BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 289 USRRC - vspeeds - #9180 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Russ Thompson Turn Signal Mod

With the dash board in place, and with the bracket on the Russ Thompson turn signal, you cannot mount the turn signal through the dashboard. it requires you to place the turn signal assembly onto the dashboard as you are mounting the dashboard. During fitment, I managed to really scuff up the main tube of the turn signal as it was rubbing against the dashboard. The scuff marks are under the blue tape but you can see a little of it. The best way I've found to install was to remove the 2 rivets supporting the bracket, mount the dashboard then slide the turn signal down the steering shaft, then re-attach the bracket. So to make life a little easier, I have replaced the rivets with 10-24 rivnuts. As you can see in the picture, both rivnuts will clear the steering shaft. Then I milled out the spacers just a bit so the base of the rivnut would fit inside the spacer. Then I used a weatherpack connector to tie into the wiring harness. The pushbutton on the end of the turn signal arm is used for the speedometer/odometer reset button. For that I bought an extra plug/button switch from Speedhut and cut off the button and soldered the wires to the other end of the weatherpack connector. Now I'll have to touch up the scuff marks before permanent assembly.

build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Body off to get painted

Here is a build update. I have about 50 plus miles in go-kart stage. Everything seemed fine except I was getting a little grind when going into reverse in the TKO600. I did the "put in forward gear, then reverse" trick and it seemed to help. However, I decided to bleed the hydraulic throwout bearing one last time. In doing so, I forgot to secure and make sure the bleed hose line would not rub against the rotating clutch. Well it did and it caused the line to fail. This happened a few days before I was scheduled to bring the car to the paint shop. So the vehicle is now at the body/paint shop getting the doors, hood, and trunk hung and aligned. Then the body will be removed and next week, Feb. 12, 2019, I'll be able to tow the chassis back home to fix the hydraulic throwout bearing. The bleed hose line is permanently attached to the bearing and does not have a removable union at the bearing end. The only way to fix it is to remove the transmission! Since my install is not that complicated, I think it will be easiest to remove the engine and transmission altogether. So for time constraints I decided to replace the bearing with a new one rather than trying to repair the old one. I'm glad it is still in go kart stage as I'm not sure if I would want to remove the engine while the body is on. While the chassis is back home I'll also put most of the carpet in and finish the interior and dashboard. Then we'll tow the car back to the shop and hopefully in March/April, I'll have a completed and painted car.

Here are a few pics of the damaged bleed line as well as my practice dashboard setup. For the dashboard I'm copying EdwardB's build using 1/8" Volara sculpting foam and the DAP Weldwood contact cement. I also purchased faux leather "Symphony Classic-black" all from YourAutoTrim.com.

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I drained the coolant and transmission oil and removed the engine and transmission on 2/22/19 and replaced the HRB. The following day on the 23rd, we installed it back onto the chassis. It wasn't difficult but just time consuming. I was gone all week and was able to work on the car again today. Added transmission oil and coolant. I can't believe the price for the coolant $16 a gallon. That little mistake of not properly securing the HRB bleed line sure was a costly mistake. Today I started her up and took a ride around the neighborhood. Everything seems fine. No leaks or funny noises. Here is a photo of the ruptured bleed line.

Also a photo of the body at Ken Pikes.

Next is to complete the dashboard and install the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put another 4 gallons of fuel in and drove the go-kart. What a blast!

Last week I put on temporary turn signals and brake lights and drove around the neighborhood. I originally ditched the supplied trailer harness as I understand they do not work with the rear LED lights. So I originally wired in the diodes that were suggested. The diodes worked fine. However, the drawback is that they do not allow the flasher to flash when the rear brakes are applied. So I ended up purchasing a powered trailer converter and removed the diodes. It was pretty simple wiring conversion. I used the same connectors as the diodes and added a power wire and ground. The extra wires on the converter were just cut and capped. Now with the converter wired in, the turn signals and hazards flash when the brakes are applied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some photos of my dashboard. I don't know how some guys really tidy up the wiring behind the dash and make it look clean. I suppose I could cut, splice, solder, re-size everything. But that is too much for me to handle...and I skimped on the wire ties as I want to be able to access the gauges with the dashboard still on.

The dashboard was a blank that I drilled openings for. The supplies I got from wareaglescotts thread: yourautotrim.com. The covering is 1/8" thick volara foam and Symphony Classic Black faux leather. The glue I used was sprayed with Weldwood contact cement [by the way this is the stuff movie makers use when they burn people in cinema (with fireproof clothing of course)].

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie, I wish that I had kept up with your build thread better. Just caught up, and the situation that you had with the Russ Thompson turn signal unit was the same thing I was running into. I decided to call Russ to see if I was doing something wrong. Turns out, there's a small screw on the side with the turn signal arm, just below it actually. If you loosen it you can remove the large collar portion of the unit, leaving just the column. You can install the column, and the dash slides right over it, and just put the collar back on after the dash is on.
    As far as the wires behind the dash, I'm with you, too much to handle to clean it up!

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Eddie, I wish that I had kept up with your build thread better. Just caught up, and the situation that you had with the Russ Thompson turn signal unit was the same thing I was running into. I decided to call Russ to see if I was doing something wrong. Turns out, there's a small screw on the side with the turn signal arm, just below it actually. If you loosen it you can remove the large collar portion of the unit, leaving just the column. You can install the column, and the dash slides right over it, and just put the collar back on after the dash is on.
    As far as the wires behind the dash, I'm with you, too much to handle to clean it up!

Rick
    Ez$
    I saw that screw. I was too scared to remove it. I was thinking about calling Russ but I never did. Good to know that the assembly can be taken apart. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I started on the carpet installation. I decided to put carpet edging on the seams using the left-over faux leather from the dashboard. I wasn't too happy with the results, but I'm going to have to live with it for now. Actually the straight runs are good its just the radii and right angles that are all kinked up. However, the floor mats cover all that up. The trans tunnel cover is removable just aft of the center dash supports.I still have to figure out how i'm going to make the carpet transition from the tunnel to the fixed portion. Again that's because of the right angles and curves needed. I also made a shift boot cover with the left overs. That I'm happy with. Stitching the faux leather was pretty simple but the thick carpet was a lot harder than I anticipated. I also made aluminum panels to protect the carpet near the accelerator pedal and clutch area pedal foot rest. That was made with the cut out piece from the drop trunk mod.

9. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Eddie, I can't believe you sewed your own shift lever boot. Can I put in an order for one? LOL.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Looks good Eddie, I can't believe you sewed your own shift lever boot. Can I put in an order for one? LOL.
    Mark
    Let me know and I'll make you a shift boot.

Here is the e-brake boot I made by taking the original apart and using that as a pattern. In the picture you could see where I don't like the carpet transition from the removable Trans tunnel to the fixed portion under the center dash supports. I'm going to have to practice some more stitching and figure out how I'm going to make that look better.

Post Thanks / Like

Replaced Hydraulic Reservoirs

I originally used the hydraulic reservoir supplied with the complete kit (plus 2 purchased ones). I heard they leak but I went ahead and used them anyways. They leak at the area where the neck and the body meet. I figured if I don't fill the reservoirs up to the neck I'd be OK. Well they do leak and I didn't like that. Since the body is not on yet, I replaced the supplied reservoirs with the Wilwood ones. The drawback with the Wilwwods is the price. Also they have a weird thread size that you can't get fittings for. It has a -3AN fitting and I had to get a -3AN to -4AN fitting then a -4AN elbow to a 1/4"hose barb fitting to be able to use the existing hoses.

Post Thanks / Like

PCV Closed System

In California I'll need the closed PCV system in order to pass the BAR. I replaced the breather with this Trickflow brand unit. Then drilled out a hole in the bottom plate of the air cleaner and attached a bulkhead fitting. Then attached a PCV hose with an elbow. Hopefully this will pass inspection. I was originally just going to use this setup for inspection then remove it. But I like the Trickflow oil filler tube so I might just make this permanent. If so, Ill replace the hose clamps with better ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    My body is still at the shop awaiting paint. I have over 450 go kart miles on the odometer. Here is a quick video of starting it up and idling.

https://youtu.be/7A8o8L5d5XI

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I love that Roush engine. Your build looks really clean Eddie.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks and sounds great. Love that under car exhaust. Nice work.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    This engine has been sitting in my garage for the last several years

(old photo from computer resized)

I'm thinking I might change out the Holly carb and installing a bolt on FiTech EFI.
    I'm looking through this thread again.

I have to say that is the coolest steerable engine stand I've ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark and Steve. I cant wait to drive this thing when the body is finished.

CobraboyDR: that stand is cool. Unfortunately its not mine. It was made by the guys at Roush to show the engine. And Those are gocart wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    While I've been waiting for the body to get painted, I've gotten a little braver in go-carting. During normal driving everything seemed ok. However, lately Ive been driving a little more aggressive. I noticed when I make a sharp right turn carrying a little speed, the engine would stutter. When I was deciding on an in tank fuel pump. I heard the stock hanger with its 1/4" return line was too restrictive and with its outlet set up high in the hanger, the return fuel would aerate the fuel. I opted to not use the stack hanger. Instead I bought a fuel pump system which I had to drill a larger hole in the tank and dropped the assembly into the tank. The pickup was outside of the baffle. I was told that as long as the pickup sock touches fuel id be OK. Well without the baffle the fuel just sloshed which caused the stutter. Thanks to Brien (BB767) he showed me this improved hanger which has a 3/8" return line with a longer outlet which returns the fuel towards the bottom and within the fuel level itself which eliminates the aeration. It also has -6AN fuel fittings. This assembly would fit on the stock opening and would pickup the fuel in the stock tank baffle. The company website has a cool video to show the aeration caused by the stock hanger.

To fix the issue, I had to buy a new tank and the new hanger and I re-used the old pump. The old fuel lines just screwed into the -6AN fittings. Everything is now installed. I put another 20 miles on the car with no stutter at all. I wish I would have known about this product before as it would have saved me some $$$

Thanks Brien for showing me that hanger.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem Eddie! Can't wait to see you on the road!
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like

It's Painted!

The body was painted last Friday. Here are a few pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Eddie!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    And you thought it would never get done! Look at it now.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks stunning E! When will you get it back home? J

Post Thanks / Like
    The contours and body lines look great in that color. Great choice.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Can’t wait to see it all back together. Silver is a great choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Painted body is on chassis!

Here are a few more photos. The painted body is on the chassis. Ken did an exceptional job and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. We picked up the car and brought it back home on July 2. Unfortunately, i had to work on the 2nd. We brought the car back, drove around the block a few times and I parked it in the garage and I left for my 110 mile commute to work. I haven't been home yet. I'll be home tomorrow afternoon (July 6). I can't wait to start putting the cobra back together when i get home tomorrow.

28. Thanks CobraboyDR thanked for this post
    Likes CobraboyDR, Straversi, Badfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Like we’re on parallel tracks my friend. Mine came home from the paint shop on 28 June and it just rolled out the door of my garage all put back together this morning. My son and I went for a ride this afternoon but only for about a half hour because with 90 degree outside temperatures It’s about 120 in the cockpit.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the home stretch Eddie. Ken did a great job.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

31. Thanks Vspeeds thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am intrigued by your exhaust system. Did you post some pics of it somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful silver paint!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    Looks Like we’re on parallel tracks my friend. Mine came home from the paint shop on 28 June and it just rolled out the door of my garage all put back together this morning. My son and I went for a ride this afternoon but only for about a half hour because with 90 degree outside temperatures It’s about 120 in the cockpit.
    Yes we are on a parallel track and my number is only 8 ahead of yours (9180). These cars do get a little hot and uncomfortable but i look forward to be able to drive it this summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimtmich View Post
    Beautiful silver paint!

Thanks. The color is called Aston Martin Skyfall Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraboyDR View Post
    I am intrigued by your exhaust system. Did you post some pics of it somewhere?
    There are some pics posted in this thread. Post#106

Post Thanks / Like
    I got home from work on July 6th and started to put the car back together. The next day on July 7th I was able to drive it for the first time with the body on. Here are a couple of pictures of when I set the headlights and aimed them. Then I went for an evening drive. I still have to reinstall the oil cooler and a little more jewelry.

38. Likes Straversi, CobraboyDR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Door latch mod

My driver door got stuck today. I was able to open it with a little finesse. Further examination revealed the chrome latch handle came off of its center access rotating thingy. The picture shows it better than my explanation. Apparently this is a common issue and awhile back I saved the forum threads that fixed the problem. I didn't anticipate having to do this early as I only opened and closed the door less than 100 times. Just like the threads said; I used a 5/16 carriage bolt by 3/4" length, a washer, and a lock nut. The square part of the bolt fits perfectly in the rotating hinge. I did have to grind down a little material in the hinge so the washer would lay flush. I used lithium grease and put it all back together. Probably a ten minute fix for each latch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your narrow rear tire.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking build.. Job well done
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

42. Thanks Vspeeds thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Door Panels

I decided to make my own door panels. I used this Celtec brand expanded pvc stuff I had already at home. Its size is 1/8" thickness (not the thickness shown in the photo). I use this stuff for model making and I love it. The faux leather is left-overs from my dashboard. I bought elastic from Joanns Fabrics. This pocket on the driver side perfectly holds my ear plugs, gloves, and sunglass case, and there's room for more. I still have to complete the aluminum around the door threshold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few more pics. I still have to put the front grill on and some aluminum panels. I passed my Brake and Lamp inspection last week and I go to CHP on July 29 for VIN assignment.

45. Thanks CobraboyDR thanked for this post
    Likes CobraboyDR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost there Eddie! Nice clean look!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast