Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  101
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Yama-Bro's MK4 Build Thread - #9158 (Index in Post #1)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    Are you tired of drilling holes yet? I was happy when I got past this part of the build. Seems to be a theme for me though
    I'm ready for more again, but I did wake up Sunday night and my wrists were throbbing. The only thing I could think of that caused it was the drilling. I guess I'm not used to that kind of labor.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Just caught up with your thread. Great work my friend. I am moving along as well. I really like those tires stickers. I have been watching those for months and really want to pull the trigger but I am always playing games with Air FOrce deployments and the time i leave. I have to prioritize for the the time being. So I am going to do those near the end of the build. Great work as always. So jelly you get to do what you do for a living. Thank you for cranking out awesome engines. Wish your company would offer more aggressive cams however.

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Just caught up with your thread. Great work my friend. I am moving along as well. I really like those tires stickers. I have been watching those for months and really want to pull the trigger but I am always playing games with Air FOrce deployments and the time i leave. I have to prioritize for the the time being. So I am going to do those near the end of the build. Great work as always. So jelly you get to do what you do for a living. Thank you for cranking out awesome engines. Wish your company would offer more aggressive cams however.

Brandon
    Thanks Sir! I've been watching your build thread. You are really moving along! Maybe I will catch up to you while you are deployed. The tire stickers are cool. I really like the way they look on just about any car. I'm going to put them on my 15" tires/rims as well. Good luck on your next deployment!
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Fit, trim, drill, cleco, repeat. We did that for the driver's side foot box this weekend. My friend Nathan came over and gave me a hand. This side didn't go together as good as the passenger side. I had to trim the lower inner vertical panel and the upper outer panel. It makes me think something shifted when they welded the frame. It's all pretty minor though, we still got it together without a lot of hassle.

The engine compartment is starting to take shape...

Last edited by Yama-Bro; 07-24-2018 at 08:24 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Driver's side foot box temp install continued. The cockpit is also starting to come together...

Here's one of the areas I had to trim. I took about .50" off the vertical edge near the trans tunnel. I also had to trim a little off the top outer cover's front edge and the back stepped edge that's near the dash

I noticed my gas pedal is very close to the foot box panel. Is that a common issue?
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 07-24-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man, if its still easily accessible can you measure up the three swedged tubes in your 3 link. The sway bar, top link and the VPM tube. Just need the measurements of the tubes themselves, without the hiems.
    Thanks, Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    looking good!
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

8. Likes Yama-Bro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    Hey man, if its still easily accessible can you measure up the three swedged tubes in your 3 link. The sway bar, top link and the VPM tube. Just need the measurements of the tubes themselves, without the hiems.
    Thanks, Higgy
    Yeah, no problem. I'll do it after work tonight. If you don't hear from me send me a PM to remind me.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm inching my way thru these panels. Got the cockpit pieces drilled and fitted this weekend. My plan is to get these all in place before I route the brake and fuel lines.

Driveshaft cover...

This is my favorite area of the panels on the MK4. I love how they all come together with compound angles. I think it looks cool in shiny aluminum. To bad I'm gonna cover it up with carpet and seats.

Back corners of the cockpit...

The large panel in the back of the cockpit. Out of curiosity, I counted the holes I drilled in that panel alone. It was just under 100. Then I doubled that for transferring those holes to the frame or attaching panels. That's around 200 drilled holes for that panel alone No wonder my wrists hurt.

Does anyone drill and rivet the large back panel to the two vertical tubes that are directly under the seat belt strap openings? I drilled holes in the panel for those tubes, but later realized there is a large gap between the tubes and the aluminum. I'm estimating the gap is about .25". If I rivet those, it's going to pull the panel in and distort the top edge of the panel considerably. Maybe another aluminum panel from the trunk fills that it later?
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 08-19-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    More panels drilled and cleco'ed this weekend. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on these.

Passenger side outer trunk panel...
    On both of these outer panels I had to trim a notch on the lower front edge to clear the frame weld.

Driver's side outer trunk side panel...

Passenger side inner trunk panel...
    The manual didn't specify, but I decided to attach these from both the inside and the outside. I think it will be more solid that way. I'll have to assemble the lower floor, the inner sides, the outer sides, then the upper floor. This note is as much to help others as well as to help myself remember the order later. Haha

Driver's side inner trunk panel...

