Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Yama-Bro's MK4 Build Thread - #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Base kit does not come with brake hose to frame brackets because it assumes a donor rear end and brakes. Complete kit rear brakes adds the bracket. BTW the bracket is better installed horizontally, (rivet to the top surface of the 3/4" tube), so the brake hose enters from below and forms a "U" shape. This allows the hose to roll more and twist less like it likes to do as the suspension goes up and down as the spindle turns. Also keeps the hose from pointing at the tire and wheel. I recommend changing the orientation before you do the hard line plumbing.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Base kit does not come with brake hose to frame brackets because it assumes a donor rear end and brakes. Complete kit rear brakes adds the bracket. BTW the bracket is better installed horizontally, (rivet to the top surface of the 3/4" tube), so the brake hose enters from below and forms a "U" shape. This allows the hose to roll more and twist less like it likes to do as the suspension goes up and down as the spindle turns. Also keeps the hose from pointing at the tire and wheel. I recommend changing the orientation before you do the hard line plumbing.
    Mark, that's some good advice. Since I already attached the front brackets, I may leave it as is, but I can get what you are saying to work in the back. So I'll use your advice back there for sure. Thanks!
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 09-14-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Last weekend I had another distraction that took me away from the build. It was Factory Five related and in my garage, so I figure it's worth a post in my build thread. The company hot rod spent the weekend in my garage so I could put BPE tire stickers on it. They turned out good. The BPE stickers are probably more difficult to apply then typical tire stickers because each letter/line that is a different color is an individual piece of rubber. That and these stickers are a little shorter font then the ones on my car, which made it even more challenging. As you may have guessed, those pieces don't always like to stay where they are meant to be, so there is some wrangling to get them in the correct location. I'm getting better at these the more I do them and I had a friend aiding with alignment on these, which really helped.

As a bonus, I got to cruise around in the hot rod a bit. It was nice to see what driving a FFR hot rod is like. So far I've driven two FFR roadsters and a hot rod. I'm feeling blessed. The two roadsters were 3 link and the hot rod is IRS. The hot rod definitely rides smoother. It gets a lot of looks, thumbs up and waves, just like everyone reports when driving a roadster.

I always dreamed my garage would have this many cool rides sitting in it at once...

This is a steel bodied hotrod. We are still in the planning stages on the paint color...

The powerplant in the hotrod is the BPE 306 with the Holly Sniper fuel injection and the TKO-600 transmission. This one is setup with AC. It doesn't have power steering.

Last edited by Yama-Bro; 09-14-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Flexible brake lines...done...

Here are the rear brake flexible lines. Factory Five sent me a a second pair of brackets for the rear. I used a 45 degree adapter on the calipers and 18" lines. I deviated from the suggested frame mount location by putting the bracket on the bottom side of the angled tube. Doing it this way doesn't require the line to flex and twist as much when the suspension goes thru its paces (like Mark suggested above. Thanks Mark!). Plus the line completely clears the suspension and wheels. I feel like I achieved elegance on this one.

A view looking down from the top...

A view from the back...

I reworked the front brake lines. I wasn't happy with my previous attempt. I ended up buying some 14" lines and used straight adapters (vs the 18" lines and 45 degree adapters that were included with the brakes). These have decent clearance when the wheels are turned without having excessive brake line. This view is looking from behind the passenger side front.

From the top looking down...

This is the passenger side with the wheel turned fully to the left. I may have got by with couple inches less.

This is looking down from above with the wheel turned fully to the right. The line is close, but has clearance. It looks worse in this pic than it really is.

PS, I used loc-tite blue on the adapter threads going into the calipers and nothing on the 3AN brake line threads.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 09-23-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    Serial #9158

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678