Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Push Button Hi/Lo Beams + Flash to Pass

Post Thanks / Like

Push Button Hi/Lo Beams + Flash to Pass

I've been working on a method to use the Russ Thomson button on the turn signal lever to change Hi/Lo Beams on the headlight and provide the Flash to Pass lights as well. The module utilizes a $13 CCA found on Amazon and three 12V relays. The current in the push button is the coil current on one of the relays so the low current requirement for the push button is met. The total cost of the parts is less than $50.

Here are some pictures and schematic. I have more information if you are interested, just PM me and give an email for sending the drawing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks like a nice "alternative" to the [sometimes] temperamental VW wiring diagram floating around this (and the other) forum.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The instructions that come from Russ already have those functions figured out. (For anyone looking at this thread that doesn't know) Latching relay (VW) for Hi/lo and a regular relay for flash to pass.
    I am sure it works fine, but just curious - why the different method?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    The instructions that come from Russ already have those functions figured out. (For anyone looking at this thread that doesn't know) Latching relay (VW) for Hi/lo and a regular relay for flash to pass.
    I am sure it works fine, but just curious - why the different method?
    I wasn't aware of the instruction from Russ. When I purchased my turn signal there weren't any instructions other than the button couldn't handle much current. But if the other method works, might be cheaper than this one.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Doc. A nice alternative to what for many is a difficult wiring task. I had the VW latching relay in my first build. Worked inconsistently at best. Tried several relays with similar results, and they're not particularly cheap. Never did try to wire a flash to pass. I've used an electronic module that used to be available from American Autowire on my last two builds. Makes the wiring really simple and works every time. Including flash to pass. What you have designed is similar. Nice work.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.