I loosened up the gas tank in preparation of taking it in and out several times to install the lower trunk floor and the Russ Thompson drop trunk box.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 08-06-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank,

Another thing not in the manual that I think is better is to run your license plate wiring between the inner and outer panel and pull the harness through a grommet near the top of the inside panel.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Frank,

Another thing not in the manual that I think is better is to run your license plate wiring between the inner and outer panel and pull the harness through a grommet near the top of the inside panel.

Dave
    Oh yeah, that looks pretty good. Thanks for the tip. I have plenty of time to implement that. If you didn't do what you show in the picture would you run it on top the tube that's at the top of the inner trunk panel?
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank and everyone else at this stage. When I got my car back from paint a few weeks ago, I needed to install the upper rear body bolts, the paint shop had only installed the lowers. I did not read anywhere, nor have I seen it mentioned, the fuel tank must be loosened and dropped a few inches to get those bolts in there! I ended up going with threaded rod to make it a little easier but it was still a MAJOR pain-in-the-you know what to do this after the car was mostly complete! Depending on what you are using (quick jacks, over riders, or bumpers) I would HIGHLY suggest you install what you are going to put there BEFORE you do the final install on the fuel tank, I certainly wish I would have!
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Frank and everyone else at this stage. When I got my car back from paint a few weeks ago, I needed to install the upper rear body bolts, the paint shop had only installed the lowers. I did not read anywhere, nor have I seen it mentioned, the fuel tank must be loosened and dropped a few inches to get those bolts in there! I ended up going with threaded rod to make it a little easier but it was still a MAJOR pain-in-the-you know what to do this after the car was mostly complete! Depending on what you are using (quick jacks, over riders, or bumpers) I would HIGHLY suggest you install what you are going to put there BEFORE you do the final install on the fuel tank, I certainly wish I would have!
    Hey BB767, Thanks for the advice, but isn't this the purpose of the Kliener mod that a lot of people do? I did it in post #211. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Hey BB767, Thanks for the advice, but isn't this the purpose of the Kliener mod that a lot of people do? I did it in post #211. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Dooooooh, I missed that one. Sure wish I didn't. You are on top of it! For every one else, GET IT NOW!
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

17. Likes Yama-Bro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I worked on the the Russ Thompson drop trunk box modification this last week. I finished it up Friday morning. This basically gives you more room for junk in the trunk, and who doesn't like room for that? It ships flat and you have to assemble it. It's well made, mine shipped promptly, came with good instructions, and fit together great. Oh, and Russ is a nice guy that responded to my questions quickly. I'd recommend it!

I used the FFR rivet spacer to mark the rivets. I used 2" spacing per Russ' instructions. It came out perfect. If you are doing this, just remember to space the rivets far enough from edges of the box so that you can still get the rivet gun/tool in the area.

The box roughly clamped together. The panels of the box are made of .060" thick aluminum...so about .020" thicker that the FFR panels. You can tell it has a little more girth to it.

More drilling and riveting...will this ever end? =) I silicone caulked all the edges so there won't be any squeaks, creaks, or leaks when it's on the road...

Wyatt doing some riveting. The boys have pretty much lost interest in drilling panels at this point.

The assembled trunk box. I don't know about you, but I think that's a lot of storage space that I can use later on.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 08-18-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Drop trunk mod continued...

I placed mine 1.125" from the driver's side tube and 1.125" from the rear tube. This centered the fuel level sending unit directly under the hole in the box and put a nice overlap between the front side of the panel and the front edge of the lower trunk floor.

After figuring out where I wanted to place it in the chassis, I had to cut notches to clear the frame. These were close to what Russ marked, but just a bit off, so make sure to measure and mark yours.

And here's where it's going to sit. Again, despite not having a quad any more, the ATV lift proves it's worth.

Cutting the hole in the trunk floor. I started small, then marked the opening from underneath using the edge of the box as a template. Then did the final cut. It worked good.

And here it is, all held in place with Clecos. I'm not sure how you could build one of these cars without Clecos. They make it so much easier.

Another view. Russ' kit comes with an access panel to cover the hole for the fuel sender. I know some guys cut the frame and remove the angled tubes, which may be fine, but that didn't seem like a good idea to me, so I left them in. I'm guessing FFR put them in there for a reason, whether for frame rigidity, or for safety. Having the tubes does cut down on the usefulness of the extra trunk area slightly, but I think the gains are still big. This modification probably makes it possible to put a cooler in the trunk...I mean, that's a pretty big deal.

This picture kinda reminds me of a kitchen sink. HAHA.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 08-18-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done, Bro! You're going to be glad you did that!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobra?.....Check! Cooler?.....Check! Lets go!!!!
    Higgy
    SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Nicely done, Bro! You're going to be glad you did that!!
    I think you are right. This upgrade was a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    Cobra?.....Check! Cooler?.....Check! Lets go!!!!
    Higgy
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great YB!! I had the same small overlap on that vertical trans tunnel piece. It was minor so I didn't trim it, so seems like a common deal.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Looking great YB!! I had the same small overlap on that vertical trans tunnel piece. It was minor so I didn't trim it, so seems like a common deal.
    Thanks cv!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Next up...battery box install. This piece is designed and sold by FFmetals. It's a nice well made part. This box mounts the battery under the floor of the trunk, giving you more trunk space and lowering the center of gravity (bonus). The other option to get more trunk space was moving the battery to the engine compartment, which is a pretty good solution, but I don't like the weight transfer or the visual aspects of that solution as much.

Here's everything you get with the box...

The first step was to assemble the box to the brace and put it in place. It fit so good that I decided just to drill and rivet it in permanently. While I was in the process of locking it in place I was thinking how much it would suck to have to remove it. That's when I realized that I overlooked installing all the small rivets that hold the box together...oh crap!!. Before taking the walk of shame and drilling out all the rivets that I just put in, I attempted the contortionist act of putting the small rivets into the box while it was installed in the frame. I was over, under, around, and thru the box in every angle possible...all while using two different rivet tools. Despite the lack of space, I managed to get all the small rivets into the box...plus got a yoga workout in the process. I got Lucky!

The installed battery box...

Similar to cutting the hole for the drop trunk modification, I also had to cut a hole for the battery box. Also like the drop trunk mod, I started small and worked my way up.

Here's the upper trunk floor cleco'ed in place. I made some larger holes to clear the screw heads that hold the battery box brace. In this picture, they are the two silver screws to the sides of the box, directly under the arched tube...

The cover for the battery box in place...

And there it is. I made it thru drilling and fitting the aluminum panels. Whew. There are a few more to do later in the build, but I'm calling it good on these for now and ready to move to the next step. I'll point out that I will carpet the whole trunk later on in the project.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 08-23-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    The trunk is looking great! I spent way more time on the trunk then I thought I would, but I think it is definitely worth the effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    The trunk is looking great! I spent way more time on the trunk then I thought I would, but I think it is definitely worth the effort.
    I agree, We'll probably never regret adding trunk space.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    When I ordered my kit I didn't see the front sway bar on the order form (this was before they overhauled the site), but a few months back I saw some one putting one on their roadster, so I called FF and got one on order. My son and I put it on this weekend. It was a fairly straight forward upgrade. It was easy to put on.

Here are all the parts that come with the sway bar...

The first step is to shorten the male and female rod ends so they have about 1/2" of threads remaining. I used my electric band saw to remove the extra material.

I cleaned my cut up with the grinder and then taped off the cut edges and gave the cut edges of the parts a coating of silver paint to keep them from rusting...

We loosely assembled the sway bar. I noticed the brackets slightly interfered with the welds on the frame. We ground a little material off each bracket to take care of that problem

Per the instructions we attached the sway bar to the lower shock mount...

Here's a close up looking from underneath...

The spacer and bolt look a little chintzy to me, but I'm no suspension engineer and there are a lot of these on the track and street, so I'm going to go with it.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be very happy that you did the trunk mod!
    It is just enough for the weekly groceries. if you want to go the Costco, you may need to do couple trips

Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

30. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha!!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I accomplished a little on the car this weekend; not as much as I hoped (I'll show you why, later). I installed the front flexible brake lines.

Here are all the parts for this portion of the build. Most of these came with the brake kit I purchased from Gordon Levy Racing...

Here's the brake line mounting tab riveted to the frame with 3/16 rivets. I searched for two hours thru boxes and bags for another pair of these for the back. It seems as though FFR doesn't supply these. I'll have to get another pair.

