BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 818 Donor Car Registration

Post Thanks / Like

818 Donor Car Registration

Good Morning,

I picked up my donor car this weekend. It's a 2004 WRX with $146k miles. It came with an extra EJ20, 5-speed transmission, brand new clutch, fluids, new engine and transmission mounts. Clean car and super excited to start tearing it down.

I do have one questions before I walk down to the DMV this weekend. What is the process for registering the donor car in my name when I'm going to tear it apart? Do you still have to have insurance on the car even though it's going to be taken apart? Do I tell the DMV what I'm doing? Any guidance is appreciated.

If this has been answered elsewhere please attach link.

Thank you!
    SJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Stephen

I just got the DMV to transfer the title to me and paid my taxes on the purchase and left it at that - no need to register it or get plates of course. I will use the title to prove that I am the legal owner of the donor parts when the Maryland State Police do their inspection (they are mainly looking for stolen parts). I get recall notices for the car, but that's the only paperwork I receive for it.

You don't need insurance if you are not driving the car on the road if you are going to have it transported to your house. If you are driving it to your house, then you'd need insurance which you would then cancel.

Cheers and have fun with the tear down!

Dave
    Last edited by Kiwi Dave; 01-06-2020 at 10:14 AM.

3. Likes Stephen115 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What state are you in?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on what state you live in, you need to contact your DMV. In Florida you have to be able to show a clear junked title for the car in your name and receipts for all major parts used. I was not required to have insurance while tearing it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    In most states, you'll need to prove that you paid taxes on the donor parts. This means you will have to either transfer the donor title in your name (and pay taxes then) or submit your donor title as proof of purchase for donor parts and pay taxes when you go to title the 818. I'm in VA and did not need to transfer the donor title in my name, I just submitted it to the DMV with the rest of my paperwork and paid taxes on it when I titled the 818. Insurance and registration for the donor is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oklahoma

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the information. I spoke with my insurance agent and he said I don't have to have insurance on it while I'm taking it apart, but that I would have to have insurance on it to transfer it into my name at the DMV. He's going to look into the law some more and I'll get with the DMV. I will have to take the car up to the DMV to change ownership so will need insurance for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oklahoma is a pretty lax state with these things, I'm sure there is a simple method that does not involve you driving a car you intend to dismantle to the DMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I did my MkIV, I purchased and titled a '91 mustang in my name. I went ahead and registered it with a non-use "black tag" and did not insure it. By the time I got the renewal notice the next year, the car was scrapped and I was told no further action was needed. I retained the VIN plate and scrap receipts along with my donor parts. When I went to register my MkIV I carried my COO from F5, my mustang title, and bills of sale for any other major parts (IRS rear-end, etc.) to the MVD in OKC (No way was I trusting all of that in the mail). They pulled reports on every VIN number I gave them and mailed me back a folder with instructions to take to the tag agent.

HTH
    -Kyle
    Last edited by kgkeys; 01-06-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the info on "black-tagging" from OK.gov:
    https://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/M...Insurance.html

12. Likes Stephen115 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kgkeys View Post
    Here's the info on "black-tagging" from OK.gov:
    https://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/M...Insurance.html
    Thank you Sir! That was a lot of help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Was able to register and black tag the donor car today. Poor lady at the tag agency didn't really understand the "kit car" idea, but she was still able to help me. Thanks to KGKEYS for posting the form above, it was very helpful!

15. Likes kgkeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen115 View Post
    Was able to register and black tag the donor car today. Poor lady at the tag agency didn't really understand the "kit car" idea, but she was still able to help me. Thanks to KGKEYS for posting the form above, it was very helpful!
    You'll find this to be the case at every point during your 818 registration process haha. But typically going through other's experiences, and what limited documentation the states tend to have for their respective kit car titling/registration processes, you can get through it.