Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Carpet edging and heel pad

Post Thanks / Like

Carpet edging and heel pad

I know several people have done carpet edging and heel pads on the factory carpet. I'm planning to do edging on just a couple of carpet edges, notably the tunnel piece and probably the funky piece around the doors. I can't decide on leather, vinyl, or fabric edging though. I'm looking for pics that anyone has of the edging they've done. Doesn't matter where it is, I'm just hoping to see examples on the black carpet of different types of edging. I'm leaning towards a fabric edge to match the FFR floor mats.

Also wondering what people did for a heel pad on the driver's engine side panel near the gas pedal. Just a small square of vinyl stitched into the carpet? I feel this makes a professional look even though I don't feel it's really necessary. Pics of this too would be nice you anyone has some.

On a side note, I don't plan to do this myself. I have access to nice stitching sewing machines(the kind that can embroider) but nothing heavy duty enough to handle the pile of carpet and the edging.

Thanks,

-TJ

2. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had carpet edging sewn onto the edges of the door piece and the transmission tunnel piece on my two Mk4 builds. Done by a local auto interior place with material that matched the FF floor mats. You can see it in these pics:

For the heel pad, I bought some pieces from an automotive carpet place a couple builds ago. After cutting to shape and determining the location, I shave most of the carpet pile underneath and glue them in place. Then hand stitch around the edges with some carpet thread. They could also be machine sewn, but I just do it myself.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    This place has DIY carpet edging that works pretty well (not as good as professionally sewn).
    https://www.bondproducts.com/instabi...-binding-tape/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I've had carpet edging sewn onto the edges of the door piece and the transmission tunnel piece on my two Mk4 builds. Done by a local auto interior place with material that matched the FF floor mats. You can see it in these pics:

Hi Again Paul. For your edge binding on the door pieces, is the binding on the upper sill carpet, or on the vertical inside piece, (or both)? Hard to tell in the photo which piece has the edge binding.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Hi Again Paul. For your edge binding on the door pieces, is the binding on the upper sill carpet, or on the vertical inside piece, (or both)? Hard to tell in the photo which piece has the edge binding.
    The edging is on the those wonky looking pieces that get installed and folded onto the top of the sills after you install the body and aluminum sill pieces. The main objective was to hide the raw edge of the carpet that would visible along the entire sill when the piece as delivered from FF is installed. But I also had edging installed on the corners, so that when they're folded into place by the door hinges and door latch, those raw edges also have a more finished look. This pic shows the pieces after they came back from having the edges sewn. I would recommend test fitting them before installing the edging.

Last edited by edwardb; 08-05-2017 at 06:26 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the same sewn edge material as shown by boBQuincy in area similar to edwardB. (except for the transmission. I secured the cover in place and covered with the one piece carpet for the entire tunnel). I also applied it in the trunk area around the cut out for the drop storage kit. This stuff is quite easy to apply and looks pro.

One thing I've seen some people do for a wear pad.....Flip your removable floor mats over while driving. Then, turn them over when you get to the show and shine. I personally don't care for this. I drive quite a bit with my right sandal off (bare foot) and the little pitons on the bottom of the mats are annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the upholstery shop use vinyl edging. I hated the rough edges especially on the sill....every time I got in I looked at the edges of the original carpet. I bought a full carpet set and had them bind the edges and replaced it. Happy now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Non Donor FFR#7399 MK4, Ford Cobra SVT 4.6L DOHC, Borg-Warner T45 5-speed, 3-Link, Cobra brakes, Halibrand replica 15" wheels, vintage racing seats, vintage Autometer Cobra gauges, painted ‘69 Corvette Tuxedo Black by Corvette Restorations, Firestone Indy 500 Firehawk Tires –235/60 R15 Front and 295/50 R15 Rear

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Guys,

Thanks for posting this because I'm about to start on the cockpit carpeting phase of the build.
    Like the idea of using the rubber mat to protect the side of the transmission tunnel near The Go Pedal!
    Thanks Again!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Guys,

Thanks for posting this because I'm about to start on the cockpit carpeting phase of the build.
    Like the idea of using the rubber mat to protect the side of the transmission tunnel near The Go Pedal!
    Thanks Again!

Steve
    I just ordered a few protective pads (different sizes) from this place. http://www.heelpadwarehouse.com/heel-pads/ I don't have them yet, so no review to share. I thought at less than $2 a piece, I'll experiment.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey TJ - Looks like I finally have most of this summer's bugs worked out and will be back on the road again this week. Once I've tested everything, I'll bring it up to Jay's house and you can check out my rugs.

I had a local auto / boat / aircraft upholstery shop do sewn-on vinyl edging on my carpets. They used the same stuff that goes into restoration of old British cars, so it looks fairly authentic. I also covered all of the exposed chassis pieces in the cockpit, including the 2x2 tube under the dash, with leather that was left over from the seats and dash. For wear pads, I used some generic rubber pads that the upholstery shop gave me to cut down, then they sewed them onto the carpets - one on the floor and another on the footbox sidewall for my right foot. I also used some left over scraps of carpet to make my own floor mats, which they also edged. To hold them in place, I used Lift-the-Dot fasteners.

Some pics....

While I was at it, I had them edge the trunk carpeting and the main piece that covers the lower portion of the trunk floor is held in place by hidden snaps that I bought from Moss Motors.....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    wow looks great

Post Thanks / Like
    I did something a little different for the heel pad on the side carpet. Got some black pvc sheeting and cut it to fit the angled area there then used stainless fasteners to install. If it ever wears out it's a simple task to cut another one and replace.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another pic of the wear pads - the mat and the carpet below it both have the same wear pads.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Another pic of the wear pads - the mat and the carpet below it both have the same wear pads.

I am at the stage where I'm test fitting my carpets. Chris, with lift and dot fasteners, do all your carpets come out or, did you glue some down. For example, did you glue the behind the seats back wall pieces as well as the foot box side pieces?
    Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay,

Only the floor mats and the lower / main trunk piece are removable - all the other carpet pieces are glued in place.

Moss Motors offers a variety of snaps to make carpets removable - if you are going that route, you should consider the ones that I used for the trunk carpet - here's a detail pic of those snaps with mounting rings that hide in the pile of the carpet. With these, the snap is riveted to the aluminum panel and then the snap receiver piece is mounted to the back side of the carpet panel and held in place by the spiked ring that is pushed through the nap of the carpet and then the pointed tangs are bent to hold the two parts together.

This is the closest pic I have of the trunk carpet that is secured by those snaps - there are four across the front and four across the rear along the trunk lid opening - they are pretty much completely invisible once the nap of the carpet is moved around by hand / vacuum.

Last edited by Gumball; 08-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

17. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you have the carpet mats custom made? The ones from FFR don't fit my Mark III

Post Thanks / Like
    I used fabric edging on my carpet tunnel and door jamb pieces. For the heel pad I got the FFR floor mats. For the carpeted side of engine tunnel by accel pedal I installed a piece of 1/8 thick black pvc sheet. Cut to fit that angled area and installed with stainless buttonhead screws. Allows for future replacement and the fasteners are low profile enough that they don’t interfere with pushing the pedal.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this on my ********** drivers mat. It wore through the carpet in a couple thousand miles. When installed on the mat, it looks like they came that way from the factory.

http://www.heelpadwarehouse.com/mini...ad-5-3-4-x-11/

I also did some hold downs like this. The mats do not stay in place by themselves. They are actually kind of dangerous without the hold downs as the bunch up under the pedals.

https://www.amazon.com/Cloulds_Zone-...W2C621YX6BMTGJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche325

Thanks for the mat hold down link I have been trying to find them

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    This might not be to your liking but I found that I always wore down the spot where my heel sat, maybe due to the thin aluminum flooring that pretty much keeps your heel in one spot. Others at the time were worried about road hazards coming up through the thin aluminum floor board so I cut a piece of diamond plate aluminum to fit the driver and passenger sides, sprayed on a layer of black bed liner, and laid them in place with a snug fit. I spray a new coat of bed liner every couple years to keep them fresh looking. This works well for me as the diamond plate keeps my heel from wearing down a spot and the diamonds and bed liner assure my heel doesn't slide around. At one point I carpeted the diamond plate but my heel wore the carpet in one season so the carpet was removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the diamond plate on the footbox floors - I used some 3M butyl strip caulk to hold it in place and damp the floor a bit more.

As for floor mats, I made my own using some leftover FFR carpet from my trunk project. Just cut them to fit and had the upholsterer edge them and add the rubber heel pad.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Itchief,

When I did mine, the only place I could find them was ebay UK. Amazon will be a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    The edging is on the those wonky looking pieces that get installed and folded onto the top of the sills after you install the body and aluminum sill pieces. The main objective was to hide the raw edge of the carpet that would visible along the entire sill when the piece as delivered from FF is installed. But I also had edging installed on the corners, so that when they're folded into place by the door hinges and door latch, those raw edges also have a more finished look. This pic shows the pieces after they came back from having the edges sewn. I would recommend test fitting them before installing the edging.

Resurrecting an old thread, and a little off the original topic. Nevertheless....

I've developed a mental block on these two pieces (shown in the photo above). Which way do they go? Which is DS and which is PS? I've been going back and forth on mine (it's one of the last things to finish...). Any help figuring out how to fit these two pieces is appreciated!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    The split "Y" end goes towards the rear. In the pic above, it looks like the front of the car would be on the left, and the lower piece is the DS.

On mine, after the body was installed, the DS carpet piece was just a fraction of an inch too narrow. I cut another from my left over trunk carpet (same as interior) making it wider. I also made my aluminum sill pieces removable, so I glued the carpet strips to the aluminum, then screwed that to the under door area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I recognize that picture! Besides the parts, who could miss the distinctive (!) flooring the former owner of our house put in the basement. Boat737 is correct. The Y end goes to the rear. That wider piece coming off the Y goes up under the door latches. The smaller piece on the other end goes up under the door hinges. My experience with those is contact cement works best because of how they need to be bent and there isn't a lot of surface for adhesive in some places. Glue the sill section (the long straight part) first, then go section by section on the rest. Note also the "tab" on the Y piece going up to the part that goes under the door latch gets trimmed off once glued in place. I suspect they put that there because the carpet gets so narrow in that area. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-23-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I recognize that picture! Besides the parts, who could miss the distinctive (!) flooring the former owner of our house put in the basement. Boat737 is correct. The Y end goes to the rear. That wider piece coming off the Y goes up under the door latches. The smaller piece on the other end goes up under the door hinges. My experience with those is contact cement works best because of how they need to be bent and there isn't a lot of surface for adhesive in some places. Glue the sill section (the long straight part) first, then go section by section on the rest. Not also the "tab" on the Y piece going up to the part that goes under the door latch gets trimmed off once glued in place. I suspect they put that there because the carpet gets so narrow in that area. Good luck.
    Thank you, Boat and Paul!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread any many helpful tips - Bookmarked! Thanks guys!

Dj

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat, Paul, thanks for sharing. That's the last of my carpet to install when I get the body back from the painter. Boat where did you get that grab handle? Does your wife use it/ like it? Mine complains of not having anything to hold on to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
    Boat, Paul, thanks for sharing. That's the last of my carpet to install when I get the body back from the painter. Boat where did you get that grab handle? Does your wife use it/ like it? Mine complains of not having anything to hold on to.
    I gotta say, I'm usually a very aggressive driver, but when I'm in the Little Beast, I'm the most polite, cautious driver on the road. That car is way more car than I am driver, so... I don't get crazy in this car. The wife only really uses the dash grab handle to get in, or out.

I bought them from Eddie Marine. And I modified them to bolt from the outside/topside, rather than from the back side. The main reason I put them in is to discourage grabbing the windshield, shifter, or whatever might be handy for the passenger.

I will say though, that when I'm sitting in the passenger seat, those handles are very comfortable and convenient to rest my hands on. They are in a very nice place to hold onto.
    Last edited by boat737; 04-24-2020 at 01:29 AM.

32. Thanks Tony_G thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boat. Just noticed the little pocket on the trans tunnel. Another good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
    Thanks Boat. Just noticed the little pocket on the trans tunnel. Another good idea.
    They don't hold a lot, but they are handy (note pads, phones, ear plugs, pen's, all the small stuff that collects in the car.) There are 4 that I made, plus the 2 that came with the door liners.

Post Thanks / Like
    I searched for the sewn edging and found a carpet shop that had a machine for "Serging" that wraps the carpet edge in tight yarn. Most upholstery shops don't have machine but carpet installers can get it done.

I had them make custom floor mats with my extra carpet and the same Serged edge. Also used the Moss clips mentioned by Gumball. Work great.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

36. Likes DavidW liked this post