BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: License plate mounting

Post Thanks / Like

License plate mounting

I was wondering if there are plans to alter the trunk lid to accept a license plate without having to trim it? I would rather FF change the light mount and move it up a bit than me cut it out to move it a few inches but I will if there are no future plans to change it. Thanks
    FFR5546 morphing into FFR7387

Garage cam: http://mk4-cobrabuild.viewnetcam.com...gle&Language=0

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I remember when I put my plates on the Mk4 for the first time. I was like "what the heck it don't fit". I called Jim over and he smiled and reminded me that he had told me that when we changes the trunk and body over in the Mk4 that the original trunk was made for a narrower british lic plate. I went and took a 2" hole saw and cut a semi-circle out of the bottom. No plans to change it, so trim away.

Dave Smith

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying Dave. I kind of figured but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    FFR5546 morphing into FFR7387

Garage cam: http://mk4-cobrabuild.viewnetcam.com...gle&Language=0

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that at the recent open house and commented on it as well. But I thought you could probably make your own mount and use the license plate bolt lights instead if your really didn't like the notching method. Like these.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I remember when I put my plates on the Mk4 for the first time. I was like "what the heck it don't fit". I called Jim over and he smiled and reminded me that he had told me that when we changes the trunk and body over in the Mk4 that the original trunk was made for a narrower british lic plate. I went and took a 2" hole saw and cut a semi-circle out of the bottom. No plans to change it, so trim away.

Dave Smith
    Ah, but in Virginia that will get you a ticket. It is illegal in this state to modify the license plate in any way and that law IS enforced. I've been stopped and questioned about the front plate on my Miata because it's bent at the bottom due to it being mounted so low.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    so what does an original C-car driver do? I went and looked and its not that far off, but the current bracket would have to change if thats the case.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I could imagine cutting out the bottom of the plate, could cause obstacles for some of the Canadian builders. Several Provinces have laws in regards as to exactly where the insurance stickers must be displayed on a rear plate. I know in BC for example that the sticker is to be applied to the area where you would have to cut the plate out. Not sure if this is an issue for some US States as well or not, or if law enforcement may allow some leeway, due to the nature of our cars? I suppose if you had a PC going exactly by the rule book, one could expect a fine of sorts.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Helicopter Wrench-Bender ChopperJustin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really like the bolt thru light idea Cory just mentioned. you loose some of the vintage, but its functional.
    "Gravity, It's The Law"

Post Thanks / Like
    Copied from the Indiana BMV website
    Indiana law requires that all text, numbers, and stickers on your license plate be fully visible and cannot be obscured by plate frames or covers.
    IC 9-18-2-26
    License plates; display
    Sec. 26. (a) License plates shall be displayed as follows:
    (1) For a motorcycle, trailer, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.
    (2) For a tractor or dump truck, upon the front of the vehicle.
    (3) For every other vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.
    (b) A license plate shall be securely fastened, in a horizontal position, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:
    (1) to prevent the license plate from swinging;
    (2) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate;
    (3) in a place and position that are clearly visible;
    (4) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and
    (5) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or other opaque objects.
    (c) The bureau may adopt rules the bureau considers advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of license plates on vehicles consistent with this chapter.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.210-2005, SEC.22; P.L.42-2007, SEC.18.
    Build Website
    Mk4 7276 Complete Kit; Delivered; June 28, 2010; Roller: November 30, 2010
    First Start: December 11, 2010; First Go-Kart: January 2, 2011
    Ford Racing 306 crate; Carb; Trans: T-5Z; 3-Link; Traction Lock rear end; 3.55; 15" Halibrand; PS/PB