Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  101
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Yama-Bro's MK4 Build Thread - #9158 (Index in Post #1)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good! I wouldn't hassle over the unions..you're good to go!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Very nicely done, Frank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    2x... Very nice & clean install!
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Looks good! I wouldn't hassle over the unions..you're good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMeindl View Post
    Man, looks good, Yama-Bro! Great pictures, as always - makes it easy to follow what's going on!
    Pete, I noticed the big clear pictures from multiple angles is really handy when I look at other peoples' build threads, so I'm hoping mine will help someone out as well.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

3. Likes Higgybulin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Thanks guys!

Pete, I noticed the big clear pictures from multiple angles is really handy when I look at other peoples' build threads, so I'm hoping mine will help someone out as well.
    Yeah, they help me out a TON! I can tell you that i have the factory five manual open AND your thread open whenever we work on the car. Thank you!
    Last edited by PeteMeindl; 12-20-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good!!!!!!
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMeindl View Post
    Yeah, they help me out a TON! I can tell you that i have the factory five manual open AND your thread open whenever we work on the car. Thank you!
    Thanks man! That's awesome! I'm really glad to give back to the forum!
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my fuel filter install. I shamelessly copied Papa's solution, because it's damn near perfect. Thanks Papa . I bought a larger OD filter than Papa, so I bought a bigger sized roll bar bracket (same brand). I'm using a billet Summit 10 micron filter, part number SUM-230123B, ...click here and a GS Power 1.75" roll bar bracket from Amazon...click here. The filter fits in this bracket like it was made for it. It has a nice (vinyl?) sleeve inside the bracket that holds the filter secure.

I drilled three holes for 3/16" rivets in the bracket for mounting to the frame...

Here's the bracket attached to the frame with the filter in it. Great fit. Don't forget to orient the filter for the proper direction of flow. This is a view looking down from the top. It's tough to tell in this picture, but I have the bracket mounted to the frame so that the filter sits as high in the frame as possible. Basically the flat side of the bracket that you'd normally mount to your object is facing down and the opposite side (the surface that has the words, in the pic above) is up against the frame with the round part of the bracket overhanging the side of the frame tubing. This allows the filter to be up and out of the way, but I still have easy access to the bolt and to remove the filter when needed.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 12-22-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    Serial #9158

8. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, Frank. There's no shame in using anything shared on this forum. That's what it's all about!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

10. Thanks Yama-Bro thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Good..!!

12. Thanks Yama-Bro thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the fuel lines are finally done. I completed the install of the flexible lines last night...

When I read the description of the Fragola push lock hose and fittings I got the impression you can simply assemble them by hand. Well, I must be weak because it wasn't happening for me. Of course, there's a $300 tool you can buy to put them together, but I didn't think it was justifiable for a few little hoses, so I decided to figure out another way to do it. I went through about three variations of homemade fixtures before I ended up with this setup. I also used a spray lube, some heat, and my hydraulic press and they went together without a complaint.

Here are the completed hoses and the stuff I used to assemble them. I used an extra adaptor fitting that I had laying around to keep from scratching the one that was going on the hose.
    The parts I used are:
    Fragola hose (15ft, plenty for the front too), p/n: 815006
    Fragola straight push lock fittings (6): 200106-BL
    Russell 6AN to inverted flare adaptor fitting: 640610

Here are the hoses going to the tank...

This is a shot of the hoses on their way to the filter and the hard lines. I attached a p-clamp to the filter bracket to route the return line thru.

The connections to the filter and to the hard lines...

Connections to the hard lines...
    I used Russell adaptors (p/n: 640610) Click Here to go from the AN-6 on the flexible lines to the hard lines. I bought the wrong ones the first time, hence the reason I had an extra adaptors laying around.

A lot of guys on here have mentioned it's two steps forward one step back a lot of times with these builds...well, that's just what I had with this portion of the build. I originally attached the hard lines to the frame with vinyl coated p-clamps. On a couple of the clamps the vinyl peeled off before I had them riveted to the frame. I wasn't thrilled about that, so I removed all the clamps and replaced them with p clamps with rubber sleeves. They turned out a lot nicer. I'm pretty happy with them now. I updated my pictures above to show the new rubber line p-clamps.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 01-15-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Serial #9158

14. Likes Straversi, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good! Came out very nice and professional looking.

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's the updates?!!!
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey hey. Thanks for checking on me. I don't have any updates. LOL. I've been slacking for the last month and a half. It's been really cold here in Nebraska. My little garage heater can get the air temp down to a comfortable level after running for a few hours, but everything else is still cold (tools, floor, etc.). I just don't enjoy going out there when it's cold, so I decided to wait until it warms up. I guess I'm a fair weather builder. I'm sure it's not as bad as what you are used to LOL. I had plans to build my engine during February and March at work, but I've had a change in direction concerning the engine. It's going to delay my build quite a bit, but I think it'll be well worth it. To keep myself busy I've been remodeling my wife's kitchen, which is kinda payment for letting me get the car in the first place (time to pay the piper). I also got a screaming deal on a high end 1/24 scale slot car set, so the boys and I have been having fun with that. With all that being said, I am jonesin to get out and work on the car.
    Serial #9158

18. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "My wife's kitchen" !!! Lol, I love it! My shop definitly has a big heater and lots of installation! I also took the leap and my completion date at FF is March 30th. I'll be picking it up myself and then working on catching you!!! Probably good your giving the child labour a break anyways, sounds like good times!
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Did somebody say slot cars? Lol They’ve come a long way from my 60’s and 70’s as a kid...,

Kurt

https://youtu.be/GtwkRd6zHwg
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Did somebody say slot cars? Lol They’ve come a long way from my 60’s and 70’s as a kid...,

Kurt

https://youtu.be/GtwkRd6zHwg
    You aren't joking about them coming a long ways! When I was a kid, I remember playing with the analog set my Dad still had from when he was a kid. It was pretty basic and got boring after awhile. The one we got is a Carrera Digital 124 set. It has lane changing, big cars, wireless controllers, pit stops, adjustable brakes/throttle/fuel levels, allows several cars per track (even on the same lane), ghost cars, and lap timing. I even have an app that controls the whole thing from my phone. You can setup races and even simulate weather with it. LOL. I cast that from my phone to my projector and show the current race standings on the wall. It's really fun. I had a guys night at my house a few weeks back. Basically, a bunch of friends came over for adult beverages. When I told them about it, they were a little apprehensive about "playing" with slot cars at first, but once I showed them a lap with my vette drifting around corners and the lap tracking software, they were hooked. We raced for 3 hours. LOL. A couple of those guys are looking to get their own tracks. I'm planning to build my own custom slot car with a Cobra body next.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 02-27-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    "My wife's kitchen" !!! Lol, I love it! My shop definitly has a big heater and lots of installation! I also took the leap and my completion date at FF is March 30th. I'll be picking it up myself and then working on catching you!!! Probably good your giving the child labour a break anyways, sounds like good times!
    Yeah, insulation really helps. LOL The the exterior walls and ceiling of my garage aren't insulated. So that doesn't make it any better. I need to do that someday too. Congrats on your order! I'll be taking hints from your build thread before I know it. Haha!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo, I finally got back to working on the Cobra this weekend. It felt great to make some progress. I took a break because it was bone chilling cold here in Nebraska and we were giving the kitchen a facelift...and I may have been racing slot cars inside where it was warm . Well, the weather finally turned and the kitchen is almost done, so we're back at it.

I recruited Cody for some brake bleeding. First we bench bled the master cylinders in the car. Next we bled the rear brakes then the front. Here's Cody doing the pumping. We had a sizable leak where the blue paper towel is, right above the steering linkage. I loosened and re tightened the fitting once and got the leak down to a minuscule seep. I'll work on this more in the coming days. Worst case, we'll need to redo the flare or possibly the whole tube.

I decided to use Dot 3&4 brake fluid. We tried using the harbor freight pneumatic bleeder, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. We went thru several cycles of my air compressor refilling before I gave up on it. Bummer. So we defaulted to the old school pumping of the brakes, which worked great. I used this little tool that I had from my ATV days (see the small silver cylinder in the picture). It attaches to the bleeder valve with clear hoses and only allows the fluid and air to flow one direction. It really helps keep the air out.

After we did a couple stops in the garage, we sent it down the driveway for a brake check. They work! Click the picture to see the video.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 03-25-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Serial #9158

24. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello sir, your braking skills are impressive!

I am thinking about checking my brakes again, it feels bit spongy. Can you please elaborate on...."I used this little tool that I had from my ATV days (see the small silver cylinder in the picture). It attaches to the bleeder valve with clear hoses and only allows the fluid and air to flow one direction. It really helps keep the air out."

I will be pumping them as well, just not sure that little thingamagic is
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a 1-way check valve. Thats how I bleed brakes by myself.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Its a 1-way check valve. Thats how I bleed brakes by myself.
    Oh, got it! I used some empty bottles filled with dot fluid. The house would be submerged, so I can see the air bubbles. It was kinda redneck style bleeding, but I will invest in this gadget to make it more professional
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hello sir, your braking skills are impressive!

