I don’t know what I just got myself into, but I have a 289 USRRC kit coming!

Several years ago I committed to a Superformance roadster, bought the roller and ordered an engine. Unfortunately, the law offices of Mr. Murphy showed up and I unexpectedly got demoted at work (budget cuts) and lost a lot of money in salary. Sadly I cancelled my car but the engine was already in production. So for the last several years I’ve had a Roush 427SR sitting in my garage.

Now today things are a little better. I’ve always known about FFR but never considered building a cobra until now. I have a good assortment of tools and I’ve wrenched on a few cars in the past, but as many people on this forum, I have had no previous experience in building a car. So last month in July I went to the “Build School” near Detroit. After the class I felt confident and said to myself I could totally build this thing. When I got back home I did a little more research and ordered my kit on July 25, 2017; just in time to take advantage of the summer sale. The FFR completion date is August 19, 2017 and I’ll have Stewart Transport to haul it over to California.

So now that I’m committed to the FFR 289, Mr. Murphy shows up again…my commuter car died and I was forced to buy a new commuter car, a Toyota Prius. I know…but my commute from the Sacramento area to San Francisco is over 100 miles. Thats over a 200 mile roundtrip commute and the Prius just makes sense. So the budget I had saved for the build is pretty much gone. However, I’ll just take my time and just buy the additional parts needed as I save my pennies…or, if I get too anxious I just might take out a loan.

Here is what I ordered:

289 Complete Kit
12189 - powder coated chassis
15759 - body cutouts (minus roll bar and fuel cap)
13939 - original style vinyl seats
16004 - vintage FFR gauges MPH GPS
15774 - 289 USRRC style trunk with no bumps
34113 - 2 extra brake reservoir components
12049 - wind wings
12042 - sun visors
15549 - vintage wiper kit
16116 - front swaybar
13673 - oil cooler kit
15154 - floor mats
11194 - blank dash
11195 - remote battery terminals
15659 - assembled side louver set
12012 - over-rider bumper kit
16204 - Moser 8.8 - 3 link rear end
16285 - rear brake kit - 11.65” rotors

I’m planning on using a Quicktime Bell housing with Tilton Hydraulic throwout bearing and Tilton clutch cylinder on a Tremec TKO600. McLeod clutch. I already have a Roush 427SR engine.

I’m attempting to have a look similar to the original AC cars. So I’m also planning:

15” Dayton wire wheels ( I realize there’s a lot of HP going to those wire wheels but I already have the engine)
Custom under car exhaust but exiting on the sides in front of the rear wheels
no roll bar
over rider bumpers
Change the 289 race gauge layout to the SC dash layout
rear luggage rack
maybe a custom tonneau cover but the car will have the lift a dots

Also I’m gonna purchase several build items from some of the vendors.

So thats my plan. Like I said earlier, I don’t know what I got myself into but I’ll take it one step at a time. I’m looking forward to experience this journey.