Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Thing 2" Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe Build

Post Thanks / Like

"Thing 2" Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe Build

Well, a couple of weeks (maybe a month?) ago I ordered one of the last Gen 2 Coupe kits, and Stewart Transportation finally delivered it last Thursday. Excellent customer service by both the company and the driver 'Jim'. I took the weekend inventorying all parts and pieces (missing a couple small fasteners and washers, nothing major), and organizing them into my storage racks. While I intend to be patient, and work methodically at the project, but I couldn't help myself and did a little work on the front suspension getting the upper a-arms installed and installing the front coil over shocks.

My intent is for this to be more of a weekend cruiser with an occasional track day here and there. So I am not trying to get too wild with the engine and/or suspension set-up. So, my first big decision is which engine should I look using for the car? I always believed in the saying that there is no replacement for displacement, so I was leanign towards the 351W, but I know that I can probably get the horsepower I am looking for out of a 302 (350HP?).

My intent is to try and make steady progress on the Coupe over the next couple of months, and I will probably have a thousand questions for everyone on here. I am looking forward to sharing my experience with the group, and getting some good feedback and recommendations from everyone.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone use the Flaming River Quick Ratio Manual Rack with their Coupe or Roadster? I bought one, and realized that the FFR rack extensions do not fit...do I need to use the extensions or the Breeze Automotive extensions? Has anyone had any issues with bump steer using a rack other than a stock 87-93 Mustang or the FFR one?

Hind sight being 20/20 I probably should have just bought a FFR manual rack or the Breeze Automotive rack set-up with the extenders, but since I am past the deadline to return the Flaming River rack, I want to figure out how to make it work.

Post Thanks / Like
    So made significant progress (despite numerous mistakes) on the build. Have the entire suspension installed. Ended up ordering a 3-link rear end from FFR, and the QA-1 coil overs for the rear from Breeze Automotive. Have the front and rear wheels, but only have the tires on the front so only the front is on the ground. Once I figure out how to upload some pictures, I plan on posting some.
    IMG_0661.JPGIMG_0663.JPG
    Last edited by mtu shupavu; 11-22-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent!
    If you look on the top tool bar, the third icon from the right looks like a little screen.
    Click on it and then you can choose to Get a pic on line or choose from your computer files.

Hope that helps

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple of older pictures of when I had the kit delivered, and some minor progress I made within the first month or two...
    IMG_0260.jpgIMG_0268.jpgfullsizeoutput_bc.jpgIMG_0472.JPGIMG_0474.jpgIMG_0484.JPG
    Last edited by mtu shupavu; 11-11-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting some sunshine, finally...

Well, it took me a little more than a year to get to this point (mostly due to having to purchase the requisite parts in phases), but the Coupe is off of jack stands, and rolling, steering and stopping.

Bought 18x9 wheels with 275/35/18 tires for the front, and 18x10 wheels with 295/35/18 tires for the rear. I ordered the wheels in gunmetal gray from American Muscle, and the tires are Mickey Thompson Street Comp from JEGS.

Black's Tire Service mounted and balanced the tires and wheels for me last Friday and I was able to roll the Coupe out into the sun last weekend.

Now onto the drive train. I already purchased a 306 short block plus from Blueprint Engines, so now I need to focus on finishing up the engine and buyign a TKO 500. I see many Christmas presents from Jegs in my future!!!

RHBnfbviRwqurmxGRidfDQ.jpgj7xGEQGfSO6iXEYGm9pWmA.jpgIMG_1166.jpgIMG_1169.jpgPk+ixpdoSWOUqiXTyNLPDA.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Rear End Build Up and Installation

So this post is a little out of sequence, but here is the rear end build up and installation. I used a 8.8 rear out of a 93 Mustang, and basically pulled everything out of it and just used the housing.

Put in new 33 spline 5-lug axles and 3.55 ring and pinion with traction lock differential.

Went with 3-link rear suspension set-up from FFR, but went with QA1 rear coil overs from Breeze Automotive since the Konis were out of stock for a long time at FFR. Welded the banana bracket onto the axle tube to ensure it did not twist.

IMG_0672.JPGIMG_0792.JPGIMG_0808.JPGIMG_0898.JPGIMG_0972.JPGIMG_0974.JPG