BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Ease of entry and exit

Post Thanks / Like

Ease of entry and exit

I am trying to decide which model to buy and ease of entry and exit is a big consideration for old folks like my wife and me. We were able to sit in a 65 and a roadster but the HotRod was not available locally, we are in North Naples, FL. The drawing below represents a door in the closed position. If someone can supply me with the dimensions represented with the ? marks I can get a good idea of what entry and exit will be like. I appreciate your help. I'm not doing well trying to add the drawing to the post, it's a jpg, 1000 pixels by 800 but appears very small on the preview.

FFdoor.jpg

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have built 14 FFR kits, 5-MK4's, 3-33's, 3-818's a Type 65, GTM and a 35 P/U. The 33 hot rod IMO is by far the easiest to get in and out of.
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-29-2020 at 06:33 AM.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

3. Likes Jkviper, Mrallsport32 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vern smith View Post
    I am trying to decide which model to buy and ease of entry and exit is a big consideration for old folks like my wife and me. We were able to sit in a 65 and a roadster but the HotRod was not available locally, we are in North Naples, FL. The drawing below represents a door in the closed position. If someone can supply me with the dimensions represented with the ? marks I can get a good idea of what entry and exit will be like. I appreciate your help. I'm not doing well trying to add the drawing to the post, it's a jpg, 1000 pixels by 800 but appears very small on the preview.

FFdoor.jpg
    I don't really understand your drawing, sorry, but I'm replacing the doorstop with a strap and the door now opens 40" wide. You can see a pic on my build thread

I will say though, that the hardtop is quite low and restrictive to entry too. As a roadster you'd have a LOT of room though.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

5. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    I don't really understand your drawing, sorry, but I'm replacing the doorstop with a strap and the door now opens 40" wide. You can see a pic on my build thread

I will say though, that the hardtop is quite low and restrictive to entry too. As a roadster you'd have a LOT of room though.
    Agree with RoadRacer....the other weird thing you'll have to get used to with suicide doors is you're not truly stepping into the vehicle like you would on a normal vehicle, you're almost backing into it. My neighbor is in his 70's and he has vertigo issues and he tried getting in mine last weekend and the side stepping / backing in to the car was very difficult for him.

If you keep the door stops per FFR instructions you have ~24" between the door pillar and the edge of the open door. I removed mine too so it opens much wider now. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellows, 40" answers one of my question marks on my drawing, the other one is the length of the door. I'm sure 40" will work for me. Anybody have any idea why the forum reduced the size of my .jpg picture to such a small size? It's 1000 pixels by 800 which will usually fill the screen of a laptop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the 33 comes with suicide doors if that helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vern smith View Post
    Thanks fellows, 40" answers one of my question marks on my drawing, the other one is the length of the door. I'm sure 40" will work for me. Anybody have any idea why the forum reduced the size of my .jpg picture to such a small size? It's 1000 pixels by 800 which will usually fill the screen of a laptop.
    With my stops removed, my door opens 30" from the pillar to the door edge. Door length is 40".

Not sure why the forum reduced your drawing. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 70, 6'-2" and have built several roadsters, a coupe and a GTM. The 33 is the easiest to get in and for me get out. I modified the door stops so they would open wider, an easy modification by altering the supplied door stop. Loved all my previous FFR cars but all of them (especially the coupe and GTM) after a long comfortable drive I had to litterally fall out onto the street to exit the car. No such problem with the 33. I do have a convertible top which makes it more difficult, but most times the car is driven without the top.