Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 289 USRRC - vspeeds - #9180 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

289 USRRC - vspeeds - #9180 Build Thread

I don’t know what I just got myself into, but I have a 289 USRRC kit coming!

Several years ago I committed to a Superformance roadster, bought the roller and ordered an engine. Unfortunately, the law offices of Mr. Murphy showed up and I unexpectedly got demoted at work (budget cuts) and lost a lot of money in salary. Sadly I cancelled my car but the engine was already in production. So for the last several years I’ve had a Roush 427SR sitting in my garage.

Now today things are a little better. I’ve always known about FFR but never considered building a cobra until now. I have a good assortment of tools and I’ve wrenched on a few cars in the past, but as many people on this forum, I have had no previous experience in building a car. So last month in July I went to the “Build School” near Detroit. After the class I felt confident and said to myself I could totally build this thing. When I got back home I did a little more research and ordered my kit on July 25, 2017; just in time to take advantage of the summer sale. The FFR completion date is August 19, 2017 and I’ll have Stewart Transport to haul it over to California.

So now that I’m committed to the FFR 289, Mr. Murphy shows up again…my commuter car died and I was forced to buy a new commuter car, a Toyota Prius. I know…but my commute from the Sacramento area to San Francisco is over 100 miles. Thats over a 200 mile roundtrip commute and the Prius just makes sense. So the budget I had saved for the build is pretty much gone. However, I’ll just take my time and just buy the additional parts needed as I save my pennies…or, if I get too anxious I just might take out a loan.

Here is what I ordered:

289 Complete Kit
    12189 - powder coated chassis
    15759 - body cutouts (minus roll bar and fuel cap)
    13939 - original style vinyl seats
    16004 - vintage FFR gauges MPH GPS
    15774 - 289 USRRC style trunk with no bumps
    34113 - 2 extra brake reservoir components
    12049 - wind wings
    12042 - sun visors
    15549 - vintage wiper kit
    16116 - front swaybar
    13673 - oil cooler kit
    15154 - floor mats
    11194 - blank dash
    11195 - remote battery terminals
    15659 - assembled side louver set
    12012 - over-rider bumper kit
    16204 - Moser 8.8 - 3 link rear end
    16285 - rear brake kit - 11.65” rotors

I’m planning on using a Quicktime Bell housing with Tilton Hydraulic throwout bearing and Tilton clutch cylinder on a Tremec TKO600. McLeod clutch. I already have a Roush 427SR engine.

I’m attempting to have a look similar to the original AC cars. So I’m also planning:

15” Dayton wire wheels ( I realize there’s a lot of HP going to those wire wheels but I already have the engine)
    Custom under car exhaust but exiting on the sides in front of the rear wheels
    no roll bar
    over rider bumpers
    Change the 289 race gauge layout to the SC dash layout
    rear luggage rack
    maybe a custom tonneau cover but the car will have the lift a dots

Also I’m gonna purchase several build items from some of the vendors.

So thats my plan. Like I said earlier, I don’t know what I got myself into but I’ll take it one step at a time. I’m looking forward to experience this journey.

2. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome! And trust me, you will make it work. I made a budget and am forcing myself to stick to it. Through advice of the forum members and some elbow grease, you can save some money. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Always glad to see another 289 being built,. This Saturday should be like Chrismas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and as well, good luck. My 289 build is progressing nicely albeit a little slow due to nothing more that time constraints and too many other interests and hobbies!!! Budget? What's a budget? I am in the north bay area somewhat close to you. Would love to see your car when it arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    I don’t know what I just got myself into, but I have a 289 USRRC kit coming!

Several years ago I committed to a Superformance roadster, bought the roller and ordered an engine. Unfortunately, the law offices of Mr. Murphy showed up and I unexpectedly got demoted at work (budget cuts) and lost a lot of money in salary. Sadly I cancelled my car but the engine was already in production. So for the last several years I’ve had a Roush 427SR sitting in my garage.

Now today things are a little better. I’ve always known about FFR but never considered building a cobra until now. I have a good assortment of tools and I’ve wrenched on a few cars in the past, but as many people on this forum, I have had no previous experience in building a car. So last month in July I went to the “Build School” near Detroit. After the class I felt confident and said to myself I could totally build this thing. When I got back home I did a little more research and ordered my kit on July 25, 2017; just in time to take advantage of the summer sale. The FFR completion date is August 19, 2017 and I’ll have Stewart Transport to haul it over to California.

So now that I’m committed to the FFR 289, Mr. Murphy shows up again…my commuter car died and I was forced to buy a new commuter car, a Toyota Prius. I know…but my commute from the Sacramento area to San Francisco is over 100 miles. Thats over a 200 mile roundtrip commute and the Prius just makes sense. So the budget I had saved for the build is pretty much gone. However, I’ll just take my time and just buy the additional parts needed as I save my pennies…or, if I get too anxious I just might take out a loan.

Here is what I ordered:

289 Complete Kit
    12189 - powder coated chassis
    15759 - body cutouts (minus roll bar and fuel cap)
    13939 - original style vinyl seats
    16004 - vintage FFR gauges MPH GPS
    15774 - 289 USRRC style trunk with no bumps
    34113 - 2 extra brake reservoir components
    12049 - wind wings
    12042 - sun visors
    15549 - vintage wiper kit
    16116 - front swaybar
    13673 - oil cooler kit
    15154 - floor mats
    11194 - blank dash
    11195 - remote battery terminals
    15659 - assembled side louver set
    12012 - over-rider bumper kit
    16204 - Moser 8.8 - 3 link rear end
    16285 - rear brake kit - 11.65” rotors

I’m planning on using a Quicktime Bell housing with Tilton Hydraulic throwout bearing and Tilton clutch cylinder on a Tremec TKO600. McLeod clutch. I already have a Roush 427SR engine.

I’m attempting to have a look similar to the original AC cars. So I’m also planning:

15” Dayton wire wheels ( I realize there’s a lot of HP going to those wire wheels but I already have the engine)
    Custom under car exhaust but exiting on the sides in front of the rear wheels
    no roll bar
    over rider bumpers
    Change the 289 race gauge layout to the SC dash layout
    rear luggage rack
    maybe a custom tonneau cover but the car will have the lift a dots

Also I’m gonna purchase several build items from some of the vendors.

So thats my plan. Like I said earlier, I don’t know what I got myself into but I’ll take it one step at a time. I’m looking forward to experience this journey.
    That is very much what I'm aiming for, but with a SBF & IRS. I also want an eggcrate grill.

I look forward to your build!

This is an ERA version of what I'd like:

Seems AC built a few street cars on the FIA platform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on pulling the trigger on a new USRRC build!

If it turns out anything like the ERA above you'll have quite a beautiful car when done!

I bought parts as I went rather than purchasing everything in advance. Easier on the wallet that way.

I don't have any experience with the Tilton Hyraulic TB. Is it internal or external? I had an internal one and to adjust it I had to tear the whole tranny out. I switched it out to the Fortes external HTB. Easy to adjust and super smooth...

If the McCloud clutch is like mine (I went with a McCloud clutch and aluminum flywheel) you MIGHT want to rethink that for a street car. Especially with wire wheels. I'd think a race clutch with a 427 behind it might rip those wheels apart. No experience in that department, but if it was my setup I'd worry about it. Again, I switched out to a Spec and reattached the original steel flywheel. A smooth clutch and heavier flywheel will help you modulate power delivery. IMHO.

Again, congrats. You are about to embark on an epic journey!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Congratulations on pulling the trigger on a new USRRC build!

If it turns out anything like the ERA above you'll have quite a beautiful car when done!

I bought parts as I went rather than purchasing everything in advance. Easier on the wallet that way.

I don't have any experience with the Tilton Hyraulic TB. Is it internal or external? I had an internal one and to adjust it I had to tear the whole tranny out. I switched it out to the Fortes external HTB. Easy to adjust and super smooth...

If the McCloud clutch is like mine (I went with a McCloud clutch and aluminum flywheel) you MIGHT want to rethink that for a street car. Especially with wire wheels. I'd think a race clutch with a 427 behind it might rip those wheels apart. No experience in that department, but if it was my setup I'd worry about it. Again, I switched out to a Spec and reattached the original steel flywheel. A smooth clutch and heavier flywheel will help you modulate power delivery. IMHO.

Again, congrats. You are about to embark on an epic journey!

I agree about the wire wheels with a grabby clutch an a big hp engine.

Wire wheels are mega-cool, but not for a big torque race car. I'd consider the FIA pin drive wheels for that set-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that ERA photo is exactly what I wanna accomplish. I considered the pin drive wheels but I already made the decision and bought the regular width axles to accommodate the wire wheels. If those wire wheels don't hold up I'll go with the FFR bolt on wheels or something similar.

The Tilton HRB is internal and I'm debating on getting the Fortes external one for ease of adjustability. For the clutch and flywheel, I still have to figure that out combo out.

Thanks for the input guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    CobraboyDR
    I considered the IRS but the system wouldn't work with 15" wheels. I know there is a workaround but I didn't want to have to deviate and deal with that level of added complexity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, yes! another 289! . I'm filling/block sanding mine as we speak. I went with a Wilwood external slave for the clutch, I didn't want to have to pull the trans for any issues. Works great from the little I've driven it. If driven hard, the splines on those wire wheels and the spline hub themselves will wear to a knife edge, and can shear. If driven normally, they'll be ok.
    Enjoy the build!

Post Thanks / Like
    If driven normally! Thats going to test my discipline. It'll be a challenge!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
    Congrats, yes! another 289! . I'm filling/block sanding mine as we speak. I went with a Wilwood external slave for the clutch, I didn't want to have to pull the trans for any issues. Works great from the little I've driven it. If driven hard, the splines on those wire wheels and the spline hub themselves will wear to a knife edge, and can shear. If driven normally, they'll be ok.
    Enjoy the build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean, we all still have some juvenile tendencies now and then, regardless of age! I've had new Dayton wire wheels & splines on a big Healey for 18 years, and even though I drive it "spiritedly", they're holding up well. But that is taking all of 167 ft lbs of torque. Cleaning them thoroughly takes patience.
    But there is no better look to my taste, they're beautiful and classy.

Post Thanks / Like

Uploading photos - Test 1

This is a test to see if I uploaded pictures correctly.

This guy arrived yesterday. The first piece of my puzzle.

(DSLR photo resized 1024x768)

This is my workspace

(DSLR photo resized 1024x768)

And all those boxes on the back wall will go to my storage shed which I just built this year in preparation for a "possible" Cobra build.

(old photo taken from iPhone resized to 1024x768)

Post Thanks / Like
    CobraboyDR
    I considered the IRS but the system wouldn't work with 15" wheels. I know there is a workaround but I didn't want to have to deviate and deal with that level of added complexity.
    I understand Levy has a fairly simple bolt-on solution. The issue, as I understand, is rear brake clearance. Not sure about the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that ERA photo is exactly what I wanna accomplish. I considered the pin drive wheels but I already made the decision and bought the regular width axles to accommodate the wire wheels. If those wire wheels don't hold up I'll go with the FFR bolt on wheels or something similar.

The Tilton HRB is internal and I'm debating on getting the Fortes external one for ease of adjustability. For the clutch and flywheel, I still have to figure that out combo out.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Are the wire wheels bolt on? Which model?

(GReat minds, and all that. I can't get the look of that ERA out of my head...)

Post Thanks / Like

Uploading Photos - Test2

This engine has been sitting in my garage for the last several years

(old photo from computer resized)

I'm thinking I might change out the Holly carb and installing a bolt on FiTech EFI.

18. Likes 2FAST4U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraboyDR View Post
    Are the wire wheels bolt on? Which model?

(GReat minds, and all that. I can't get the look of that ERA out of my head...)
    They are 72 spoke cross lace knock offs

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks awesome. A true sports touring build. The chrome will look great on this car. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Especially without a roll bar!

If driven normally! Thats going to test my discipline. It'll be a challenge!

Post Thanks / Like
    my commute from the Sacramento area to San Francisco is over 100 miles. Thats over a 200 mile roundtrip commute
    Dear. God.

I've heard California is home to some epic commutes. Can't imagine that.

Welcome to the 289 club. When I picked mine up there weren't many sold, that seems to have changed quite a bit in the last 18 months...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness! Your build plan sounds great!

I'm moving to Redding in a few months. You're welcome to come see my custom 289 FIA, have some lunch, and talk cars

Post Thanks / Like
    They are 72 spoke cross lace knock offs
    What sizes?

I LOVE your build...

Do you have a color in mind?

Post Thanks / Like
    CobraboyDR
    The standard wheel sizes Im looking at are 15x7 and 15x8. The wheels are pretty pricey so Ill most likely stick with standard sizes rather than custom sizes with custom backspace/offsets.

Color is going to be dark. Im thinking either black or really dark blue. There is a Ferrari blue that ive always liked. I think ehanson007 did his in the Ferrari blue I like.

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit was ready on August 19th. I'm still waiting for the phone call from Stewart transport. I built this chassis dolly in the mean time. I got the dimensions and design from threads on this forum. Although, I modified them a bit.

Hopefully I'll get the call from the transport driver soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Earlier today I received a call from driver Don from Stewart Transport. He said my kit is on his truck and he's on his way. He said I should expect delivery around September 12 or 13, 2017. Now I'm really getting excited.

Post Thanks / Like

My kit Arrived today!

My kit arrived today! It was a smooth process. Don, the driver from Stewart Transport was awesome. He kept me informed and was right on schedule.

After delivery I was real busy at home. Didn't even get a chance to really go over it, however I did start the inventory this evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    And now the fun begins! Good for you! I am about four months ahead of you regarding the progress of my 289. Are there others in California working on 289 builds? I'm in Sacramento often for work. Maybe we can connect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Seeing the fresh body with the order sticker on it brings fond memories of the trip to FF to pick mine up. As Joel says, the fun now begins! I'm ready for first prime, and have shared many pics with Joel for the dips waves and fitment issues. send your email in a pm and I'll be glad to forward. One of these days I'll have to retrain this old dog the new trick of uploading pictures directly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not just the fresh body, the clean garage brings back memories...

Congrats and make sure you have the latest documentation.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
    Congratulations! Seeing the fresh body with the order sticker on it brings fond memories of the trip to FF to pick mine up. As Joel says, the fun now begins! I'm ready for first prime, and have shared many pics with Joel for the dips waves and fitment issues. send your email in a pm and I'll be glad to forward. One of these days I'll have to retrain this old dog the new trick of uploading pictures directly.
    Pete
    I sent you a PM. Thanks
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    PeteH
    I received your email photos. Thanks for including me in the loop

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Japollon
    If ever your in the Sacramento area, please feel free to call me. I'm in Elk Grove. I sent you a pm awhile back with my phone number.

Post Thanks / Like
    This engine has been sitting in my garage for the last several years

(old photo from computer resized)

I'm thinking I might change out the Holly carb and installing a bolt on FiTech EFI.
    Hey Eddie,

Now that is a beautiful engine!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally found some time today to start working on the kit. I began by running a sharpie pen along the inside body and marked the aluminum panels for trimming to get a more uniform gap between the body and aluminum panels ( it's late and I hope that made sense.)

I also made the body buck. I placed a plywood board on top of the body and made sure it was level. Then I made this little contraption to trace out the rough shape of the body onto the board. I cut the plywood a little smaller to compensate for the difference between the upper and interior body. I then mounted the cut and shaped plywood onto an OSB board and finished the rest of the body buck. I then removed both doors, the hood, and the trunk. I removed the body, placed it on the buck, and called it a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I started on removing the aluminum panels. In an attempt to not lose the rivet spacing tool, I painted it so it would stick out amongst the other aluminum pieces. I painted it halfway across so it also helps me easily determine the proper side to use.

My plan is to mark, remove, drill, and fit the panels before removing them for the build. Then once removed, I'll send them off to be powder coated.

Here is the F-panel. With the advise of a fellow FFR owner, I moved the panel aft about an inch. On the roadster it helps with wheel clearance and better geometry to fiddle with the elephant ears when its time to install it. On the 289 with the body still on, I played around with the elephant ears and by moving it back I think it made them fit better...we'll see when the time comes to install them.

Here is the driver side footbox. There sure are a lot of rivets. I hope they all align together when I re-assemble them.

That's all I accomplished today...2 F-panels and the driver footbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    My build is starting off a lot slower than I anticipated. I've been really busy lately with work and family and extended family. I have a few friends who lost their homes in the Napa Valley/Santa Rosa fires. I also have a few more friends still hoping and praying the fire would miss them. This past week I've devoted my time with them.

This week I've been receiving boxes of my backordered parts: LCA's, radiator, some hose fittings, lower body mount, and some other small items. Still waiting for the windshield and door lock mechanisms.

I'm still in the process of removing the aluminum panels. I'm too tired to do the panels tonight, but I did work on my car for about 20 minutes. I used my dremel tool to cut grooves into the bushings of the lower control arms. This was a tip I learned at the build school.

Post Thanks / Like
    My build is starting off a lot slower than I anticipated. I've been really busy lately with work and family and extended family. I have a few friends who lost their homes in the Napa Valley/Santa Rosa fires. I also have a few more friends still hoping and praying the fire would miss them. This past week I've devoted my time with them.

This week I've been receiving boxes of my backordered parts: LCA's, radiator, some hose fittings, lower body mount, and some other small items. Still waiting for the windshield and door lock mechanisms.

I'm still in the process of removing the aluminum panels. I'm too tired to do the panels tonight, but I did work on my car for about 20 minutes. I used my dremel tool to cut grooves into the bushings of the lower control arms. This was a tip I learned at the build school.
    Why the grooves?

Post Thanks / Like
    CobraboyDR
    The grooves are to prevent the bushings from annoyingly squeeking against the steel. It allows for the grease to enter the grooves to help lubricate. The upper arms already have them from the factory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finishing up the aluminum panels. I still have to cut the trunk for the FFMetal battery box which is coming in the mail tomorrow. I also want to get the Russ Thompson drop trunk but I haven't sourced that yet. That should almost complete the aluminum panels, then off to powder coat. I'm also going to get a fan shroud but I don't think I'll powder coat that.

I'm going to put a footbox vent in but haven't decided if I'll have a gated shutoff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started on the front suspension. I made sure the F panels could be attached at a later time. I started with the LCA's. It was a little tight for the bolts because of the powder coating. Instead of just hammering the bolts in, I used a little file to clear the powder coat from the opening.

One upper ball joint went into the assembly easily while the other I had to use the vise just like in the instructions.

After I torqued both hubs onto the spindles I thought I stripped the spindle threads. Then I realized they both look the same. Hopefully this is normally how they look and hopefully I didn't screw up.

If I didn't screw up, I have to borrow a torque wrench and torque the bolt down and place the cap on. Then on went the shocks. I temporarily installed the front brakes and called it a day.

43. Likes 2FAST4U liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast