Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Coupe- Canada Build

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coupe- Canada Build

Hi Everyone!!! Really excited!! I just sold my AC Auto Cobra. I built it and owned it for 12 years. It was a tough decision but i knew i wanted to build something else. So i have decided that i would like to build a Gen 3 Daytona coupe from Factory Five.

So i am doing my due diligence. I have confirmed that i can get insurance from Zehrs in New Hamburg.

Has anyone in the last couple of years registered their coup or cobra in Ontario? Were there any issues.

My thoughts were that as soon as i received the kit and the certificate of origin, i could take that, my PST receipt from the border, and go to the MTO and get my ownership with the car "as is" condition.

So i can only import a starter kit. Can anyone provide me where i can go get the remainder of the parts need to top it up to a base kit or complete kit. I hear there is a place in Sudbury called Valance Custom Cars but i've done a search with no luck.

I would really hate to end up with lawn art if i can get it registered in Ontario. When i registered my Cobra in 2007, it was so simple. As is and just like i said above.

Looking forward to beginning my build with you all. Making New Friends and getting lots of advice from silly questions. Here is a picture of my Cobra. It has a 1963 1/2 Ford 427 from a Galaxie/Fairlaine. 4spd toploader, dual 650 holly carbs.

IMG_20140621_100422.jpg

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings from Georgia, USA! Your Cobra looks gorgeous so am assuming that your Gen 3 coupe will be stunning as well. I'm sending you a phone number for Mike Jones. He has built a Gen 1 coupe and I'm pretty sure he lives in Ontario. He's a great guy and should be an excellent resource for you.

BTW, I had a Gen 1 coupe, #031. Had 18,000 miles on it when I sold it. I've got a Gen 3 coupe on delayed delivery as we're putting our house up for sale so won't have a shop to work in for a while.
    Mike Jones
    (705)790-7101

Hope this helps,
    Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike is in Barrie, Ontario.

As for the Canadian completion kit, try Whitby Motorcars, or Levy Racing.

The great folks at Factory Five can walk you through the process of getting the everything to your house. Its not a difficult process, just takes a bit of effort.

What are you planning for a drive train?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I am in Alberta and working on a Gen 3 coupe. Mine is #16 and it was shipped here in April. I have the "Canadian" kit with the completion parts from Whitby Motorcars, engine. transmission and brakes from Levy Racing. I have not resgistered it yet and my process in Alberta will be different than yours. The biggest issue so far is getting all the parts and correct parts, I ordered the completion kit in Feb and it took about 10-12 weeks to arrive and I am still missing a few parts and it is not Whitby's fault. I will not go into details here other than to say Jeff and FFR are working it out for me, just takes time to get stuff shipped.
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Mike is in Barrie, Ontario.

As for the Canadian completion kit, try Whitby Motorcars, or Levy Racing.

The great folks at Factory Five can walk you through the process of getting the everything to your house. Its not a difficult process, just takes a bit of effort.

What are you planning for a drive train?

Hi Dave, I am planning on going original so it will be a 1965 289 with Weber carbs naturally aspirated. Instead of a 4 spd toploader, i think i am going to what factory 5 already has set up with a 5 spd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David!!! I will be contacting Whitby Motorcars. They are only 2 hours away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, im ordering the 4 link rear suspension. it work fantastic with my Cobra. The 8.8 rear end solid axle, does it just bolt up in the Gen 3 or does it need modification?

does the rear brakes come with the complete kit from Whitby? Doesn't seem to be that many parts for over 5 grand US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Automan

Where u located.
    Im in Kitchener and got a coupe.

steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The parts from Whitby make the "Canadian" kit the same as the US "complete" kit
    The frame is different for each back suspension design the same as the Cobra so a 4 link will bolt in.
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    So, being in Ontario, if i was to order from Whitby and get it delivered to my home, would that be to risky or an infraction according to the ministry of transportation? What should i do if it is?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smaly View Post
    Hello Automan

Where u located.
    Im in Kitchener and got a coupe.

steve
    Hey Steve, Im in Waterloo LOL. Here is my email, [email protected]. Please contact me. Would love to see your car and rack your brain lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    So here it goes.
    This is what I did once I got my coupe home.
    Ordered a lot of parts that I needed from FFR online parts cataloge.
    It was delivered to my home without any duty or additional charges.
    Motor and brakes came from Levy racing and more from Fortey parts.

Good luck.
    steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smaly View Post
    So here it goes.
    This is what I did once I got my coupe home.
    Ordered a lot of parts that I needed from FFR online parts cataloge.
    It was delivered to my home without any duty or additional charges.
    Motor and brakes came from Levy racing and more from Fortey parts.

Good luck.
    steve
    Thanks Steve, Im trying to decide whether to order from Whitby or Valins out of Sudbury for my complete kit upgrade. What colour is your Gen 2? Is it on the road? can you post a pic?
    Email me!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Everyone: Just wanted to give everyone an update as to where i am in the process of getting my Gen #3 imported into Canada. Ipaid for my kit in full and received the paperwork from Factory 5. On September 7th i sent the paperwork to the Ministry of Transportation. They were very quick to reply that they have received the paperwork and the process will take 4-6 weeks before i receive my letter allowing me to import it. In the mean time i have found and paid for a 1965 289 that came out of a Falcon. The person pulled the engine out and rebuilt her but decided to go with something else. It has been on a engine stand for over 20 years. Never cranked up after the rebuild. I paid 465.00 CDN for her. I think that was a great deal. Opened up the valve covers and man, clean, and all new. She is tight to turn over by hand so i will disassemble her, put in a 280 comp cam and go from there. Plan on putting in Webers for carb system. That's going to take a little cash.

Order my parts also through Valin's Custom Cars in Sudbury. So now i have the part that almost makes a complete kit. About another 3000.00 will make it a complete kit. No rush there.

My kit is ready for pick up October 14th but without the letter, its all mute.

I also picked up a new 2018 Car hauler to go pickup my kit. 8.5x20 enclosed. Be a good place to store my parts during the build too.

Will post pics when i can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Everyone, Got a question on the GEN #3 front brakes. So i am ordering the hub assembly from Valin's in Sudbury. But i want to get the 11 inch front brake system locally. Hoping on saving alittle money. What year and make should i order for the front brake system. 11 inch rotors and pads with Dual caliper pistons. Also the front flex lines.

Thankyou

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, just stumbled on this post - I'm in Southern Ontario as well, the build is happening in Hespler at my fathers garage. I can't help with your brake question (we have a Gen 2 and went with Wilwoods) - just to let you know there are other Daytonas in Ontario!

I have ours insured through Zehr as well, they were very helpful.
    We go to paint this summer and plan to be driving in the fall (fingers crossed).

Check out the blog in my signature if you want to see more on our build.

Cheers
    Jonas
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Automan - I have the complete kit front brake setup new in the box sitting in the basement including the flex lines. I have the Wilwood brakes so these are extra. I did use the caliper mount bolts but they are standard cap screws so easy to get. Not sure what shipping from Alberta will be but maybe we can work something out. let me know if you are interested. Also a bunch of other parts, Engine mounts, fuel filter, hoses and mounting bracket.
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey David, please email at [email protected]. Maybe we can work something out.

thankyou

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jonas, Could you list out step by step how you got the ownership for your Daytona.

Thankyou
    Automan

Post Thanks / Like
    Question everyone. When you ordered Front hub and Spindles, Did you order the SN95 style or factory 5 MK style that bolt up to the upper control arm directly?

Deciding which way to go.

thanks
    Automan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Automan View Post
    Hi Jonas, Could you list out step by step how you got the ownership for your Daytona.

Thankyou
    Automan
    Hey man - no problem. The odd thing is that this process has been a bit different for everyone that I have talked too (From Type-33, 818's and Cobras)

- 1st make sure that you have all of your border paperwork including the tax receipt, FFR documentation and all of the purchased parts outside of the kit (the suspension, engine, transmission, brakes etc etc). The MTO needs to know that you imported CART PARTS, not a kit car (because those are technically illegal), so they will want to see all of the parts listed.

- When you talk to the MTO, be careful about the level of completion that you mention. The MTO person that I talked to did not want to issue me an ownership without the car being complete - HOWEVER - they have no measure of what 'complete' means. I asked, does complete mean a driving car? Does complete mean running but getting ready for paint?. I told them that it starts and rolls and that seemed to be enough to comply (no proof mind you). Note that missing any of the parts documentation above may lead to them believing that your car is not 'complete'. How do you have a complete car with no receipt for the transmission (for example).

- note that you are registering a 2017 new VIN, not a vintage car or replica VIN. There is a difference.

- That should be it. It took a few trips to figure this out and lots of papers that the MTO copied and sent into their offices, but I now have an ownership with a VIN that mirrors my FFR build chassis number.

EDIT - PS - I should mention that you should expect a complete blank stare from the MTO officer the first time you try this. It's way out of the norm for them and they will have to get out the instruction books....pray they are not cranky.

Let me know if you have more questions,
    Cheers
    Jonas
    Last edited by SingleMaltWSKY; 03-08-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou Jonas!!!!

Did you ever bought any parts from kijiji? I bought my engine off of kijiji. All i have is the email. No receipt. But i do have the receipt from the engine re builders with all of the parts.

Did you ever buy parts off of ebay out of the states? did that flag anything?

or other parts from the States and get it shipped up here?

Which MTO did you go to in Kitchener/Waterloo? Second time around might eliminate blank stare lolol.

Thanks
    again
    Automan
    Last edited by Automan; 03-09-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Automan View Post
    Thankyou Jonas!!!!

Did you ever bought any parts from kijiji? I bought my engine off of kijiji. All i have is the email. No receipt. But i do have the receipt from the engine re builders with all of the parts.

Did you ever buy parts off of ebay out of the states? did that flag anything?

or other parts from the States and get it shipped up here?

Which MTO did you go to in Kitchener/Waterloo? Second time around might eliminate blank stare lolol.
    I'm in London Ontario and went to the MTO nearest to me. It took more than one trip (due to the whole 'completion' thing), but it did work out in the end.

I haven't purchase anything off Kijiji, so I'm not sure how to guide here - however the MTO folks didn't seem to pay much attention to where my parts came from. They did however make copies of all of my documentation, so make sure you have as much of the paperwork as possible. If you purchased parts in the states they will want to see that you paid taxes/duties (again, it all depends on how picky the MTO person is that you get).

If you go in armed with more information than the MTO officer you get, you should be in good shape.
    - Make sure you have all of the parts documented and receipts.
    - Make sure you have your certificate of ownership and all documentation from FFR including your import tax receipt and paperwork from the border.
    - Make sure you tell them the car is complete (again, they never asked for proof), you will also have to tell them a colour for the car

More here - https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...04-faq-689.htm

I'm interested to see how the process goes for you. Like I said, every person I have talked to that has gone through this has had a slightly different experience. A buddy of mine with a Type-33 received a VIN for a 1933 reproduction car.....Another guy I know with an 818 had to jump through all kinds of hoops and eventually got a 2017 VIN. Some people told me that the VIN had to start with a certain designation being a kit or home built car....in our case that didn't happen and when I questioned the MTO officer she told me that I would still be emissions exempt and that the car was listed as KIT. I have found no two cases alike so far.

Please update on how it goes! (may the force be with you)
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice build....I like the webers on the 289...should be a nice package.

I'm in Manitoba and building a MK4 roadster. I couldn't get insurance through our government run Insurer (MPI) as they wanted a running, driving safetied car. All I was looking for was fire and theft to cover in in case of a fire or a total loss event during my build. Virtually every insurer I contact would not cover the 'car' until it was road worthy. I ended up contacting Hagerty and they were more then happy to cover my roadster during the build progress for everything except collision. Agreed upon value at this time was $40k with a yearly premium of about $340 (cdn),,,,More then happy with them and their service was excellent.

Also are you close to a US border crossing? I get all my parts ordered to a parcel handling company just on the US side of the US/CDN border. That way I do all the brokerage and just have to pay taxes on the value. Usually no duty as all parts are USA made. It's actually a pretty easy process. I time my border runs for low volume times and generally can be across the line in a matter of minutes. Have been burned before by UPS on brokerage and 'fees' which have amounted to the purchase price of product....big scam in my opinion.

Anyways, my 2 cents, good luck with the build and keep us posted

Post Thanks / Like
    Gentleman, Did anyone use the stainless steel aircraft cable for the rear axle? I guess we are suppose to mount it to the frame and solid axle. I never had to mount one for the cobra.

Thinking on not using it. what do you think?

Nelson

What do you think?
    Last edited by Automan; 09-07-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am considering a Daytona kit, and I live in Ontario between London and Chatham. I am keen to visit anyone local who has built one and hear all about the experience. I tried to get a number for a Marc St. Amand but could not find one that was accurate. My phone number is 519-318-6663.

I have a local source for a drivetrain, from a Lincoln, but I have to check it out to see what it is.
    Last edited by Budge; 09-23-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: name correction