Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Drive Shaft to E-Brake Clearance

Post Thanks / Like

Drive Shaft to E-Brake Clearance

Got the engine and tranny in as well as the rear end. Everything seem to fit great. Bolt holes lined up on all the mounts without having to persuade anything or re-drill any holes. Everything fell right into place. Sound great so far.

Assembled and installed my E-Brake handle and cable as well as the supplied drive shaft and it looks like the drive shaft may be too short by 1" - 1.5", and there is only aobut 3/8" clearance between the driveshaft yolk and the E-brake cable. Does this look normal? attached pics for visual.

Engine Tranny combo is 351w with TKO 600 (TR 3550)

2011-06-29_01-41-56_441.jpg2011-06-29_01-42-13_603.jpg2011-06-29_01-43-10_608.jpg2011-06-29_01-44-55_449.jpg

It just seems to me that the yolk should be closer to the tranny and there should be more than 3/8" clearance between the drive shaft and the E-Brake Cables.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Approximately 1 1/2" of exposed shaft between the seal and yoke is pretty normal when at final ride height.

On the e-brake cables I recommend incorporating guides to assure that they stay in position away from the driveshaft and in alignment with the parking brake lever where they cross under the round tube. On a recently completed Mk 4 I used some hard nylon sleeves with a bolt through the center tapped into the tube:

As you guide the cables to the right side of the car you may find that it is necessary to relieve the seat belt mounting tab a bit so that they don't chafe on it.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That's an Awesome idea, Thanks for your info and suggestion...where do I send the check

Post Thanks / Like
    1 1/2" of drive shaft exposed is ok. You should have nothing to worry about.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response.