This is what it looks like assembled. The brake lines seem kind of long to me. These are 18". I'm thinking of switching them out for some 16 inchers. What do you guys think? It seems like no matter which way I point them, they will rub on another component, whether it's the wheel, spring, or a-arm. I've also considered getting some sort of clamp to fasten the line to the a-arms. We used to have stuff like that back in my ATV riding days. That would keep the line from jiggling around.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 09-04-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    And here's the reason we didn't get much done...the boys wanted to put the body on the car. Since it was the year anniversary of the delivery (on Labor day last year), it sounded like a good idea to me too.

We dropped in the seats, steering wheel, doors, lowered it to the ground. We even had the shifter out for awhile.

Here they are testing the acceleration. We spent several hours making car noises and admiring it.

I had to get a shot of it next to my son's rat rod motor bike...

He's been mowing yards all summer to pay for parts to build this. I think it turned out really cool.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 09-04-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    Serial #9158

34. Likes broku518 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How cool is that? The boys will always remember days like that. Love the bike but even more that he worked for it
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Yama-Bro! Putting the body and wheels on DEFINITELY gets you that much closer. My swaybars looked like yours and I didn't like the angle so I trimmed the spacers.

I don't know if it matters but I thought it looked better that way. Looking at it now though I realize I need to remove them again and powder coat them...
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    How cool is that? The boys will always remember days like that. Love the bike but even more that he worked for it
    -Steve
    Thanks Steve! I'll let him know you like it. I'm proud of him for building it as well as working for it. I helped him with a few things, but he's done most of it himself. The principal at his middle school asked if they could display it at the high school to give the kids at the high school inspiration to build things. That's cool.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Looking good Yama-Bro! Putting the body and wheels on DEFINITELY gets you that much closer. My swaybars looked like yours and I didn't like the angle so I trimmed the spacers.

I don't know if it matters but I thought it looked better that way. Looking at it now though I realize I need to remove them again and powder coat them...
    That looks a lot better. It looks more sturdy as well. Does that change the sway bar geometry enough to effect anything?
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks a lot better. It looks more sturdy as well. Does that change the sway bar geometry enough to effect anything?
    I have no idea, lol.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea, lol.
    I can't see it making much difference. The rod ends appear to be lined up with the shock center line before you shortened the spacer. Maybe that's the design intent? But I doubt they'd stay perfectly aligned with the centerline of the shock thru all of the suspension travel. I think you'll be ok.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming right along! that trunk mod is awesome.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    And here's the reason we didn't get much done...the boys wanted to put the body on the car. Since it was the year anniversary of the delivery (on Labor day last year), it sounded like a good idea to me too.

We dropped in the seats, steering wheel, doors, lowered it to the ground. We even had the shifter out for awhile.

Here they are testing the acceleration. We spent several hours making car noises and admiring it.

I had to get a shot of it next to my son's rat rod motor bike...

He's been mowing yards all summer to pay for parts to build this. I think it turned out really cool.
    Tell your boy his bike is BITC*IN!!!! I'm 50 and would tool around the neighborhood on that!!
    Higgy
    SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what it looks like assembled. The brake lines seem kind of long to me. These are 18". I'm thinking of switching them out for some 16 inchers. What do you guys think? It seems like no matter which way I point them, they will rub on another component, whether it's the wheel, spring, or a-arm. I've also considered getting some sort of clamp to fasten the line to the a-arms. We used to have stuff like that back in my ATV riding days. That would keep the line from jiggling around.
    Your flex line length is fine. Don't shorten it. Keep in mind (1) you're at the bottom of the suspension travel, and (2) those wheels have to turn lock-to-lock. Check and make sure it's clearing everything when pushed up at ride height at turning the wheel both ways. You may need to re-orient the angled fitting on the caliper slightly. But it should work fine with that length. I'd recommend against attaching it to the control arms. Just not needed and maybe create issues.

FWIW, how #8674 is routed and zero issues with a bunch of miles on it now:

Same comment as above. Check the alignment at ride height. You will find the angle changes and the original length spacer may be closer than you think. Basically, you want it roughly straight at ride height, and then whatever angle it takes at up and down limits should be handled by the Heim joints.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-05-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the brake line mounting tab riveted to the frame with 3/16 rivets. I searched for two hours thru boxes and bags for another pair of these for the back. It seems as though FFR doesn't supply these. I'll have to get another pair.

Looking good Yama-Bro

My kit only came with one pair also. I called FFR and they sent me another set
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast