Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Under Dash Layout

Post Thanks / Like

Under Dash Layout

Anyone have pics of there "under dash" layout (wiring harness, fuse block, AC lines, etc.)? Some ideas as I try to figure mine out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Some things best left to the imagination

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After seeing pics on some build threads, I think it's such a mess that no one wants to see it, or take pics of it lest they be reminded of the rats nest. Anxiety levels are already high without having to look at that mess...

Also I think the components that make up most of what goes under the dash is so different build to build that they are all different. Different gauges in different locations and layouts; different EFI systems or lack thereof; manual or power brake setups; cable or hydraulic clutch setups; heater and/or AC systems; audio components; power accessories; different switch options; there is so much variability .....

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new to the builder game but I'll comment from past experience.

Had two Superformance cars and it was a mess under the dash of these too, wasn't even a consistent mess from the two that I had and the SPF cars have about twice the depth from firewall to dash but they squeeze the wiring and heater with vents onto the space, it's crowded. As TxMike64 commented on the rat's nest, there's no getting around it. I give a lot of credit to the FFR builders for putting 10 pounds into a 5 pound space. It comes down to creative packaging with lots of planning.

A few things that I'm planning: Firewall forward, Speedhut gauges (slim profile) and wiring bundles, velcro wire bundling, multi-pin connectors, removable dash, ignition box in passenger footwell. It could take me years to get this all worked out and success will be fleeting.

Jim

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I would do different or may do again soon...
    1) Do not put the gauges in the way the manual says to. Put all gauges on a common sub panel that will insert into the dash as a unit. This is more friendly with the FFR supplied harness ( unless they changed it...again). The Ron Francis harness has a section I'll refer to as the cobra carry over. It allows for one plug on the whole gage set. This allows you to build and test the gauges as a group.
    2) Strip out the wires you don't need to reduce clutter.
    3) Use dual crimp connectors. One crimp is electrical and the other is mechanical on the insulation. Use shrink tube with different colors.
    4) There are conflicts with the manuals provided, your results will vary, depends on choices.
    5) I may consider a common terminal block so that all connections are at the same accessible physical location.
    6) Mark up your color drawing with changes as you go. make a color copy and mark that up. Leave the original for starting over later.
    7) Keep in mind that all you get is a wiring diagram, not a true electrical schematic. how your stuff actually functions may not be the way relays are set up on the fuse block.

The harness is a mess if you get the basic FFR supplied materials. just is, enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what everyone has said. Under the dash is really the only part of my build that I am "embarrassed" to show. It's pretty much a rat's nest. Since I used power brakes (which moves brake master cyl outside the firewall), I took the issue a step further by moving my fuse panel up under the removable driver-side cowl panel so that I could change fuses without laying on my back on the floor of the car. The harness was not really designed for this - so it makes shoving all those bundles of wires and connectors up into the tiny space between my ac evaporator, ac/defroster hoses, EFI computer, gauges, and steering column just that much tougher! Seems to work though - and by snipping about three cable ties, the whole bundle basically tumbles out onto the transmission tunnel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. No judgement here. It's information and pics like this that help future builders. All of you know that with this process comes information overload and a picture is worth a thousand words. It helps to give you the spatial layout that you may be looking for, especially when you begin merging products from multiple vendors. As many of these kits that have been sold, FFR should have 1000's of pictures available for their customers to give them ideas as well as consistent photos throughout there manual.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing I did was mount the fuse panel next to the steering column (automatic so no clutch pedal). Don't have to get under dash, just kneel down and the panel is right there.

I also made a hinged panel that folds down for access to the relays and transmission computer. When it folds up, all the switches are mounted to the front of the panel. There is minimal wiring to the dash, just the A/C and the gauges. The digital dash uses a can bus directly to the computer so that's minimal.

Attached Images Attached Images