Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 289 USRRC - vspeeds - #9180 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    Hi Brien

This has been the hardest decision to make so far. Ive been analyzing my driving habits and noting the speeds at which i usually travel. I keep going back and forth on which gears to get. After talking to Mike Forte, I think I'll stick with my original plan with the TKO600 with .64 fifth gear. Forte does not have any in stock right now so I'll spend the rest of the week to ponder until he gets them in stock. As of now I'm pretty certain it will be the .64.
    If you have thought that hard about it I am sure it will be the right decision. I have been thinking more about it as well, every engine has slightly different power and torque bands, this will make a big difference in how well it works with your engine also. Unfortunately you will not know for sure if you made the right decision until they they are mated up, in the car, and driving. In the end either one will work fine, but hopefully you chose the one that is the best fit for you.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like

Testing starter motor

This afternoon I installed the starter motor. Here is a video of testing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnSqjdc6stA
    Last edited by Vspeeds; 09-30-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Sliding Seat Tracks - Driver Side

I wanted be able to adjust both seats so I purchased a Sparco brand seat track. I have never been able to tap a hole correctly so I decided to mount the tracks by bolting them to the steel plate under the seat. The two fronts are bolted to the plate and I used rivnuts to bolt the two rear ones to the square tube chassis. By doing this I had to narrow the width of the joining handle bar. Then I mocked up a wood plate on top of the tracks and mounted the seat to the plate. Once everything was lined up, I replaced the wood with 3/16 aluminum by 12"x13". The seat is not directly above the tracks but it seems pretty strong and stable. The only thing is I mounted the seat a little crooked to make sure I had door clearance and to make sure the seat still slides forward. In this position, the seat is more perpendicular to the steering wheel. In the last photo you could see how far the seat slides forward.

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Since my last update: I have bled the brakes using the harbor freight pneumatic bleeder. That thing works pretty good. I tried the manual way but the brakes seemed spongy. After using the pneumatic one, the brake pedal seems to feel good and firm.

I ran the battery cables and alternator cablers to a master switch. I also hung the rear electrical harness.

I ran the fuel lines. All of this is temporarily hung with clamps and clecos.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received the TKO 600. I removed the tab from the bottom using a reciprocating saw.

I changed out the shifter with a Pro 5.0 short shifter

I installed the Tilton Hydraulic Release Bearing and then mounted the tranny assembly onto the bell housing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I then mounted the BBK shortie headers using Reflex gaskets and Nord-Lock washers. The washers are sometimes used in aviation. The gasket is pretty thick but crushes down to 1/8 inch. I hope I'll have enough clearance from the header to the driver side footbox. I know it is a tight fit...but well see.

Post Thanks / Like
    All very, very nice. I used the same exhaust header gaskets and they seem to work fine regarding the driver's side foot box on the 289 FIA. Great to see your progress. Mine goes off to paint a week from tomorrow. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joel. Hopefully I’ll drop the engine in the next few days.

Off to paint...awesome. I cant wait to see it when paint is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some last minute things before my engine install. Put the e-brake pulleys on and added sound/heat barriers under the car. I have 2 layers for areas under the car seats. Both layers are thermo tec products. The first layer is the "Cool It" stuff with the tar type adhesive. This will also be on top of the aluminum panels in the cockpit as well. The 2nd layer under the car is the aluminum and fiberglass sheet. Hopefully all these layers will provide heat barrier as I'm planning to have a muffler under the seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Installation

With the help of a fellow FFR owner (#3099) Steve, we were able to get the engine/transmission installed. It took about 10 minutes. It could've been faster but we had a few minor issues. First I did a miscalculation. Before Steve came over I prepped the chassis outside in my driveway. I wanted to position the chassis so that when the hoist was moved into position the hoists wheels would not go over the concretes expansion joints. Well when I made my mental calculation, I had the hoist in the stored position with the folded legs up and only four wheels on the ground...I never took into consideration it really has 6 wheels. Needless to say when we positioned the engine over the chassis, the wheels hit the expansion joint. and we were just about an inch away from perfect. So we had to rock it a few times to get the wheels out of the joints. That and the fact that I did not have an engine hoist leveler made things a little tricky. All in all it was pretty straight forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the expansion tank before the engine installation. I made my measurements based off of other Factory Five cars and pictures with similar setups to mine. The measurements were made based off the F-panel. Well one of the first things I did when I started this project was I mounted the F-panel about an inch aft to give me better wheel clearance. Not remembering this modification placed my tank a little too close to the alternator. I'll just have to move it for better clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a bracket to hold a double male AN bulkhead fitting to attach my hydraulic throwout bearing to the master cylinder line.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also made my first AN fitting. This is part of the EFI fuel line. Having used the vice holder while screwing in the fitting; this was easier than I thought it would be.

Post Thanks / Like
    E, All very nice work! You are making great progress. I found that after I got the motor and transmission is, things went faster!!! It won't be long before you and I have our first 289 FIA rally in CA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pinion Angle

After reading several threads with guys with similar engine, tranny, rear end setups as mine, I anticipated the pinion angle to be off a little. I picked up a total of 3/4" spacers from Mike Forte to raise the transmission up to get a better angle to match the rear end (which is limited to how much it can be adjusted). The rear end is a 3 link with the Moser banana bracket pre-welded on to the shaft. I put the spacers on prior to installing the engine and transmission. With the car on the ground set with a 4.5 inch front and 5" rear ride height and with the 3/4' of spacers, the pinion angle is within limits. I made several measurements both mechanically and with the Tremec app on my iophone. Although the iPhone app measurements were not exactly the same, they all were within limits. I took measurements from the phone at different angles (upright, side, and different locations). The measurements were made on the ground at ride height and raised on jack stands. All were within limits. Now that the engine is in place, I may have a hood / air cleaner problem. We'll have to deal with that later if it comes up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still doing little things here and there. I noticed the outer panel of the driver side footbox was bowing in a little so I straightened it by riveting an aluminum angle bar( 1/16"x1/2"x3/4"). This straightened out the panel and allowed more room for my foot to stretch out between the dead pedal and clutch pedal.

I also started the electrical work. The 289 kit has the rectangle taillights with only 3 wires. Since I have to adjust the wiring from the harness (dieting?) I decided to remove the ( I think ugly looking) plastic wire loom and replaced it with a product called "Flexo F6 Quiet" braided sleeving.

The chassis was towed to a local muffler shop late Friday to have my Spintech undercar exhaust installed. While the chassis is still there over the weekend, I decided to mock up the front grill. I used 1 1/2" cardboard strips used for drywall shims. I like the look. Now I just have to figure out how to fabricate an outer shroud and be able to attach it to the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea if the Hawk 289 grill fits? Your mach up looks great.
    I look forward to seeing the under car exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimtmich View Post
    Jimtmich
    Thanks for reminding me about Hawk Cars in the UK. I totally forgot about them and I will look into that grill. Funny because my other hobby of making scale RC tug boats; a majority of my parts come from the UK and the Netherlands. Hopefully it fits. Even though the grill is a pretty simple part, i do not have the proper tools to cut and bend the aluminum cleanly.
    Im out of town and wont be able to pick up the chassis until 3 more days (12/4/18). Im looking forward to seeing the undercar exhaust also. I should be able to start it in a few days/week after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie,
    The build looks great! I love that Roush engine and that Tilton throw out bearing.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Eddie!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark. I like your mods on your build.

Thanks Chris. I,m just hoping my car turns out at least half as good of what your car is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie, great work on the mock up of the grill. I also am anxious to see your under car exhaust set up. I have seen that particular style of egg crate grill used before on the 289. Seems to me it is available from one of the other replicar vendors. Maybe ERA? Unique? I could be wrong about that. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joel. I’ll check those companys as well for the grill. I’m heading down to Newport Beach CA next week and will talk to Lance from Superformance in Irvine about the grill also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    Thanks Joel. I’ll check those companys as well for the grill. I’m heading down to Newport Beach CA next week and will talk to Lance from Superformance in Irvine about the grill also.
    The folks at ERA and Unique may also help with grills.
    Last edited by CobraboyDR; 12-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraboyDR View Post
    The foils at ERA and Unique may also help with grills.
    Ill check them out too. Hope all is well in the DR

Post Thanks / Like

Under Car Exhaust

A couple of weeks ago I had a local muffler shop put on my under car exhaust with Spintech mufflers. I have 2.5" round pipes at the collector to 3" oval under the car. Now I can't wait to fire this thing up. Hopefully I will in the next few days/weeks.

I should've had the body on when they installed it. When I set the body on Ill go back to the shop for an adjustment and to cut the tips.

27. Likes Straversi, CobraboyDR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive! Thank you for posting the pictures. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to the sound. I like what you've done with the exhaust.

Loud pipes are fun for a while, but they can get "exhausting."

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very period correct. Thanks for the pictures. What kind of ground clearance do you have this way? What heat materials did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Can't wait to hear the sound.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very period correct. Thanks for the pictures. What kind of ground clearance do you have this way? What heat materials did you use?
    The sheets of heat materials is Thermo Tec brand. I used two different kinds in layers. Photos of the stuff is in Post #89. I also used Vibrant Performance brand fiberglass shields for the rear brake line on the driver side and the fuel lines on the passenger side. 1/2" size and 3/4" size. Later on down the road I plan to ceramic coat the pipes and muffler and that might help shielding some heat.

With the ride height set from the ground to the bottom of the main frame rails it is 4.5" front and 5" back. Now with the mufflers on the lowest point gives 3" clearance where the tube transitions from round to oval. At the muffler it is 3.75" and at the tip it is 4". That is the height for both the driver and passenger sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a really creative approach for exhaust, very neat!
    PeteH

Post Thanks / Like
    When I picked up the car from the muffler shop they pointed out that my FF Metals battery box was hitting my upgraded Moser differential cover. I was so excited when the pinion angles lined right up when I dropped the engine/tranny that I neglected to check the clearance. I had several recommendations like changing the cover back to stock to shortening the wheelbase! I decided to shorten the bottom of the box by over 2.5 inches. However, the battery now sits above the trunk floor...but I could live with that. I'll build a removable shroud around the top section of the battery so that I can remove the battery in the trunk. I will monitor the vertical travel of the diff with a camera during go-karting. Hopefully 2.5 inches will suffice. I could easily raise the battery box up more if needed. The FF Metals is an excellent box. However, If I did a little more research before building, I would have probably put the battery in the engine compartment.

Post Thanks / Like

First Start

On December 22, 2018 I fired her up for the first time. I'm a little behind on the forum updates but I posted a video on the first start on a separate thread yesterday (12/26/18). I also took it out on my first go-kart yesterday! I'll post a video later. Here is the first start video:

https://youtu.be/j-thGMcANhI

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it does, perhaps with a little modifying. I purchased mine about 8 yrs ago. It's a work of art.

John O

Last edited by jolsen42; 12-31-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    FFR 1293K - First Factory Five slabside. Replica of CSX 2367. 289 Hi-Po, original Cobra dual quads manifold with original Carter 3258s and 3259s carbs, Dayton wire wheels, Tremec 5-speed, 355 trac-loc rear, original Amco Cobra luggage rack.

Post Thanks / Like

First go-kart

Here is a video of my first go-kart around my neighborhood. I don't think I went any faster than 30 mph. The steering wheel was loose and for the 2nd ride i had put on the Russ Thompson turn signal. Everything seems fine so far; engine, clutch, brakes, all good and no leaks.

https://youtu.be/pgS7AL52VXU

38. Thanks edtbjon thanked for this post
    Likes edtbjon liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations On Achieving This Major Milestone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Looks and sounds great. I love the under car exhaust. Nice work.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Eddie! Makes me anxious for some warmer, or at least dryer, weather.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I am really happy with the way it drives. I'm glad the clutch feels good and is not grabby. I haven't yet went any faster than 60 mph.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast