Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Antilock Brake Tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Antilock Brake Tips?

I’m leaning towards keeping the antilock brakes from my 2002 donor mustang and was wondering if anyone had done this and could provide ideas, specifically on antilock brake module placement and routing? Pics would be great. Finally is the hassle of keeping antilock brakes worth it in a car that I don’t plan on driving in the rain :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    older threads but probably still relevant

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ight=abs+gt500

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Ford+GT500+ABS

and you HOPE your not going to drive it in the rain. but unless you
    A don't drive it at all
    or
    B follow an enclosed trailer around.

your likely to get caught sooner or later.

Chris AKA Gromit

3. Thanks Jaguar Engineer thanked for this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    here are my plans, a little different - but some ideas for you

https://cobradreams.com/2020/04/12/abs-planning/
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

5. Likes Jaguar Engineer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With IRS the ABS is fine. With a Live axle the added length has to be accounted for in the wheels. I have yet to see a car with longer 94-98 width or the even longer 99-04 width without tire rub issues. A lot of stuff is all great until the body goes on and the tires rub. JMHO. Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Engineer View Post

Finally is the hassle of keeping antilock brakes worth it in a car that I don’t plan on driving in the rain :-)

What do you plan on doing with the car?

Operator input is everything in these cars - short wheelbase, high power engines + brakes for the (low) weight + big tires.

You've got to get the brakes (and everything else) right and learn to drive the car (throttle + steering + brakes - operator input).

If you want computer nannies to help - you'd be way ahead buying something with the nannies already engineered in it - rather than trying to retrofit / rig complex electronic systems to work well in a classic that already works extremely well if the operator is doing their part.

The cars will make little mistakes into big mistakes - quite unforgiving.

And the computer systems you can retrofit / rig onto it aren't likely to change that dynamic greatly.

My best advice, YMMV.

Good luck,

Mike
    Last edited by mike223; 04-23-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    What do you plan on doing with the car?

Operator input is everything in these cars - short wheelbase, high power engines + brakes for the (low) weight + big tires.

You've got to get the brakes (and everything else) right and learn to drive the car (throttle + steering + brakes - operator input).

If you want computer nannies to help - you'd be way ahead buying something with the nannies already engineered in it - rather than trying to retrofit / rig complex electronic systems to work well in a classic that already works extremely well if the operator is doing their part.

My best advice, YMMV.

Good luck,

Mike
    Mike,
    Thanks for the input. My plan is primarily to be a weekend cruiser. My plans to install the abs primarily hinges on it being largely plug and play, notwithstanding the brake plumbing involved for the install. Are you saying that incorporating the mustang abs on the MK4 would require additional tuning to get it dialed in for typical weekend cruiser use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Engineer View Post

My plans to install the abs primarily hinges on it being largely plug and play, notwithstanding the brake plumbing involved for the install. Are you saying that incorporating the mustang abs on the MK4 would require additional tuning to get it dialed in for typical weekend cruiser use?
    I'm saying that's a considerable amount of complex potential failure modes, extra trouble, and eventual obsolescence to put in a weekend cruiser that's already lighter, on wider tires, and (very probably) brakes better than anything remotely comparable.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've known several friends who have flat spotted some expensive tires... plus, if the car gets away from you, ABS may help you from putting it into a guardrail...
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    I've known several friends who have flat spotted some expensive tires... plus, if the car gets away from you, ABS may help you from putting it into a guardrail...
    Weekend cruising?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post

plus, if the car gets away from you, ABS may help you from putting it into a guardrail...
    In case the OP doesn't yet know:

These sorts of cars (rear weight biased supercar) get wrecked at least 20:1 by getting the car sideways and stepping off the throttle, often fatal out on the big road.

Stepping on the brake in that situation accomplishes absolutely nothing - you're still going for a ride you're not going to like, ABS or no.

It's a mistake you can't afford to make.