I am thinking about checking my brakes again, it feels bit spongy. Can you please elaborate on...."I used this little tool that I had from my ATV days (see the small silver cylinder in the picture). It attaches to the bleeder valve with clear hoses and only allows the fluid and air to flow one direction. It really helps keep the air out."

I will be pumping them as well, just not sure that little thingamagic is
    Thanks! I haven't done brake bleeding on a car for a long long time.

After I went back and read my post I realized my description of the tool was pretty vague. Sorry about that. LOL. Thanks for covering for me Boyd!

Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Oh, got it! I used some empty bottles filled with dot fluid. The house would be submerged, so I can see the air bubbles. It was kinda redneck style bleeding, but I will invest in this gadget to make it more professional
    This is the one I have...
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...rake-bleeder-p

I think this is something similar from Summit for less money...
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...CABEgKVqPD_BwE
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 03-25-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I conquered my leak. I tried loosening and re-tightening several times. It didn't help. So I took off the whole line, cut off the leaky flare, and then re-flared the end. I put it back together. This weekend my friend Clint was over so I had him help me bleed them. There were no leaks. I guess that's the hazards of using a cheap flaring tool. In my mind, one leaky flare out of all of them we did isn't bad at all. Next up...wiring harness. If everything goes as planned I'll have most of the day Friday to work on it.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank-

Your brakes looked good in the video. I have to say though, your engine is crazy quiet!! Is it a hybrid? ;-o)

Good luck on the electrical. That part has slowed me down quite a bit. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Frank-

Your brakes looked good in the video. I have to say though, your engine is crazy quiet!! Is it a hybrid? ;-o)

Good luck on the electrical. That part has slowed me down quite a bit. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Steve
    Haha, it's just a stealth exhaust system .

I did record another video where the kids were pushing while I was sitting in the car steering it down our street. I thought it would be funny to add some engine sounds to that one. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough daylight and the video quality didn't come out good. Maybe next time.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, Frank! I sent you a PM.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

33. Likes Yama-Bro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Friday was a beautiful day and I spent almost all of it out in the garage. We focused on loosely installing the wiring harness. I'll have to go back and put p-clamps on the frame to secure the harness, but we got the whole thing in place and temporarily held on by wire ties.

We drilled 1.25" holes in the fire wall per the instructions. I was a little confused by the instructions. I wasn't sure if I need two or three holes. I have a feeling I'm going to need to go back and drill a third.

Wyatt helped me assemble The fuse panel...

We got it into the frame and realized that FFR forgot to bend the tab on the fuse panel bracket that attaches to the 2 x 2" frame tube. Not a biggie. We stuck it in the vice and used a 2 x 4 to bend the part. The fuse panel bracket is pretty flimsy once attached to the frame. I've seen others make brackets that attach it to the frame on the unsupported end. I think I'll be doing the same on mine. You can also see where we attached the ground, just to the right of the fuse panel in this picture. I figured it would be easy access here if I ever need to do some cleaning or maintenance to it.

About the time Wyatt was loosing interest, my friend Lance came over and gave me a hand. We laid out the main harness...

And connected that to the front harness, which takes care of connections to the lights, turn signals, horn, and radiator fan...

The main harness comes around behind the dash for all kinds of connections, like the heater, windshield wipers, gages, controls, etc...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 04-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    Serial #9158

35. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We plugged the rear harness into the main harness and ran it thru the transmission tunnel to the back of the car...

And here is the rear harness into the rear. It goes to the taillights, fuel tank and license plate lights. I was pleasantly surprised to see the harness plug right into my Pro-M fuel pump hanger.

After that I decided to get permanent on the fire wall, so we gave it the brushed effect and a coat of shark hide and slapped it in place.

Wyatt jumped right on rivet duty...

Here's the brushed panel attached to the frame...

I was really impressed with this harness. It's very well labeled and thought out. It went in easy. No complaints at all.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 04-22-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    This weekend I planned to start on my dash, but I realized I can't figure out my glove box until the heater is in place. So I installed the heater. While I was at it, I decided to permanently attach the passenger side foot box and upper forward transmission cover to the frame...

Here's the heater in the firewall. I'm putting a couple extra pictures up for this because, before I ordered my kit, this was something I couldn't wrap my head around how it went to together. So I hope this will help someone...

Here's a shot from the side. The tube directly behind the heater is what the dash mounts to. The FFR heater and glove box don't play well together, because they share the same space. I'm planning to do like some others have done and make a shallow glove box that'll work with the heater.

Here are my brushed passenger footbox panels. They are looking pretty good, if I do so so myself.

I didn't permanently install my outer panel, so I have access for carpet and anything else I may need to get in there for.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 04-29-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Dash time! I took Friday off and spent the whole day laying out the dash. I didn't get anything attached to the car permanently, but it answered a lot of burning questions I had about the dash and all the things going on with it. I spent a lot of time just thinking about how this is going to function when I'm driving it and also trying to get the look just right.

I took the hard road for the dash. Rather than going with Factory Five's premade dash, I wanted to replicate a competition style gauge layout from an original car, so I'm starting with a blank dash. Here, I'm laying out the gauges, switches, knobs, and glove box where I think they should be. You can see I have some inspiration and some dimensions to start with. I'm planning to design my own glove box and door to go along with this dash. All the measuring and drawing with rulers took me back to my early board drafting roots. Pretty fun. When's the last time you used a drafting compass?

After I got everything marked up, I placed the dash in the car. I'm checking for line of sight and access to everything. I want it to look like a vintage lay out, but also want it to be intuitive. I made a few personal changes.

I put the seat in with spacers to simulate the seat sliders I'm going to add later...

Here's basically what it will look like from the driver's seat for me. I'm pretty happy with this. Do you guys see any issues in the layout?
    -I'm going to put the turn signal switch to the left of the steering wheel under the water temp gauge. You can just see it's markings thru the spoke of the steering wheel. I'm going to mount it horizontally so the switch goes left or right to coincide with the direction I want to turn.
    -The key switch will be to the left of the high beam switch, which is left of the speedo.
    -The horn will be directly above the key switch. It will be easy and quick to reach from the steering wheel.
    -Right of the speedo, bottom row, is head light pull, and heater pull
    -Right of the speedo, top row, is hazard switch and the wiper switch. I'm hoping to find a easy replacement to make the wiper switch a vintage looking knob.
    -Above the high beam switch is the manual fan override switch.
    -I'm planning on having at least one indicator light for the fan. Otherwise I'm going to rely on the LEDs in the speedo for turn and bright indicators.

This is what I am trying to duplicate. This technically this isn't an original Cobra, but it's got the look I'm after...
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 05-10-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    Serial #9158

39. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deja-Vu...

(PM me if you want a dimensioned pdf of my dash... it'd be interesting to compare)
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixit, We are definitely heading down the same path as far as the dash and glove box are concerned. I sent you a PM.

Here's the layout that I started with. I found this in a folder on my computer. I've been downloading build stuff for over a decade, otherwise I would've been scouring the net like you.. I have no idea where this file originated, so if anyone knows who made it originally, post up and give them some credit. Thanks!
    The changes I made were mostly around the steering wheel:
    -Moved the speedo to the left .75" and down about .375"
    -Moved the oil pressure gauge to the left .375" (centered above the wheel)
    -Moved the fan light to the left .1875"
    -I moved hole for the keyswitch to the right and made it the hole for the turn signal switch.
    -The rest of the changes were just rearranging switches and controls in the locations. They should all be explained above.
    Also, just a warning to anyone using this...I haven't verified any of the hole sizes, so proceed with caution if you use the layout.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 05-12-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    Serial #9158

42. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The dimensioned (2nd pic) drawing is also one that I'd found, and was a base for starting from...

Fixits_SCdash.png

The dimensions didn't convert too well from pdf to png, but they're readable.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mail call!...special delivery from across the pond...reproductions of the Lucas knobs that were in some of the original Cobras. I've found that "working on the car" doesn't always mean I'll be turning a wrench in the garage. Sometimes "working on the car" is in the form of scouring the internet for hard to find parts. I had to do some digging to find these. I'm excited that I got them! I think they are going to make my dash look just the way I want it.

I remember reading a post once talking about how to keep the build moving along a a good steady pace. I think it was EdwardB . The post said something along the order of; to keep the build moving along at a decent pace you have to be one step ahead on parts ordering/sourcing so that when you get done with your current task, you already have the parts to start the next one. Definitely wise words. Well, I'm not doing good with that advice. HAHA. It seems like I've been thin on time since I started this project, but that's ok, I just keep reminding my self it's not a race. I keep inching forward. I'll worry about going fast when I'm done and driving the car.

Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I have almost the same photo of my son riviting inside the engine bay! It's great seeing kids working along side on these projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraTroy View Post
    I have almost the same photo of my son riviting inside the engine bay! It's great seeing kids working along side on these projects.
    I agree. I love it when they are out there helping. Sometimes they loose interest or get distracted, but I'm just glad when they are there.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Mail call!...special delivery from across the pond...reproductions of the Lucas knobs that were in some of the original Cobras. I've found that "working on the car" doesn't always mean I'll be turning a wrench in the garage. Sometimes "working on the car" is in the form of scouring the internet for hard to find parts. I had to do some digging to find these. I'm excited that I got them! I think they are going to make my dash look just the way I want it.

I remember reading a post once talking about how to keep the build moving along a a good steady pace. I think it was EdwardB . The post said something along the order of; to keep the build moving along at a decent pace you have to be one step ahead on parts ordering/sourcing so that when you get done with your current task, you already have the parts to start the next one. Definitely wise words. Well, I'm not doing good with that advice. HAHA. It seems like I've been thin on time since I started this project, but that's ok, I just keep reminding my self it's not a race. I keep inching forward. I'll worry about going fast when I'm done and driving the car.

Source for these please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, no problem. The short version of the story...I got them from Ashley Hinton in the UK via US eBay... https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/ah/

The long version of the story...I originally found them on the UK eBay site (not the US version). They were under three separate listings. I didn't think I could log onto eBay UK with my eBay US account, so I read the listing closely and noticed the sellers contact info in the description. I tried contacting them thru their email and thru eBay UK, but got no response. Determined to get the knobs, I tried logging onto the UK eBay site using my eBay US log in info. Surprise! It worked. I added the knobs to the cart, but decided to wait a couple days to see if I would get a response to the previously sent messages. I never did get a response, but the next time I was on the US eBay site, I noticed those items in my recently browsed history. Weird. I clicked on them and noticed those 3 listings were now on eBay US. I don't know if Ashley Hinton added them on the US site because of my messages or eBay did it automatically. I didn't really need to know. I bought them on eBay US and had them in my hands in about 4 days. The only reason I'm posting the long version is because you may have to go thru similar steps to get the knobs as I did and the backstory may help.

They cost me about $165 with shipping. A little steep, but I really wanted them to complete the look of my dash.

On a side note. Ashley Hinton also has the original style foot box vent butterflies for about 70 British pounds. Even with the conversion rate that's about a third of the cost of the ones on Cobra restorers.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 06-03-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Serial #9158

49. Thanks Radman73 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cut some holes in the dash this weekend...

I picked up one of the General Tools circle cutters off Amazon. It worked great for cutting the bigger holes. To get it set to the correct diameter, I measured from the outside edge of the cutter to the outside edge of the drill bit with my digital calipers. I made that distance equal to the radius (half the diameter)+ .125" (half the drill bit). Like others have posted elsewhere on this site, make sure to put a flat chunk of wood underneath to make the panel stay flat and cut evenly. It would also help to clamp the panel to that board for the same reason. And...definitely make some test cuts to get familiar with it. I did find it a bit unnerving cutting into my new dash on the first "real" cut.

This is something I haven't seen anyone else on this site do, so I thought I post it up. Most everyone hides the light dimmer knob/switch out of sight. Since I found the vintage knobs, one of which is a dimmer, I decided to put it right out there on the dash for the whole world to see. I just drilled a hole for the switch and another to allow the clocking tab to pass thru the panel and keep the switch from rotating.

Yes, I know the small hole for the locating tab will show up under the vinyl dash covering, but I figure it'll be in an inconspicuous location and will be barely noticeable. I may put a slightly over sized washer under the nut to cover this up.

And here it is with knob sitting in place. I need to get some hex material to fill the hole in the knob in and then machine it so the knob fits the switch and is functional.

Wyatt helped populate the dash with components...

The dash in the car. I still need to do the hole for the keyswitch, heater controls, and windshield wiper switch. If anyone has suggestions on how they did the holes for the "D" shaped shaft controls, I'd be interested in hearing them.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 06-11-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work, Frank! Nice to see your son still interested, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed to get a few hours in the garage this weekend to work on the Cobra. I figured out the general location for dash mounting screws and put three more holes in the dash panel; keyswitch, headlight switch, and heater control knob. All of these are holes that are either D shaped or have a keyway. I drilled the holes out with drill bits or a hole saw, then used needle files to finish out the details. Now I have a bunch stuff to order before I can go much farther on the dash...

Keyswitch hole. You can see the small keyway on the top of the hole. Just enough to keep the switch from rotating in the hole when you turn the key. I filed that out with needle files.

Head light hole. It has a key way similar to the key switch hole. I had to trim the tab on the head light switch so it sits flush with the face of the dash once it's inserted thru the dash. I used the Moto tool for that.
    Heater hole. I drilled a undersized hole that was the same size as the radius of the flat on the heater control switch. I hogged out the rest of the hole with the Moto tool. Then finished it off with the needle files.
    Serial #9158

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast