Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul2stl #9122 Graduated

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Paul. Making good progress.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for another update. Getting closer to official first start and go cart. Did a try at starting last weekend and ran into problems. Not so much with the engine but with the transmission. I did get the engine to run for a few minutes but shut her down right away when i realized i had no engagement with the clutch. At that point I was so mad thinking i would have to pull the engine and transmission. So took a brake from that and worked on some wiring and other little things. Well on Monday I went out to try and see what the problem was. Disconnected the slave cylinder, I'm using a hydraulic clutch set up from Forte Parts Connection. And realized that the clutch was disengaged no matter how far the fork was moved back. Then I thought maybe I shouldn't have put the Ford clutch fork arm pivot ball on the transmission that came with the bell housing and left the Tremec one on the transmission. So call Mike to confirm and sure enough this has happen before to other that received an pivot ball with the bolt kit from Ford he was sending with the kit he put together. Must have missed it on the forum. All is good know and read for first start and possibly a go cart.

Here are some pics of the problem and what the fork did to the clutch. Just scraped it a little so should be fine.

The black ball is the one that came on the trans. The shinny one came from Ford since I used a Ford bell housing thought hey that should be used with this set up. WROMG you know what that say about assumptions, they are the mother of all F#$%ups. About 1/2" kept the clutch engage all the time.

Installed side pipes getting ready for the first start and go cart.

Seats and harnesses install along with roll bar, not planning to run the chrome FFR roll bar just temporary. Bought the rake and shorter one from Breeze.

Added a power port and switch in the trunk. The switch controls the LED lights and has a volt cage also.

MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about the glitch Paul; love your setup in the trunk.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    Sorry to hear about the glitch Paul; love your setup in the trunk.

Chris
    Thanks Chris, got the idea from Jim. But wanted to have an on off switch for the lights in the truck.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a video my wife shot and edited. This was after a good break in on the engine and fixed a few leaks . The Speed Hut oil pressure sending unit stopped working. Also I was sent a celsius reading temperature gauge. Guess I’m calling Speed Hut to get replacements. Did get a mil light come on after the break in and few starts. It turned out to be a coolant issue, I’m guessing it was a air pocket in the system since it was a little low. Reset the light and hasn’t came on again after adding some coolant. Other than that has ran smoothly. This thing is freakin fast!! Enjoy the video!
    https://youth.be/EErbusyeYYo

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Paul! That’s awesome...
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, great work!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds great Paul. Great video. My oil pressure gauge failed too, and the temp gauge is Celsius. I left the temp gauge as is and they did send out a replacement for the other. The pollen is really bad right now and you can see in your video how much there is.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Sounds great.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your Progress Is Impressive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Sounds great Paul. Great video. My oil pressure gauge failed too, and the temp gauge is Celsius. I left the temp gauge as is and they did send out a replacement for the other. The pollen is really bad right now and you can see in your video how much there is.
    Jim, thanks I call Speed Hut today and they said they could change the gauge out for $15. I just have to send it back. They put me on hold to talk to someone about the pressure gauge for over 30 minutes. I was tired of waiting so just hung up. I will call them tomorrow again and see if they will send a new one. Yeah the pollen is bad it got all over the car. Not happy about that, but I love how fast this thing is. The Coyote has an instant response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Congratulations. Sounds great.
    Thinks I wish I had roads to drive on like you in your first drive video. I did a Go Pro video on the same ride like yours but did like how it turned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Your Progress Is Impressive!
    Thanks, Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul2STL, looking earlier in your build there are some great pictures of the front suspension. Wondering what spindles you are using? Are those FFR's?
    Last edited by erstanl; 07-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m using the Factory Five spindles I got them as an upgrade to my base kit. I have a set of the 94-98 Mustang ones that I was going to use, but got the FFR ones when they had the half price sale. Better geometry with the FFR set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well its been a while since a good update. I have been putting time to other indevors. I planned to do a Comp dash lay out from the very beginning. I thing the biggest challenge was getting the glove to the correct shape. I wanted the upper curve to match the curve of the body.

I decided to make my own glove box out of fiber glass, tried making aluminum glove box but that was a fail. Used insulation board as a die for laying the fiber glass sheets. Came out pretty good for first time making anything out of fiber glass.

It came out pretty rough.

Cleaned it up and trimmed to the correct size then painted.

Leather was installed in the interior of the glove box. It came out a little wavy thinks to the contact adhesive that sticks immediately.

And here is the glove box with the door attached.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't seen anyone use fiberglass. Adding new choices for the newer builders to consider in their own builds. Nice work!
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! what did you use to make the door? Is it just the left over piece that was cut out of the dash?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Haven't seen anyone use fiberglass. Adding new choices for the newer builders to consider in their own builds. Nice work!
    Thanks David, I saw it some where on one of the forums before. One of my coworkers suggested it to me. It was definitely a practice in patience’s to get it just right. Also thanks for the hazard switch you sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Nice! what did you use to make the door? Is it just the left over piece that was cut out of the dash?
    No, wasn’t usable once I cut it out would have been nice if I could. It was a little challenging to get the exact shape of the cut out, but 1/8 smaller. I used two pieces of .040 aluminum sandwiched together. With 1/8 foam under the leather on the front panel to match the rest of the dash and just leather on the inside one. Basically copied what Edwardb did on his last Roadster build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roadster #9122 is almost ready to have its body mounted. I finished covering the dash in blackleather. It was a tedious process ofcutting the dash building the fiber glass glove box and getting everything tofit just the way I wanted. I think itpaid off.

Here is the glove box I made decided to line it with leather. I used some of the 1/8 foam on the rear wall of the glove box. Probably should of just lined it with leather and no padding.

Tried to keep the wiring as neat as I could.

I have a question or would like everyone’sinput about mounting the body. I plan totake the car down to "The Bat" in California in October for paint. Should I mount the body and all the piecesalong with it like latches, quick jacks, windshield, trunk latch etc...? I know Jeff would do all the fitting and thatwould probably include mounting door and trunk latches. I would like to license and title it before Itake it to him. I do not need aninspection done here in Washington, so having it all together is not necessary. Therefore, should I mount the body and somewhatfit it with all the components or just wait until I take it down to Jeff?

22. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice.

Call Jeff Miller now and discuss your plan. He'd prefer that you don't install hood and door latches and a few other items. He can explain why. Don't know if you can register without latches but I'm sure you can work something out.

Just picked mine up from Miller and couldn't be happier.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

24. Thanks Paul2STL thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While Miller would probably prefer an unmolested body, I'd recommend getting to to a driveable shape so you can put some shakedown miles on it. That way, if you find any issues, you can correct them without having to worry about scratching your brand new paint. Granted, I had my hood duck taped on for probably 100 miles with no issues, so you might be able to find a happy medium
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

26. Thanks Paul2STL thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2STL View Post
    Roadster #9122 is almost ready to have its body mounted. I finished covering the dash in blackleather. It was a tedious process ofcutting the dash building the fiber glass glove box and getting everything tofit just the way I wanted. I think itpaid off.

Here is the glove box I made decided to line it with leather. I used some of the 1/8 foam on the rear wall of the glove box. Probably should of just lined it with leather and no padding.

Tried to keep the wiring as neat as I could.

I have a question or would like everyone’sinput about mounting the body. I plan totake the car down to "The Bat" in California in October for paint. Should I mount the body and all the piecesalong with it like latches, quick jacks, windshield, trunk latch etc...? I know Jeff would do all the fitting and thatwould probably include mounting door and trunk latches. I would like to license and title it before Itake it to him. I do not need aninspection done here in Washington, so having it all together is not necessary. Therefore, should I mount the body and somewhatfit it with all the components or just wait until I take it down to Jeff?
    Nice job on the dash!! Where does the grab bar come from?
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, Jdav thanks for the input. I think I will mount the body, windshield, lights and quick jacks. All the body pieces will be duck taped in place. I’m going to give Jeff a call just to double check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Higgy,
    Bought the grab handle from a marine supply place. It’s the polish aluminum with clear coat.
    https://www.eddiemarine.com/shop/dec...et-aluminum-10

Post Thanks / Like
    Well found some time to mount the dash and adjust everything. It is pretty tight behind the dash with all the Coyote, Ron Francis, and additional fuse box. This is the look I was after, took a lot of work but I think it paid off.

Also decided to do the Kleiner mod on the license plate light. I didn't want to cut my plate up. This is an extra plate I had that was already chewed up at the bottom to trimmed it to fit as of now. I plan to cut more material off the light to get the plate up higher so I don't have to cut up my good plate. Also found this license plate frame on the other forum does anyone know where to buy this frame? I looked on Shelby's, Superformance and the company that made it but no luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your dash turned out great! Good job.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Paul. Is that a push button start above the key? I'll look around for that frame. I didn't do a grab bar but would have been helpful on all the hard launches. The competition dash is different and if will be fun to compare when we are all on the road together. I'm used to the tach and speed between the wheel now an not sure if it would distract me to look at the center of the dash. Is it going to be on the road soon before paint? we'll all have to go for a run if so. Jim
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Very nice Paul. Is that a push button start above the key? I'll look around for that frame. I didn't do a grab bar but would have been helpful on all the hard launches. The competition dash is different and if will be fun to compare when we are all on the road together. I'm used to the tach and speed between the wheel now an not sure if it would distract me to look at the center of the dash. Is it going to be on the road soon before paint? we'll all have to go for a run if so. Jim
    This weekend I plan to prep the body for install. Yes the plan is to get it licensed, registered and on the road before paint. No puss button start just the horn. I have a puss button start but not sure if I am going to use it. If I do it would probably be out of sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Making some progress toward mounting the body. After a few trial and errors I finally got the Breeze roll bar fitted correctly. She slides right in with no pushing or pulling on the tubs. Once the body is mounted she should slide right in. I mig welded the hoop slugs to the hoop itself then tack welded the down tub. I took it to a fab shop and they tig welded the leg up for $30. Thought that was a pretty good deal. Then had it powder coated chrome. Was hoping it was a little more mirror like. From ten foot away it looks really shinny like true chrome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2STL View Post
    Making some progress toward mounting the body...... Then had it powder coated chrome.
    Looks great Paul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David

Post Thanks / Like
    Another update. Worked on preping the body for install. First thing was to mount the louver mounting studs to the body that I got from McMaster Car. Used Evercoat Fiber Tech to secure them to the body. I had this laying around from work so I it would be good enough to hold the studs.

Used the paint stick method to hold in place while I lay on the filler.

Had to trim the stock hole up quit a bit to get the shape to match the louvers. Its still rough, I will let the painter finish it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking really good. One hint: The bulb seal isn't supposed to be on the rear cockpit wall between the trunk sides. The aluminum back wall by itself, with carpet, is already a tight fit. Could ultimately affect the fit of your body.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got alot done over the last three weeks. I am titled and licensed with over 250 miles on her. What a blast it is to drive and a challenge to keep it under the speed limit. The Coyote revs so high the pipes are screaming at 5000 rpms. Worked out some of the bugs and got the alignment pretty close. Did get a P0116 code for coolant range issue, talked to Ford techs and said it was know issue with the crate motor computers. Just not ready to send it back to get flashed yet, I think I will wait till the rain starts here in the Northwest. The plan for paint is to trailer it down to California for Jeff Miller to lay down the paint. Going with a Ford color Deep Impact Blue with Ingot Silver strips. I didn't put on any door and hood latches or mount the hood per Jeff's instructions, don't want to add more work for him that I would end up paying for.

Need to still finish the nose aluminum in powder coat, fix the running lights and hook up the oil cooler lines.

The dash, center cover and glove box turned out awesome. Had the sifter boot and brake boot sewn with the same leather I covered the dash with. Turned out great but a bit pricey.

Plan to have the Coyote and valve covers painted to match the body in some way just not sure yet what parts will get what color. I know I will get the valve cover plastic painted Deep Impact Blue the main cover just not sure yet. I have time so we will see.

Last edited by Paul2STL; 09-07-2018 at 02:41 AM.

40. Likes FlyingCobra liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations From Way Down South In New Orleans!

Major milestones are always worth celebrating & this is one of them!

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!

http://gatewayno.com/culture/culture.html
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-07-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! She looks great. What colours you planning?
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice !!
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    She Looks Fantastic!
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast