BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wax removal for body work

Post Thanks / Like

Wax removal for body work

How do you tell when you have removed all the wax from the gel coat? I've gone over it a couple of times with wax remover, but can't tell much of a difference in the surface.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wax remover is a good place to start, but you may want to wash the body with "Liquid Tide" laundry detergent too.
    It is what my friend who owns a body shop, since 1978, uses prior to starting body work and priming any car.
    He said it gets grease out of cloths and wax off of cars.

Source Data:
    Dependable Paint & Body
    Slidell, La. 70458
    Established 1978
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-24-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use PPG products and use their MX190 or a generic equivalent wax and grease remover.

My initial cleaning method is:
    1) Scrub with wax & grease remover using green Scotchbrite then wipe with clean rags to pick up the residue.Those heavy paper shop rags that you can get by the box at Lowes or Home Depot work great for this You'll notice that as the wax breaks down it starts to take on a slightly milky appearance---this is what you want to swab up. Don't let it dry on the surface.
    2) Do a second wipe down with wax & grease remover using soaked rags following up with clean ones to pick up the residue.
    3) Scrub vigorously with Comet and Scotchbrite using warm water. This will start to scratch up and dull the gelcoat.
    4) Rinse well with warm water.

Note that this is pretty mindless work so feel free to add beer during or between any or all of these steps

All that said my pal Batty Miller says he skips all that and goes straight to scuffing the gelcoat; can't argue with his success but I just aint that brave (or maybe I just like being able to use the wax removal drill as yet another excuse to drink beer).

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I use PPG products and use their MX190 or a generic equivalent wax and grease remover.

My initial cleaning method is:
    1) Scrub with wax & grease remover using green Scotchbrite then wipe with clean rags to pick up the residue.Those heavy paper shop rags that you can get by the box at Lowes or Home Depot work great for this You'll notice that as the wax breaks down it starts to take on a slightly milky appearance---this is what you want to swab up. Don't let it dry on the surface.
    2) Do a second wipe down with wax & grease remover using soaked rags following up with clean ones to pick up the residue.
    3) Scrub vigorously with Comet and Scotchbrite using warm water. This will start to scratch up and dull the gelcoat.
    4) Rinse well with warm water.

Note that this is pretty mindless work so feel free to add beer during or between any or all of these steps

All that said my pal Batty Miller says he skips all that and goes straight to scuffing the gelcoat; can't argue with his success but I just aint that brave (or maybe I just like being able to use the wax removal drill as yet another excuse to drink beer).

Jeff
    Great Instruction, But Can I Drink Tequila Or Scotch Instead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Great Instruction, But Can I Drink Tequila Or Scotch Instead?
    Sure, but be careful if you're drinking silver tequila---the wax & grease remover is also clear so a mixup would be catastrophic. Not so much because of what the W & G remover would do to you if you swilled it but moreso because it would be such a waste of Patron Silver or Don Julio Blanco if you were to inadvertantly wipe it on the roadster body.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like