Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duff33 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d like to echo what tim said about wraps. My best friend owns a wrap shop.

Many people think they will wrap one to save money. That’s not true. First is the body work. You need at least a good sealer as the final coat for the vinyl to adhere properly. As Tim said, you must have it just as perfect as for paint. So you save nothing in body work. A basic no graphic wrap will run 1500-2k (unless it is a color that the vinyl comes in naturally, and wrap vinyl is limited). It’s that much because it must still be printed and laminated. Any graphics you’ll then pay for design time on top of that. In the end, it doesn’t take much and then you are more expensive than paint for basic stuff. You won’t see a money savings. Even the very intricate graphics work takes hours and hours of design time. And they are an artist just as much as the airbrush guys.

In short, the cheap vinyl that comes in premade colors, and installed yourself, would save you some money, but would look terrible. That stuff is thin, stretched too thin on corners and can see the base layer under it, isn’t laminated with a clear top, isn’t UV stable and will fade quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    The idea was not to short cut any body work, was not thinking of any fancy graphics. I have to remember that not all ideas are good ones

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duff33 View Post
    Hi Tim
    Unfortunately no lift, its going to be jack it up, put it on jack stands, then lower to the ground, or at least that's the plan. Duff
    Or just ask a couple buddies to drop by... it won't be a problem!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had to see what it is going to look like with the roof set on. Body is going to come off in the next couple of weeks, too cold for body work any more. Motor should be arriving in the next couple of days, so it will be wiring next.mock up 001.JPGmock up 003.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, it looks good in white! Not seen many that color. I keep hoping they'll offer a white gelcoat before I order mine, but I was told originally that they won't because "white gel has a lot of problems".
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a couple of friends come by the other day and helped take the body off the chassis, must admit it came of a lot easier than it went on. back to the bare chassis for the winter, motor should be delivered tomorrow, transmission hopefully next week,mock up1 004.JPG so that is the next phase. I did redo the fuel line, originally I ran it down the right side, but I think it would be better running down the left side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did redo the fuel line, originally I ran it down the right side, but I think it would be better running down the left side.
    I was planning to run the fuel lines down the right side and the brake lines down the left. Why did you think it will be better running fuel down the left side (next to the brake lines?)? You got me wondering what I didn't consider - this time?
    Thanks,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Keith
    I plan on running a carbureted motor with a mechanical fuel pump which is on the left side. I am not a fan of running fuel lines across the firewall to switch sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, thanks. Makes sense for your application.
    Have fun with your build. Lookin' good!
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the motor / trans show up yet?

I'm scared to hear the reply....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, both the motor and the transmission are safely in the garage now. It was quite the saga waiting for the motor, couple of weeks ago the motor was shipped, I called the freight company on a Monday to schedule delivery, they told me they could deliver either Tues or Wed between 11 and 3, I was tied up on Tues so scheduled for Wed. Waited from 11 to 6, no show, called Thursday morning, was told should be delivered that morning, no show, called at 2 and was told should be there within the hour, no show. Called Friday morning and was told if I had called the day before they could have delivered on Friday, but believing which ever story they told us, either no trucks in my area that day or their lift truck was broken, promised delivery first stop Monday morning. Called Monday morning at 7:30 to confirm and they said, yes, being loaded right now and I am the first delivery, I called at 1 to ask where it might be and was told the driver is out for deliveries, he did show up at around 2 and said I was his first stop. The transmission on the other hand worked out well, scheduled that delivery for Tuesday afternoon, between 1 and 3, it showed up at 11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds about right for my motor, it was shipped from Patterson New Jersey to a freight forwarder to a trucking company in El-Paso, Tx from there to Dallas then to Houston, Tx and finally to College Station, Tx where I was instructed to pick it up.
    Called trucking company and told them I paid for direct shipment to my home in Onalaska, Tx. Trucking company stated they don't do home delivery.
    Went to pick up motor in College Station and was told by trucking company because I did not pick it up in a timely manner (I went to get it the following morning) it was shipped back to New Jersey.

Long story short motor arrived at my home 5-weeks after initial shipment and additional cost. Still fighting with engine builder and freight company for my money which I paid for twice.

Post Thanks / Like
    What was your car's production number, please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya know, it's said that without pics, it didn't happen! HEE HEE HEE..

Glad to hear it's landed safely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is 1021, motor/trans getting readynumbers 008.JPG, numbers 009.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a little confused by the discussion above about the supplied parts not fitting: moser supplied rear axle, trailing arms, etc., on a 4 link. I cannot believe FFR would sell you these parts and as indicated above "they have to modified", or not used. I am anticipating doing this build, but this disturbs me. Wonder if will be the same issue with the '35 Hot Rod pickup. Or, have these issues been resolved between FFR and moser?

Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boss. 8-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding parts not fitting, I have been involved in manufacturing for more years than I want to admit. It is not uncommon for suppliers to make changes to parts or formulas without letting you know. They feel they are making an improvement or a cost cutting measure. Sometimes you never know and other times you scratch your head trying to figure what is different. Its all part of the game and it makes for interesting challenges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year! Hope you make great progress with the hot rod in 2018!

someone baling out! https://southcoast.craigslist.org/ct...429012428.html
    Last edited by 34_40; 01-01-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same to you Buddy ! Progress has pretty much stopped, it is just way to cold, 0 outside this AM, 15 degrees in the garage, ran the heat for a couple of hours and got it up to 38 degrees, ran some wiring but the floor is to cold for my feet even with thermal socks . Did put the motor & trans in a couple of weeks ago ( when it was in the 40's) , thank you so much for the motor hoist made life pretty easy. Have to change the brackets for the alternator ( too low hits the frame) its been recommended that I change to a high mount bracket. I have that on order plus the headers and shifter. Maybe it will warm up in a couple of weeks. Now I think its just time to hibernate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the same boat here. Temps about the same as yours, and I have been in the shop 'cause the plowtruck needs the carb serviced. But I'm not having much success in completing that or getting the heater to work.
    I am glad to hear you've got the motor & tranny in. That's always a milestone in the journey of building a car.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Progress has pretty much stopped, it is just way to cold, 0 outside this AM, 15 degrees in the garage, ran the heat for a couple of hours and got it up to 38 degrees, ran some wiring but the floor is to cold for my feet even with thermal socks . Maybe it will warm up in a couple of weeks. Now I think its just time to hibernate.
    I am so happy that I put PEX tube in my slab 15 years ago! I didn't actually hook up the radiant Hx until 4 years ago and wow does it make life nice. I keep my shop about 45F when I'm not there which pushes the concrete up to 50F. When I walk in I hit the Hot Dawg to 55 and my hands don't stick to my tools!! Minus 5F at my place this morning and the shop felt great at 45 when I walked in. The dog even thinks its nice, He knows the warmest spot on the floor and owns it. It also keeps my garage door seal from freezing to the floor and ripping off when I open it. Trying to keep it above 45 gets a little pricey though in this weather.

You might want to look for something like a heated horse mat that you can throw down to stand on. Or an entry way deicer mat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am jealous, the idea of the heated mat is a great idea, thank you !!

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been quite awhile since I have posted anything. The cold and the weather sets it up so I can only work in the garage for short periods of time, then back in to warm up. I have been able to install the shifter, but have not connected the TV cable yet. Headers are in place. Put together a mock instument panel, ran most of the wires ( wow what a mess)Jan Update 002.JPGJan Update 003.JPG, tested most of the cicuits using my tractor battery, going to install a terminal block so I dont have that many battery cables attached to the starter. Hooked up the headlights from my old truck to test that out and to my surprise everything worked. Ran transmission lines from the trannyJan Update 001.JPG up to the front, will finish those after the radiator is set inplace. Still so many little things that need to get done, just have to keep chipping away at it and hope for warmer weather. My goal is to start it up by the end of Feburary !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if you might be better running the trans lines along the bell housing and block (similar to OEM) instead of over the exhaust? Or maybe there won't be that much heat by the exhaust there. Just curious. I'm not building yet, but I see little things like that and get curious why people chose the routings they chose - after all it is "their way", not the right way or wrong way. But I like to take every opportunity to learn, that way when I do build I have different ideas to pull from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it has been quite a while since an update. But it has been terribly cold, enough to keep me out of my shop as well so you have my sympathies. LOL.
    It's been said before that any progress is good progress. So good for you! (-8

Post Thanks / Like
    And here I am thinking its too hot to work in the garage. We are in the 80s.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been awhile since I last posted but there has been quite a bit of progress.Grill and radiator have been put in place, tryed to line them up to the marks that I made when the body was on. Installed the radiator hoses, did have to change the thermostat hosing because I moved the altinator to a high mount position.Top hose was pretty staight forward but for the lower radiator hose I had to get a different adaptor hose because the water pump outlet is larger than the supplied adaptors. Picked up one at Tractor supply of all places. They have an adaptor kit which had the correct 3" long piece, great. Then I looked at the bottom of the radiator and realized I needed another one, so off to the parts store.
    Keep in mind mine is a very simple setup, no AC, think I used the AC in my daily driver last year 3 or 4 times, and going carborated.
    Tempoatatly installed the headlights and tail lights, tested everything, solved the issue of both tail lights flashing when I turned the directionals on. Felt like a total idiot when I could not figure the emergency flashers, wiring diagram shows a switch you need to install, turns out the switch is in the steering colum.
    Put a terminal block so I did not have so many wires attached to the starter, mounted and wired the power steering module.
    added fluids to everything, did a one man brake bleed, so far so good, did have a small leak at the resorvoir, no big deal.
    Last piece of the wiring was to install the speedo gear / sensor in the trans, pulled the duct tape of that had been covering the "hole" and found its a blank hole, well thats not going to work. After some advice and encouragement from a freind I pulled the driveshaft back out and pull the tail housing off. Found another on on e-bay very close to home, then found out there are different size yokes, so that on is not going to work. Have the correct on on the way to me.
    Temporarily installed the e-brake just so I could see how to run the cables.
    Tryed to install the throttle cable, turns out what is supplied is 4' long, I want to go peddle next to the brake peddle, not in the trunk. Have to figure something out for that.
    Did a preliminary set up of the TV cables.
    Once the trans is back together, mounts and driveshaft back in I think its time to crank this puppy over and see if it starts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put everything back together and did the first start today. On the initial start, no oil pressure. Found a major error in the Ron Francis wiring harness, the 8 pin connector for the dash harness to the sending unit harness had the oil pressure and oil temperature wires swapped. Everybody needs to make sure you have continuity between sending units and the gauges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put everything back together and did the first start today. On the initial start, no oil pressure. Found a major error in the Ron Francis wiring harness, the 8 pin connector for the dash harness to the sending unit harness had the oil pressure and oil temperature wires swapped. Everybody needs to make sure you have continuity between sending units and the gauges.
    Wow, good to know.. I'll check those wires tonight. I'm still using a temp 3 gauge cluster from autozone
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a crazy week, the storm last Friday left us with out power for 4 days and brought down about half dozen trees on the property, so clean up has been the main focus.March082018 020.JPGMarch082018 018.JPGMarch082018 015.JPG But it snowed last night so that has stopped the clean up and let me get back in the garage. Installed the exhaust system this morning, took awhile to figure where everything went and make sure it all clears the frame, but worked out well.March082018 001.JPGMarch082018 002.JPGMarch082018 003.JPGMarch082018 004.JPG. Not sure if I have the e-brake cables run correctly, I do not like how close the drivers side cable is as its very close to the drive shaft, if it got cot in the universal, that would be very bad ! Going to make a bracket to make sure that does not happen.March082018 005.JPG. Couple of oher photos of where I am now.March082018 008.JPGMarch082018 009.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    So, you ran it? How did it sound?? Must'a been a big smile on your face?!?!?!
    We didn't have power for 3 days. I had the generator on the Cub Cadet, to small to run the whole house but I could keep the fridge / freezer cold and some lights or the heater... we made do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put everything back together and did the first start today.

It did not happen without video.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/Q1wruKVqd2kOK just to make believe its the first start, here's a quick video. Next is set the transmission pressure then put the floors in.

Post Thanks / Like
    OH that sounds nice! Congrats on the milestone!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick update, have not been able to get much done on the hot rod, my goal of go carting by the end of the month is out the window with the weather messing up the plans. Temps are more like February and storm # 3 took down 9 more trees, the property is a desaster and I am waiting for storm # 4 to start today, more wind and snow.
    But I was able to change the orinatation of the bolts that secure the streeing colum to allow full travel of the brake peddle and setting up a couple more gauges to monitor trans pressure and temp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates? Made any progress?
    I was thinking yesterday of getting a new battery in the coupe and maybe going for a spin.. Thought you might be ready to do the same!

Post Thanks / Like
    i was able to get back in the garage the past couple of days, the past month has been dealing with storm damage. I had been wondering if the coupe was ready to wake up after its winter sleep. Only thing I have done is install the trans tunnel and floor boards, dosnt seem like much but very time consuming, lots of rivets. Maybe get the seats mounted today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's good to hear that you've had some progress. More than me anyway! LOL..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast