BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Race Report - Limerock Aug 25-26, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Race Report - Limerock Aug 25-26, 2017

Winner winner chicken dinner! 2 races, 2 wins.

Had such a great time at Limerock with NASA NorthEast August 25-26 (Friday/Saturday) since there is no racing at Limerock Sunday. The weather was perfect the whole weekend, low 70’s and sunny. NASA got thrown a curve ball by the race track officials last minute saying there can not be any racing Friday due to town/track agreements that was suddenly getting enforced, so NASA shuffled the schedule around making it possible to have qualifying Friday, and two races Saturday. The same weekend I also signed up for Time Trials (which funny enough were able to run both days without issue as it isn’t considered racing.)

Friday first couple of sessions were warm-up, on super old 245 Hoosier tires. I had some tuning to do to the chassis as the car being run as low as possible was too low for Limerock, under compression going up the hill it would bottom out the frame. Raised the car, changed front springs to try to induce more rear grip, and also added spring rubbers in the springs all around to stiffen the whole car. All those changes worked well. I brought with me 2 full sets of tires that needed to get scrubbed in, so first new set on the car for Time Trial session #2 I slowly build up speed getting the tires up to temp and the last lap set a flyer! that lap turned out to be 56.313 and end up winning the TT2 time trial class Friday.

I am finally getting used to the car, and with the brakes now fixed (changed the rotors to full floating Stoptech) confidence in the car is back. Later Friday the qualifying session I managed to squeeze out a 56.691 putting me first in ST2, and will start 2nd overall next to a prototype car, Ligier JS49 in the SU class (pic above.) Adrian Wlostowski in his Corvette starts p2, 3rd overall in ST2 (his first time at Limerock running 57.588), Alan Cohen p3, John Gatzemyer p4, and Doug Winston p5 having issues with his car.
    Last edited by johngeorge; 08-28-2017 at 06:10 AM.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday Race#1 started off fast with Adrian getting a jump on the start passing me for the ST2 lead. We were nose to tail until his car had some issues with the brakes, his power brake booster hose fell off so he came into the pits, put it back on, and finished the race at 4 laps down. I won easily, and John Gatzemyre finished 2nd. Alan did not compete, he had family duties Saturday and left Friday night, Doug unfortunately blew up his engine.

Race #2 grid was based on the fastest lap you ran in race 1, so Adrian started p1, with me p2, Brian Goldburg in his ST1 Panoz p3.

The start of the race Brian got the jump on both Adrian and I, the three of us nose to tail were running fast consistent laps until catching the back of the field. Traffic management would be key to the win of the race, well, it didn’t work in my favor early on. A spinning car in turn 1 caused me to evade going off track loosing touch with Adrian and Brian. With them busy in traffic I was able to catch them up. Then a badly timed restart after a yellow flag restart allowed Scott Mohr in his ST1-ish legal ST2 car to get past me taking me a couple of laps to get back around him and setting fast consistent laps to get back to where I was, on Adrian’s bumper. The last couple of laps of the race were intense. Brian, Adrian and I slicing through traffic trying to time the passing as best as one could. I got a mean run down the hill and next to Adrian in the braking for turn 1 making the pass happen, then Brian has issues at the top section, goes off and rejoins just behind me. With Adrian hot on his tail I knew some shenanigans must be had for me to get the win. So, I kept Brian between Adrian and I (sorry Brian, I had to do it!) on the last lap getting the win! What a race! Had to push hard, make up a lot of lost time deficit to get to the front. This video is a good one for sure.
    Last edited by johngeorge; 08-28-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Next race weekend will be Sept 22-24 at Watkins Glen, where we will work on car setup for Nationals.

Pics from the weekend: http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/gall...?/category/406

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Great post and wins ....
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    very nice!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Enjoyed The Video Ride Along!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great races and way to catch back up in traffic !

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done John. Are you running wider tires now? Those rears don't look like 275s.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Well done John. Are you running wider tires now? Those rears don't look like 275s.
    I was running 315's all around on 18x11" wheels for the race.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, John, for the report. Looks like you're getting the coupe dialed in.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations John! Looked like some tough racing, and some skilled driving. Well earned victories!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoyed the video ride! Very skillful driving.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    That was cool. Thanks.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I've looked at "race 2" a couple times. This is all relatively new to me. However, one question immediately comes to mind, are there some neophytes or nimrods on the track? Or, do they all know what they are doing?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    John, what is that dry metal on metal howling sound? Are those your brakes?
    Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
    John, what is that dry metal on metal howling sound? Are those your brakes?
    Frank
    Yes those are the super awesome race brakes. I'm using the most aggressive race pad Hawk makes, DTC-70 along with race 2 piece floating rotors from Stoptech. They squeal only upon very light application, like when I was using the brakes to maintain being next to the Corvette at the start of the race... most race brakes squeal.

Post Thanks / Like
    John, the floating rotors are a brilliant solution. Sure wish I had thought of them w/ the old solid axle.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great racing John! The car really looks dialed in.

It looks like the car really likes the grip effort of the 315 tires!

By the way, what dual camera/data logging system are you using? I like the brake pressure sensors on the logging.
    Last edited by 454bug; 10-11-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    John is running the Racepak IQ3 data logger in this car.

The track photographer also got some great shots of the John that weekend.
    https://www.factoryfive.com/gallerie...limerock-2017/
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    P.O.M.

After Viewing The Gallery Posted By Jim:

1. The Picture Of The Month needs to be one of the actions shots contained in that gallery.
    2. Think about what Factory Five learns from all the thrashing that John George has done to their products over the years.
    3. A Real Race Car Doing What It Was Designed To Do Is Poetry Captured In Motion!

P.O.M. Worthy; What Say You?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great to know you can get a 315 tire on the front of this car.

What is the setup with the 18"x11" wheels? Are you still running spacers on the front and/or the rear? If so, what thickness? In addition, what offset are you running on the front and rear wheels?

Presently, I endurance race (8 hour races) in an '88 Mustang (347/Liberty TKO). I am really looking forward to moving on to a Coyote motor...

Thanks for your time and your driving is a real inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interested in the answers to 454bug's questions, as well, John, as it's time to get wheels/tires.

Also, are you running an oil cooler with Aviaid system? Am getting ready to mount my dry sump system on my new engine. Was wondering whether one is needed with that setup.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    18x11” wheels fit without spacer in the front, and I believe a 2” or 2.5” spacer for the rear irs. I’ll measure it when I get home.

No oil cooler for the aviaid system. I do run synthetic oil and have always run 250-260deg of oil temp.

The only cooler I require is for the rear irs, that sucker gets really hot and if you look at the datalogger temp graph without the cooler it linearity goes up over time, past 330deg f. So long runs on track need diff cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, its a 2" rear spacer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, John. I agree - you should have oil temp>water vaporization temp at least. Glad to know the Aviaid system doesn't require it. I'll keep an eye on temps.

Wouldn't have thought the diff temps got that high - good to know. Where did you put the sensor in the diff - does it replace the drain plug?

Thanks for the wheel info, but what wheels, and what is the offset or backspace? I will run wheels/tires as wide as I can get them, and am having trouble figuring out what wheels to go with.

Thanks