Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  101
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Yama-Bro's MK4 Build Thread - #9158 (Index in Post #1)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've questioned whether I should even be worrying about this at this point in the game. Really, the only reason I am is because the manual said to adjust it to 2° up and it seems like others have done it during this part of the build.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    The dreaded angle, oh boy. You can go so many different directions, up, down, but you need to keep in relation with your tranny shaft. Some people add more spacers, some adjust the bar to rotate the pumpkin. Look at some youtube videos to see this in reality.
    It was really confusing to me at first, but Jeff K. picture and watching videos made it clear. One end goes down, other goes up. I have some notes in my build.
    You can make it really complicated, or really easy

Tremec app:
    ..However, angles that are 'equal and opposite' are most desirable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4
    Last edited by broku518; 04-30-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    You can make it really complicated, or really easy
    Thanks for the post. I'll check the vid out when I get home. I think I am making this to complicated. I'm going to adjust the pinion angle until the diff is pointing two degrees down. I'm sure that will make my axle have full travel again. Then I will revisit this once I have the engine and tranny installed.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night, I got back to making adjustments. I'm almost ready to move onto the next step...

First off, all these adjustments were done with the rear shocks off, wheels and tires on the axle, and the car on blocks to simulate ride height. I spaced the 4" tubes 4.5" from the ground. This was the first stumbling block I ran into, because I found out my floor jack isn't of the low profile variety. It doesn't go low enough to get under the frame when it's set at ride height. I got by without for this step, but I'm gonna need a new jack eventually. If you are making a list of tools for your build, make sure you have a low profile floor jack.

I centered the axle in the frame by adjusting the pan hard bar. I put a straight edge across the back edge of the tire and measured to the 4" frame tube on each side. I adjusted until the measurements were equal...
    Passenger side...

Driver side...

Next, I readjusted the pinion angle by shortening the upper control arm length. This time I have it set with the front of the diff going 2° down. This took care of the banana bracket hitting the panhard bar bracket. It went from about .25" interference when cycling the suspension to roughly 1.00" clearance. Much better.

I do have to apologize to ILPBFoot. As I was reading back thru my posts yesterday, I realized he pointed this out to me a while back. Sorry, ILPBFoot. I think the note in the manual about having the pinion 2° up really got me confused. A picture in the manual would do wonders to clear up confusion...
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    Sorry for any confusion....We had the car up on jack stands and set it at 2 degrees down. Then we set it down on the tires with 3 - 2 x 4s under the frame to get the 4.5" ride height. Then once down on the tires I think the pinion angle was close to the 2 degrees up the manual recommends. If you are on the tires and ride height close to the 4 or 4.5" recommended and you are at 2 degrees you are good.

Steve
    Finally, I remounted the shocks. This time flipped so the coils are up. While doing this I took the opportunity to replace the shock mounting bolts with shorter versions, as the factory five bolts were about 3/8" too long and looked a bit excessive. Unfortunately, after all this, I went to put the wheels on and discovered the tires contact the coil springs. It looks like my options are wheel spacers or shocks with the coil down. For now, against everyone's advice, I am going to flip the shocks so the coils are down and see what I can do with the brake line routing. If it looks to be an issue with brake lines, I'll see what my spacer options are.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-18-2018 at 09:19 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried using some washers as spacers behind the wheels to see what a thick .20" spacer would gain me for clearance. Once the wheel was installed with the makeshift spacers, I discovered I had about .75" clearance between the shock and the tire....What? That can't be right? If they hit before and I add .20" spacers how do I have .75" clearance? Well, it turns out, I must've been stupid or tired the other night and didn't have the wheel seated properly. I put the wheel on without spacers and found I have about .5" clearance. So all is good.

Now I'm ready to move onto another part of the build...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-18-2018 at 09:22 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it turns out, I must've been stupid or tired the other night and didn't have the wheel seated properly.
    Don't beat up on yourself too much... we've all been there. (I'm juggling three 25+ camera & intercom installs across two states AND a nationwide/60+ location Card Access conversion - getting a little stupid or tired is easy!)

Got the jack covered... "Blackie" is already lower than the Roadster will be!

Low.jpg
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Don't beat up on yourself too much... we've all been there. (I'm juggling three 25+ camera & intercom installs across two states AND a nationwide/60+ location Card Access conversion - getting a little stupid or tired is easy!)

Got the jack covered... "Blackie" is already lower than the Roadster will be!

Low.jpg
    Thanks man, we'll mark it up to being tired then. Most of my other "toy" vehicles have been ATVs, motorcycles, or Jeeps, so I never had a need for a low profile. I guess it's time.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I took Friday off last week. My plan was to spend the whole day working on the car. I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but I had a lot of fun and everything that I did do went really smooth. I also ended up selling my Harley the that day. It was sad to see it go, but the money is going to go towards the engine and tranny for the car, so that's a good thing. It also opens up a lot of space up in my garage, which is also welcome.

Anyways, the task for Friday was gas tank install...
    All the parts...

Fuel level sender parts...

Fuel level sender parts installed...

Fuel pickup and vent/rollover valve parts...

Fuel pickup and vent/rollover valve parts installed...
    I didn't completely lock down the pickup flange, since I haven't determined my fuel pump strategy yet

Filler neck installed...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-18-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    In the manual it said to flatten out the tank flange so it would sit flat against the standoffs on the frame. It said to use pliers. I tried using a large crescent wrench instead. I thought it worked great. It has a wider contact patch than a pair of pliers, and I had plenty leverage...
    Before...

After...

Next, I used the always handy ATV jack to lift it up in place. I thought about selling this jack when I got out of ATV riding. I'm glad I didn't because I keep finding new ways to use it.

Top-down view of it lifted into place...

I swung the straps under the tank and attached them to the frame. The driver's side looks perfect...

The passenger side reached with plenty of threads, but the bolt wasn't perpendicular like the drivers side. I assume this is the way they are sometimes?
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-18-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank,

I used some aluminum tube as a spacer on the tank strap bolts to help straighten them up. Mine looked the same as yours without the tubing.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Next I did Jeff Kleiner's quick jack attachment mod. For anyone who doesn't know what this does; it basically allows you to remove the quick jacks (and body) without dropping the tank. Seems pretty handy to me. Note: I did this right before bolting the tank in all the way. You can't access the lower passenger side with the tank fully installed.

I looked all over town for 7/16" coupler nuts. I finally found them in a tractor store. After starting this project, I'm beginning to think I need to open a fastener/hardware store in this town . No where ever seems to have what I need. I ended up buying 7/16-14 UNC x 3/4" long bolts. I threw on some metric washers, I believe 14mm, because they have a smaller OD than 7/16 washers. The coupler nuts are 7/16 thread x 1.75" long.

Bolts installed, viewing from the inside of the frame looking back...
    I did put a drop of blue loc-tite on these to make sure they stay in place.

Quick jack mounting points as viewed from the back.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-18-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Frank,

I used some aluminum tube as a spacer on the tank strap bolts to help straighten them up. Mine looked the same as yours without the tubing.

Dave
    Good idea Dave! I'll get some tube and give it a try. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 05-14-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice headway, Frank, and the rear axle looks fantastic.

Post #127 gave me a chuckle. I spent over 30 hrs chasing my tail with my IRS rear gear pattern, then I bought the same book. I kinda wish I'd switched the order.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank,

First no need to apologize in post #204. Glad it all worked out.

How long are the 7/16" coupler nuts you bought? You said a 3/4" long bolt but nothing on the nuts. Looks like about 2 inches?

Thanks

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ibele View Post
    Nice headway, Frank, and the rear axle looks fantastic.

Post #127 gave me a chuckle. I spent over 30 hrs chasing my tail with my IRS rear gear pattern, then I bought the same book. I kinda wish I'd switched the order.
    Ha ha, I'm starting to think we all have those moments.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    Frank,

First no need to apologize in post #204. Glad it all worked out.

How long are the 7/16" coupler nuts you bought? You said a 3/4" long bolt but nothing on the nuts. Looks like about 2 inches?

Thanks

Steve
    You are close. They are 1.75" long. They were the only option, so I went with it. I've read of other's using 1/2" long bolt, but I could find any of those in 7/16". That's also one of the reasons I decided to use a washer under the bolt, (to reduce the thread engagement).
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so through out this build I've wondered where some of you guys are finding your information in the manual. I just wasn't seeing some of it. In fact, I've heard other people say the manual is pretty good...I was really starting to disagree with that. Well tonight, I was trying to figure out what do do with all these pedal box parts. There is nothing in the manual about the Wilwood pedal box. That's when I noticed....I have the base kit manual. LOL no wonder there's a lot of stuff left out of it. Hopefully FFR will send me the right one. I think it'll make the build a little easier.

[/url]
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-18-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Serial #9158

18. Likes Justin P liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brother that only goes to show how good you are.....the instructions are cheating...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasommer View Post
    Hey Brother that only goes to show how good you are.....the instructions are cheating...lol
    haha, thanks! I've been doing a lot of looking at pictures on this forum. That helps a lot.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Ok, so through out this build I've wondered where some of you guys are finding your information in the manual. I just wasn't seeing some of it. In fact, I've heard other people say the manual is pretty good...I was really starting to disagree with that. Well tonight, I was trying to figure out what do do with all these pedal box parts. There is nothing in the manual about the Wilwood pedal box. That's when I noticed....I have the base kit manual. LOL no wonder there's a lot of stuff left out of it. Hopefully FFR will send me the right one. I think it'll make the build a little easier.

Okay, that makes sense. I was thinking, "how did he get that far ahead of me, tracking down two kids and still getting to the fuel tank before I did?" Then I saw photos without anything done with the pedal box. Now I know why

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, that makes sense. I was thinking, "how did he get that far ahead of me, tracking down two kids and still getting to the fuel tank before I did?" Then I saw photos without anything done with the pedal box. Now I know why
    Yep, I've been jumping around a bit and doing some things out of order. Or at least what I thought was out of order.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't have a lot of time to devote to the Cobra this weekend, but I still managed to make a little progress. We cut out the opening in the firewall for the heater and temporarily installed the firewall on the frame. I am considering Mike Forte's mechanical throttle linkage. Would this be a good time to install it? Or is it better to do once I have the engine between the frame rails? Also...is this the time to rivet the firewall? Or can we still do it later? Thanks!

I printed the pattern in the back of the instructions at 100% scale and cut it out with scissors and my precision surgery scalpel.

The instructions suggested checking the pattern to the heater. Good thing I did, the holes were off far enough that the grommets wouldn't have fit right.

I relocated the holes...

And taped the pattern to the firewall...

I used a combination of metal cutting shears, drill bits, and hole saws to cut out the holes.

Then using a die grinder, I smoothed out the sharp edges...

The boys came out and helped drill holes and cleco...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-18-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    "I am considering Mike Forte's mechanical throttle linkage. Would this be a good time to install it? Or is it better to do once I have the engine between the frame rails?"

The linkage was quite easy to install after my BluePrint engine was in the bay. I was able to line it up and check clearance. It turned out I had enough room to mount the support arms in the 2 X 2 frame, rather than just into the aluminum as per the directions, which makes for a much more secure mounting. Also I was able to put the hole in the foot box exactly where the rod exits which may be hard to do before the foot box inner panel is mounted.

Brien
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    "I am considering Mike Forte's mechanical throttle linkage. Would this be a good time to install it? Or is it better to do once I have the engine between the frame rails?"

The linkage was quite easy to install after my BluePrint engine was in the bay. I was able to line it up and check clearance. It turned out I had enough room to mount the support arms in the 2 X 2 frame, rather than just into the aluminum as per the directions, which makes for a much more secure mounting. Also I was able to put the hole in the foot box exactly where the rod exits which may be hard to do before the foot box inner panel is mounted.

Brien
    Thanks, very helpful info. Sounds like I'll wait on installing the linkage then. I was also curious if the linkage comes with instructions, but it sounds like it does. Are the instructions tailored for certain engines, or is do they show the linkage assembled to the car the same way regardless of the engine?
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice start on the heater, Frank. I don’t remember and I’m not familiar enough to determine from your picture - firewall forward option? I’ve got the heater but would still like a real glovebox so I’ll likely go that route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big points for the job you've done with the basic manual!!! I'm sure FF will straighten that out for you!! Keep up the good work!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice start on the heater, Frank. I don’t remember and I’m not familiar enough to determine from your picture - firewall forward option? I’ve got the heater but would still like a real glovebox so I’ll likely go that route.
    Thanks! My firewall is in the factory location. I'm planning to use a shallow glove box, so that I can fit it with the FFR heater. I'm going to get one of Alex's shallow glove boxes or design my own and 3D print it with my son's 3D printer.

Here's a link to Alex's boxes...
    http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Gloveboxes.htm
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 05-23-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    Big points for the job you've done with the basic manual!!! I'm sure FF will straighten that out for you!! Keep up the good work!
    Higgy
    Haha, Thanks! Factory Five took care of me. I got the complete kit manual last night. It's has soooo much more of the info that pertains to my build...
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    This post has been in the works for several weeks. We've been working on the pedal box, but progress has slowed due to life happening. All good stuff though, and I'm not complaining one bit. We went to the Tetons and Yellowstone and also had a fun multi day kayak trip down the Niobrara River near Valentine Nebraska. All that and my oldest son has started a lawn mowing business that involves me a little more than I would like to be. Between all of that, I've been working on the car when I can. This weekend we got the pedal box installed. Here are the pics from the last few weeks...

I decided to paint the steel parts that are concealed under the body. I personally can't justify the extra cost of powder coating. I think this is a good alternative.

My painting setup...

Assembling the switch brackets and switches to the pedal box...

Assembling the FFR clutch quadrant to the pedal. It took a little filing of the pedal to get it to fit...

The assembled quadrant and pedal...

The Wilwood pedal box attached to FFR's pedal box bracket...

The pedal box assembled to the frame...
    I did have two or three rivets interfere with the pedal box mounting bracket. The rivets that caused problems were the the ones I installed to attach the front of the foot box. Whoops. I ended up drilling them out.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 10-18-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Next up, preparing the master cylinders...

I cut off 5/8" (per the manual) using my dremel...

Wyatt, working on the throttle pedal. I'm planning on getting Forte's mechanical linkage, so I didn't hook up the cable that FFR supplies. (NOTE: I ended up swapping the FFR throttle pedal for a Russ Thompson go pedal, see post 446)

Here's a view from the driver's side of the cockpit. Looking good.

We had to mount the steering wheel up and fashion a temporary seat from scrap wood and a life jacket. Worked great and we got a feel for driving it. And yes, we all made car noises when behind the wheel.

The assembled pedal box...

A final note, this is a lot easier with the proper manual. I keep chuckling about me using the wrong one.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 07-07-2020 at 07:05 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that manual looks a lot different than what I had to work with......looks much improved. Keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a fun little side project on the car. I picked up some BPE tire stickers from tirestickers.com to show support to my indirect sponsor (i.e. They give me a paycheck for my services and I buy car parts )

The first and most important step is to clean the tires really good. Tirestickers.com suggests acetone or brake cleaner. I tried a bottle of Westley's Bleach White that I've had for years. You need to clean the tires until black no longer comes off with you wipe it with a rag. I sprayed the bleach white on, let it sit for a minute or so, scrubbed it with a brush, then rinsed it off with the hose. I did two or three cleans per tire and they passed the white rag test. My tires are used, so results may vary with new tires.

Next step; Clean the back of the tire sticker to ensure a good bond. I used a little brake cleaner on a rag. Just enough to remove any junk that's stuck to the back of the sticker. After that locate the sticker on the tire. I located mine by lining up the piston in the center of the logo with the spokes of the wheel and by measuring from the wheel to the bottom of the stripe in the decal.

After locating the sticker, flip the decal up so you can access the bottom of a couple letters. Apply glue. Do one or two letters at a time. Apply just enough to have glue on the bottom of all the decal, but not too much that it will squish out the sides when you apply the decal and not to little that it won't adhere the whole letter. This is the part I struggled with the most. I had a hard time finding the sweet spot between to little and too much. You really don't need much for it to stick. Once the glue is applied, flip the letters down on the tire, quickly double check your alignment, then add pressure for 30 seconds to the letters you just glued so that they can begin to bond. After the first few are down, work your way thru the rest of the letters until all are done. Wait about 10 minutes and peel off the overlay material. There are two layers, so make sure to get them both. Let the glue dry for awhile (30 mins or so). Once they are bonded, go back and check the corners and edges. If any of them don't have a solid bond to the tire add a little glue and hand pressure to make sure they stick. Finally step back and enjoy the new look.

As I did these, I got the hang of how much glue I should be using. The first few had way too much and some of the glue oozed out the sides. I'm not too thrilled with that, as I think it looks sloppy. After they dry really good. I'm going to go back and clean up some of the glue with a q-tip dipped in acetone. I'll let you know how it works out.

The stripe under the big letters made this a lot more complicated than tirestickers.com typical sticker. Each of the small letters and the white stripes in the large strip is a separate piece. They wanted to fall out every time I bent the decal back to apply glue, so that added to the challenge. Overall, I like the way they look on the car. I'm a fan of white walls, whiter letters, and logos on tires, so this was right up my alley.

Last edited by Yama-Bro; 06-28-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, the stickers sure looks good! I need something like - 'front' 'rear' for my boys!
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Man, the stickers sure looks good! I need something like - 'front' 'rear' for my boys!
    That would be funny! Front, rear, left right, clockwise, counter-clockwise. LOL. It's like a preschool learning toy and a race car.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    We continue to make slow but steady progress. I took the two days off after the 4th last week. We fit up, drilled, and cleco'ed the passenger side foot box, and the cockpit floor and under door panels. Based off suggestions on this forum, I'm assembling these panels temporarily that way we can take it apart alter on for access, if needed.

Day 1:
    Cleco'ing this first piece. The passenger side footbox top. The boys lost interest not too long into the drilling and fitting of the panels. I can't blame them. It is a little repetitive.

Inside view of the foot box once assembled...

I didn't go back and look at any of the pictures I took when we took the panels off the frame. I relied solely on the marker markings I put on them. My marking system worked really good. The manual has good instructions for these steps as well.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 07-09-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Aluminum panels continued, Day 2:

Passenger side floor install. Cody was back with me this day...

Passenger side under door panel...

I was really glad Cody was helping out on the driver's side lower floor. I didn't feel like laying on the floor that day...

Driver's side lower floor viewed from inside the cockpit...
    Are we supposed to rivet this panel to the 2" round tube?

Driver's side floor...
    We were putting Clecos in every hole on earlier panels, mostly because the kids wanted to, but now that we are holding several panels on at a time we had to spread them a little thin. I'm almost wishing I would have bought another 100 (currently have 100). I do like putting several in while drilling. It seems to minimize panel shift.

Driver's side under door panel...

Overview of the cockpit's current state of assembly...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 07-09-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter how many clecos you have, it never quite seems to be enough...
    I used the minimum to hold each panel in place and still, except the floors, they required some force to keep in place due to the long bend not quite fitting right, so I wound up clecoing every hole as I drilled them, almost 70 clecos each if I recall correctly.
    That has been by far the worst part for me. I only get an hour or two to work here of there so it seems like I have been fitting panels for months now. I feel your boy's pain. That job is making me look forward to electrical, of all things...
    Keep up the good work and keep the boys involved!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeAIII View Post
    No matter how many clecos you have, it never quite seems to be enough...
    I used the minimum to hold each panel in place and still, except the floors, they required some force to keep in place due to the long bend not quite fitting right, so I wound up clecoing every hole as I drilled them, almost 70 clecos each if I recall correctly.
    That has been by far the worst part for me. I only get an hour or two to work here of there so it seems like I have been fitting panels for months now. I feel your boy's pain. That job is making me look forward to electrical, of all things...
    Keep up the good work and keep the boys involved!
    Hmmm, the fit of my panels were great. I was actually impressed on how good they lined up. I must've got lucky on this one.

I know what you are saying on the few hours a week too. I usually get more than that per week, but our week nights are usually packed with stuff, so it makes it tough to get car time, especially if we have something going on the weekends too. I just keep reminding myself that it's not a race. I've heard a lot of people say that they wish they spent more time enjoying the build, so I'm trying to do my best to bask in the glory of it.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 07-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you tired of drilling holes yet? I was happy when I got past this part of the build. Seems to be a theme for me though

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast