Out of Sight Audio

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duff33 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got to put some of the other projects on hold and get back to the hot rod, poor thing has been sitting in the garage just waiting for the first go cart ride up the street. Now some advice for those of you that are at that stage and they are really simple things that I overlooked. First, do a rough alignment of the front end, when the toe is off which ever tire grabs the road, thats the direction you are going to go, not straight, only takes about 100 feet to realize this isn't right. Back in the garage and take care of that. Second, make sure you have enough gas in the tank, so when you are a half mile up the street you dont run out of gas and eave the hot rod on the side of the street, walk back and get he gas can. Not he smartest thing to do.
    But other than those my first run up the street I am pleased with. I will do this a couple more times and hopefully post a video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, the first ride! I've been waiting and checking for an update... somewhat patiently too!

Here's what I did over the weekend, yep gave the girl a bath..

car wash small.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    good to see the coupe out in the sunshine

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.. And Thanks!

I had hoped to make some time to see the "go kart" but maybe next week. The to-do list didn't get short enough to go goofin off.. 8-)

Post Thanks / Like
    After what seemed like weeks of working on the fit of the hardtop finally got the body and parts sanded and primed in white. Next is block sanding and drilling holes for gauges and door hardware.body parts in white 001.JPGbody parts in white 002.JPGbody parts in white 003.JPGbody parts in white 004.JPGbody parts in white 008.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to install a windshield wiper, is the speedway wiper kit a good choice? Is there enough room under the dash without hitting the master cylinders?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a better and smaller system Raingear wipers that others have used. Also Dan makes a system. Can't talk to the room under the dash http://www.raingearwipers.com/

9. Thanks TxMike64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the info, I will check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of vinyl wraps, my 33 is wrapped. If I was a little more IT savvy I would include a picture but the best picture I have won the Picture of the month for January 2018 on this forum. Shouldn't be too hard to find. The whole thing is wrapped including the white stripe.
    What TD Sapp said about the prep work is exactly right. I'm no body man but I did I did all the prep work myself. If you look real close you can see some "imperfections". Still it looks pretty good and the total coast was $3800. You will do well to get it painted for under $6 - 7 grand unless you do all the work yourself. My build was in the 3rd bay of my 3 car garage. Not a good paint booth... APEX Customs did the wrap. Phoenix AZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey mark
    Very nice looking ride. Was the white stripe over the black or an inlay? I am doing all the prep work myself also, I did put a wrap on the trunk lid, but it was just on the bench, so when I went to pull it tight the lid moved rather than the wrap stretching. Live and learn. I have pulled it off and am going to try again with help this time.
    Drilled all the holes in the dash for the gauges yesterday, hope to shoot some white paint on the inside of the hard top and the doors in the next couple of days when the humidity breaks, than hopefully the body back on the chassis this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    The white stripe is over the black. APEX also put a beautiful carbon fiber looking wrap on the dash and the fiberglass panel behind the seats. It looks real nice. Lastly they made a beautiful foam padded carbon fiber looking headliner that's a huge upgrade to the fabric headliner in the kit.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to do the same for my dash, do you have a picture of your dash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Joy View Post
    The white stripe is over the black. APEX also put a beautiful carbon fiber looking wrap on the dash and the fiberglass panel behind the seats. It looks real nice. Lastly they made a beautiful foam padded carbon fiber looking headliner that's a huge upgrade to the fabric headliner in the kit.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Mark,

How did they handle the tight radius of the body line? I don't know what to call it but the half circle that runs from front to back. Is there an edge around that part of the body? Is it smooth?

I also plan on doing a lot of the body work myself. I have heard that many paint shops will not agree to paint your body if they don't do the prep work. I have not talked to many paint shops yet since I am still quite a ways out. But the wrap guys are excited and really want to do the Hot Rod.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

16. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take some pictures tomorrow, sharpen my IT skills and send them over. One thing about a wrap is that no one makes a roll large enough to cover the roof so there will be a noticeable seem. I was apprehensive about this at first but after I saw the finished product, I think it's really cool looking and that it actually adds to the character. You'll see what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,
    I think they made a seam at the bottom of the half round bulge that goes along the each side at the top. You can't see it but there is a noticeable seam at the back unlike the one on the roof that is an overlap and made to be seen. The one at the back is very small and noticeable only when pointed out. I'm very happy with the wrap but under a magnifying glass, a good paint job will beat a wrap every time just in sheer shininess. Cost and effort were the big factors for me. The reason your wrap shop is excited about wrapping your Hot Rod is because they never get the opportunity to wrap them. Almost all Hot Rodders end up with $10 - $15,000 paint jobs. Then when they get their first stone chip they wanna commit suicide. So they end up as trailer queens to protect their investment. Poppycock....

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim & Duff33, I can't believe I forgot to mention that I have a YouTube vid of the car. I'll still send some pics of the roof seem, dash and some other goodies but if you put 'Mark Joy Hot Rod' in the YouTube search engine, it will be the first thing that comes up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, here's my 1st attempt to send some pictures. These 2 are the dash and back interior panel. P_20180720_114055_BF_p.jpgP_20180720_114132_BF_p.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good with the CF

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the roof seamP_20180720_114032_BF_p.jpg

These are some micro-bubbles in a seam at the edge of my roof. One of the "imperfections" I would have to point out if you were standing looking at it. P_20180720_114008_BF_p.jpg

This is an unavoidable seam located on each side behind the rear wheel where the 2 pieces come together.P_20180720_114014_BF_p.jpg

Lastly, this is one of the engine. Just because. It's a slightly de-tuned 406 SMC that formerly resided in a dirt late model I used to run during another life...P_20180720_105446_BF_p.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that I would like to point out that is unique (besides the wrap) is my idea of using the engine side panels. As you can see in the engine picture, I used about 6" of the side panel and it is firmly attached to the front. It's held in place by the headlight on top and 2 quarter inch bolts on the bottom. I liked the idea of an open engine compartment but am able to hide the hood hardware and sides of the grille. It made for an interesting continuation of the white stripe as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123