can. Everyone I talk to has a different answer.
    MKIII - 5778

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t speak to the re-titling, but I have titled 2 FFR roadsters in Florida. 1 in Lakeland and 1 in Molino (near Pensacola). The first in Lakeland was a MKII done several years ago and the second is a MKIV titled last October in Molino. Both were titled as 1965 REPLICAS. Both used the FFR serial number as the vin. Neither office wanted to see the vehicles, wanted no weight slips or inspections. The only thing they wanted was the 82040 form, the MCO and receipt from FFR. And of course a check for the tax on the sale price. If I wanted to register them at the same time I needed to show proof of insurance, and they gave me antique plates.

Bottom line is different offices handle them differently. Being in Kissimmee you are close enough to run over to Lakeland and try to re-title it. There are a lot of FFRs in Polk county and the Lakeland office is usually very good about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by otto halstead View Post
    I can’t speak to the re-titling, but I have titled 2 FFR roadsters in Florida. 1 in Lakeland and 1 in Molino (near Pensacola). The first in Lakeland was a MKII done several years ago and the second is a MKIV titled last October in Molino. Both were titled as 1965 REPLICAS. Both used the FFR serial number as the vin. Neither office wanted to see the vehicles, wanted no weight slips or inspections. The only thing they wanted was the 82040 form, the MCO and receipt from FFR. And of course a check for the tax on the sale price. If I wanted to register them at the same time I needed to show proof of insurance, and they gave me antique plates.

Bottom line is different offices handle them differently. Being in Kissimmee you are close enough to run over to Lakeland and try to re-title it. There are a lot of FFRs in Polk county and the Lakeland office is usually very good about them.
    My understanding is I have to go to an office run by the tax collector in my county. In this case Osceola not Polk.

Also since I have a title, there is no MCO and no receipts.

That said, I’m looking at definitions in Florida statutes, specifically 319.14 (1) (C) that defines replicas and kits among others. What I found is this:
    319.14 (1)(C) 11. “Custom vehicle” means a motor vehicle that:
    a. Is 25 years of age or older and of a model year after 1948 or was manufactured to resemble a vehicle that is 25 years of age or older and of a model year after 1948; and
    b. Has been altered from the manufacturer’s original design or has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials.
    The model year and year of manufacture that the body of a custom vehicle resembles is the model year and year of manufacture listed on the certificate of title, regardless of when the vehicle was actually manufactured.

That sounds like a perfect description of our cars. Why wouldn’t they be custom?

The biggest problem is they can’t seem to be able to decide what the make and model are. They tell me that FFR, Factory Five, and Factory Five Racing are all invalid. It doesn’t help that MD uses FAFI.
    MKIII - 5778

Post Thanks / Like
    You are in an situation quite different than what I went though, getting a VIN, etc for a kit car, or in my case a "car built from parts", which required visitations to the Regional DMV for my county. Yours would for sure be a replica, but since it was already titled in another state, you should just be registering it at your local tax collector office. My car is registered as a 2019 ASPT, using the F5R Number off the ID plate. Maybe a regional dmv would be worth talking to, since they deal with these cars all the time. Good luck!!
    Your regional DMV for Osceola is in Orlando. 4101 Clarion-Ocoee Rd. Suite 160
    Phone 407-445-7400
    Last edited by redbudrr; 07-02-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPM3 View Post
    My understanding is I have to go to an office run by the tax collector in my county. In this case Osceola not Polk.

Also since I have a title, there is no MCO and no receipts.
    I’m not sure about that, I know a few people came from Hillsboro and Pinellas county over to Polk to title theirs. And as you already have a title, they should only want title and registration fees.

My title says 1965 FFR 2DR RD Cobra Replica. The RD is for Roadster.

p.s. are you Tom M on the other forum? I saw your post there.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like my county (Osceola) will only service county residents. Polk will do out of county residents but you have to register for a non-resident time slot. Not an appointment, but just lets you get in line at that time.

I’m going to try Osceola one more time today. I am armed with TL-41 and the mobile number of someone who said she could talk them through it. I think it will be titled with make as ASPT and titled the year it was built. About like it was in MD. At this point I really don’t care how it is titled, just want to get it done.

Yes I am tpm3 on the other forum.
    MKIII - 5778

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went through the process as well. Mine was titled as an ASPT for my 818, however they generated a new FL number for the title and titled it as a 2019. It seems each region does their own thing, I did mine in the Jax region

Post Thanks / Like
    What ASPT

Post Thanks / Like
    Assembled from Parts

24. Thanks Brd.Prey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did they check for a Catalytic converter? I was wondering if they require it in FL.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope.. it’s like a 5 min thing. They just walk around to make sure it road worthy,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Just registered my 818 in Broward. It took me 5 visits to three separate DMV offices while they sorted out what to do and who was going to do it. I had to get a temporary tag to drive the car to get it weighed, and a final visit to pay the taxes and get a tag. The inspection, which I was most worried about, took 5 minutes max. The inspector didn’t really look at anything. No questions about a catalytic converter or air bags both of which appear in the regulation. Wallac18 has the most experience with Florida registration. He was a great deal of help and his links to the needed documents are at the beginning of this thread.

29. Thanks Brd.Prey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Randy,

Just curious what did they title it as? Mine was an ASPT

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Burks View Post
    Just registered my 818 in Broward. It took me 5 visits to three separate DMV offices while they sorted out what to do and who was going to do it. I had to get a temporary tag to drive the car to get it weighed, and a final visit to pay the taxes and get a tag. The inspection, which I was most worried about, took 5 minutes max. The inspector didn’t really look at anything. No questions about a catalytic converter or air bags both of which appear in the regulation. Wallac18 has the most experience with Florida registration. He was a great deal of help and his links to the needed documents are at the beginning of this thread.