Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone try fuel cell foam in the FFR tank?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try fuel cell foam in the FFR tank?

As title says. To minimize the slosh?
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a racer, so I'm probably off the mark; but I don't "get it". I was under the impression fuel cell foam surrounds an inner bladder, filled with fuel, correct? And it's use is to absorbs the shock from a crash and not ignite the fuel. Re: the '33 tank I think if you want to reduce sloshing you would put baffles in the tank, not foam?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the opposite according to all I've found.

And, this over baffles for one reason only. Easier than getting baffles into it lol.

Edit: after looking around, box the idea. It seems many have issues with foam plugging the lines. I'd rather not have to pull the tank, especially considering location, because of foam
    Maybe I'll look at changing the tank shape so it goes in from the back and then add some baffles while one end is off.
    Last edited by Svtfreak; 07-25-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    It's the opposite according to all I've found.

And, this over baffles for one reason only. Easier than getting baffles into it lol.

Edit: after looking around, box the idea. It seems many have issues with foam plugging the lines. I'd rather not have to pull the tank, especially considering location, because of foam
    Maybe I'll look at changing the tank shape so it goes in from the back and then add some baffles while one end is off.
    Yeah like I said, I'm not a racer and have never actually used one. Still learning all the time!

Back to your question, I'm thinking if it COULD be done, wouldn't it reduce the capacity significantly? I'm also thinking that since these things I believe are certified and have an active shelf life (I think I read 5 years once) you probably would be better off getting an ACTUAL fuel cell over trying to fab your own.

I'll back out now and let the experts chime in...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've messed with that foam before and it compresses pretty small. The capacity loss should actually be minimal. But like I said, I don't want the possibility of trash from it like I've read. Actually read that some guys have to clean their tanks fairly regularly! I think this is a case of where a race type part isn't suitable for street.

Was just a though though. Was just trying to get some baffleage (is that a word?) without springing for a new tank.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you thought about going with a Hydramat? https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

Here is mine...

IMG_8484.JPG

Or just cut the top of the tank and tack in a couple of baffles.

Post Thanks / Like
    In 818ramus's build he used wiffle balls to keep the sloshing down. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...odified/page18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    In 818ramus's build he used wiffle balls to keep the sloshing down. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...odified/page18
    Now that's an unorthodox yet possible solution!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    We remove the foam from our dragsters fuel cell when we run alcohol for fuel. The alcohol will cause the foam to come apart, I wonder if the alcohol in todays gasoline would have the same effect?
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    We remove the foam from our dragsters fuel cell when we run alcohol for fuel. The alcohol will cause the foam to come apart, I wonder if the alcohol in todays gasoline would have the same effect?
    Is the alcohol you use ethanol based? If so, I have no doubt it would.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Most racing alcohol fuels are Methanol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wirenut View Post
    Have you thought about going with a Hydramat? https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

Here is mine...

IMG_8484.JPG

Or just cut the top of the tank and tack in a couple of baffles.
    Wirenut, is yours installed in the standard tank with the standard pickup? What did you use to connect between the mat and pickup? As I have been driving mine, I am noticing it bogging and stuttering after a hard brake which makes me think I am losing fuel due to sloshing.

Also, where in Houston are you?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'd have trouble getting the foam blocks into the tank and all positioned correctly. Fuel cells have a larger access opening than a typical sending unit provides. The blocks are a specific size and shape to fit the tank and clear the sending unit.

As stated above, alcohol will kill fuel cell foam designed for gasoline. Here in Northern AZ we have up to 10% alcohol in our gas and so far my foam has held up. If you have more alky in your gas than E10 that may be a problem.

There there's the safety aspect you better be aware of before playing with foam blocks. If you've had fuel in the tank you must drain ALL the fuel and flush the tank with water before inserting and removing foam. The foam can generate enough static electricity to cause a spark and that can be a very bad thing if there are fuel vapors present.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    Wirenut, is yours installed in the standard tank with the standard pickup? What did you use to connect between the mat and pickup? As I have been driving mine, I am noticing it bogging and stuttering after a hard brake which makes me think I am losing fuel due to sloshing.

Also, where in Houston are you?
    Here you go. Actually I ended up switching to a Boyd tank. I still have this setup that I could let go for cheap or trade. I'm in the Heights area of Houston, are you local?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Most racing alcohol fuels are Methanol.
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    ...As stated above, alcohol will kill fuel cell foam designed for gasoline. Here in Northern AZ we have up to 10% alcohol in our gas and so far my foam has held up. If you have more alky in your gas than E10 that may be a problem...
    Just to clarify.... Alcohol racing fuels are Methanol (very reactive, poisonous). The alcohol usually mixed with pump gas is Ethanol (fairly inert, not poisonous). Methanol eats everything including fuel cell foam, while ethanol only breaks down certain rubbers but not fuel cell foam.

I prefer my ethanol in Bourbon form, not as government subsidized pump gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 56 Chevy pickup that I built between 1993 and 95. I used a race type foam filled fuel cell in it when I built it and drove it all over the western U.S. without issues until 2010 when I moved to Arizona. I left my truck in storage in Idaho for a year and a half before bringing it to Arizona. When I got it here I had a lot of trouble with the foam in the tank disintegrating and plugging the fuel system. I finally removed the existing cell and replaced it with a new one of the same type and did not have any more trouble. I have since replaced the entire fuel system including the tank because I am now running a fuel injected engine. In any event, my experience was that as long as I drove the truck regularly I was fine. Once I let it sit for a prolonged period I had trouble with the foam. My 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    You do have to be careful with sourcing fuel cell foam as some of it will degrade even with just racing gas. Everything will appear okay but you'll start finding waxy deposits in carb internal passages causing mixture problems. Just a word of caution.

Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.